? re: transvaginal ultrasound - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 07-26-2006, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Of those of you who have had a transvaginal u/s, did you have any spotting afterward?

Had one yesterday, and I can't even call it spotting, or even staining, but I saw something on the tp. So, I used some tp to wipe up around my cervix and there was brownish blood. Obviously not fresh bleeding, but could this be from the u/s?

You might have read my other post and know that I am awaiting blood work results to know if I have a blighted ovum. And now I see this brown blood/discharge from around my cervix .... so, I'm wondering.

TIA,
Judi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-26-2006, 03:02 PM

I can't say for sure. I had the ultrasound because I was already bleeding.

However, I would that it could definitely cause spotting. If it's brown and you're not cramping I wouldn't worry too much. However, I always call my mw when I spot. They can't do anything except give advice but it makes me feel better.

I hope everything turns out well.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#3 of 10 Old 07-26-2006, 03:09 PM

I started with the same kind of spotting 2 weeks ago after my first ultrasound and it hasn't stopped. : I had my last one a week ago and it continues. At first, the doc recommended bedrest for 4 days. I did that and it initially stopped, but as soon as I was up, it started again. Same as you describe.

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. It's really rough.

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#4 of 10 Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 PM

I've had similar spotting this pregnancy so far off and on. I had it with my previous pregnancies too.
#5 of 10 Old 07-26-2006, 03:32 PM

Yep -- happened w/ me too. Stands to reason that those sound waves would loosen up any old blood in the area.
#6 of 10 Old 07-26-2006, 04:18 PM

I'm only at 8 weeks but because of my age (37) I've already had two TV ultrasounds. The first time, the doctor told me to expect some brown spotting, since the wand may press against the cervix pretty hard. I didnt' get any, but from what she told me, that is a common occurance.

Yesterday's ultrasound picture of Specklet looks like a mean little old lady staring out of an oval window. Of course it wasn't really Speck's face, probably his/her whole body, but you can see anything you want in an ultrasound, just like clouds.
#7 of 10 Old 07-26-2006, 06:28 PM

Yup, vaginal ultrasounds can cause spotting, as can any penetration (sexual intercourse, vaginal exams, etc). Not anything to be worried about under normal circumstances, although I can definitely understand your worry.
#8 of 10 Old 07-27-2006, 02:47 AM

I have heard that if a miscarriage is threatening that having an U/S can actually push it over into a miscarriage. So it might be best to avoid if spotting, just in case.
#9 of 10 Old 07-27-2006, 04:27 PM

I had my 1st vag. u/s last week Friday. I hadn't spotted for over 7 days , and I wasn't spotting before the u/s, but when I got home, and used the bathroom, there was pink on the tp when I wiped. There was enough of it that it was still there on the 3rd wipe. I didn't check the cervix for bleeding, I just laid down the rest of the day and It disappeared. Haven't had any since.
Tomorrow I have another u/s to determine if the sac is growing and if there is anything in it. (Last u/s the sac was tiny - since I was only just past 5weeks - and no yolk sac could be seen yet.) They are hoping to see a neural tube this time - and maybe even a heartbeat.

But yes, spotting is okay, as long as it doesn't get redder, more, or starts cramping a lot.
-Jodi
#10 of 10 Old 07-27-2006, 06:43 PM
jkg

Not yet, with this pg, but with my first. I had several transvaginal ultrasounds because of ovarian cysts, and every time, I spotted for a couple days afterwards.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page