Sudden drop in milk supply - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-22-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies,
I am a WOHM and currently nursing my 7mo DS. I've had a wonderful supply up until a week and 1/2 ago. I was able to pump between 12 and 15 oz in two sessions and he was always eating one side at a time, every 2-3 hours. I didnt introduce solids until 2 weeks ago and we are only doing little bites and tastes. He also likes snacking a lot at night and he doesnt take a paci.
So a week and a half a go a noticed a drop in my suppy - suddenly I wasnt able to pump so much and my breasts didn't feel full at all. Now I am lucky if I can pump 4 oz at a time and he is obvously struggling to get milk at the breast. My DCP had to supplement with formula twice as well.
I am trying to figure out what is going on and what can cause something like this... I did get my period 5 days ago and also I was sick for 2 weeks and on abx for a UTI but I expected that my supply will bounce back in a day or two after my period started. This is my second child and with DD I definitely noticed dip in my supply with my period but it always came back in a day or two.
I am completely freaked out that my milk is gone... Has any of you experienced anything like that?
Btw, I am taking calcium/magnesuim supplement, 6 pills of Fenugreek, and 1000mg vit C daily. I am thinking of adding Iron as well. I am also drinking lots of water and just ordered domperidone. I am currently pumping 3 times at work and the rest of the time I am nursing around the clock and co-sleeping.
Any help and ideas will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
#2 of 11 Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you arnt pregnant are you? milk supply usually wains when one becomes pregnant

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#3 of 11 Old 10-22-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

I even did a pregnancy test last week - it was negative, plus I am having my period right now...
#4 of 11 Old 10-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Have you checked your pump? Often a quick drop like that means the pump suction has dropped significantly.
#5 of 11 Old 10-22-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

It is a new pump I got 3 weeks ago. My old one broke so I got a new Medela PIS. I've used it for a week and 1/2 without a problem..... and then my milk dipped....
#6 of 11 Old 10-23-2008, 05:37 PM
rcr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am having the same problem - just posted a new thread about it, and then saw yours. I am down to pumping about half as much as I used to - all of the sudden, although I don't see that my DS is having trouble getting any milk.

Sorry no, advice, but subbing.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#7 of 11 Old 10-23-2008, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Having your period can lead to a dip in supply- you should see an increase in milk when you're mid-cycle. I used to take more milk out of the freezer during PMS/AF and replenish the freezer two weeks later.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#8 of 11 Old 10-23-2008, 07:36 PM

the dom should definitely help! Start with a really small dose (10mg 3X a day) and go up from there...good luck!
#9 of 11 Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!
My period ended but still no increase in my milk. So far DS is holding - he is definitely struggling to get milk considering my milk used to just pour into his mouth but at least he doesn't get frustrated... so far.
I just figured out today that the 6 pills of Fenugreek I am taking are not enough, so I am going to increase to 9 (4.5 grams) daily. I also ordered dom so hopefully I will get it next week.
I also went to my doctor yesterday to get my thyroid checked since I've had thyroid problems in the past and low thyroid levels can lead to low supply. I can't wait to get the results next week and see if that's what is causing the problem.
#10 of 11 Old 10-30-2008, 12:42 PM

I've been having similar problems with my 7.5 month old. I posted here and in Working Moms and got some good advice to just pump more. My LC gave me that advice too.

So when I wake up in the middle of the night, even if LO is still sleeping, I pump for 5-10 minutes. I also pump for 5-10 minutes at 6 am when I wake up and for 15 min. before I go to bed. LO sleeps 7 pm to about 3:30 am when I feed him and then he goes back to sleep until 7 am. I think those long stretches were reducing the supply. At 6 am, I only try to pump 1-2 oz so not to be short when he wakes.

I'm also planning to pump a couple more times on the weekends. It's a lot of pumping but I saw some real results yesterday after a few days of my stepped-up regimen. Last week and even Monday of this week, my three pumpings at work had reduced to 7 oz total. Yesterday in my three pumpings, I got 11 oz!! I'm really relieved. Give it a try, it may work for you.
#11 of 11 Old 10-31-2008, 06:45 PM

Here's some info on the 6 month slump:

http://www.workandpump.com/6month.htm

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page