Prenatals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2006, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you taking prenatal vitamins?
If so, what kind?

I've been taking the Rainbow Light Complete Prenatals for the last few months. That's SIX pills a day!!! I'm happy if I remember the first three.

What about you?

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2006, 01:38 PM

I am on Maternal Symmetry by Vitanica. My ND prescribed it for me and had nothing but good things to say about their brand. It is still 6 pills/day like Rainbow Light but since I am still taking my Chinese herbs 3x/day I've been able to remember pretty well so far.

I took the RL 6/day with ds and one thing that helped me remember to take them all is that I got one of those vitamin organizers. I put 6 in for each day compartment and then it was a lot easier to keep track of how many I had taken that day just by looking at how many were left.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:16 PM

i'm just taking the "spring valley" prenatals from walmart this reminded me to take it today! lol...i had been taking them of and on after my m/c, not religiously, but i have been taking them every day since i found out!!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:56 PM

I'm taking Trader Joe's version of rainbow lights one a day. They are food based and not to big. I have to take them with foor or else i'll start feeling quesy so I have them with dinner.
They're 8.00 a bottle and I really like them. I've been taking them for over two years now.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:10 PM

I'm taking the Rainbow light one a day ones.

CPST & mom

Old 07-06-2006, 06:21 PM

I took prescription prenatal plus vits with my first preg. b/c they were easily processed and my co-pay was cheaper than buying OTC. I bought the walmart ones when nursing and was disgusted with how hard they are to digest, so switched to reg. multivitamins. But I'm taking the cheap ones now b/c they are what's in the house. Need to switch!

I want to look into the high-B vitamins that reduce M/S
Old 07-06-2006, 08:25 PM

those rainbow lite prenatals sound interesting...where do you get them? or are they perscription?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:30 PM

I take a half dose (three pills) of the Rainbow Light Prenatals in the morning, and a half dose (two pills) of New Chapter's Perfect Prenatals at night. I'm also taking 3 grams of fish oils, and cinnamon, twice a day and my thyroid. It's not as optimal as taking them more spaced out, but I figure it's better than not taking most of the pills.

I'm probably going to add cal/mag to the evening pills, because the NCs don't have much/any calcium or magnesium.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:32 PM

Rainbow Lights can be bought at most health food stores or online from places like papanature.com
Old 07-06-2006, 11:18 PM

I don't take prenatals. I can't stomach them when I'm pregnant; I tried with DS and DD, and it was a disaster. I'm actually taking children's chewable gummy vitamins, and a folic acid supplement. The chewables spend less time in my stomach, I think, so they don't make me so sick.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 07-07-2006, 12:27 AM

"I take a half dose (three pills) of the Rainbow Light Prenatals in the morning, and a half dose (two pills) of New Chapter's Perfect Prenatals at night"

What a good idea. I have been taking the NCPP (usually only 2) because they are so expensive and 2 give 100% folic acid but maybe I can swing by Trader Joe's on my next trip to NYC and pick up a less expensive one to mix in ... My main concerns have been nausea and constipation so was trying for a more 'bioavailable' vitamin.

Any thoughts on fish oil vs. the other oils (flax seed, etc)?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:31 AM

I always took the Solgar prenates. My sis is a nutritionist and she always recommends them.

p.s. Sorry for intruding in on your DDC - but a very special mama friend is here! s at Lotus!
Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 AM

I'm still taking a "regular" (albeit high potency) multi-vitamin. It has enough folic acid in it, and the midwife said to just stay on that until after any nausea subsides. Sounds good to me, because in the past too much iron has just made me . Eventually I'm going on the metagenics prenatal from the chiro.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:02 AM

I always wanted to try Rainbow LP, but I am paranoid-- doesn't it have red rasberry leaf extract in it??

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 07-07-2006, 03:08 AM

Elena - whats wrong with RRL? I thought it was good for pregnancy?

(i'm sitting here drinking a cup of RRL tea!)
Old 07-07-2006, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalena
Elena - whats wrong with RRL? I thought it was good for pregnancy?

(i'm sitting here drinking a cup of RRL tea!)
Some people think it is (for toning). . .but some people think it causes uterine contractions that should be avoided. My sister drank a TON of RRL tea with her 2nd pregnancy and then had her one and only miscarriage (out of 5 total pregnancies).

Yes, purely anecdotal, but I am paranoid!

Old 07-07-2006, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius
Some people think it is (for toning). . .but some people think it causes uterine contractions that should be avoided. My sister drank a TON of RRL tea with her 2nd pregnancy and then had her one and only miscarriage (out of 5 total pregnancies).

Yes, purely anecdotal, but I am paranoid!
I've heard both, but I think it's more that when you overdue it there can be problems. If it does in fact "tone" (i.e. exercise/strengthen) it would make sense that it would cause some small amount of contracting (the exercise).

Oh and back on topic, I'm taking the Rainbow light one a day's as well. I tried the 6/day's and couldn't choke them all down.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcents
p.s. Sorry for intruding in on your DDC - but a very special mama friend is here! s at Lotus!
Hi, GC! :

Old 07-07-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonamon
I've heard both, but I think it's more that when you overdue it there can be problems. If it does in fact "tone" (i.e. exercise/strengthen) it would make sense that it would cause some small amount of contracting (the exercise).

If I were seriously overdue, that's probably when I WOULD take it-- to start the contractions.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:39 AM

I hear you on being paranoid, but all sorts of stuff makes your uterus contract, including orgasms! My midwife told me orgasms are good and give a good "rush of blood" to the baby, and also that RRL tea is fine. Totally respect that we all have to do what we are comfortable with too though!
Old 07-07-2006, 11:49 AM

Here's a list of what I take. I take most of them after my breakfast. I can't take them on an empty stomach, and, unlike others, they make me sick if I take them before bed.

Prenatal: New Chapter (I take 2 pills, which is 1/2 a dose)
Plaquenil: This is the drug I take for my lupus. It's a little risky during pregnancy, but I'm down to 1/4 of a "regular" dose, and my symptoms are well controlled.
B6: I take this for my short luteal phase. I'm going to keep it up, because it's supposed to keep ms at bay.
B-complex: This complements the B6. It also brings my folic acid up to recommended levels.
Bone Density Factor: I take this "calcium+other stuff" because I broke my foot on May 1.
Calcium + magnesium: I take this instead of Bone Density Factor on days when I'm constipated.
B12: I throw one of these in the mix about every 4 days.
Cod Liver Oil: I take these not only for the Omega-3, but also to complement the calcium supplements with Vit. D.

About half of these supplements are Windmill brand (or related), because DH's cousin works for them. Sometimes when we visit, he gives us bottles of vitamins. For some reason, he gave us lots of B12 after I broke my foot (along with calcium). Not sure why, but that's basically why I'm taking it. (OK, just typing that in makes my reasoning look really dumb, but at least I'm honest.) It can't hurt, right? (B-vits are water-soluble)

One thing I've noticed since BFP, is that my post-vitamin urine isn't as yellow. I think this means that I'm absorbing more of the vitamins.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:15 PM

I take so much fish oil because I'm bipolar, and use it as a mood stabilizer (works great! better than Depakote, actually, with much better side effects). The trials that have been done on their use for mood all support EPA or DHA, the omega 3s in fish oil (plant sources have ALA, which our body converts to EPA or DHA, but it doesn't seem to work as well as taking in the straight stuff). DHA is particularly important for baby brain developement, and while ALA works well enough, DHA seems to work better, so I definitely recommend fish oils as a supplement over flax or other plant oils if there's not a moral/physical objection. (I know several vegetarians who take flax instead of fish, and my mom has a severe sea food/iodine allergy, so she obviously can't take it.)

I use cod liver oil sometimes, in addition to the high EPA fish oil I usually take, especially in the winter, for the vitamin D. I may add some back in now that I'm pregnant, although I also worry about the high A in CLO.

I was going to have started B6 along with vitex for a short LP "next" cycle, but, well, looks like I don't need it now. I did pick some up along with some ginger capsules because I'm flying today, and the darn nausea couldn't hold off one more darn day. Let's see if it actually helps...
Old 07-07-2006, 01:25 PM

I am all for the Omega-3 supplements, whatever way you can get them. It just seems like every study that come out says something good about Omega-3s - or eating fish (save for the problems with mercury). Everything from prenatal brain development to memory performance in the elderly.

Arwyn - I'm glad that you get relief for your mood disorder. I have a student with bipolar and I wish I could get her to take Omega-3s, (and eat better, in general). She has SUCH problems getting her meds balanced correctly.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:31 PM

I take the Rainbow Light one a day prenatals.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Arwyn,
I'm bipolar as well. Rapid-cycling, though I've gotten a break from it for the last few years (since DS was born). Pregnancy is a really bad time for me, though, mood-wise. I tried fish oil, but it's so... fishy! Do you know of any that aren't so fishy tasting?
Thanks!

Old 07-07-2006, 01:46 PM

I've been diagnosed with Bipolar II, rapid cycling, with mixed states - the category with the highest risk of suicide. Fun!

I use Country Life's Omega 3 Mood, and I've found that if I keep the capsules in the refrigerator at all times, right up until I take them, and take them with food, and use milk or juice rather than water to swallow them, neither the immediate taste nor the after effects are too bad. I think the most important things are buying high quality and keeping them cold so they don't go rancid (and because they're more aromatic when warm).
Old 07-07-2006, 02:02 PM

I take B6 and Fish Oil too. B6 for my short Luteal phase (i was between 8 and 9 days for the last 4 cycles) and fish oil because I heard it can keep PPD at bay.
I didn't have a drop of depression after my first birth, so it may work, and it may not.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:20 PM

For fish oil I'm taking ProDHA by Nordic Naturals. It comes in strawberry flavored gelcaps and I have never had a fishy burp from taking them. They are also heavy metal and PCB free which is always a good thing. I've heard the ProDHA is being replaced by their regular DHA formula but I'm still able to find the Pro version on a few websites. HTH.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:31 PM

Sorry to crash your due date club but

CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy LotusDebi!! Many many many sticky vibes to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 07-07-2006, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Sheacoby! Hope your pregnancy is going well!

Thank you all for your fish oil recommendations! I'll have to go shopping soon!

User Tag List