safe formula preparation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am supplementing my 5 week old with Earth's Best organic formula, and I am confused about preparation. Should I be boiling the water before mixing? Should it be filtered water? what is a good filtration system to use? Does the water need to be warm when mixing? What is the best way to to take formula with you when you leave the house for more than an hour or so?
Thanks for any and all tips!

Aimee, mom to Mirah b. 08/09/08
and my angel, Nico, , lost to us at 19 weeks gestation, 12/27/12
Longing for our rainbow
#2 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always just use warm tap water or I had something like a Brita and I would warm the water up in the microwave for a few secs before adding formula. When we're on the go, I just take a bottle of hot water and add formula when necessary. At worst, it's still best than what a water fountain could give or just use a bottle of room temp water. My kids preferred the bottle be a little warm, but grew into room temp.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#3 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 09:51 AM

why are you supplementing? are you pumping to replace that feeding that you are missing?
#4 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

we have been unable to breastfeed for a number of reasons...I am pumping 8 times a day but only get about a 1/3 of what she is eating...(about an ounce each pumping session)

Longing for our rainbow
#5 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 AM

We use the water that comes out of our fridge (which is filtered) without any problems. So if you don't have that kind of fridge, maybe a Brita type filter or a faucet filter would help. If you're on a good city water system, I wouldn't be too worried about the water itself as long as you use a filter on your end to get out the extra chemicals that baby doesn't need. If you have any reason to doubt your water supply (as in a private well system of dubious nature or you know you have a lead service - we do), then do filtered or bottled.

For on the go, we fill the bottles up with just water and then we have a segmented cup that holds 3 servings of formula. That way we can mix it as we need it. We have been known to carry around a mixed bottle for an hour though if we knew he was going to drink it soon, although DS was a bit older at that point. We were never that diligent about the warnings I guess.

I know where you're coming from, ...

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#6 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 AM

Have you seen a good LC? I mean, at 5 weeks, there's still time to reestablish nursing at the breast, and it's so much easier than what you're going through with so much pumping and bottles and supplementing, you know?

Sorry not to answer the question, I don't know anything about formula.
#7 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

I've seen 4 lactation consultants and have been trying very hard to breastfeed. I need to feed my baby formula or she will not get enough food.

Longing for our rainbow
#8 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 12:10 PM

I understand the challenges that you are facing...!!!

High quality city water may not require filtering or sterilizing. But, I have always been concerned about both (even though we have high quality water). Both issues are easily dealt with through the use of a Brita filter (on the faucet or in a pitcher) and boiling the water (a tea kettle works well). The water does not need to be warm in order to mix the formula. You may find that your LO prefers a warmer bottle, while others prefer a cooler one. My LO's bottles are usually room temperature.

For on the go, I have always filled bottles with the treated water (we like the Evenflo glass nursers with silicone nipples). Then, I use a segmented formula dispenser. You can add the powdered formula to each segment and prepare just the right amount when your LO is in need. Avent, Munchkin and Sassy make very inexpensive dispensers that are BPA free. I prefer the one made by Munchkin because of its design (pouring is less messy).

I would also like to add that you can maintain a great nursing relationship with your LO, even if you are primarily feeding formula. My LO and I were able to create our own and maintain it for quite some time (I wish it had been longer though!). We used an SNS (supp. nursing system) for a while, too.

I hope that I have been of help. Congratulations on being a new momma!!! :

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#9 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowave View Post
I've seen 4 lactation consultants and have been trying very hard to breastfeed. I need to feed my baby formula or she will not get enough food.
Hugs! Lots of us have btdt, it's o.k.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#10 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 01:31 PM

I keep a gallon of bottled water (I buy reverse osmosis purified) on hand to use for ds2's bottles (I also supplement). No need to boil water that has been purified. I don't like to use tap water or brita filtered water because I can taste the chlorine in both.

If you're going to be out for a while, just fill your bottles with water and take the can of powder along and mix a bottle up when she needs one. Ds2 takes a room temp. bottle just as well as a warm one.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#11 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveChild421 View Post
I keep a gallon of bottled water (I buy reverse osmosis purified) on hand to use for ds2's bottles (I also supplement). No need to boil water that has been purified. I don't like to use tap water or brita filtered water because I can taste the chlorine in both.

If you're going to be out for a while, just fill your bottles with water and take the can of powder along and mix a bottle up when she needs one. Ds2 takes a room temp. bottle just as well as a warm one.
I used reverse osmosis bottled water too. I don't like the chemicals that are in tap water like flouride, chlorine, rx medications, etc. Filters can't remove these chemicals completely.

I think formula mixes best with hot water but you could use room temp water. I either take water nd formula seperately or I take the formula and a small icepack/cooler.

Also check out Babys Only formula. It is organic like Earth's Best. I used to use Earth's Best but I had issues with the ingredients (especially Mertek's DHA supplement).
#12 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM

I am so sorry about your bf'ing difficulties!

With powdered formula you can get those little things you can take with you... Like these, but they have similar ones at Target (safe plastic, too).
http://www.safeandsecurebaby.com/Pow...in-pr-521.html

I used to keep bottled water in my car to use for on the go bottles. You can also get the RTF bottles to have on hand for emergencies. (Ready To Feed.) I've also filled up the bottle with whatever water I am using, and take that with me, then dump the formula in later. I have had to heat the water in advance, too, my girl is picky and won't take cold formula.

After a certain age it is fine to use tap water instead of boiled/sterile water. Dr. Sears has a good resource on bottlefeeding formula; I hadn't done ANY research when I had to supplement my daughter!

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/0/T000100.asp

Now I just want to throw this out there and say that IF you would like to, you *can* maintain a nursing relationship with your child, even if most of her nutrition comes from formula. That is what I wound up doing, and my daughter is 20 months and still nurses for comfort. If you aren't interested in that, please don't take my saying this as a "you should." You should only do what is best for *your* family!

I highly recommend MOBI for support and it is an excellent resource, no matter what path you follow at this point. http://www.mobimotherhood.org. No one there will try to convince you to breastfeed or make you feel like you haven't done enough. It is a wonderful group!

I hope you find some of this helpful, I am so sorry you are going through this mama! !
#13 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
I always just use warm tap water or I had something like a Brita and I would warm the water up in the microwave for a few secs before adding formula. When we're on the go, I just take a bottle of hot water and add formula when necessary. At worst, it's still best than what a water fountain could give or just use a bottle of room temp water. My kids preferred the bottle be a little warm, but grew into room temp.
Just wanted to add in a caution here that strictly speaking warm tap water isn't rec'd for drinking (stuff in the hot water pipes) so probably best to use other methids of warming the water - an electric kettle or stovetop pot.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#14 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 05:06 PM

Powdered formula is NOT sterile, and there is always a risk of contamination with E. Sakazakii or Salmonella. Because of this, powdered formula should always be prepared with water that is no cooler than 70 degrees C (to kill the bacteria). The quote below is from the following publication from the WHO on safe preparation of infant formula. Page 17 (see link):

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/public...guidelines.pdf

"4.Taking care to avoid scalds, pour the appropriate amount of boiled water that has been allowed to cool to no less than 70 °C, into a cleaned and sterilized feeding cup or bottle. To achieve this temperature, the water should be left for no more than 30 minutes after boiling."

Ideally, infants 2 months of age and younger (who are most at risk), should be fed liquid formula because it is sterile (the liquid concentrate or ready to feed).

Hope this helps, the link above has lots of good info. See page 17 for the directions for parents at home.
#15 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 05:15 PM

I'm sorry you're having a hard time! Pumping can be so draining especially when your pumping an ounce at a time.. i pump about 1/2-1oz... if you need to talk please PM me. about the formula Dr. Sears's book has a good section on formula feeding i think a PP mentioned it.. it has practical information and some good stuff about bottle nursing hang in there you're doing great.
#16 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowave View Post
Aimee. I'm right there with you. We've got latch issues, supply issues, you name it. I'm pumping 6 to 8 times a day, and am lucky to get an ounce each time. I have been to 3 lactation consultants, 4 breastfeeding counselors, and 2 doctors. No one can figure out why she will only drink 1/2 an ounce in an hour of feeding at my breast. I am exhausted by pumping, and also exhausted by feeling guilty every time I give my DD a bottle in public, like people are staring at me, evil mommy who won't breastfeed. And of course, then there's all the sadness about breastfeeding not having worked out the way I had thought it would.

Anyway, no advice about the water issue. We usually used previously boiled water from the kettle, or water from the Brita. That said, I have occasionally used water from the tap in a pinch.

On a brighter note, I notice that our daughters were born just one day apart!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#17 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 06:22 PM

[QUOTE=AngelaM;12183768] and also exhausted by feeling guilty every time I give my DD a bottle in public, like people are staring at me, evil mommy who won't breastfeed. And of course, then there's all the sadness about breastfeeding not having worked out the way I had thought it would. QUOTE]

i totally understand how you feel. i hate giving ds a a bottle in a public EBM or not and try to go out when i know he will not be eating. i want to wear a sign that explicity states I'm pumping as much as i can and wish everyt day i could pull out a boob instead of a bottle.
#18 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeysRUs View Post
Powdered formula is NOT sterile, and there is always a risk of contamination with E. Sakazakii or Salmonella. Because of this, powdered formula should always be prepared with water that is no cooler than 70 degrees C (to kill the bacteria). The quote below is from the following publication from the WHO on safe preparation of infant formula. Page 17 (see link):

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/public...guidelines.pdf

"4.Taking care to avoid scalds, pour the appropriate amount of boiled water that has been allowed to cool to no less than 70 °C, into a cleaned and sterilized feeding cup or bottle. To achieve this temperature, the water should be left for no more than 30 minutes after boiling."

Ideally, infants 2 months of age and younger (who are most at risk), should be fed liquid formula because it is sterile (the liquid concentrate or ready to feed).

Hope this helps, the link above has lots of good info. See page 17 for the directions for parents at home.
:

The WHO also suggests that if formula is made in bulk it be kept in the fridge for no more than 24 hours, and that a bottle once started by baby should be kept for no more than 2 hours.

I'd also add to be careful about pouring hot water into a plastic bottle or cup, as BPA is more likely to leach out with hot water.
#19 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 07:15 PM

just wanted to add ... not sure what bottles your using but we use glass bottles and i was hesitant at first b/c i'm not the most careful person and i was worried they would break but i love them and they are sooo much easier to clean then plastic.. they dont develop any weird smells either
#20 of 24 Old 09-16-2008, 01:37 AM

The information regarding E. Sakazakii in formula is pretty worrisome. Here is a link though which says that for a full-term, healthy baby, the risk is very very low.
http://www.nzfsa.govt.nz/consumers/f...ula-sakazakii/
Quote:
"A In the last 20 years, there have been approximately 50 cases reported worldwide of Enterobacter sakazakii infection in infants under 60 days old. Although infection is rare, infection has resulted in serious illness and death.

Most of the infants reported to have this infection were premature (born over 1 month early) or low birth weight (under 2.5 kg or 51/2 pounds), and almost all were in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Infants with HIV or other illnesses with immune suppression are also at increased risk. "
Although I personally did absolutely use this as an excuse to use liquid formula. (My husband was co-conspirator; it is just so much easier!) But the cost can be prohibitive! One other bonus of liquid formula, though, is that it is safe at room temperature (once open) for up to 4 hours. So sometimes I would make a bottle for my daughter, take it with me, and give it to her an hour later. You really can't do that with powdered formula.

FWIW I use Playtex Natural Latch nipples, which go along with the playtex shell and drop in system. They are safe plastic, no BPA, and the nipples are highly recommended by most LC's if you are interested in maintaining a nursing relationship at all. After I started supplementing I was able to do some feedings during the day with an SNS or Lact-Aid, and then the rest with bottles, and my daughter still loves nursing just as much and has never wavered in her love of the boobie!

OP I hope you will come back and update us, I'm thinking of you and I know I'm not alone.
#21 of 24 Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

thank you so much for all the suggestions and support...they have been very helpful. we are looking into chirpractic and cranio-sacral therapy to see if they might help...
I had no idea that I would feel so sad and guilty about this so hearing from other people is a life saver!
Will keep you updated...
by the way...do you all sterilize your bottles between each use?

Longing for our rainbow
#22 of 24 Old 09-16-2008, 01:44 PM

My son had issues the first week after he was born, and two sessions of craniosacral therapy seemed to really help. The practicioner came out to the house for the first appointment, which was also great. Our son seemed to really relax with her - no panicking parents holding him!

Best of luck to you, we only struggled for a week before Ansel began to nurse "normally", but it was the worst and longest week of my life. It's so wonderful that you've persevered so long, I hope things work out.

Julie, mom to Ansel (Sept '07) and Amalia (Sept '10)
#23 of 24 Old 09-16-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdejong View Post
My son had issues the first week after he was born, and two sessions of craniosacral therapy seemed to really help. The practicioner came out to the house for the first appointment, which was also great. Our son seemed to really relax with her - no panicking parents holding him!

Best of luck to you, we only struggled for a week before Ansel began to nurse "normally", but it was the worst and longest week of my life. It's so wonderful that you've persevered so long, I hope things work out.
I want to jump in and say you and Angela (and all the other mama's with BF issues) are doing awesome! My DD also had significant BFing issues at birth. We used a SNS as a finger feeder for her first few weeks. I was able to pump, but needed to supplement with formula so I know where you all are coming from. The feelings of failure and inadequacy are overwhelming. Please be gentle with yourselves.

Cranisacral therapy was a god-send for us as well, in addition to a good LC.

Your babe is lucky to have such a dedicated mama!

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#24 of 24 Old 09-16-2008, 04:43 PM

How are things going?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page