Name Check In - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2006, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas! How is everyone feeling? We're about halfway through now and I am just wondering if anyone has strong name choices by now. I seem to vacillate at least weekly. Hope to find out the bean's sex next week to help me narrow down my choices. THIS week I like:

Rosa
Sophie

Hayes
Silas
Ben

Laurie wash.gif (44), wife to DH thumb.gif(60), mama to DS guitar.gif (18), DS reading.gif(6), DSD heartbeat.gif(15), and DD (4)jog.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 08:20 PM

For a boy we have picked: Roan Angus John and for a girl we have picked Isla Isadora Brigid.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 PM

We - strangely enough - settled on names very quickly. We started off by making "short lists", checking them against the SS list of "Top 1000" names to make sure they weren't too popular...then they had to pass DH's "teacher" test. you know, "Ugh, not Joel. I had a Joel last year and he was..well...it can't be Joel." :-)

We are keeping our chosen name to ourselves until he is born, though. In case it doesn't suit him once we're "introduced" :-)

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 11-06-2006, 08:31 PM

I'm with Karen on this one.

We're not telling for that reason, and for the reason that we don't want the criticism and unsolicited advice that our family members are SURE to offer.

But the boy name has been settled from the beginning, it's an Irish name and a very close friend's middle name (meanings of each are also considered.) DP is Irish.

The girl name is Portuguese (like me) and DP's mother's middle name (which really isn't anything special-meaning.

I'm actually still pushing for my grandmother's first name as the middle name of dd, but he doesn't like it ... Even though it's SOOOOO close to his mom's middle name!!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:39 PM

Evolving Mama, I love the name Sophie--was our second choice for a girl (and actually my firstborn was going to be Sophia if he had been a girl)--but he is a Ben!

we are having a girl--Elise Samantha!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:30 PM

We're either having:

Gideon James (he'll be a Jr.)
OR
Anna-Belle Opal

We've had these picked out since before we were married!! LOL!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:06 PM

A week before I knew this one was coming the name Magdalyn Audrey popped into my head. I remember thinking 'what a lovely name. I think that is what my next girl is going to be named.' Then I found out I was expecting and have often wondered since then if I am having a girl and she told me then?
If it's a boy, Oliver Marshal. I have been tossing around other boy names, but keep coming back to this one.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:58 AM

We find out in two weeks what we are having hopefully and we've decided that if its a girl
Lelaina ?
and if its a boy
Lucien Kai

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Old 11-07-2006, 02:33 AM

Not much progress over here. Dh is stuck on Penelope, which I guess is better that last month's Gretel (gingerbread, anyone?), but still not quite what I had in mind. Maybe this is the real reason humans have 9 month gestation periods.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:38 AM

If it's a girl, she'll be Kathleen Lily after my grandmother (her birthday was the same day as our edd) - and nicknamed Kaye, Kate, or Kaia.

If it's a boy.... well, don't know. I have a list about 25 names long. We won't name the baby for certain until it arrives anyway. I just feel like it's our last chance to use our girl name, that's why we've decided on that one. My top five are: Alesar (al-AY-sar), Elyas (ellie-OS), Eamon (AY-mon), Liam, and Gideon. DH is Arab, hence the Arabic names.

-Sarah : mom to DD (4/05) : and DS (3/07) : Urban homesteading in Eastern Iowa
and : for a new little one in 2010!
Old 11-07-2006, 03:22 AM

We have decided on Emily Grace for a girl and Cory Michael for a boy.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:38 AM

I'm thinking Frieda Marie for a girl. Boy name? I have no idea!

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)
Old 11-07-2006, 10:57 AM

We're pretty certain about the gender of these babies, so we've already named them. The baby on my left is James Roy, and the baby on my right is Rachel Ellen. Roy and Ellen are DH's grandparents' names.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 AM

I have to say that I really love the name Penelope. I had a good friend in High School and college named Penny. But here's to hoping that you and your DH can find something you both like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisley View Post
Not much progress over here. Dh is stuck on Penelope, which I guess is better that last month's Gretel (gingerbread, anyone?), but still not quite what I had in mind. Maybe this is the real reason humans have 9 month gestation periods.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
Old 11-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

The names I've got in my head now are:

Isabella Harriet (Harriet after my grandmother)
and
Noah (no middle picked)

My DH doesn't like Noah, but so far it's the *only* boy name I've cared for. My 3 yr old DS picked it! And I did like Hattie Cathryn for a girl but something keeps telling me Isabella. I dunno. Neither of these are set in stone.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMama092485 View Post
We have decided on Emily Grace for a girl and Cory Michael for a boy.

I have a Cory James that is 13 - he always wanted his name to be Michael

We are pretty set on Mitchell Frederick & Julia - not positive on the middle name but probably Joy - DHs Grandma Joyce died last week

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 11-07-2006, 01:47 PM

We finally talked about names for 10 minutes in a taxi last night...and I think we agreed on a boy name:
Eyler Noordermeer, who will be called Eli.

girl name, no clue. I feel VERY drawn to Natalie for some reason. But all of Robin's names have meaning, and Eli's would too - Natalie is just a name I love.

Also, i like Noah and Nina, but DH says no to both - b/c of people we know.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:18 PM

Our little boy will be Liam (after his papa William, who is the third) with middle name either Patrick or Joseph (family names)...
My husbands family is Scottish and our last name is so it sounds pretty good!
Old 11-07-2006, 04:43 PM

We're having a girl and we've decided on her name. Not telling until she's born though!
Old 11-07-2006, 04:51 PM

I'll preface by saying using a Spanish second name is a very deliberate decision on our parts (DH is Hispanic). We also have very specific requirements with regards to meaning etc.

Right now we have:

Alasdair Diego

or

Vivienne Alejandra

(and we know what we're having but we're not telling!)
Old 11-07-2006, 06:16 PM

Our little girl will probably be:

Adeline Laura

And we can call her Addie for short. Laura was my sister - she passed away last December.

Melanie
Old 11-08-2006, 09:07 PM

We are having a girl and her name will be Georgia Ann. I have always loved Georgia and since this is probably the last little one I am going to use it. I can't wait to see her and call her by her name.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
Old 11-08-2006, 09:42 PM

Well, I wasn't going to tell either the gender or the name, but since DH has told absolutely everyone we know, I suppose I can spill it here. He is supposedly a boy, so his name will be Ahmet Mazhar. Dh's father was Ahmet (Turkish/Arabic for "most highly praised" and the given name of the Prophet Mohammed). His maternal great-grandfather was Mazhar ("most fortunate one"). Interestingly, both of these men were physician/surgeons, founded hospitals, schools of medicine, and wrote medical textbooks. I wonder if DH has a plan in mind for this baby? LMAO . . . .

If he turns out to be a she, I just don't know. I don't like a lot of female Turkish names, and the few that I do, DH doesn't care for.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:28 AM

We are naming our little girl Olivia Faith.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:08 PM

If it's a...

boy: Alexander Michael

girl: Serena Marie

Alexander Michael has been chosen for years. Serena Marie is more recent, and subject to change if it really doesn't fit her... Though, it takes us forever to agree on a name, so I hope she tells us what to replace Serena with if Serena's not right.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:43 PM

Well my girl name is going to be useless, lol, but apparantly baby bean liked the type/sound of the name. I was calling him Isabella or "Izzy" sometimes -- a couple days ago my midwife commented out of the blue that she liked Isaac -- my first thought was no as I knew someone by that name (but couldn't remember who ).

As I lay awake hour after hour last night his name finally came to me -- and it was Isaac! The person I knew was a friend of a friend who I won't ever see again, so no big deal there. And I think it sounds "right" with the other boy names, even though it isn't Scottish/Celtic like the others. Most importantly, he likes it & I was at peace & finally able to go to sleep.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:43 PM

No names set in stone yet...but it'll have to start with an H.
Our girls names (that we already have) are Hailey Kate (Hailey was my great grandmothers maiden name, Kate is my grandmothers name...ggm had no one named after her yet, but lots named after ggf, my gm had breast cancer at the time, and I wanted to make sure someone was named after her.) Next is Hannah Nicole (who was McKenzie Ann up until a week before she was born. Then it was Hannah Marie until she was born and it just didn't seem right). And then Heidi Kiersten.

As for this baby....I had a dream of Hope Meredith, but I don't really like it. Or Helaina, or Hosanna Joy...but, we just don't seem to really be drawn to any of them. For a boy....maybe Heath Isaiah, or Holden Seth...and I like the name Hans also. Who knows...it may even take us a few days after the birth to figure it out.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:02 PM

I'm having a girl and we've had the first name picked for a while.

Paige Tigerlily

DH picked the first name (he's always liked that name) and I let the other kids pick the middle name. I posted on the middle name here before because at first I wasn't sure about it, but it has stuck and grown on me and now I love it.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:01 AM

Becca, My 17 month old is an Eli and I adore his name, its my fvorite of all my boys names....
Well I was expecting this baby to be a boy, and his name was "Ty *******", surprise it's a girl!!! So now I'm back at square one...not that I'm complaining!

Heres my list so far, I need to look through a name book because I'm not finding the "That's it!" name yet, although Nora is close.
Lily
Holly
Brooke
Nora
Old 11-13-2006, 06:53 PM

We FINALLY have a name. According to the u/s we are having girl #3 . I told DH I get to decide because he picked #2 on his own . . .wouldn't budge. So, after much debate, I finally realized that I'd stick with a name I've loved all along. I'm only telling immediate family, though, because I get sick of hearing the - reactions from people IRL. Even with my family, I was hesitant but too excited to not tell.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

User Tag List