cramping after nursing... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-08-2006, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so upset, i think i'm going to have to stop b/f my 14mo! i've started to notice that after everytime i feed him i get crampy and a 'heavy' feeling almost in my uterus...my ob said as soon as i feel that to stop...anyone else dealing with this or have any ideas of things i could try to get it to stop, if at all possible?? i mean i'm only night nursing and nursing before naps, he pretty much self-weaned when i was pg a couple months ago...but i'm still not ready to stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-08-2006, 06:00 AM

OBs don't know diddly about lactation, so ignore that. (Doesn't mean s/he's necessarily wrong, just that s/he's speaking from ignorance.) Have you asked over in the breastfeeding forums? There are LOTS of women there who have breastfed throughout pregnancy (along with some who chose to wean because of pain or whose children decided to wean because of lack of/changes in milk). I'd also call your local LLL leader, maybe go to a meeting. You may decide to wean anyway, although 14 months is a little young for it, but you should definitely get better information before you make a decision.
#3 of 9 Old 07-08-2006, 10:30 AM

Aw hun, you must be so scared. <<<HUGS>>>

I agree to get some more info though. I would make LLL my first call.

Good luck!

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#4 of 9 Old 07-08-2006, 10:41 AM

Anxiously awaiting responses to this one! I am not even in your birth club but I am pg and nursing a 20 month old, and read my siggy. I've miscarried a twin! I have never heard of a relation between nursing and miscarriage, but I'm dying to know! Where are the experts?
#5 of 9 Old 07-08-2006, 12:18 PM

Your uterus is constantly cramping and contraction throughout pregnancy. Things like nursing and orgasm also cause it to contract. Its normal.

I nursed between pregnancies #1 & 2 and would get crampy feelings after nursing that went away... if the cramps aren't getting stronger and aren't accompanied by blood, it should be fine. Check out the book _Adventures in Tandem Nursing_ by Hillary Flowers. It addresses nursing during pregnanct. Maybe even do a google search on "nursing during pregnancy".
#6 of 9 Old 07-08-2006, 01:27 PM

I actually have that book (Adventures in Tandem Nursing) although I haven't seen that particular topic addressed. It's got to be in there somewhere though.
#7 of 9 Old 07-08-2006, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

k, well i put my little one to bed last night for the first time in his life w/out milkie and it was horrible! : i couldn't stand it so i made it up to him by nursing him this morning b/c i felt guilty...and i didn't cramp that time!! so i'm thinking that i'll just keep nursing him till i start to spot like ya'll have suggested
#8 of 9 Old 07-11-2006, 03:11 PM

this is happening to me, too. I'm not worried about it...check out Kellymom.com on the Nursing during Pregnancy/Tandem Nursing section...good info in there!
#9 of 9 Old 07-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Cramping here, too.

Yesterday, DS went 6 hours without nursing (very rare, but he went to the playground without me... sandboxes are one of the few things that win out over "mo-mo") and he had a marathon nursing session afterward. I cramped up for the next three hours... it got me worrying so I perused the kellymom site and started feeling better about it.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page