#31 of 43 Old 10-29-2006, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
That seals it. Must visit Ikea.

It's only 2.5 hours away...
Ikea - It's the short birch one for $40 in the 3rd row. Click on that and use the drop down to select the taller version in the color you want. You can even do a stock check at the store before you go.
#32 of 43 Old 10-29-2006, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisley View Post
Well thanks to those mainstream sites, I've narrowed it down to this, this, and this that I just can't live without for our new baby.

:Puke

oh.my.God.
But the baby robot is so happy with the bottle robot!!!! Awww, they are so cute together.

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#33 of 43 Old 10-29-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Well thanks to those mainstream sites, I've narrowed it down to this, this, and this that I just can't live without for our new baby.
WOW!

partners.gif = angel2.gifloveeyes.gif & shy.gif
#34 of 43 Old 10-29-2006, 11:52 AM

You know I kinda wish they would invent something like that pacifeeder thing for breastfeeders. I am thinking for like car rides. My youngests hated the car with passion, the only time she was ever happy was when I was bent over her, very uncomfortable, nursing her. It wasn't safe either since it is impossible for me to buckle at that point. And what would have happened if we were in an accident where I was slammed into her? But to hook something up to your breast and have it go by long tube to something in your babies mouth? Would that help? Neither one of mine would stand a paci in thier mouth so really I don't know, but I am thinking it would still be slightly warm milk and they might settle down for it.
#35 of 43 Old 10-29-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxceleste View Post
Well this is my first and I'll be completely honest- I have absolutely NO CLUE what I need. No idea whatsoever. I've been spending so much time trying to get my house in some kind of order that I haven't even THOUGHT about it, much less made a list. DP's been snooping the baby aisles of stores, and gets hella excited at all the "cute" things, so I think I'm just going to leave it up to him to go out and go splurge shopping. What he comes home with is what we end up with. I'm sure I'll feel more like listing and shopping when I don't feel like poo all the time. But for now the only things I can think of are slings and a car seat. Ooooooh and a rocker. That'd be REALLY nice... One of those ones with the swinging footstool so my feet can rock too!!!

Grrr...
I'm in the same boat! Also, since we're planning to move from one coast to the other about three months after the baby's born, I sure don't wanna move a bunch of crap!! All I want are the bare necessities: cloth diapers, clothes, car seat and a sling or two...think I can get away with that small of a list?

Still in Portland and went to Saturday Market yesterday...bought my first sling--made by a local lady, and I really like it. Also bought the cutest little unisex tie-dye overalls! Spent too much money, I'm sure, but I'm planning to use them as a pattern to make more, so, that's how I justify the extra money spent! The rest of the clothes I plan to get second-hand somehow.
#36 of 43 Old 10-29-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:

:Puke

OK, guess I need to wake up here...took me awhile to realize you were kidding! I was beginning to wonder...and worry! But when I saw that stupid pacifier bottle thing, it dawned on me (oh, and the winking and vomiting smilies helped, too! ). What are people thinking?!?

Reminds me, my step-dad says I "can't live" without a Bumbo...anyone have any experience with these? He's so sure I'll need it that he told me he'll buy it himself! (fine with me, I suppose...)
#37 of 43 Old 10-29-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnJW View Post
You know I kinda wish they would invent something like that pacifeeder thing for breastfeeders. I am thinking for like car rides. My youngests hated the car with passion, the only time she was ever happy was when I was bent over her, very uncomfortable, nursing her. It wasn't safe either since it is impossible for me to buckle at that point. And what would have happened if we were in an accident where I was slammed into her? But to hook something up to your breast and have it go by long tube to something in your babies mouth? Would that help? Neither one of mine would stand a paci in thier mouth so really I don't know, but I am thinking it would still be slightly warm milk and they might settle down for it.
Now THAT would be a useful invention!!! It'd have to have a long enough tube to reach from the front to back seats, because DH doesn't drive!

I'm sure not many of you used pacifiers, but we did. My dd couldn't keep one in her mouth by herself until she was like 3 months old, and it was a while after that before she could put it in her mouth. so how does that pacifeeder make it easier for bottle feeders?

RE: bumbos. We lived without one just fine. I've heard lots of stories about babies thinking it's just a perfect place to have a blow out poop! HAHA! Anyway, it concerns me a bit to sit up a child before their body is ready to support them - there's a reason they can't sit up yet, I'd worry about damaging the spine.

-Sarah : mom to DD (4/05) : and DS (3/07) : Urban homesteading in Eastern Iowa
and : for a new little one in 2010!
#38 of 43 Old 10-29-2006, 04:45 PM

Dang, Colleen, you shoulda told me! I love the Saturday Market.

Did you get the sling from Tanya? She sells a podegi-like thing she calls a My BeiBei, and also hemp/cotton ring slings. I love her. (And she has the cutest organic cotton onesies, "I'd rather be nursing" with a mandela made of pairs of breasts We bought a couple of those!)

And they have some of the best tie-dye there. There are at least a couple places that do tie-dye baby stuff. Hippie parents paradise!

And yes, I think for the first few months you can "get away with" that small a list. That's all that's really needed, anyway. The rest of it can be nice, or it can be junk, but it's not really necessary.

Re: bumbo - these are pretty controversial. Most of the threads about 'em in LWAB go up in flames. There are concerns about the position of the hips - the legs rotate unnaturally in them, in a way that makes chiropractors and some physical therapists cringe. Plus, they encourage sitting before babies are developmentally ready, but without the responsiveness of an adult holding them. Some babies will bend over backwards and "pop" out, too. Now, all that said, it's like any other "baby containment device" - it can be OK to use for a few minutes for a couple months if the baby likes it and it gives you a chance to run to the pot or whatever else you need to do, and some totally AP parents use 'em as booster seats when going out to eat. Things like bouncyseats are arguably more developmentally appropriate, but none of those things are as good as being held, and probably not as good as being on the floor or a bed if the baby is happy with that. And used minimally, I don't think any of them are evil.

Personally, I think they're a fad, and the "you have to have this!" will fade with time, and if the bumbo doesn't disappear entirely, it'll become just one more piece of baby gear we don't really need but can be useful sometimes.
#39 of 43 Old 10-29-2006, 08:33 PM

A big wool blanket - such a genius idea!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

(okay I am a few messages behind in answering this thread but it's such a great idea I couldn't help respond!)
#40 of 43 Old 10-30-2006, 11:13 AM

Gottt chime in with another WOW, A WOOL BLANKET comment!

I've been pricing wool mattress pads, because I'm so sweaty at night and I think a layer of wool would make me more comfortable. They cost a fortune. But I have old wool army blankets sitting around doing nothing!

As far as the original thread goes, the only things I couldnt live without are a good cloth diaper stash, a carseat, and a few good soft carriers and slings. A couple extra pillows and some Lansinoh, some cotton t-shirts, a good wool bunting, and an arsenal of flannel receiving blankers would round out my "essentials."

That said, I have a truckload of baby gear junk, all of which was gifts or handed down, and some of it I think came in handy sometimes. Most of it was a monumental waste of money, though.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#41 of 43 Old 10-30-2006, 01:10 PM

Old wool blankets - wouldn't you need to be sure to re-lanolinize them?

EC'ers - chinese babies (except those whose families are wealthy enough to afford laundry facilties) generally just wear split-crotch pants and they learn a sign to give their parents when they need to pee/poop (which they do on the sidewalk). Anybody want me to price the pants at the children's market? I've *heard* they are 4rmb, which is $.50. They seem like a good way to keep the baby's legs warm, while having easy fanny access. They are like regular pajama bottoms or knit pants, but split from a few inches below the waistband front to back.

I RETRACT my swing remark - obviously some babies love them . Robin dug her bouncy seat and johnny jump up in small doses - long enough to shower (no shaving, and I'd nurse her down before hopping in) and cook dinner - most days.

For first timers, I SECOND waiting on the high chair and stroller. We never used a stroller until DD outgrew the mayawrap (well, refused to stay in it anymore, she's still small enough) - and what I picked when she was a newborn is not what I'd pick now that I actually use it. Ditto the high chair -we took a pretty family hand-me-down wooden one - which DD wouldn't stay in and it had no safety belt and i never felt like I could get it really clean. SIL has a nice big, plastic one that I scoffed at for being so...plastic. But it has a huge tray and made the perfect place for fingerpainting and marker coloring when my neice got over 1 year - and I was jealous, with my unsafe, hard to clean, uncomfortable wooden one.
#42 of 43 Old 10-30-2006, 01:19 PM

We haven't actually eced in a cold climate yet, we were just in Hawaii, but the pants seem like too much hassle to me. Layla was either in a t shirt, a gown, or nothing. This time around we are planning on gowns or t shirts with our made by a friend baby legs. Has anyone used the pants? It may just be that Layla was already used to not having to deal with it, but when we moved here, I tried to split leg, okay, cut out the crotch, of her pjs, and she got really mad in the middle of the night and peed all over them anyway. believe me it was a big enough hole. I am also planning on knitting some leggings. If I get talented enough I will probably be making like baby knee high socks, wish me luck, I haven't made it to sock knitting yet
#43 of 43 Old 10-30-2006, 03:41 PM

When my Leila was little she'd wear a gown and either nothing or a snappi'd prefold. I had some EC pants from MamaRoo (a WAHM in the US - more expensive than the chinese ones, but I felt good about supporting a WAHM). Never used them. they were too wide for my skinny minnie.

As Leila got older we did pants and just removed them for pottying. It was never any big deal. We used diaper backup anyway, and she's been on a pee strike since 13 months (she's now 18 months), but we still just pull them down and pull them up for pottying.

-Sarah : mom to DD (4/05) : and DS (3/07) : Urban homesteading in Eastern Iowa
and : for a new little one in 2010!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page