Dopplers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-07-2006, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone here skipping them entirely?? Sometimes I feel like I need the reassurance of hearing that little "whoosh whoosh whoosh" of a tiny heartbeat, but on the other hand have mixed feelings about the safety of them.
#2 of 13 Old 10-07-2006, 09:54 PM

I skipped doppler and U/S with dd. My MW was able to hear her with the fetascope at 16 weeks, and that was around the time I could feel movement too. Even with that reassurance I was still pretty stressed, especially since having had a prior loss, but I'm just not sure enough about the safety of doppler to use it without a good reason. This time around, I skipped doppler at my 13 week appt, but did use it at my 16 week because I felt it was justified. My MW couldn't hear the hb with the fetascope, I had stopped feeling movement for a few days, and I had recently bruised my abdomen. So... we listened. I won't again, unless there is in my opinion another indication that it's needed. Just like any other technology, if the benefits outweigh the risks for you, then use it.
#3 of 13 Old 10-08-2006, 02:23 AM

I caved (only pressure was me wanting to hear the heartbeat!) at 13 weeks (heard the placenta only. ah well! ), but probably won't use it again until maybe labor, unless there's an indication like with the PP. Now that I feel movement I don't really feel the urge. And next time I probably won't cave early on, either - I was still a little too stuck in the "this isn't really happening, is it??" mindset (after loooong time planning and then pretty long time trying, actually being pregnant was a little... shocking. amazingly wonderful. but shocking.).

So - yes, I OK'd doppler, no I haven't heard the heartbeat yet (will have the apprentice try at the next appointment in a couple weeks), no I probably won't use it again, and yes, I'm ok with all that.
#4 of 13 Old 10-08-2006, 10:16 PM

I'm not using it either and we are totally fine with it. I can feel the baby moving now so obviously the heart is beating At my next MW appt she may try with a fetoscope - I'll be 18ish weeks but honestly, I can never hear it with a fetoscope but I don't have great hearing either.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#5 of 13 Old 10-09-2006, 02:32 AM

I rented a doppler from babybeat.com. I have anxiety and my husband works nights so I just get scared sometimes. It will be really nice to hear the beans heart beat (it hasnt arrived yet).
#6 of 13 Old 10-09-2006, 07:47 AM

The midwife used it at my 8 week appointment--before I knew enough about the controversies of using one...and, of course, didn't hear the heartbeat. She used one at my last visit (12 weeks) and did hear it, but I feel she left it going waaaaay too long (probably a good 5-10 minutes). I do want to hear the heartbeat again at my next appointment for reassurance, but I want her to limit it to hearing it for a minute, then turning it off.

We have an ordinary stethoscope here at home and I've been trying virtually everyday to hear the heartbeat with it, with no luck. Aren't you supposed to be able to hear it at 16 weeks with an ordinary stethoscope?
#7 of 13 Old 10-09-2006, 09:59 AM

We used it at our 12 (I think) week appt., but I don't plan to use it again until labor.

, but I'm so excited -- I have my first appt. with my new midwives at a birthcenter today!
#8 of 13 Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didkisa View Post
We have an ordinary stethoscope here at home and I've been trying virtually everyday to hear the heartbeat with it, with no luck. Aren't you supposed to be able to hear it at 16 weeks with an ordinary stethoscope?

No, maybe 20 weeks if you are on the thin side and just happen to get the right spot. We also have a stethoscope and DH would try some evenings even when I was further along, sometimes he would get it sometimes he wouldn't.

I guess I don't understand the need to heart the heartbeat once you can feel the baby moving. I can totally understand wanting to hear the heartbeat at 12-16 weeks for assurance but once you can feel the baby moving obviously the heart is beating When I was unable to hear the HB at the MW with the fetoscope she would ask if I wanted the doppler but I would tell her that I am getting kicked so obviously his/her heart is beating

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#9 of 13 Old 10-09-2006, 02:57 PM

YAY Carolynn! Let us know how that goes!

My midwife lends out fetoscopes at about 30 weeks (she can usually hear with a fetoscope at 20-24 weeks, and she's slightly hard-of-hearing, but she also has lots more experience). One of the reasons we chose her!

Keri - that's exactly how I feel too.

Funny/horrible story about using a stethoscope to pick up heartbeat - my mom had a very, um, off patient, whose psychiatrist sent her to my mom (family doc) because she was complaining about stomach pains. But, the woman protested, she couldn't be pregnant - her pants were tight, but she just dieted until they fit again, and when she hit her stomach the funny feelings stopped. So there was no need to do a pregnancy test, or use a fetoscope, so she refused both. My mom just smiled and nodded, and used a plain ol' stethoscope, and found both the placenta and the baby's heartbeat. She also likes to point out that stethoscopes were originally invented just so a doctor wouldn't have to put his ear on his patients' chests - they make listening easier, but they're just specialized conduits, not amplifiers (although fetoscopes you wear on your head have some bone conductivity, too - so you can literally feel the baby's heartbeat, and your skull helps conduct the vibrations to your ears better).

I have no idea what happened to the poor lady or her baby, though.
#10 of 13 Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 PM

Practitioners use dopplers/fetoscopes for documentation purposes. So they can prove that they audibly heard a heartbeat measuring X beats per minute on X day.

We did use one at my last visit (15 weeks), and heard the heartbeat, and we'll probably wait until labor or medical need to do it again.
#11 of 13 Old 10-09-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesispreggers View Post
I rented a doppler from babybeat.com. I have anxiety and my husband works nights so I just get scared sometimes. It will be really nice to hear the beans heart beat (it hasnt arrived yet).
Me too, right down tot he hubby working nights. It really helps me sleep because I have had miscarriages and I decided the benefit to my overall well-being is worth it for both me and the fetus.
#12 of 13 Old 10-09-2006, 11:53 PM

I was nervous at my last appointment because I still hadn't felt the baby so I asked her to check and we heard the hb (around 18 weeks). Once I can reliably feel the baby I skip the doppler for the rest of the pregnancy.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#13 of 13 Old 10-10-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
YAY Carolynn! Let us know how that goes!
Oh....It was beyond amazing.... They actually give out copies of Mothering magazine at their intake appt.!

I'll have to post a thread about it tonight after the goobers are in bed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page