TB test safe during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-12-2006, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I just got hired at a daycare today but I was told I need a TB test. However after a little research I'm a bit hesitant about getting it done. There seems to be no concrete evidence one way or the other on the safety of the test to an unborn child. However I think if I do not take the test I may lose my job.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 10-12-2006, 06:49 PM

I was required to have a TB test to student teach, and when I went to the clinic to have it done, they said I was low risk and didn't need to have it done. They asked a lot of questions like if I'd been out of the country and stuff like that (which I hadn't), and they gave me a certificate saying I did not meet the requirements for testing.

Hopefully you are low risk and don't have to have it done.
#3 of 6 Old 10-12-2006, 06:50 PM

I just went through the same thing. If you do a search for tuberculosis in the Vax forum, there are some good threads there.

The directors at the co-op preschool that I was supposed to get tested for told me that if I had a signed note from an OB (or in my case, my state-licensed CNM) saying that I wasn't going to be tested because I'm pregnant, that they would accept that. So I wrote on the bottom of the form that "[name] will not be taking the test due to current pregnancy", had my CNM sign it and as far as I know, it's all good.

Another option if they insist on testing you - there's a new blood test for TB. All you do is have a vial of blood drawn, nothing gets injected into you. It's called QuantiFERON Gold and it's approved by the FDA, CDC, etc., but it's pricier than the skin test and not available everywhere yet. My county Health Dept. just got it and plans to start with it soon, but the person I spoke with there said they might make exceptions for special cases and do it right away. I figured I'd submit my 'exemption' on the form and that should buy me enough time to pursue the blood test if needed. HTH.

PS Kristen - What state are you in?
#4 of 6 Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi paisley, thanks for all the great info! I called my employer and they told me if I just had a doctor's note stating that I wouldn't be taking the tb test until after my pregnancy then that would be fine! And I just spoke with my mom who is a nurse and she just recently had the tb test where your blood is drawn and she suggested I have that test done instead. I'm going to call the hospital where she works at to see if they take my insurance, if so I may go there and have it done.
My midwife had called me back and told me how the regular tb test was 100% safe and they recommend that all pregnant women get it done. She was not happy when I told her I wasn't so sure about that and asked for proof of the articles I read stating that they may not be safe.
Anyway, at least now I'm more informed about this and I don't have to give up the job I just got hired for!
Oh and I'm in IL.

Thanks again!
#5 of 6 Old 10-13-2006, 02:10 AM

You're welcome. I love it when my random knowledge can help someone else!

Before you check with the hospital, check with your local Health Department. When I called mine, they were talking about how it was a more expensive test - but they meant more expensive to them not me. The impression I got was that they were obligated to offer it for free. I figure it's worth a shot, ha ha , to ask.

I'm in CA. I read through our state laws and there is no exemption for the TB test like there is for regular vaxes and we seem to be pretty liberal about that sort of thing. But if you are craving a nice helping of legalese, a little stroll through your state code might provide you with another way out.
#6 of 6 Old 10-13-2006, 02:30 AM

Oh geez, I was just required to do a TB test BECAUSE I'm pregnant. Weird, huh? Should I be scared about possible risks here? It was a subdermal (sp?) injection and will be "read" tomorrow.

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page