Name Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2006, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought ya'll might find this handy: Social Security's Most Popular Baby Names for 2004

*Groans* Isabella just made the list. Grrrrrrr

Quote:
Name: Rank:
Isabel 89
Isabela 533
Isabell 897
Isabella 6
Isabelle 96
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf
I have had all my names picked for all the babies I want since my ds was about 2 months old. DH hasn't agreed to them yet but here they are.

Girls
Eden Katherine ( Katherine is my grandma's name)
Ava (ok I am suck on a middle name here)

Boys
Ethan Alexander
Lucas William

The middle names might change but the first name are staying.
Ava Lynn -- that would be my suggestion for Ava
Old 07-12-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennifer
Ooh, can I join in? Fun thread! Just found out we are expecting baby #2 this morning!!

For boys:
Samuel ______ (cannot figure out a middle name!)

Girls:
Madeline/Madeleine Sophia (nn Maddie)
Sophia Faith (nn Sophie)
Myriam Samantha (nn Em, Emmie)
You probably wont like this but its an idea

Samuel Ray
Old 07-12-2006, 01:51 PM

Ok, I want to play.................we are having a really hard time finding the right name so any susgetsion??

For a girl:

Olivia Lynn
Elizabeth ??
Desiree ???

The only problem is they are very common now and we dont want to common

For a boy:

Ezra ???

Help me ladies :
Old 07-12-2006, 09:26 PM

brianasmith, how about a flower middle name to go with you girl names--like Lily or Violet? I wonder what the flower is for the month of March...

Ezra is a great boy name. I love unique names! Maybe you could use a family name for the middle name...

Ladies, I changed my mind (I seem to be doing that alot lately--must be a pg thing. We're going with Rowan for a boy. I know it's becoming more of a girl's name these days, but I just can't get it out of my head. That's got to mean something, right? I'll let DH think he won this arguement (that way I can choose any middle name I want! ).

Oh, man! All the middle names I like end with an "an" sound like Rowan and that would sound weird, right?

Rowan Kieran
Rowan Eamonn
Rowan Adian

I need a good Irish/Celtic name that doesn't end in "an"...
Old 07-12-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggie
Oh, man! All the middle names I like end with an "an" sound like Rowan and that would sound weird, right?

Rowan Kieran
Rowan Eamonn
Rowan Adian

If your last name has 2 syllables and ends similarly I think it could work...but check out this list of boy celtic names
Old 07-12-2006, 10:20 PM

Can I play?
with dd 1 we found a name but wanted to wait to meet him/her to find out if it fit. Isabella Ann
Then dd 2 we cou;dn't agree and we knew what we were having....finally Gillian was found and we agree to Gillian Marie but everyone assumes we spell Gilli with a J.

for this baby...for girls
Alaura
Alyra (not sure exactly how we are going to spell it....a lee ra)

for Boys
Keefe
Dustin
Erik
Kurt

ni middles yet. just starting looking and thinking.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 07-12-2006, 10:38 PM

Ok I added to the list..
for girls
Josephine (Josie)
Rachel
Jenna
Erin
Olivia
Lauren
Alexandra (Lexie)
Sydney
Amelia
Reese
Luci
Alice
For boys:
Charles (Charlie)
Brady
Oscar (NOT going to happen but dh wants it in the running. I think it's cute but not a favorite of mine)

My faves of all so far are Samuel Chester, Samuel Charles, and Charles Samuel.
For the girls I love Myriam Samantha, Jenna ____, Olivia____, Rachel___, Sophia Faith.

Brianasmith, thanks for the suggestion! I know Elizabeth Ann is pretty common, but it's beautiful I think--very classic. I'm having a hard time coming up with a middle name for Olivia--Olivia Lynn is very pretty, but I love to choose middle names that have some meaning to us, and it doesn't. Hmmm.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:33 PM

Ok, forget that last post of mine. After posting I looked at the SS website, crossed off all the really popular names, crossed off ones I wasn't in love with, and ended up with....
Josephine Jenna
and
Samuel Charles

What do you think??
Old 07-13-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Josephine Jenna
and
Samuel Charles

What do you think??
I LOVE Josephine - you could call her Josie but I'm not a fan of the two J's - My name is Keri Kadi and I don't really like double letters.

I really like Samuel Charles but I like Samuel Chester better because it is a super cool name and the lead singer of Linkin Park

My name list is in my real computer that is in the shop right now This one is my son's and SUPER slow and I don't have any of my good stuff on here.
These are some names off my list that I can remember:

Boys:
Vincent
Quentin
Rogan
Jonas
Dylan

The boy middle name will be Frederick

Girls:
Elisabeth
Elise
Jillian
Amelia
Danica

The girl middle name will likely be Joy unless we chose Jillian and then it would be Kate.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 07-13-2006, 04:22 PM

We have like a 99% chance of having a girl. It is a joke that all nukes have girls, and we have seen it to be mostly true. So we concentrate on girl names first. We will think of boys later, jsut in case.
But I love, I mean LOVE
Gwendolyn and maybe soething like Irene or Iris for a middle name. My husband thinks we should name her Gwendo Lyn. He really thinks that he is funny, : I don't.
I do love Moira though. You know, everyone will mispronuouce just about every name. My name is Valerie, easy right? I get Valorie, Valarie, and even Valeria. I don't understand people. But we are still very early, we didn't come up with Laylas name until I was about 7 months. We really disagree on these things.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:34 PM

Keri - the only combo I don't like (out of the girls) is Elise Joy, unless I'm mispronouncing it. Is it supposed to be 3 sylables?

Gwnedo Lyn. Yea, not funny. Gwendolyn I like. I would never use it (too girly - I like gender neutral names generally), but I also like Gwyndydd. The "dd" is pronounced "th", so Gwyndyth.

I think we've more or less decided on the first name, although we won't finalize the decision until we meet hir, but middle names... oy. I'm tempted to go with Lee, 'cause it'd be easy, and it's DP's middle name (I don't have one). But... eh well. We have time, right?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:40 PM

Thanks, cinnamonamon, for the list--it will take me a while to go through all of them . No, our last name is 3 syllables and ends with an "ing."

Bennifer--Josephine is so beautiful and old fashioned! And Samuel Chester is tooooo adorable! You must go with those names!

VnJW--Gwendolyn is beautiful and I think Moira would work as a great middle name. Gwendolyn Moira.

brendon--Keefe! Go with that!
Old 07-13-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn
Keri - the only combo I don't like (out of the girls) is Elise Joy, unless I'm mispronouncing it. Is it supposed to be 3 sylables?
Actually it's two - Uh-Leese is how it sounds. I think it is more likely we would name her Elisabeth and Elise would be her nn but I also think it could stand on it's own.

We also don't decide until the end. We don't find out the sex but it's a good thing the girls were girls because we could NOT agree on boy names! I like to have it narrowed down to 2 boys and 2 girl names so we have options if the baby doesn't look like a certain name.

All of our kids middle names are after family and that tradition will continue

We have a list in word that we each add names to. My names are in pink and his are in blue so we know who added what - if we agree on a name we make it purple - I know, we're dorky I can add and remove MY names but I cannot remove his names and he cannot remove mine. If he tells me he really doesn't like a name and I don't love it I might take it off and vice versa. It works well for us because DH doesn't really like discussing names but if we think of something we can just add it to the list, try it on for a while and then take it off if we change our mind.

Keri

Old 07-13-2006, 05:02 PM

What a great system! I don't think it's dorky at all!
Old 07-13-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn
I'm tempted to go with Lee, 'cause it'd be easy, and it's DP's middle name (I don't have one). But... eh well. We have time, right?
My middle name is Lee -- except they spelled it the "girl" way (I'm told): Lea I always liked it. FTR, my grandpa is David Lee, and my grandma is Carol : Carolynn Lea Mom was ingenious for making everyone's names distinct, but also named after a family member.

We pick a 1st name we like, then make the middle name after a family member.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Rowan Patrick
Rowan Brady
Rowan Finn
Rowan Finlay or Finley
Rowan Grady
Rowan Murphy
Rowan Seamus
Rowan Teague

Patrick is my FAVORITE - It's my Brendan's mn. I know Finn ends in N but I have a friend with an Aiden Finn and I think it sounds great!

Good luck!
Keri

Old 07-13-2006, 06:38 PM

I think names will be hard this time around. With both of my kids I had a very clear notion of their sex and name long before they were even conceived. I felt like they truly named themselves. But this time around... I haven't a clue. I haven't even brought up the topic of names with Dh. Last time it was a major problem.

I have a short list so far, but I'm sure it's bound to go through many changes in the coming months.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnJW
You know, everyone will mispronuouce just about every name.
Really? People very rarely mispronounce my name (Elena) or my daughter's name (Fiona). Moira (my 2nd DD) is the only one people have a hard time with.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 07-13-2006, 07:12 PM

Maybe we have just been around not so smart people We have had people mispronounce Natalies name also, Natlie, Na TAllie. I really don't know. Maybe we are just doomed to correct people.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:16 PM

OK here we go... I think that we have the names picked- but it of course could change.

For a girl we like Pandora Hope.
A good nick name Panda bear or Dora

For a boy we like Taliesin Fox.
A good nick name would be Tal or Fox

We are big on the myths behind names and on nicknames

DDs name is Lilith Mai and sometimes we call her Lili.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
Old 07-13-2006, 08:10 PM

kerikadi--Thanks for all the great suggestions. I like Rowan Patrick, but we have WAY too many Patricks in the family. And I agree that Finn doesn't sound too bad with a name ending in "an"--maybe because it's just 1 syllable. Rowan Seamus is also a great suggestion, but, if you look at my sig, you'll know why I can't use that.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Rowan Seamus is also a great suggestion, but, if you look at my sig, you'll know why I can't use that.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:25 PM

Keri, I agree, Samuel Chester is way better than Samuel Charles. I love it with Chester (my grandpa's name) but dh isn't convinced yet...but I bet I can work on it.
I was planning on called Josephine "Josie"--it's just so adorable! I liked Jenna only because my name is Jennifer, but I don't love it. Any suggestions? how does Josephine Myriam sound? Or Josephine Faith? I love names with a religious meaning. Josephine means "God will add, God will increase." Perfect, I think!

I love the name Elise...it's one of my picks but dh isn't too hot on it. I was thinking of spelling it Elyse. Such a beautiful name. And I like the idea about naming her Elizabeth and then the nn is Elise.

I like Rowan Patrick the best, too! Too bad it doesn't work. My second fave is Rowan Finn.

Ok, I am one of the people who would mispronouce Moira...can someone tell me how you say that? It looks beautiful the way it is spelled...very feminine, but honestly I've never known how to pronounce it (and this is coming from a speech therapist!!!)
Old 07-13-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, I am one of the people who would mispronouce Moira...can someone tell me how you say that? It looks beautiful the way it is spelled...very feminine, but honestly I've never known how to pronounce it (and this is coming from a speech therapist!!!)
Give it a try-- I'll bet you are right!

Post it and then I'll come back and check . . .but again, I bet you'll get it right!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 07-13-2006, 09:55 PM

*laughs* my husband was just teasing me and said we should make up a word that people wouldn't know how to pronounce but then say
"his name is bob".
oh, I forgot ofr girls.
Aralyn. I think that is my fav so far. need middle idea for Keefe and Aralyn.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 07-13-2006, 10:55 PM

Keri - I thought that's how it's pronounced. I don't think I like the two sylable names with "Joy". It just feels like it needs 3 or 4, y'know? But that's just me.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:06 PM

Keri, I agree...Elise needs a longer middle name. I think Joy is a really pretty name but maybe not the best with Elise.

Ok, here I go...I'm going to tell you how I pronouce Moira...I feel like I'm in school being tested here I guess I'd say More-ah. But I think that's wrong. Help me!!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:15 PM

In the Robin Williams movie Hook, he pronounced it more like More-ah, at least once. But I'm pretty sure it's generally Moy-ra. Yes no?
Old 07-14-2006, 02:02 AM

Yes. Moy-ra--that's how I've always heard it said.

User Tag List