Mothering Forum banner

cd mams what do you plan on using?

816 views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  paisley 
#1 ·
I dont know what I want to use for the new baby....we probably have enough dipes already but now that were having a girl I'd like a few girly dipes. I figure she can wear the boyish dipes here at home and wear the pretty girly ones while were out and about.
Anyone try the swaddlebees aio? It looks nice, but I havent tried one out.
Any suggestions for ai2's?
I have 24 preemie prefolds 12 infant and a few covers, wool, 18 peewell fitteds, 18 contours, 2 aio's, 6 preemie fb's, 12 small fb's and a few other fitted dipes from wahm's.
I know I probably have enough already but all of these dipes are "boyish" and theres not a pink or purple one in the lot....
Jackie

#3 ·
I haven't tried them, but I've felt them and they feel so soft! They're on my list of things the grandparents can buy for baby (if they ever ask for the list...)

I'm using used diapers - my son's old Fuzzi Bunz, some dipes a friend is lending me, and a ton I bought off the Trading Post. I have a nice variety - fitteds for newborns and smalls, and AIOs/ pockets for mediums and larges.

#4 ·
I have two old-style Swaddlebees pockets, but I haven't tried any of the other Swaddlebees. They're kinda out of our price range, esp. for a newborn.

I've got a decent stash from DD, but with twins we needed more, and we needed stuff that would be more convenient to use. With DD I used all prefolds until she was ready for mediums, but with two and maybe even three in dipes (DD's PLing is not going well) I want it to be easier.

So right now I have 24 newborn prefolds, 24 infant prefolds, and 12 Sandy's x-small fitteds. Then I have a whole variety of covers in nylon and PUL (I had a sampler pack with DD), a bunch of handknit wool, plus four new Motherease airflows in x-small. It works out to be 13 covers. I'm figuring this'll be enough, and the 12 fitteds will save my sanity in tough moments. Actually, I've asked for 10 AIOs too, as gifts, and we'll see whether my mom buys them.

Once they're out of newborn sizes, have some small covers but I'll need more, and I'll probably get some ME one-sizes and some Fuzzi Bunz. DD's medium FBs are totally beat, I don't think they'll last five more washes without falling apart, so we'll need more of those. And down the line, more premium prefolds.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessed with boys View Post
I know I probably have enough already but all of these dipes are "boyish" and theres not a pink or purple one in the lot....
Jackie
ROFL, just so you are warned, my daughter refused to wear anything but blue diapers and the bug ones (we use fb) as soon as she could exert her will

#7 ·
Ahem...
:

So far I have:

6 custom NB Muttaqins w/ OV inners
6 NB OV Swaddlebees fitteds
8 NB/SM Kindhearted Women fitteds
12 Misc. fitteds - 1 FLAM, 1 FCB 0, 3 Soggy Bottom Baby, 1 Blackbird Lane, 3 KL 0, and a couple I made

12 Preemie IPFs (dyed)
12 Regular IPFs (thinking about dying or embellishing these)
Pins and snappis

2 XS Firefly wool covers
1 NB Loveybums wool cover
1 NB LC dip-dyed wool cover
2 knitted wool soakers in progress (
they have been 'in progress' for months)
2 SM Firefly wool covers
2 SM trim cut KPs
1 SM cashmere full cut KP
3 SM SugarPeas wool
1 SM Elbee night weight Wooly Bully
And my friend just stopped by with 2 pairs of newborn knit wool shorts, a NB cashmere pull-on and a pair of NB longies.

I want to get another dozen or two infant IPFs, some XS organic ME Sandy's, and maybe some more newborn covers. All my friends know to check with me first before selling their wool or fitteds.

There's also the small/medium fitteds and wool covers.

What can I say? We were TTC for a while and I needed something to keep me entertained.

#8 ·
Sorry, but all these abbreviations make me feel like you're all speaking a foreign language!
I know AIO means all in one, but that's about it...and forget about me knowing all these "brand" names. Guess I have some research to do...

This has been something I've been wanting to start a thread on...actually, a poll, to see what type is most favored by the mamas on here (who've done this before...I feel so green!).

All I have so far is about 18 organic cotton prefolds and I have no idea what size they are yet. I got them from my dad at my baby shower and didn't study them (had to mail them to me...no room in my suitcases, and haven't received them yet). I know I need to get covers and I've read that wool are the best, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on those.

Was thinking maybe getting a couple of each kind of CD that look promising to me and going from there. So many choices out there! It's daunting!

#9 ·
We have about 3 dozen (minus a couple that have been lost) DSQ prefolds in infant size - I just put them away last month after 18 months of use! I am systematically replacing all my covers though. With dd I used Bummi SWW, and proraps. I'm switching to fleece and wool (homemade) with snap closure because I hated velcro! We do have 8 or so medium FB (we use them as wraps instead of pockets) which my dd is still using, and probably will until she's fully potty self-sufficient (we also do EC). I have 5 Kushies AIOs in medium that I like for spare stash in car or diaper bag. Probably won't buy anything else except a few wool sweaters to felt and convert to diaper covers (as I don't knit well, and my crochet ones didn't hold up as well as I'd hoped)!

#10 ·
I refuse to get caught up in all the hyena hype this time around. I've just spent waaaaaaaaay too much time and money in the past... And now I've sold or passed on much of what I had already.

So...

I have some old SnugToFit fitteds (12) that will get pulled out. Nothing fancy, just workhorses!

I've been making some soakers to go with them too.

I have all of Ds' old FuzziBunz, but I don't think they will last. After a solid year and a half of use they're shot. So I need a new stash of those.

Mostly everything I have is mediums, with a few larges. The large AIOs will just get washed and stored, but I actually expect baby to be in mediums fairly quickly. We started CDing with Ds at about 2.5 months and he was solidly in mediums. So I think I only need a handful of smalls. I'm expecting nothing less than 9lbs for a birthweight, so I guess it's a fair assumption!

#11 ·
I have 2 dozen Kissaluvs 0, 2 dozen infant prefolds, 3 small FB, a half dozen wrap covers, a couple fleece covers, and a couple of wool covers. I just finished knitting a small soaker, but it still looks really big. Hopefully, I'll get some yarn for Christmas so I can knit a newborn soaker or two.

I used that stash with Jack until he was 4 months old and went right to medium FB, regular prefolds, and Muttaquin OS. And I'll need to replace most of our medium stash because after 2 years, they are shot. I'm jumping for joy that he's been using the toilet for the past month so I don't have to replace them before the baby comes.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by didkisa View Post
I know I need to get covers and I've read that wool are the best, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on those.
I would definitely get a few different ones - try the most popular brands - and see what you think when the baby comes. Lots of people love wool, but I hated it. Lots of people love Fuzzy Bunz (including me when DD was in smalls) - but my DD's thighs were too skinny. Mama2Leila hates velcro, but I hated snaps for overnight dipes (felt it was too stimulating to close them). Lots of people love cute diapers - I'd rather buy the baby plain dipes and cute clothes! it's a personal journey, this diaper buying! I like some pockets but mostly Bummis covers and prefolds.

I plan to buy a few more Bummis SWW covers in small, maybe 2-3 more mediums too. If I see some Wonderoos on Ebay, I might snatch them up (they are one-size fits all pocket dipes, did better than FBs for my skinny-legged girl). I also might try to find have some smaller CPFs (Chinese pre-folds - thicker than the DSQ prefolds) made - if I can find someone at the fabric market who doesn't think I'm crazy for cloth diapering.

My medium stash is in rough shape, since DD used it from 6 months to potty learning at 23 months. And I don't really have any larges...except some random consignment-sale finds.

#13 ·
I sold off all my newborn/small stash after #4 thinking she was our last

We have quite a few medium & large FuzziBunz left over but nothing small at all

This is what I have so far in the newborn/small sizes:

Fitteds All are used off TP or Ebay except the Swaddlebees
6 Muttaqins
3 Loveybums
3 Rightous Baby
3 Swaddlebees
3 Patchwork Pixies
2 Firefly's
2 Kissaluvs
2 Sugarpeas
1 Krunchies
1 Krunchy Kids (I think)

Everything else is used unless otherwise stated.

2 Lucy's Hope Chest AOIs
1 Very Baby AIO
1 Poppy Pants AIO - new

18 Unbleached CPFs - 12 used, 6 new
12 Unbleached IPFs - used
2 Snappi's

Covers
3 Proraps
4 Bumpy's
3 Fleece SugarPeas - 1 new
2 Wool SugarPeas - 1 new
1 Wool Apalachian - new
1 Wool Firefly
1 Bummi's frog cover
1 Mama made cover - PUL - new

1 FuzziBunz

I am currently on the prowl for fleece topped doublers so if anyone has any that they love let me know

Keri

#14 ·
I have 17 chinese prefolds for the newbie, and then I have snap to fits on DD right now that they may have to share. Hoping to get some more. Then there are some AIOs (5) that should fit two to five mo. I have been ecing DD (half the time successfully) from week one, and want to do the same with the next. Even if I am missing some bathroom trips, it sure cuts down on dipe washing!

#15 ·
I have a mixed bag. I've never cloth diapered a newborn before so I have no idea what will work! I have mostly Fuzzi Bunz because I've liked using them on my ds. I also have some chinese prefolds and handknitted (by me!) wool covers. I have a few Happy Heinys, Ummmm, lots of different styles of diapers and covers - I bought a diaper lot here on the Trading Post. I'm really excited to try everything out and see what works!

#16 ·
Since I'm only visiting the US for two weeks and then have to return to cloth-diaper-less land, I just ordered the easiest package I could find online. I got a slew of pre-folds--4 dozen infant size and 3 dozen larger (up to 30#), plus 18 wraps (6 each NB, SM, MD), and 3 sets of cloth wipes. Had them delivered to a friend's house, all for the low low price of $300. DH wanted to see the math on CD vs Disps, since $300 seemed like such a huge outlay all at once, and I showed him how it would take about 4 months to go through $300 in disposables. I pity the person at the airport who has to go through my suitcase of cloth diapers, birth kit supplies, and baby clothes. LOL . . .

#17 ·
We love our Mother-Ease diapers (one size) and covers. Both ds's have used them and we're having another boy, so the cover design won't be an issue. We got some super-cute small covers last time, with themes - wetland, savanna, forest, etc. I think they have some girly ones too.

I had AIO's for ds #1 when he was little and I never liked them. Too leaky. I've never tried prefolds, and probably never will since we have lots of the M-E and love 'em.

Tricia

#18 ·
I've been buying dipes off Craig's List. So far, I have 20 newborn DSQ prefolds (which the seller bought from the local diaper service), 6 infant sized prefolds, 3 small FuzziBunz, 1 small BumGenius pocket, and 3 organic fitteds with doublers (can't remember the "brand" - they're WAHM made). For covers, I bought a "sampler" pack off Craig's List: 1 prowrap, 1 Nikki's, an older Bummis (not SWW) with a cute cow print, and something else I can't remember, and also 3 newish Bummis SWW I bought new.

I have more pre-folds and some Kissaluv's size 0 fitteds on my registry. I really want to try out a variety and see what works best for us. My husband is pretty squeamish about the diaper changing, but also very willing and eager; his germ phobia might play into the system we end up with past the newborn stage.

For those who want to CD and don't know what they want to use, many on-line retailers offer newborn sampler packs. I know BabyWorks does, and they also offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. (am I allowed to link to retailers???)

#21 ·
I'm new to the cd'ering thing, but I do have a small stash to start with.

1/2 dozen cpf (the small size--whatever that is called)

1/2 dozen adjustable organic (not all in one. Need cover, but snaps and has liner built in. Not sure of brand)

gazillion liner/extra pad things (fleece, reg. cotton, etc)

1/2 dozen prorap nb covers

As you can see, I'm not terrible well versed in the names of these things.
I hope some of you can relate. I got most of these from a yard sale and couldn't beat the variety or price.

#22 ·
We're just converting over to CDs.

Right now I'm using Mommy's Touch One Size Pocket CDs and I LOVE them. My DS weighs about 35lbs, and he just fits without the extender tabs. For baby, I plan on getting some fuzzi bunz or some other fitteds in the preemie/newborn sizing. The Mommy's touch are one size, but will probably work best once baby hits 15lbs. I have new and old style, I prefer the new style. I plan on ordering some of their AIOs as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.