Prenatals? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started taking "preg-natal vitamins" with omega and DHA fatty acids. Unfort it's 6 pills and one oil caplet a day. Has anyone else tried this one? I got it from whole foods.
#32 of 44 Old 07-07-2006, 11:03 PM

I've been taking prenatals since my last pg (which ended in a mc). They're the generic drugstore brand.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#33 of 44 Old 07-08-2006, 05:40 AM

Paisley - I've heard of the ProDHA, and I've recommended it to pregnant women I knew. Hope you can keep finding it, or that you find you like the other stuff! (What's the difference?)

Curlylocks - I haven't heard of that specific brand, but it sounds decent, if you can get all the pills down. (Because of first the Depakote and then the prenatals and fish oils, I've been taking several pills twice a day for years, so I'm used to it. )
#34 of 44 Old 07-08-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadoula
I hear you on being paranoid, but all sorts of stuff makes your uterus contract, including orgasms! My midwife told me orgasms are good and give a good "rush of blood" to the baby, and also that RRL tea is fine. Totally respect that we all have to do what we are comfortable with too though!
Yup-- I'm sure it is good since it's in one of the most popular brands of prenatals! But, my rational side has no say in this matter 'cause of what happened to my sister . . .if anything bad happened while I took them, I could never forgive myself!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#35 of 44 Old 07-08-2006, 10:36 AM

I'm taking Maxi Pre-Natal by Country Life every other day. It's 6 pills a day! I'm also finishing off my multi-vitamin on the other days along with a calcium pill and folic acid.
#36 of 44 Old 07-09-2006, 12:06 PM

I'm having trouble finding a omega-3 supplement that seems like the right one--there were 5 shelves full of fish oil and omega-3's at Whole Foods today. Arghh. I searched for info on the "right" amount for preg. That seems up in the air. Can anyone share the amounts in their supplement that they like?

Don't know why this is such a big deal to me, but I feel hyper-vigilant about what I am eating now. Sort-of a protective mama-bear instinct.
-Elizabeth
#37 of 44 Old 07-09-2006, 01:06 PM

Elizabeth - The Nordic Naturals site recommends 300–600 mg of DHA daily while pregnant and breastfeeding. HTH.
#38 of 44 Old 07-09-2006, 02:25 PM

I don't think there's any really good evidence regarding the amount of omega3s or DHA specifically to use in pregnancy. EPA and DHA are really good for so many things, though, that just taking a couple grams of a high quality, concentrated (DHA-heavy for pregnancy, perhaps) fish oil, yielding about 50% omega 3s (that is, one gram has about 500mg of DHA/EPA) is probably a good way to go. That's my thinking, anyway.
#39 of 44 Old 07-09-2006, 03:32 PM

anyone take a cranberry supliment? i had a horrid bladder infection when i miscarried and the antibiotics didn't work, but the cranberry supliment did, in a day...i can't seem to find any info on it and if there are any dangers to pregnant women who take it so i'll throw it out there and see if anyone knows about it

i'd like to take one a day , or every other day to prevent it from comming back, but i wanna make sure its kosher, and of course my ob knows nothing about it
#40 of 44 Old 07-09-2006, 03:49 PM

I Googled cranberry and pregnancy, and one site said it was not recommended in amounts above food levels because there wasn't enough proof it's safe during pregnancy, but all the other sites said it was fine, because there's no proof or suggestion of harmful effects.

I'd go for it.
#41 of 44 Old 07-09-2006, 05:03 PM

Preg-natal that I am taking contains 250mg DHA. It also has 4mg of B6 and 50mg ginger - these were things I was going to buy separately but now am not since I don't want to over-do it! I am hoping maybe it can keep the MS away a bit longer.
I ususally treat any UTI I get with cranberry juice instead of antibiotics. I'll drink a whole large container of it over a two day period. Usually clears it right up! Try the juice straight for a day or two and see if that helps.

jo
#42 of 44 Old 07-09-2006, 09:42 PM

I take the cranberry extract pills for UTIs as well. I don't remember if your siggie said if you had any kidlets or not, but I've found that when I'm preggo & not menstruating I don't get UTIs. Other than one that seems to show up the same time I find out I'm pg. Finally I stopped using my keeper, and I quit tampons a long time ago -- no more UTIs! I think my body is just has a crazy low tolerance to bacteria and everytime I put something foreign in there... Never had a big problem w/ sex, though...perhaps bacteria is "washed away" with the *ahem* left behind fluid? TMI, I know...but I wanted to explain my sit. -- you may find that you don't need the maintenance cranberry pills after you've kicked any infection you have currently. And I'm sure you've heard all the stay away from too many carbs (white breads, pastas, starchy potatoes, etc.), sugars, sodas, nitrate-laden lunch meats...

Hope that helps...and doesn't gross anyone out!
#43 of 44 Old 07-10-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi
Arwyn,
I'm bipolar as well. Rapid-cycling, though I've gotten a break from it for the last few years (since DS was born). Pregnancy is a really bad time for me, though, mood-wise. I tried fish oil, but it's so... fishy! Do you know of any that aren't so fishy tasting?
Thanks!
I use flax seed oil which is less fishy, but very oily. I can't taste it in my smoothies though.
#44 of 44 Old 07-10-2006, 08:20 PM

I forgot to mention that for prenatals I take NataChew. They taste sort of good actually.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page