Has anyone tried Jack Newman's APNO Mix (All Purpose Nipple Ointment) for thrush? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-03-2008, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to find someone who will write a script for me. Has anyone gotten this and used it to eliminate thrush? I've tried everything on his list except for this. I have super stubborn yeast.

Here's the link to the Jack Newman Candida Protocol if someone wanted to see it: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html

TIA

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#2 of 8 Old 10-03-2008, 03:25 PM

I had great luck with Newman's APNO. I am still not sure if I was dealing with thrush or not though as my symptoms were not typical. However, after weeks of lotrimin and a dose of gentian violet, I was ready to try just about anything. Interestingly, another lactation consultant recommended kellymom.com as a great resource for thrush, but advised against APNO. I am not sure why she advised against it.

If I had similar symptoms again, I would jump through hoops to get a prescription for APNO. While I cannot be sure that it is what got me over the hump last time, I have a strong hunch that the APNO is what finally worked for me. Note: It took a couple of weeks of diligent treatment to feel better.

Just remember..... What works for one might not work for another and what didn't work for someone, just might work for you. Good luck!
#3 of 8 Old 10-03-2008, 04:23 PM

I used APNO. It really helped with the nipple pain caused by thrush, but I don't think it really helped clear it up. I had to take a 2 week course of diflucan, probiotics, Grapefruit seed extract, use gentian violet, and put DD on diflucan. We had thrush for 2-3 months before this regimen got it cleared up. I finally figured out that we were getting re-infected by: a paci container they used at daycare. They were washing it daily, but not boiling it, which is what you have to do to kill thrush.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#4 of 8 Old 10-07-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! Just wanted to post back that I ended up googling "natural remedies for thrush" and found that coconut oil with tea tree oil can help and that's what I've been using and it's much better...so we'll see! But thanks for the input

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#5 of 8 Old 10-10-2008, 07:24 PM

Tina, I have been battling thrush for two months now. APNO was the first thing I tried to treat it, and I am still using it (on my second jar now). In my experience, it does help quit a bit with the pain, but it certainly did not clear up the thrush.

Thanks for the tea tree oil in CO idea...perhaps I will try that. I've tried just about everything!

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#6 of 8 Old 10-11-2008, 11:20 AM

I used it, but it took Difulcan to really clear up the thrush. However, I find myself using it anytime something funky starts happening with the nipples. It seems to work very well in the early stages of irritation/infection.
#7 of 8 Old 10-13-2008, 10:43 PM

I used APNO for months due to a major crack in my nipple and mild thrush. I actually got it from Dr Newman himself (he has a clinic here in Toronto). The most important thing is to make sure the pharmacy mixes it right and uses the ingredients exactly as Dr Newman has suggested. The first round I got from a doctor at a walk-in clinic and it didn't seem to work. Then I went to Dr Newman's clinic and he told me what I had wasn't the right stuff (he could tell by looking at it). He also added ibuprofen powder to the mixture he gave me to help with the pain/swelling.

You should check out Dr Newman's more recent, updated handout on thrush/sore nipples as it talks about APNO being only one part of the cure. Here is the link: http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Candida-Protocol.asp

DD born April 7/08 and expecting #2 October 2010!
#8 of 8 Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 AM

I think you have to treat thrush aggressively both internally and externally. APNO is only part of the cure, and it won't work if the yeast is in the ducts because the thrush will continue to return.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page