Keeping Nausea at bay.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-04-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
well - my last pregnancy I had pretty rough MS for about 4 weeks (fel like an eternity!) - from about 6-10 weeks. Maybe I'll get lucky this time, but I'm preparing myself, and trying to keep it as under control as possible! I'm looking for suggestions, though here's what I have so far:

high protein low fat diet
crackers/cereal before getting up in the morning
MINT TEA (which SAVED me last time!)
chewing crystal ginger and drinking organic true ginger ale (whole foods)

Anyone else living in fear?!!!!!

jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-04-2006, 02:16 PM

I am right there with you hoping to avoid the massive morning sickness I have had before. I have heard that Vitamin B6 supplements can help prevent ms, and also making sure to eat small protein snacks frequently throughout the day (and night if neccessary) can be helpful.

Also, staying well hydrated supposedly helps. We'll see. For now, I am just trying to enjoy every sickness-free day I can.
#3 of 13 Old 07-04-2006, 02:36 PM

Keeping my tummy full helped last time, as well as eating before getting out of bed.
Mint tea sounds good, thanks for the recommendation!
#4 of 13 Old 07-04-2006, 04:04 PM

I just started feeling a bit queasy yesterday, so I know the full-blown barfs are on their way. My solution in the past has always been to snack on tiny amounts of food pretty nearly constantly. I feel fine for about a half hour after I eat, then I start to feel crappy again, so I just keep on eating, to the point that I get up at night to snack, and snacking a bit before I even lift my head up in the morning.. That, and I try to eat what I'm craving as long as it's within reason health-wise. Right now I have an intense craving for beans--- ???

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 09:13 PM

I've found that an occassional bread and butter pickle, sour grapes, orange juice, or some apple sauce helps. Also the sour preggy pops or any sour candy.

It doesn't work all the time, like when I'm simply not in the mood But occassionally through the day as long as I've kept up with protein snacks and meals through the day this has helped.

My problem is that when I do throw groceries in the toilet, I do it so violently that I pee my pants and the water splashes in my face: The first issue is definately not a kegal issue because I can sneeze cough etc w/o wetting my pants but it's the full blown pushing out of the groceries that causes the puddle. I tried getting closer to the toilet to avoid the face wash and it just got more on me!!!: Any solutions besides heading for the kitchen sink?
#6 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 09:50 PM

growinfaith -
Do what I do when I have a stomach bug. Sit on the toilet (taking care of the peeing issue) and puke in a plastic trashcan. You'll have to rinse out the trashcan, but you won't get stuff on you, and you won't have to change your pants all the time.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#7 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 09:59 PM

Just came from my fabulous Chiropractor today, (much more than a Chiropractor though - much training in eastern medicine and manual muscle testing...he is invaluable to me and has changed my life health wise!) and he recommended Phosphorus for nausea.
He has me taking one dropper full of liquid Phosphorus in a bit of water per day. The brand is Standard Process, which I think you have to get through a practitioner, usually a Chiropractor in my experience. Anyway I am sure there are other brands.
I have been nauseous pretty much all the time for at least 2 weeks now (am 7 weeks prego). I will keep you posted re: how the Phosphorus is working over the next few days.
#8 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 PM

I just went to the co-op today and stocked up on Ginger Tea, Vitamin B-6 and Ginger extract tablets. Last time the B-6 worked great, and I also sucked on Jolly Ranchers (Pink Lemonade, mmmmmmm) suckers as if my life depended on it

CPST & mom

#9 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 10:09 AM

Has anyone tried Preggy Pops? I got some for a friend last month, and picked up a few for me, just in case. Haven't tried them myself yet though.
#10 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Haven't tried the preggie pops myself... I would imagine they are similar to sucking candy. I forgot to add - GRAPES were a really good thing for me - I would be a stash with me all the time.. I think the sweet, juicy flavor can really settle a "funny tummy"!
BTW - I never tried the vitamin B-12, but am interested in trying it. Is it totally safe for pregnant women?!

Thanks for the suggestions so far - this has become a great and useful thread!

jo
#11 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 10:41 AM

Jo - I believe it's b6 not b12. I've also heard it works better if taken regularly before pregnancy, but it's worth it to try now, too.

In line with the vinegary/sour thing, I've heard a little apple cider vinegar in a glass of water works well. I tried it a month or two ago when I had a major pukey bug, but it didn't really work for me (didn't like the taste), but tastes change in pregnancy, so who knows?

I haven't really hit the nauseas stage yet. : it doesn't start until I'm safely home in Oregon and not halfway across the continent...
#12 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

OOPS - I meant B6 - haha preg brain setting in already!
#13 of 13 Old 07-07-2006, 03:57 PM

When I was pregnant with my son, my doc recommended B6 and unisom before bed. It really didn't help me, but since then I've heard that it has helped lots of women. I'm wondering if I started too late...after the vomiting had commenced!

This time I'm just eating non-stop. If my stomach gets empty, things get hairy. The mint tea didn't work for me, it made me really burpy? It tasted great though!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page