Anyone else trying to get tons of extra calories in - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-24-2006, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
because of starting out underweight, or because of currently nursing, or whatever reason?

After 3 1/2 years of nursing DD, my body just got drained. I did one of those pregnancy ideal weight calculator things and I was a few pounds below the bottom ideal #, so I'm determined to gain as much as I can. I've gained 4 in the last month, but I was hoping to gain more. I was about 15-20 pounds heavier starting out DD's pregnancy than I am now, and it was a good thing too because I lost a lot of weight between 5 and 15 weeks because of bad m/s. So, I'm hurredly trying to gain before m/s hits this time around.

Anyway, I am finding two problems with this.

One is that I am getting really sick of the same snacks every day. So far, I do:

smoothies (with milk, yogurt, fruit, etc)
nuts
home-made whole-wheat quick breads (like banana bread)
hard-boiled eggs

What are some other good nutritious snacks I can do that will give me calories and protein?

My other problem is that my family is so excited to have snacks around, that they are devouring it all before I get to it. : But I feel like a meanie if I tell dh to keep his hands off the yummy snacks!! (I don't mind sharing with DD at all, because I can just give her a little of whatever I'm having and it's fine.) Frankly, DH doesn't really need the extra calories. But he says he's having sympathy cravings

So how do you keep other family members from raiding your stash of food?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 06-24-2006, 11:24 AM

My favs are whole wheat bagels and creem cheese. And a stick of string cheese. So far anyway.

Rachel
#3 of 14 Old 06-26-2006, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yumm, cream cheese.. I forgot about that one. Now I need to figure out if I can make homemade wholewheat bagels. I think they have to be boiled ... sounds intimidating, but I think DD and I will have fun experimenting.
#4 of 14 Old 06-27-2006, 08:04 AM

I am a little underweight according to the charts, but I am right for "me." Amazingly, I know I'll GAIN weight if I get morning sickness because eating constantly actually makes me feel better when I have it. I get sick if I don't eat!

I figure my body knows what its doing . . .I go with the flow!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#5 of 14 Old 06-27-2006, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

That's awesome Mizelenius that you found something that works for you for m/s!! I envy you!

Unfortunately it didn't matter before if I ate often or not, I always was :Puke However, I've learned some more tricks since then so I'm really hoping things will be better this time! And I think I'm about 15 pounds underweight for me (forgetting about the charts) so I thought it wise to give my body a hand.
#6 of 14 Old 06-27-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom
And I think I'm about 15 pounds underweight for me (forgetting about the charts) so I thought it wise to give my body a hand.
15 lbs is a lot! If I were 15 lbs lighter I'd weigh 80 lbs! I'd have amenorrhea for sure.

Hope you find something that works!

This time I'm going to try B6 too. My sister swears by it, even for non-PG nausea.

ETA: I put the wrong vitamin!!! It's fixed now!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#7 of 14 Old 06-28-2006, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius
15 lbs is a lot! If I were 15 lbs lighter I'd weigh 80 lbs! I'd have amenorrhea for sure.

Hope you find something that works!

This time I'm going to try B12, too. My sister swears by it, even for non-PG nausea.
Yes, amenorrhea is a problem for me sometimes I guess. I am 5'7" and I was 110 pounds when my daughter weaned. I didn't have ppaf until she was almost 2, and then my cycles were like 20 days long until she weaned herself. My body was saying No pregnancies while nursing! And whenever I've been low weight like that, anything just slightly more active than usual makes my period disappear completely. (Not talking extreme stuff... normal stuff like skiing or a long bike ride!) Anyway, I'm up to 120 now, and although I was hoping for more, my body is limiting me to one pound gain a week. That's ok, I'm not going to fight it. I want to try to maintain 135 lbs after pregnancy, because I would to get pregnant with my 3rd while nursing the one I'm pregnant with now. I want to tandem and have the next two closer in age than these two will be. Now if I can just get my DH to stop swiping my snacks!

Yikes, I am so sorry I went off and !

Can you tell me more about the B12? What's your favorite food with it? Or is a supplement best?
#8 of 14 Old 06-29-2006, 02:34 AM

I'm not sure if I'm in the right birth month because my periods were goofed up for a few months but I am definitely with you on the extra calories. I am naturally underweight and when not pregnant eat 2200 calories a day. Nursing melted the weight off me really quickly from my last pregnancy but I am excited that I actually started this pregnancy over 100 lbs.

One thing I do when I really need to pack on the calories is my 700 calorie shake. I use Stonyfield's whole vanilla yogurt, a little ice cream &/or whipping cream, and fresh frozen fruit. I drink it after my breakfast (egg sandwich - toasted ww bread, thick slice of cheddar, egg and I put mayo on mine). I find packing the calories into the earlier part of my day means I don't have to organize my whole day around it. Eating as it is, seems to consume so much of my life that I try to not have to sit down at the end of the day worrying that I didn't get in enough calories that day.

Nausea is limiting my appetite, but I'm still getting the calories in. I'm worried that I haven't gained any weight though yet. I don't know how far along I am - I hope to know more at my appointment on Monday. I'm atleast 6 weeks, but I could be even a month more than that.
#9 of 14 Old 06-29-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats Sophmama! Glad to hear I'm not alone. Whipping cream in the smoothie... good idea! The fact that you are able to still get the calories in depsite the nausea is awesome!! I hear you about worrying though. I'm sure it'll be fine especially since you are able to keep the calories coming in!! (Easier for me to say and believe for someone else than it is for me to say and believe it for myself! ) I hope you have a great appointment Monday!! You'll have to let us know how far along you actually are!
#10 of 14 Old 06-29-2006, 10:53 PM

Thanks Astromom

My friend and I were talking today and she mentioned that my weight gain that put me up to 102 was really recent and may have actually been due to the pregnancy. Depending on how far along I find out I am - I may actually have started at a lower weight (I was 95 lbs. for a while there).

Either way - I've found myself craving sweets and my friend was saying that I may not be getting enough carbs in and my body is wanting fast carbs to compensate. So I'm trying to up my intake of good carbs. I'm craving baked potatoes which I know convert to not as healthy carbs, but it's not as bad as the candybar I snagged last minute when checking out at a store yesterday. I do try to keep my high fat and high calorie foods really natural in general. The candybar was gross - tasted like corn syrup. I probably would have a taste for the $5 candybars at Trader Joes but I hate to fork over that kind of cash

My first pregnancy I was pretty good about keeping a high fat, high carb, high calorie diet but still doing it mostly whole foods and fairly natural. This time around running my own business and chasing a toddler - I'm finding myself craving crap food and it's a bit harder.
#11 of 14 Old 07-04-2006, 03:17 AM

Ok I'm headed to February 07 for now. My midwife appointment said that I'm probably 8 weeks, but due to a number of factors, I'm going to have a sono done to determine my due date. So - I'll pop in and see what's happening (and see if there's any more chatting about weight gain tips!!) [side note - I gained 2 lbs. this month!! Woo-hoo!!]
#12 of 14 Old 07-04-2006, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

That's awesome Sophmama! It sounds like things are going well! Have a good long healthy time in the Feb DDC! And my gosh, there are 5$ candybars at Trader Joes? Those must be some tasty bars.
#13 of 14 Old 07-05-2006, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Avacado? I liked having warm ww tortillas and either putting chunks of avacado in or mushing up the avacado and dipping.

You could try making devilled eggs for some variety with your hard boiled eggs. Also making egg salad and using it as a dip for bread or veggies or crackers is a variation.

A mix of salmon (standard size can of pink salmon, drained) and cream cheese (I think a 1/2 lb brick) mixed up with some horseradish and lemon in it is a yummy dip for toast points, crackers, etc.

Full fat yoghurt with cinammon, honey or maple syrup, raisins, and apple chunks is a great summer snack.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#14 of 14 Old 07-07-2006, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Brisen, thanks for the ideas! I get in ruts and it's so hard to think of new things. In fact, I was JUST thinking about the fact that I can't stomach the idea of eating one more plain hard-boiled egg, so thanks especially for the devilled egg reminder.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page