March Homebirthers Roll Call! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 175 Old 06-29-2006, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Being as this is MDC and all there have to be a few of us planning to birth at home. Come on in and introduce yourselves and let's chat!
#2 of 175 Old 06-29-2006, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I'll start. Ds was born all natural in a hospital birth center with a CNM and doula. It was a great experience but now that we are more settled house-wise, I am really looking forward to a home water birth this time around.

The MW I am planning to see was apprenticing with the CNM I saw with ds and I just love her. She is so excited that I am finally pregnant that she set an appointment to see me at 6 weeks rather than the regular 9 (I have had a couple early m/c's so we've had a couple of false starts together already). That means my first appt is in 2 weeks - thus making this pregnancy seem like it is going way too fast already!

I'm looking forward to hearing form the rest of you!
#3 of 175 Old 06-29-2006, 09:28 PM

Me me me me meeeeeeeeee! The March due month actually pushes off my plans for a year, otherwise I'd be gearing up to apply to midwifery school this fall, so there was no question this would be a planned homebirth baby!

Have you started contacting midwives yet? Already have one lined up? Waiting until 2nd trimester? I live in Portland, OR, which has a glut of midwives (and yes, this is where I'm planning on practicing! ), but the favorites fill up fast, but I want to interview a bunch, so... : Haven't quite figured it all out yet!

And the timeline is complicated by my being in another state next week, otherwise I'd probably start calling around then. When I get back, though, probably...
#4 of 175 Old 06-29-2006, 09:31 PM

Oops, crossposted! Anyway, this is our first, and we're planning a home probably water birth (still looking for the deepest tub we can find and afford - I'm both tall and large, and those 24" pools just seem so shallow!). I've trained as a labor doula, am an aspiring midwife, and we're looking for a CPM or other DEM - kinda a no-brainer for us.
#5 of 175 Old 06-29-2006, 11:06 PM

Paisley, congrats! How great that you get to do your next at home! It's a wonderful experience!! So sorry about your losses.

Arwyn congrats to you too! That's so awesome that you are planning on doing midwifery school! As far as tubs go, I don't really know much but I'm tallish (5'7") and I loved the Aquadoula.

As for me, I'll be definitely having my second homebirth. The question is whether it will be a planned unassisted. I had a 45 minute labor (that I recognized) with my DD, and my midwife made it just in time to watch my DH catch her. This time around, we moved and the nearest midwives are 45 minutes away -- except ONE, who made me cry when I talked to her on the phone!! And I'm not a cryer, darn pregnancy hormones. Anyway, do I pay someone 3000$ to probably not be at my birth, or do I just learn everything I can and go unassisted? Or do I go with the nearby midwife who I apparently have a personality conflict with? Ugh. I'm going to meet with her again just in case she was just having a lousy day...
#6 of 175 Old 06-29-2006, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Astromom! Congrats to you too! :

I can't believe she made you cry on the phone! Maybe she will be better in person because if you two hit it off it sounds like that would be a good answer to your dilemma. Props to you for considering unassisted! I feel like it's not quite the right choice for me but I have a lot of respect and admiration for those who go UC. Good thing we get another 8 months to sort these details all out, right?
#7 of 175 Old 06-29-2006, 11:23 PM
kdf

I am going to have my second homebirth. I just found out I am pg today so I haven't started calling midwives yet. Probably tomorrow I will. I am so excited about doing this again. I loved having my ds at home. And so happy this time I have other mamas to talk to about it.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#8 of 175 Old 06-30-2006, 12:43 AM

Planning my 6th homebirth (had 1 transfer). Have to find a new midwife this time. If anyone is in the Phoenix area and has recs let me know!

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#9 of 175 Old 06-30-2006, 05:18 PM

My DD was born via c-section due to failed induction. Going to avoid all intervention this time and birth at home for my best chances of a safe VBAC.

I've known I am pregnant for about a week and a half, no rush to call the midwife. I'm enjoying the peacefulness of just being pregnant and not worrying about anything else.

I have a great support system lined up, just haven't confirmed the midwife. We are very excited!
#10 of 175 Old 07-01-2006, 04:22 PM

I am planning a home birth and am soooo excited about it. Our twins were born in a hospital and I'm just looking forward to the intimacy and privacy of having a homebirth. There are very few midwives in our area so I already called one and we are going to meet on the 17th.

I'm so excited about this prospect. It just feels so right for our family : .
#11 of 175 Old 07-01-2006, 09:42 PM

Paisley, thanks! You are so right about having a lot of time to sort it out. Exactly what I was just saying to DH. She seemed kind of spacey, like she wasn't listening to me. I got that feeling many times in the conversation, but when she told me her price and I said "Oh, that's more than I expected because another midwife quoted about 1000$ less than that a few months ago," she replied by telling me I was irresponsible for having a child without thinking about the cost. : If only she could see the excel sheets I've written up in the past year figuring out all the finances involved!! Oh my gosh I miss my midwife from California....

kdf, I hope you were able to talk to some midwives yesterday! You'll have to let us know how it went.

Full Heart, I hope you have no problems finding a great midwife.

tika, yay that you have a great support system set up for your VBAC! That's wonderful!!

Alisa, you're right, it is so intimate and private... it's just great. I can't imagine doing it any other way now.

So, I am starting to lean more toward unassisted as a preference instead of a last resort. My SIL (a nurse) was telling me she would come and stay here with me for a week so she could be here with me when I go into labor, and she would check the heartrates, and she would "only do vaginal exams if necessary", and etc, etc... and it made me stop and think. I had the most peaceful, beautiful experience with DD's birth.. no midwives, no dopplers, no checks, no stress, no nervousness. Yes, we were happy to see our last midwife walk in our house at the last minute as DH was catching her because we weren't expecting to do it alone. But now I'm not sure I even want the low interventions of a midwife. Anyway, yes, lots of time to think it over!
#12 of 175 Old 07-01-2006, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom
...but when she told me her price and I said "Oh, that's more than I expected because another midwife quoted about 1000$ less than that a few months ago," she replied by telling me I was irresponsible for having a child without thinking about the cost. :
WHAT??? Nevermind what I said before about meeting her in person! And hello, doesn't the fact that you got quotes from other MWs show that you have been thinking this out?

Your SIL sounds like an awesome resource. I would be thinking that UC looked really good in your situation.

Oh and where were you in CA? I'm on the central cost.
#13 of 175 Old 07-02-2006, 12:10 AM

So how do you decide which midwife? I have talked to one on the phone. I really like her. I am meeting another in person on the 6th, I know her already shes been at 2 of my previous births. And setting up a phone interview with another midwife for after the 9th. Then I have to choose. How will I know? When I choose before it never occured me that I could actually interview people like for a job. Kinda just figured you just picked one and went with it . Of course it will be made very easy if one or both of these last 2 won't take me because I am always post dates. But in case I have 3 to choose from, How do I choose?

#14 of 175 Old 07-02-2006, 09:10 AM

I would base my decision on two important things:

1) Who do you feel most comfortable with?

2) Who do you think will give you the birth that you want? What kind of interventions are you willing or not willing to accept and who is likely to be more comfortable with your decisions and not pressure you?

Yes, definitely ask them how they feel about postdates.

Another suggestion, perhaps you could "pad" your due date a little bit to give you more time without having pressure? Perhaps by only a day or a few days.

As for me, I really don't have many options if I want an HBAC. I have one midwife option or to go unassisted if I want a home birth and to avoid another unnecessary cesarean. I wish I had several to choose from! You are so fortunate.
#15 of 175 Old 07-02-2006, 09:59 AM
kdf

There are four mw clinics where I live so I have to call all four and do an intake with them. Then the mw in the clinis meet and decide if they are going to take me. So I have only had one clinic call me back which was the one that I had last time. So the chances are good that I will get her again b/c I am a repeat client and I am having a homebirth. But the clinic told me that I should start prenatal care with a dr. I am not doing that b/c I refuse to have a dr or the baby in the hospital. I will have to figure something out if that is the case.

Good luck to everyone else trying to find a mw.

#16 of 175 Old 07-02-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tika
I would base my decision on two important things:

1) Who do you feel most comfortable with?

2) Who do you think will give you the birth that you want? What kind of interventions are you willing or not willing to accept and who is likely to be more comfortable with your decisions and not pressure you?

Yes, definitely ask them how they feel about postdates.

Another suggestion, perhaps you could "pad" your due date a little bit to give you more time without having pressure? Perhaps by only a day or a few days.

As for me, I really don't have many options if I want an HBAC. I have one midwife option or to go unassisted if I want a home birth and to avoid another unnecessary cesarean. I wish I had several to choose from! You are so fortunate.
I actually probably would have more to choose from, there are alot of mws here. Like 20! Last pg I padded my edd easily since I did have a pp af and it looked like I delivered 2 weeks early. That was sooooo nice. No pressure. But this time it will be very difficult to pad my edd. My lmp was May 6th, I didn't have EWCM till June 5-7th. So if I went with my LMP I would have an edd in Feb - which would make me a whole mos past my edd! I did however have bleeding the 19-23 so I can lie say I had af and would give me a edd of March 26 so I would again deliver early. But then we have the whole problem of measuring huge and hearing hb way early etc. So I am just going with my O days. Later on if we have to we can change my edd to reflect the bleeding I had.

Since I am a vetern hber I know there are some things I am just not willing to bend on so if a mw just can't see around them I will just not choose her. In the end I just hope I make the right decision.

#17 of 175 Old 07-02-2006, 10:18 PM

I'm considering homebirth. My last two births were straightforward. (1st son, 12 hours start to finish, 2nd son, 4 hours start to finish). No complications. I would rather stay at home than have the drive to the hospital I had last time!
#18 of 175 Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisley
WHAT??? Nevermind what I said before about meeting her in person! And hello, doesn't the fact that you got quotes from other MWs show that you have been thinking this out?

Your SIL sounds like an awesome resource. I would be thinking that UC looked really good in your situation.

Oh and where were you in CA? I'm on the central cost.
Yeah, it was a really weird conversation with that woman.

My SIL definitely IS an awesome resource -- she's had several homebirths herself, and she is an amazing source of knowledge. If she wanted to be here as my friend, that would be fine. However, the thought of her here being a medical professional and worrying about me doesn't appeal to me so much.

I was in the bay area, south of San Francisco. (If anyone's there, I can recommend the best midwife!) We were only there a few years, and I miss California a lot -- but we went back east to be near family, and we could actually buy a house where we are now. Are you from there originally?
#19 of 175 Old 07-03-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf
But the clinic told me that I should start prenatal care with a dr. I am not doing that b/c I refuse to have a dr or the baby in the hospital. I will have to figure something out if that is the case.
kdf, do you know why they are wanting you to start prenatal care with a dr? It's the same clinic you went to before, right? Did they ask you to do that last time too?
#20 of 175 Old 07-04-2006, 01:22 AM

We're planning a homebirth. Very exciting! One of the doulas I know also owns and rents waterbirth tubs in the area, which is really nice! She comes and sets the up, then comes and drains and takes it all away after the birth. We have our first visit with the midwife on the 17th.
#21 of 175 Old 07-04-2006, 02:30 AM

I'm hoping to hba2c...there is a midwife near me who does them, so I *think* I'm set, although I've not contacted her yet. Ds1 I trusted a dr. and ended up strapped to a bed w/ pitocin because I had a small leak, but no real contractions...20 hours later they discovered -- oops; he's breech -- almost transverse! No wonder no progress -- nothing was pressing on my cervix.

Ds2 was an attempted hbac, but my midwife was a bit antsy as my progress was slow (okay... she didn't get anxious until day 2, lol). But I should have let my body rest when it wanted to (I could have probably slept overnight??). Instead I listened to her and walked around stomping, etc. taking mild herbs/homeopathics, etc. And eventually let her break my water. Turns out he was posterior & had his head cocked to a wierd angle in/at my c/s scar. So with the water broke I ended up with his head stuck there...c/s #2.

I'm really nervous, but there's no way I'm just going to sit back for an elective c/s. I'm prayin' already!
#22 of 175 Old 07-04-2006, 07:21 AM

I'd love to have a homebirth, but DH is a bit skittish about it. I did get him to agree to at least talk to someone who does them so we know if it will fit with us. I'm a chiropractor, and all for less intervention and no drugs, he's a little more medically minded (not a lot, just more traditional in some ways, I guess). I think he's also concerned about what his role will be at home, feeling like he has to host the event (which, ummmm, I'm doing all the work, honey!) and feeling split and not able to just support me. We'll see, though. If we do something else, we definitly want to check out the birthing center at the hospital down the street. We've heard great things, and they do have water birthing tubs there, so at least I'll get that if not at home.

I made my first appt with the CNM's that I saw during my last pregnancy. I figure there's plenty of time to change providers and change course, but it's difficult to get that first appointment, so I'm glad it's at least on the books. I'll keep you all posted as we decide. It's nice to hear others planning a homebirth - I know I'm not quite so crazy.

-Mindi
#23 of 175 Old 07-04-2006, 12:24 PM

We're planning a home waterbirth. I still have to interview the midwives, but there are only two to consider, so that shouldn't take long.
My son was born at a birth center, and I just feel like I'm ready for the next step.
My biggest concern is keeping my house clean in those final weeks. I have a hard enough time cleaning when I'm NOT pregnant!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#24 of 175 Old 07-04-2006, 12:31 PM

We're also planning a home water birth. Like, Debi, I had my first son at a birth center but would like to have our next baby at home. We're moving into a rambler next month and I'm already planning on where we'll set up the pool!
I have a great set of midwives who I'm really looking forward to seeing again.
#25 of 175 Old 07-04-2006, 12:39 PM

Hi, shalena! Nice to see you! Congratulations!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#26 of 175 Old 07-04-2006, 12:41 PM

You too! I'm glad I'm seeing a few familar faces here!
#27 of 175 Old 07-06-2006, 08:52 AM

I am so excited about having a homebirth this time! I had my DD at a stand-alone birthing center. It was great but the 45 minute drive there during transition was not my idea of fun. I did all the work myself with no meds, so I figure why go somewhere for that? I found a midwifery group much closer, and they do homebirths. I’d like to try a water birth this time, too. I'm so excited!!
#28 of 175 Old 07-08-2006, 03:52 AM

Hi all! Just thought I'd bump this up, I'm planning on homebirth this time around. My birth with DD was a standard high-intervention hospital birth: pitocin, epidural, flat on my back in the bed, coached pushing.
I am really excited to have a comfortable relaxed natural birth without all of the high drama that doctors pump you up with.
#29 of 175 Old 07-09-2006, 09:28 PM
kdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom
kdf, do you know why they are wanting you to start prenatal care with a dr? It's the same clinic you went to before, right? Did they ask you to do that last time too?
Astromom, I don't know I think they said b/c if I don't get a MW then it is easier if I have already started with a dr and I don't have to worry about finding one later. Yes they asked me to do the same thing last time. And actually last time all the clinics said no until my SIL called one and begged them to take me. They said they would only if I would have a homebirth (which is what I wanted but ppl were putting doubts in my head right before I called all the clinics)
Anyways so I had a appt made with a dr and had to cancel it when I got my MW. So this time I will just wait to see if I get one. My SIL has her MW's number and said she would call her if I don't get one. I am really not worried b/c I am a repeat client and I am having a homebirth.

#30 of 175 Old 07-10-2006, 03:12 PM

Hi all. Just found out we are expecting #3, and planning our second homebirth. Leaning towards a UC this time. Looking forward to chatting with you all over the coming months!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page