The HUNGRY WOMAN's thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 08-25-2006, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yummy. I just got this big smile on my face reading over everybodys choices. They all sound so good.

Last night I made crap dip. Well it is pretty much like making a recipe for a crap cake but without the egg in in. And then I put them on triscuts garden herb crackers. Sooooo good. I buy the little 6oz container of crab meat from Phillips, and I hide it, but SO found it, so I had to share. Which was not my intent. But at least he made the dip, so the least I could do was let him have a little w/ me.

And I love this chicken tortellini salad I make.

1 heart romaine lettuce
tomatoe, cubed
avocado
crumbled blue cheese ( yeah, I know no soft cheese, but most cheese made in america is made w/ pasturized milk, so I think I'm pretty safe)

chicken strips
tortellini

mix all together, add salt, pepper, some lemon juice on top and your favorite ceaser dressing.
#32 of 43 Old 08-25-2006, 11:00 AM

Bemommy - OMG! that gazpacho sounds amazing! I have to make a batch this weekend!

I've been eating blueberries like they are going out of style! And cheese, lot's of cheese!
#33 of 43 Old 08-25-2006, 02:05 PM

biscuits and gravy. Two days in a row for breakfast and it was delicous both days.

I'm going to make pizza crust today so we can have pizza two or three times in the next week, I fell a pizza craving coming back on.
#34 of 43 Old 08-25-2006, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

im still craving soups like crazy! whats with me and soups??!!!!

any soup recipes people???

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#35 of 43 Old 08-25-2006, 08:00 PM

ME TOO on the soups! My husband gives me a hard time because it's over 90 degrees outside here and I'm making broccoli cheese soup, chili, etc. Making potato soup soon. Made chicken and noodle soup earlier in this pregnancy because it was the only thing that sounded good. It was 101 that day. And it was DELICIOUS.

What kind of soup are you craving, mama? I'm chock full of them.

Ooh, maybe chicken tortilla soup?

Somebody stop me.

:
#36 of 43 Old 08-26-2006, 07:57 PM

I love soups when I am pregnant!! I think it has to do more with texture for me than anything else. In the first trimester I have a really hard time with textures and them making me sick so I think soup solves that for me. Plus it only gets tastier as the days go by

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#37 of 43 Old 08-28-2006, 03:17 PM

Some call it mexican lasagne, I call it enchilada casserole (enchilada makin's layered instead of rolled up--lazy woman's enchiladas!). DELICIOUS!! Even better reheated, which is how I'm eating it now. I'm so surprised it's not killing me with heartburn.

This baby likes it spicy! Ole!
#38 of 43 Old 08-28-2006, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTC

What kind of soup are you craving, mama? I'm chock full of them.

Ooh, maybe chicken tortilla soup?

Somebody stop me.

:
Ohhh I am crazy for chicken tortilla soup!!!! Do you make it? I would loooove the recipe!!!
I made a vegetable with meatballs soup the other day and really enjoyed it. I would like to get better in making the soups in one aspect though-mine always seem very...watery. Like not hearty enough. For me personally its not a problem because the liquid is what i love most anyway but I would just like to be able to cook a more hearty soup. And i dont like adding the cubes to it and all that...i want to keep it natural.

I would also like to know how to make a soup that has tomatoes as main ingridient. I feel like a vegetable tomato soup would do me good right now

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#39 of 43 Old 08-28-2006, 07:57 PM

I have to dig for my tortilla soup recipe...I got it off allrecipes.com. I like that site because you can read reivews from people who have made and modified the recipe. But I will get it.

As for veggie-tomato soup (btw, I cook like you do, the more natural the better...I get uppity about "having" to add sugar to cookie recipes. I'm a honey fanatic these days)...

Gather vegetables that tickle your pickle...I have celery, onions, garlic, cauliflower, carrots...frozen green beans, frozen peas, corn...whatever. Olive oil in a big pot, saute aromatics--onions, garlic, celery and spices. I like to use thyme and bay at least, sometimes a pinch of basil if I'm feeling saucy. Then I throw in chopped vegs, the ones that need to cook longer first or I just chop them smaller than the rest. Sautee until a little golden on the edges but not until cooked through. Splash of whorechestecshrire (I didn't even try to spell that right) if you like, splash of tabasco or the like if you want, healthy splash of wine if you want (though I wouldn't recommend wine and tabasco, but beer is good instead, too), let it reduce/cook down a minute or so. I usually do about a cup of chicken stock but it's still good if you don't want to add that. Then 3-4c tomatoes, I usually put in a quart jar full (I can my own) plus whatever I've got laying around that's about to turn. Bring to boil, reduce and simmer 10-15 mins until all is tender, adding S&P sometime during this whole cooking process...fresh parsely at the end if you have it, I never do.

VOILA!

I'm off to make something like that but adding hamburger for protein.

And yes, it is still hot here. SO WHAT?!

ETA: if you want something not so runny, before you start putting liquids in sprinkle a couple heaping tablespoons of flour in with your vegs and saute for a minute or two, then add in your liquids, it should thicken it up a bit. Make sure you have enough grease still in the pot, you might need to add a little oil, or, as I do, butta. But don't hard-boil it too long, watch that as soon as it boils, bring it down to a simmer, and stir it frequently, it should thicken up nicely for you. Oh--and if you added a soup-sized can of tomato sauce that would help to thicken it too. Or a big spoonful of tomato paste. Or before you eat it, a big spoonful of sour cream in your bowl.
#40 of 43 Old 08-31-2006, 09:15 PM

This is so not the organic, healthful, high nutrient food source that I would have liked, but the only things I can stomach lately are Beefaroni and pudding. Isn't that disgusting? I envy your cucumbers and tomatoes.
#41 of 43 Old 09-01-2006, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

MrsTC THANKS SO MUCH for the tips and the recipe!
I am copying and pasting and saving.I know I wont be able to try it till after next week though...

#42 of 43 Old 09-03-2006, 09:45 PM

Last time and this pregnancy too I crave peanuts (put in stir frys, on ice cream, with popcorn and raisins as a snack), grapefruits and spinach. Been loving a spinach salad with sliced mushrooms and hard boiled egg and maybe some peppers or tomatoes from the garden. I also made eggplant fritters last night which were great. I put eggplant, onion, beet greens in the cuisinart to grate them. Salted and let them weep for a bit -- squeeze out the extra water. Toss in 1-2 eggs and breadcrumbs. Can season with cumin or other herbs too, then fry in small pancakes. I made a plain yogurt, cumin and cilantro sauce. My 2 year old preferred dipping in ketchup. Good use of garden veggies, was pretty easy, and tasty. This is how I got my "fried" craving taken care of!!
#43 of 43 Old 09-04-2006, 03:39 PM

Early on, I was all about the carbs. We were vacationing in the US and I think I hit every Fazoli's and Olive Garden in about 5 different states. Plain spaghetti, butter and cheese--that's all I wanted. Then it was meat, specifically steaks, but they had to be fresh. It's amazing how many "good" restaurants over there use processed frozen meat--YUCK! I cried and cried wanting to come back "home" to Turkey where all the food is fresh. Now that we're back, my first craving was for McDonald's of all things!

I have been gorging myself on fresh fruits and veggies, plus all the Turkish food I can hold. One of my favorites is spinach salad:
Wash and dry spinach greens, tear into bite-size pieces.
Wash and peel a carrot, grate or slice as much or as little as you want into the salad, nibble the rest.
Wash and slice a tomato and add to the salad, or cut little grape tomatoes in half.
Add some feta cheese to taste--I like lots!
Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.

I also have oodles of homemade soup recipes--my dd and I love soup! On the list for this week is cream of mushroom and maybe potato.

Kate

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page