Well, this is progress. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-03-2006, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm continuing my hunt for an insurance-covered VBAC. It's been an uphill battle, but we had some progress today.

There are plenty of VBAC-supportive midwives in the area. None of them, though, accept my insurance, and the OBs I've talked to have not been very supportive, including the OB that did my c-section. SHE'S told me, very civilly and honestly, that she won't attend a VBAC, and that she'll go on record as having advised me against it, and if I turn up at the hospital in active labor I'll have to go with the resident on duty. Not my idea of the ideal birth plan. She's not being a PIA about it-- she's been very upfront and honest about what she will and will not do. I don't blame her, not really, although I do blame the hospital and practice she's working within.

I've researched this, and there's nothing in my history that makes it a bigger risk than I'm willing to take. I'm comfortable with the idea of a VBAC (although not enough to go unassisted).

Anyway, I finally found a practice today that told me that their providers are supportive of VBAC in "certain situations," and that they'd be happy to take me on for prenatal care and "see what happens."

This is more promising than anything I've found so far. It's not ideal-- it's an ob practice with midwives operating withing the practice. We're not getting away from medicalized birth there. I may still wind up in the operating room. But it might be my only chance to avoid the knife.

So I made an appointment to go in and talk to one of their midwives, but I also made an appointment with my old OB. I'm gonna see which place I get better "vibes" at. I wish I could see both for awhile and delay my decision, but the insurance isn't going for it.

If I'm gonna have a section again, I'd rather stick with my own ob. I like her, I trust her as a medical doctor, and I know from experience that she'll work with me to make it as positive a birth as possible.

But if I can avoid a section, I'll seize the chance. So this is maybe progress??? Too early to say.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#2 of 7 Old 07-03-2006, 10:21 PM

Have you looked into seeing how much your insurance would cover if you went with an out of network midwife? If you found a midwife that you feel really comfortable with that it out of network with your insurance co, she very well may be able to work with you on payments.

To me, paying extra money is worth not being cut (unnecessarily) again and the risk that would carry to my future children. We don't have much money to begin with, but it's worth the sacrifice to get the birth I want, at least the best shot at it.

I would be weary of the "we'll see how things go" attitude. Like you said, it's not ideal, and it doesn't sound very supportive to me at all. You will get a better idea and feeling after you have had your initial visit with them.

You can always use your OB for "shadow care" if you feel you want to have her as back up for whatever reason you end up needing a repeat c/s.

The things we have to go through to birth normally...It shouldn't have to be this difficult.

I hope you find the right care provider who is truly supportive of your VBAC.
#3 of 7 Old 07-03-2006, 11:13 PM

Oh Llyra, I am so sorry you are going through this. I agree with tika, it shouldn't have to be this difficult to have a normal birth. I really hope that this practice you found is a good one.
#4 of 7 Old 07-04-2006, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

The trouble is, it's an HMO. I enroll in a "maternity program" which is then "managed" by whatever provider I choose. Only services provided by that ob or midwife are covered. It bites. And I'm broke, like really, truly broke, like I'm driving a car borrowed from my in-laws kinda broke. I can't afford to pay a midwife. There are only six midwives that are covered, and they all operate out of two local obstetric practices.

I talked to this midwife last night for a long time. She's pretty willing to go to bat for me against the doctors, and I set up an appointment to meet with her and go over my medical records and talk about my situation. I'm feeling pretty good about her so far.
I dunno. It's so far from an ideal situation, but it's so much better than what I had last time-- I had the entire medicalized birth, the works, the whole cascade of interventions. So I can only go up from there....

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 7 Old 07-08-2006, 02:11 PM

Oh Llyra... All I can really say is Good Luck!!!! I hate the maternity "care" system in this country. :
#6 of 7 Old 07-09-2006, 11:08 AM

Have you gotten in touch with an ICAN leader in your area? they may be able to point you to more options you weren't aware of.
http://www.ican-online.org/community/chapters.php

Or is there a homebirth midwife that will attend you? I know of a few traveling midwives that will travel to you.
#7 of 7 Old 07-09-2006, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetastesgood
Have you gotten in touch with an ICAN leader in your area? they may be able to point you to more options you weren't aware of.
http://www.ican-online.org/community/chapters.php

Or is there a homebirth midwife that will attend you? I know of a few traveling midwives that will travel to you.
I'm gonna check it out. I don't have high hopes for a homebirth, though, not in NJ. I found a PA midwife that would have helped me VBAC, but I'd need to do it in PA, and I can't imagine anyone lending me their house to have a baby in.

I will check out the site, though, and see if there's any information I haven't considered. Thank you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page