When to go to the hospital (mastitis)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-11-2008, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been horribly sick for about 24 hours with fever, chills, body aches, headache, and a sore, hard, red-streaked left boob. I went to bed at 10 PM able to nurse fine and woke up a little while ago (around midnight), and my milk won't let down at all on either side! I took two Tylenol for the fever/chills, and I'm feeling a little better in that respect (i.e., I no longer feel like I'm going to drop dead when I stand up). Would you go to the hospital tonight or wait and call the doctor in the morning? I'm getting some alarmed responses on another board I post at, telling me to go directly to the emergency room right now. My whole family is sound asleep, and I really don't want to disrupt everyone unless absolutely necessary.
#2 of 6 Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 AM

I hope you managed to get the care you need.

Here is a good link from kellymom about mastitis. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Hopefully you saw a breastfeeding friendly doctor or midwife. The big thing is the keep breastfeeding, especially from the affected breast.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
#3 of 6 Old 11-11-2008, 10:24 AM

Oh goodness, I've had plugged ducts a few dozen times, mastitis half a dozen times. I am just getting over mastitis (my 3rd round that I ended up needing antibiotics for in 6.5 years), complete with fever/chills, nausea, redness, and a plug the size of a walnut. I've never gone to the ER, just waited a day or two then gone to my regular care provider if home remedies didn't work.

I would go to your regular doctor or OBGYN/nursemidwife tomorrow. They may want to get you an antibiotic presciption (usually dicloxicillin, safe for breastfeeding).
Until then...hot compresses, hot baths/showers, pump to make sure breast is being emptied completely after nursing, take the homeopathic remedy phytolacca decandra, nurse in various positions, extra rest. You're probably not feeling a letdown due to being sick/tired, but that doesn't mean your baby isn't getting enough milk.
I hope you feel better soon! But I wouldn't rush into an ER visit unless you are running a very high fever. You be the judge of how you feel though!!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#4 of 6 Old 11-13-2008, 04:16 PM

to everything VeganF said ... I've had mastitis, and it's NOT fun. I've gotten the chills, 105* fever, achy-ness... I hope it goes away quickly!!! I've heard vit c helps, and I do know that a heating pad and hot shwoers with massaging the sore breast helps, too... I had called my dr's office after hours and spoke with her answering service, adn they paged her and she called me back within a few minutes (this was about 9pm on a weekend, I think) and just called in a prescription to a 24 huor pharmacy... is that something your obgym would do? (if you wanted antibiotics, that is) ...

Sorry you're in pain!!! s

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
#5 of 6 Old 01-04-2014, 08:45 PM

GO TO THE ER because you mentioned red streaks in your breast!  That could be blood poisoning and that requires IMMEDIATE attention.  I just got out of the hospital for the same thing.  I waited too long and they kept me for 2 nights and 2 days pumping me full of Clyndomiacin and Dilaudid.  Don't do what I did.  GO NOW.  You won't be sorry.  Take care and let me know how you are now.  Emily

#6 of 6 Old 01-06-2014, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
This thread is from 2008. Glad you are feeling better though; to the poster above.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page