PALS in the house! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 317 Old 09-09-2006, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yikes, Amber! I hope the spotting has gone away! Sending lots of sticky vibes your way
#302 of 317 Old 09-12-2006, 06:06 PM

We had our appt today. It went well!

The other day I whacked my abdomen really freaking hard, but I tried not to worry about it since there is so much cushioning in there for baby. I hadn't felt any of those "maybe movements" since, but I just figured it was a coincidence. Well, today she was feeling my uterus and she said "Wow, do you have any pain over here? Your uterus is off-center." I totally panicked and told her that was where I whacked myself so badly. And then of course she couldn't pick up the heartbeat with the fetoscope. SOOOO, I caved guys. Had the doppler. She maybe only had it on there for 60 seconds, but it felt like such an invasion. But at the same time I was laughing from the delight of hearing the heartbeat, and tears were streaming down my face! 151 bpm So fast and healthy! After she took it off, dh said "What are you having, a baby or a freight train?" Hee hee.

Just wanted to pass on the good news!
#303 of 317 Old 09-12-2006, 06:52 PM

Excellent news Jenny!! Sorry you whacked yourself so hard though. . Ouch.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#304 of 317 Old 09-13-2006, 02:22 PM

Yay on !!! Congrats, Mama. Take care of your belly from now on. My 3 yr old foster DD insists on pushing on my tummy harder than neccessary, and hitting it. : (Can someone say "jealous"?) We were ating lunch the other day and she says "Mom, your belly is getting BIG.", while pushing on it. My sweet DS kisses my belly and talks to the baby already!!!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#305 of 317 Old 09-14-2006, 01:21 PM

Thanks mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberSun
Take care of your belly from now on.
No kidding! It was due entirely to my own idiocy. I was cleaning the bathroom, my brain had apparently checked out for the day, and it's too embarrassing to go into details. Suffice it to say, it won't happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberSun
My 3 yr old foster DD insists on pushing on my tummy harder than neccessary, and hitting it. : (Can someone say "jealous"?) We were ating lunch the other day and she says "Mom, your belly is getting BIG.", while pushing on it. My sweet DS kisses my belly and talks to the baby already!!!
Yikes about your 3 yr old! But that is sooooo cute about DS!!
#306 of 317 Old 09-14-2006, 05:00 PM

I am 13 weeks and have had 3 mc (5/05, 12/05 and 4/06). It's good to know i am not the only one who still holds her breath each time i go to the rr hoping not to see blood!

I have a question. At 13 weeks how large or what should the fundus be measuring? I (of course) am freaked out and think the baby isn't growing. I have mw appt next week and I will be reassured then, but thought i would check in here....

Hugs to all- mama to Sweet noah 7/14/02

Katie

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. - Oscar Wilde
#307 of 317 Old 09-16-2006, 02:24 PM

Katie --- Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the measurements aren't always accurate in early (before 20 weeks) pregnancy. I've always measured small (especially in early pregnancy) and given birth to normal sized, healthy babies.

My new worry is Down Syndrome. I've heard that most are born these days to mothers UNDER 35 who aren't routinely given tests. I'm 33, and I think my odds are about 1 in 640 or somethings like that. I've had all I can do to handle 2 healthy, normal children. I really hate myself for having these thoughts, but I've actually consided testing, and I'm someone who was planning to avoid even ultrasounds and doppler. Should I feel bad for these thoughts? Am I a terrible person?

DH leaves everything up to me, which can be kind of frustrating!

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#308 of 317 Old 09-16-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyClaire
My new worry is Down Syndrome. I've heard that most are born these days to mothers UNDER 35 who aren't routinely given tests. I'm 33, and I think my odds are about 1 in 640 or somethings like that. I've had all I can do to handle 2 healthy, normal children. I really hate myself for having these thoughts, but I've actually consided testing, and I'm someone who was planning to avoid even ultrasounds and doppler. Should I feel bad for these thoughts? Am I a terrible person?
Jenny, I can totally understand. I'm 34 and definitely doing the AFP screen. If the risk assessment of that seems to high to me then I'll go for the level 2 u/s. It may not be the popular consideration but it's what I need to feel comfortable.

#309 of 317 Old 09-16-2006, 03:30 PM

Katie, I think probably they say grapefruit size for how far along you are.. but since that can vary from person to person what I do is just compare to what I was the week before. I also compare to what I was with dd at the same stage.

JennyClaire, I don't think there is any right or wrong way to think about the testing. I personally would be too worried about false positives but you have to do what is right for yourself. Did you have a nice vacation?

Hope everyone is doing well!
#310 of 317 Old 09-17-2006, 12:15 PM

That's funny, must be a thought wave we are tapping into out there. I was having thoughts/concerns about that too recently.

My final thoughts,for me personally, have been that we have done so much to have this child after 3 miscarriages (weekly accupuncture and herbs @ $100 a week since May) and have already made so many sacrifices to do all we can to keep it, if we do have a downs, or other major special needs I guess it was just in the cards and I'll find a way to deal.

One of my brothers is CP (as a result of brain injury in a car accident at age 3) so I know first hand how hard a special needs child can be, and for how long ( he's now 37 and has to have round the clock care and assistance). Special needs can be a drain energetically, as well as financially. Not something I would choose for my child, but I can say even with all his difficulties he has one of the most beautiful hearts I have ever known. He is truly a beautiful soul trapped in a helpless body

So i guess to make a short story long... you have every right to be concerned, and it doesn't make you a bad person.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. - Oscar Wilde
#311 of 317 Old 09-17-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom
Katie, I think probably they say grapefruit size for how far along you are.. but since that can vary from person to person what I do is just compare to what I was the week before. I also compare to what I was with dd at the same stage.

JennyClaire, I don't think there is any right or wrong way to think about the testing. I personally would be too worried about false positives but you have to do what is right for yourself. Did you have a nice vacation?

Hope everyone is doing well!
The only problem is that I seemed to have aquired a nice belly roll that makes it hard to locate exactly Thanks for your responses, I am feeling more at peace the last few days as the nausea has returned just enough to let me know things seem to be okay in there

Looking forward to seeing MW on Wed!!!

#312 of 317 Old 09-20-2006, 02:44 PM

I have been thinking of disabilities a lot lately too but probably not anymore then my other pregnancies. One of my good friends had a baby born in April with a lot of physical problems and was given a 60% chance of living his first 24 hours. He was in the hospital for 2 months and is doing pretty good now but still has weekly physical therapy. So I guess just knowing about her little guy makes me worry more.

On a happy note I bought 4 nursing bras the other day which was a big step. I am finally starting to let myself believe I am really going to have a baby.
#313 of 317 Old 09-20-2006, 06:14 PM

Weird question for everyone. This week (and I'm 14 weeks right now) I had this sudden overwhelming desire to take a pregnancy test. . just to see I guess. In so many ways I don't "feel" like I'm pregnant. Sure most of my pants are unwearable and I'm occasionally still extremely tired. It's just such a blah time. . .not daily overwhelmed by the feelings of something going horribly wrong and not feeling the awesome blissed out feeling of the second trimester yet.

Has anyone else had this urge?

#314 of 317 Old 09-20-2006, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemommy View Post
Weird question for everyone. This week (and I'm 14 weeks right now) I had this sudden overwhelming desire to take a pregnancy test. . just to see I guess. In so many ways I don't "feel" like I'm pregnant. Sure most of my pants are unwearable and I'm occasionally still extremely tired. It's just such a blah time. . .not daily overwhelmed by the feelings of something going horribly wrong and not feeling the awesome blissed out feeling of the second trimester yet.

Has anyone else had this urge?
I would have totally peed on a stick a couple nights ago but I had already promised them to someone else. I have this huge urge to go get an u/s too, even though I swore I wouldn't if not necessary. I think I'm in the same place you are mentally. I've felt a couple movements but not enough to convince me that they really are the baby and other than that I don't really feel super pregnant (I'm 16 wks today).

I wonder if it has something to do with us holding back emotionally from our pregnancies as sort of a protection in case it didn't work out. Now I'm sort of lost in limbo-land because I'm pretty sure things are ok but I'm still hesitant to really bond with this babe for whatever reason. It's like I can't get enough proof that this is real and that it's ok to get emotionally involved. Does that make sense? I'm having trouble putting it into the right words, but it's something along those lines for me. I wonder if it will ever get easier for us worry-ers.
#315 of 317 Old 09-20-2006, 06:28 PM

Totally paisley! you hit it on the head. All that holding back has me wanting weekly reassurance. So that I can embrace it. I don't even get into worry cycles because I'm so withdrawn.

And this after 3 quick u/s and hearing the heartbeat (briefly) on doppler.

I wonder if my totaly need to NOT find out the gender has something to do with my reservations.

#316 of 317 Old 09-21-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
Thanks, Jenny. Yes, I had a good vacation (although my parents sure stress me out at times --- a vacation with them always helps me remember why I moved 1000 miles away)! The saddest part was the end of vacation, and leaving DD at prep school (her idea, her choice). Still have moments of unbelievable emptiness and sadness....

But enough of that.

I've decided not to test for Downs, which would have been amnio to know for sure. I don't think I could abort after 12 or 13 weeks even if something was wrong, and I don't want to risk the babe just for my own anxiety. For heaven's sake, I'm not even using a doppler "just in case" it's harmful, so how could I have considered amnio. Whatever will be, will be, right?

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#317 of 317 Old 09-22-2006, 12:48 AM

Aw, JennyClaire, I didn't realize you were dropping her off for school as part of this trip. I hope it is a wonderful time for her, but I can see how that would be difficult!!

I have to agree with the "whatever will be" attitude! It fills me with peace to think that way, and I hold onto that every day. We can't have any idea what will really happen, and we never have any guarantees, even with tests.

Be, I am guilty of keeping 3 pregnancy tests in my medicine cabinet just in case.

PrinceE&LsMom, I'm sorry to hear about your friend's little one -- I hope everything ends up being ok.

Katie, did you have a good appt with your MW?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page