Name Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 163 Old 06-22-2006, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone thinking of names yet??

Past experience shows that out of a zillion names that DH and I will come up with, we are going to only agree on one. We never did come up with a boy name last time, but thankfully we had a girl (didn't know gender until she was born.) Anyway, boy names are tough for us. If DD had been a DS, the poor child would still probably be nameless.

So far, I have

girl:
Annika Lilly (my favorite)
Ariana Kay

boy:
Jonas
Miles
Asher (my favorite)
Drew
Connor
Taylor
Caleb

Unfortunately, our last name ends in "on" so the boy name I realllly like, Aiden, sorta rhymes and sound funny.

So far, I've only run Annika and Asher past DH, and he resoundingly said no. Still have 8 months to work on him though.
#2 of 163 Old 06-23-2006, 12:24 AM

Yes, we're already thinking!

It's so hard, esp. if we have another DD, because I don't want it to be that the name is "third best."

Our first DD's name was easy (both loved it), 2nd, not so much . . .DH picked it, wouldn't discuss it, and that was that. : Now I told him it's MY turn to pick.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#3 of 163 Old 06-23-2006, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius
Yes, we're already thinking!

It's so hard, esp. if we have another DD, because I don't want it to be that the name is "third best."
That's an interesting point. I hadn't thought of it that way! Great, something else to think about to make this more challenging. I guess what I worry about the most is trying to find a unique-ish name that has a unique one syllable nickname. Mine's pretty common, and it always sorta has bugged me. Although some of the names I like aren't so unique.

Quote:
Our first DD's name was easy (both loved it), 2nd, not so much . . .DH picked it, wouldn't discuss it, and that was that. : Now I told him it's MY turn to pick.
Oh, funny that your DH stubbornly picked the last name! I need to make sure DH doesn't somehow get the same idea in his head....
#4 of 163 Old 06-23-2006, 03:41 PM

I am ALWAYS thinking of baby names. I'm a junkie. It's a horrible addiction.

For a boy:
Rio-My absolute favorite
Sawyer-Hubby said no when I proposed it for DS1
Liam-Might go all the way with William, me granpaps name, but call him Liam
Miles-Do you think this would be ok with Mason, DS1?

For a girl:
Sophia, nn Sophie
Lucy
Lily-This is DH's input. I think that there's too much "L" there with DD1 and our last name has an L and my name has an L. (I know I'm a freak)
Casseopaia-I love this name, but it seems rather cumbersome and I can't think of a good nn for it since I don't care for Cassie.

Hubby likes Sophia too. This name has been stuck in my head for a long time, just like Ayla was before she was born. Secretly I'd like to have another boy, though of course I would love a little girl too, ykwim?

Still anxiously awaiting a BFP.....
#5 of 163 Old 06-23-2006, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Nichole, I just have to say I LOVE your DC's names! Ayla and Mason are such great names. And I love the ones you're thinking of now. I think having a Miles and a Mason would be fine, but I grew up in a family of all J's and it seems normal to me to have repeating first letters. And wow, Casseopaia -- that's just beautiful! That's my favorite constellation. Hmmm.... maybe Paia for a nickname??
#6 of 163 Old 06-24-2006, 10:21 AM

Hi
I found out Thursday that I am pregnant and I have not talked with DH about names yet. I really like the names. I am still in shock.

Girls
Tess
Grace
Emma
Matilda and we would call her Tillie it was my grandmas name.

Boys
Cooper
Aiden
Jesse
Otis
#7 of 163 Old 06-24-2006, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats rrmrose! I think that Tillie as a nickname for Matilda is so cute! I would like to also use my grandmother's name, but it was Lillian, which goes badly with my last name. So that's kinda why I was thinking Lilly. (Although everyone in the world called her "Mike", so I guess it doesn't really matter. )
#8 of 163 Old 06-26-2006, 01:54 AM

Hi ladies! We already have names picked out & agreed upon! We do still have 8 months to rethink though...We're not telling any family members until the birth if we can help it because we don't want thier "opinions". Anywhoo...drumroll please...

Bodhi Hunter
Kaia Hope

**lil background, DH and I met in AK, so we wanted to name all of our kiddos with Alaskan middle names. Our DD's middle name is Aurora, and Hunnter is after Mt Hunter, and there is a town named Hope

CPST & mom

#9 of 163 Old 06-26-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom
Nichole, I just have to say I LOVE your DC's names! Ayla and Mason are such great names. And I love the ones you're thinking of now. I think having a Miles and a Mason would be fine, but I grew up in a family of all J's and it seems normal to me to have repeating first letters. And wow, Casseopaia -- that's just beautiful! That's my favorite constellation. Hmmm.... maybe Paia for a nickname??
Thanks for the compliments, Astro! Always nice to hear!

Isn't Paia prounounced peeya? That's what I always thought, but if I'm wrong, please lemme know! I had ruled it out for the teasing factor. I read a book, My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult, and Casseopaia was the main character's name. They called her Cass and Cassie, I think.
#10 of 163 Old 06-26-2006, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapejuicemama
Isn't Paia prounounced peeya? That's what I always thought, but if I'm wrong, please lemme know! I had ruled it out for the teasing factor. I read a book, My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult, and Casseopaia was the main character's name. They called her Cass and Cassie, I think.
I looked up the pronunciation and you are right!! I have always pronounced it like Cass-ee-o-pay-ah. (So I was thinking the nn would be like Pay-ah.) Oh man, can I still keep my astrophysics degree?
#11 of 163 Old 06-26-2006, 01:14 PM

I have many ideas for a girl, but very few for boys (I think boy names are so much harder...)

GIRL:
Josephine (Josie for short)
Helen
Adel
Laura (the sister I recently lost)

BOY:
Elliot

I love the ideas you guys have! So many original names!
#12 of 163 Old 06-27-2006, 12:58 AM

Casseopaia

what about Sea-o or Sea-a

cassia means cinnamon(greek)

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#13 of 163 Old 06-27-2006, 02:47 AM

Courtney, <3 the tshirt you're wearing in the pic w/your younger DD! Good to see another punk rocker

CPST & mom

#14 of 163 Old 06-27-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom
I looked up the pronunciation and you are right!! I have always pronounced it like Cass-ee-o-pay-ah. (So I was thinking the nn would be like Pay-ah.) Oh man, can I still keep my astrophysics degree?
:ROTFLMAO

I'm sorry, Astro. You are going to have to give it up.

Just put it in the mail and send it to me. I am now considered an expert in astrophysicamajiggerwhatsits.:nana:

I like your suggestion, Courtney. Cassia. Cass-ee-ya.

I also really like Elizabeth, even though it's not a style I normally pick.

An old friend of ours, when his wife was pregnant, he said that if it was a boy, they'd name it Henry. I begged him not to do it. I thought it was an awful name.

Now, I'm ashamed to admit that it has grown on me! Of course, we could never use it because I wouldn't want him to think we talked him out of it so that we could use it.

For girls, I also really love Jocelyn, Joss or Josie for short. (Thanks Melanie, for reminding me of that name!) I like Jolie too, but a friend named her dog that and another friend named her kid that, plus the whole Angelina Jolie thang.......Le sigh.
#15 of 163 Old 06-27-2006, 03:45 PM

We've been talking names for a long time, even though this bean is a surprise.

DD is Millicent Caterina

We're thinking possibly:

Alistair Reyes for a boy

or

Imogen Candace for a girl.

I don't know though. I do think that the every soul has its own name, and it is the parent's job to "listen" for the name. If it is anything like DD, we won't end up using the name we had spent hours picking out because it just won't fit right.
#16 of 163 Old 06-27-2006, 04:37 PM

I totally understand what you mean. DD Ayla was just meant to be Ayla.

Bizarre story:

When I was about 5 months pregnant with her, living with a roomie, we got a phone call. Roomie answered the phone:

Older woman voice, "Is Ayla there?"

Roomie, ".....no."

Older woman, "Can I please talk to Ayla?"

Roomie,"There's no Ayla here."

Older woman, "Are you sure?"

Roomie, "Yeah. Sorry."

Click

I was in the kitchen when she got that call and her face was the whitiest shade of whiteness I have ever seen. I thought that she was pranking me, but she swears up and down she wasn't. She's not really the practical joking type anyway.

A couple of nights later, roomie had a dream about a little girl with long red hair. Her father has almost black hair and my hair is light brown.

Bear in mind, we didn't know the sex, although I had an inkling it was a girl.

A coupla months later, when we pulled my brand new baby out of the birth tub, you can imagine the shock when we saw she had a full head of RED hair!

Mason's story isn't nearly as interesting. We just couldn't really really decide on a name. We had kind of liked the name. When he was a few hours old, we just looked at each other over his sleeping wittle body and said, in unison, "Mason Gage."
#17 of 163 Old 06-27-2006, 05:43 PM

Wow Nichole what powerful stories!

CPST & mom

#18 of 163 Old 06-28-2006, 01:33 AM

i had fun in your ddc but i tested today and it's a no go. i love all the names. My second daughter is josephine, and imogen is one of my favorites.

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#19 of 163 Old 06-28-2006, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapejuicemama

Just put it in the mail and send it to me. I am now considered an expert in astrophysicamajiggerwhatsits.:nana:
It's all yours! I get zero use out of it anyway! And obviously I can't even trust it anymore... must have missed the constellation pronunciation class... jeez... what else could I have wrong!
#20 of 163 Old 06-28-2006, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Jewelysmommy, I am so sorry you had those signs and then got a negative! Hugs to you.

Grapejuicemama, that was an amazing phonecall! Totally gave me chills!

samjm, I love Alistair Reyes. Would Imogen have "Gen" as a nickname?

Melanie, I am so sorry that you lost your sister. It's beautiful that you are considering her name for your baby.. Laura is a wonderful name!

An_Aurora, your names are so original and beautiful. Such a great idea to incorporate Alaskan names in there.

Well, I ran "Miles" past DH, and he agreed! One gender down, one to go!
#21 of 163 Old 06-29-2006, 12:03 AM

I'm thinkin' Twyla for a girl (DH doesn't like this but too bad) and Callan for a boy.

Our other DC are Fiona and Moira.

#22 of 163 Old 06-29-2006, 01:09 AM

Quote:
I'm thinkin' Twyla for a girl (DH doesn't like this but too bad) and Callan for a boy.

Our other DC are Fiona and Moira.
I LOVE Callan! Your DC's names are great as well. JW, how do you pronounce Moira?

CPST & mom

#23 of 163 Old 06-29-2006, 03:43 PM

DH won't go for it but I am fond of Penelope (nn Poppy). I also like MaryJane (as those are the first names of both grandmas) but he says everyone will think of marijuana. I said he's crazy. Opinions on that one?
#24 of 163 Old 06-29-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCAS
DH won't go for it but I am fond of Penelope (nn Poppy). I also like MaryJane (as those are the first names of both grandmas) but he says everyone will think of marijuana. I said he's crazy. Opinions on that one?
I have to agree with DH on this one! Sorry.

CPST & mom

#25 of 163 Old 06-29-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora
I LOVE Callan! Your DC's names are great as well. JW, how do you pronounce Moira?
TY! Moira is MOY-rah. It's common in Scotland, not so much here!

#26 of 163 Old 06-29-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
TY! Moira is MOY-rah. It's common in Scotland, not so much here!
That's what I was thinking, it's a beautiful name!

CPST & mom

#27 of 163 Old 06-29-2006, 11:18 PM
kdf

I have had all my names picked for all the babies I want since my ds was about 2 months old. DH hasn't agreed to them yet but here they are.

Girls
Eden Katherine ( Katherine is my grandma's name)
Ava (ok I am suck on a middle name here)

Boys
Ethan Alexander
Lucas William

The middle names might change but the first name are staying.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#28 of 163 Old 06-30-2006, 12:47 AM

For a girl it will be Autumn Rose. We've had that name picked out since Dec of 1999!

If its a boy I got dh to agree to Lucian Thranduil like a mos ago. But since we got the He Hasn't brought it up again. I think he will back peddle. I know he wants Thranduil so thats a given but the first name might change. We'll see.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#29 of 163 Old 06-30-2006, 01:28 AM

OOooo, cool name Full Heart!

We have several names we like, but one that really sticks with us, and it works for boy or girl. Middle names will be tougher, although we might just skip it altogether (the first name we like is rare, and our last name is unique - there are currently two people in the world as far as we know who have it - so it's not like the kid will be Jane Smith and need a middle name just to narrow it down).

We're probably waiting until we meet the baby to say for sure.
#30 of 163 Old 06-30-2006, 12:25 PM

I like Kaliyah Nicole for a girl and Kameron Scott for a boy..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page