those of us who had a prior caesarean birth..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-04-2006, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just checking in and seeing how you are all doing.
Are you planning VBAC/HBAC/repeat cesarean? How is is going as we approach the 3rd trimester?
I am hoping for a VBAC but unsure of hospital or home so I am seeing the homebirth midwives who I love and feel very trusting of (not a usual feeling for me) and a VBAC friendly OB, I am being hyper-aware of posture - my first baby was posterior and asynclitic.
What are you guys reading? Henci Goers book is a fave of mine at the moment and I have "active birth" ready to read next.
I hope everyone is well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 12-04-2006, 11:47 AM

I was planning a VBAC until we found out that I was having twins. The midwife I'd found was the only one I could find anywhere here who was supportive of my VBAC, and she dropped me as high-risk after confirming twins. I have a cardiac arrhythmia and a fundal uterine scar not related to my cesarean, and I don't meet ACOG guidelines for VBAC, so nobody will go near me. So repeat cesarean it is, and honestly I'm resigned to it, because the OB has been really helpful and supportive in planning it to be as positive an experience as possible.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 18 Old 12-04-2006, 12:09 PM

Well, since I've had two c-sections (and never gone into labour before either), it looks pretty sure this will be a c-section baby as well. I have dreams of going into labour early (like 37 or 38 weeks), but given my history it's not likely to happen!

Tricia, due Mar. 12 w/ baby boy #3

SAHM mom of 3 beautiful boys - Aug/02, Jan/05, Mar/07.
#4 of 18 Old 12-04-2006, 01:28 PM

I'm planning HBAC with a homebirth midwife.

Things are going ok. I'm a little worried b/c I can't shake this "white coat syndrome" affect on my BP that has gotten worse since my midwife has started doing home visits because she closed her office. And believe me, I've tried all kinds of things and it does not help. I've been tracking my BP and it is fine except for when my mw is here. It's making me nervous, the possibility of getting dropped because of this. This is the same thing that started happening last time (though with an OB), my BP crept up and I was misdiagnosed with PIH which led to failed induction/c-section at 39wks. Had no other symptoms other than the BP and don't this time either. My BP was more labile (constantly fluctuating) than anything. This is extremely frustrating and I just hope my mw can continue to be understanding of it all.

Other than that, things seem to be going just fine. My food aversions are still wicked and I have such trouble finding things to eat that aren't junk.

I just picked up a copy of Journey Into Motherhood: Inspirational Stories of Natural Birth which is filled with all variations of natural birth stories. It's nothing but birth stories. I just feel like I need to work toward empowering myself for this birth at this point.

I've done all of the research that I need to regarding childbirth, VBAC and such (two years worth). I've had enough information that I can handle at this point. As this pregnancy is winding down, I am looking for comfort and inspiration and just focusing on the beauty and natural way of birth.

I'm having DH read the Birth Partner.

I also need to read a breastfeeding book because things did not go well at all last time, so I need to focus a lot on that.
#5 of 18 Old 12-04-2006, 03:54 PM

I'm planning a VBAC at home... all is going well so far. Moderate weight gain, bp is okay. Getting my birthteam all set.

I need to do things like buy a pool and stuff, but I figure I'll get through the holidays first.

What do you guys feel to be essential VBAC reading? I know I have a huge fear/body-trust hurdle to clear. In my head I know my body can do this (I've run marathons, for crying out loud), but the section really took it out of me.
#6 of 18 Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas,
Honestmomma - I liked reading 'Birthing from within' which is great for women having cesarean births as well as vaginal births. I recently picked up a high risk obstetric nursing text....I sometimes like to torture myself!......but in there it talked about how VBAC is safe and really said women who wish to VBAC should be treated like other women is labor, it totally minimized the risk of UR. It said 80% of women who try VBAC do so. I think it was published in the mid 90's but it reassured me a lot. Silent knife is another good book for VBAC.

Are any of you writing birth plans. I feel like I need to write a VBAC and a c- birth plan to cover all bases. I'd be interested in what you're including if you are writing one.
#7 of 18 Old 12-04-2006, 04:38 PM

things are going well here. I am planning a hospital VBAC and very excited about it. I have a new OB who has a reputation for being very pro-VBAC, personally and professionally. We hired a doula this time and she has a lot of experience working with my OB. I have faith that if I end up with a c/s this time, it will be a necessary one, which I don't feel was the case last time. I am also trying to be aware of posture, although my doula said not to worry too much until 34 weeks. Ds was OP which, combined with not having a doula, is what I believe led us down the path to the c/s. So trying to avoid that as best I can! But really I am pumped for this birth...I can't wait to hold my little girl in my arms and know that I did it this time!!!
#8 of 18 Old 12-07-2006, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestmomma View Post
What do you guys feel to be essential VBAC reading? I know I have a huge fear/body-trust hurdle to clear. In my head I know my body can do this (I've run marathons, for crying out loud), but the section really took it out of me.
I second Birthing From Within--it's GREAT for looking at and dealing with fears. I was also really impacted and empowered by Silent Knife, and by Immaculate Deception II--I totally recommend both of those. I think the only thing pregnancy-related I've read during this pregnancy has been Birth as a Healing Experience. The style it is written in is a little bit annoying, but the information is really valuable.

I am planning my second HBAC. I had one in February with our son, and then got pregnant again when he was just 4 months old--so they'll be 13 months apart. It was amazing how different the second labor was from my first. I think that getting to a place of trust in myself and my body, and having a solid relationship with my care provider REALLY made a difference. AND, of course, having a well-positioned babe. DS was 3 weeks early, and my labor was an hour and 22 minutes from the minute I knew I was in labor until the minute he was on my chest--so this time we are making it a point to be prepared EARLY. I WANT TO HAVE THE TUB READY THIS TIME!!! :
#9 of 18 Old 12-07-2006, 09:23 AM

Ooh, I don't know how I haven't noticed this thread before! BUT, I'll have to come back later as I need to run out the door now.

partners.gif = angel2.gifloveeyes.gif & shy.gif
#10 of 18 Old 12-07-2006, 01:56 PM

VBAC here. I had planned it to be with a CNM at a hospital locally that supports VBACs, but we're *MOVING* in January !eek! so I have to rush to find a new provider & place. We're interviewing a new doula this Sunday who has a lot of experience and LOVES VBACs. She recommends a midwifery group that sounds great ... but unfortunately they're an hour away in good traffic, up to 2 hrs away with bad traffic, so we'll see if that's going to be an option. Otherwise, the local hospital there 'allows' VBACs but won't let you be seen by a midwife which makes me suspicious that they risk people out a lot and won't be very supportive. I'm MILITANT about not having an elective/forced c/s for this baby - I refuse to be cut unless my or her CURRENT health dictates it - and will do just about anything (except going UC) to avoid it, including showing up for EMTALA.

I've been on the ICAN listserv since DD was born (much much much anger about my c/s which was based on hospital policy for GBS & slow labor after spontaneous ROM), and that's really fueled & supported me. We took a hypnobirthing class to help me relax and get my mind out of the way better, and I've reread Birthing from Within.

The greatest thing that helped me lately, though, sounds stupid ... I had BIG kidney stones - 4 of them - last month, and got them from kidney to bladder without any pain medication. I was shaking, puking, hyperventilating, begging for help, crying for my mommy and feeling like I would die ... but was joking about it 2 days later. So I'm calling that my warm-up for labor -- if I can get something the size of a large garden pea with rough edges through a tube the width of a pencil lead, I can push my smooth little girl through a place made to do just that.

Dr-Mom and SAHD extraordinnaire. DD1 (5), DD2 (3), MMC 04/10.
#11 of 18 Old 12-07-2006, 02:00 PM

I am planning my HBAC. So far this pregnancy has been as normal and healthy as my first. My c-section was for breech position. Since my c-section was scheduled I expect to labor and birth like a first-time mama.

I have started the mental process of "how is this baby going to come out". If you asked me today, I would say I believe this baby is coming out the natural way, I just don't know how. In a few weeks as I get closer to the birth, my body will prepare my mind and I will know and believe in how this baby is coming out.

I read Active Birth, Birthing from Within and a book by Ina May Gaskin with my last baby. I have not desired to read them again but still have my copies in case. I read Sit Up and Take Notice early in this pregnancy and that has made a huge difference.

I am also reading Diaper-Free Baby to learn more about Natural Infant Hygiene. I did not hear of it until my son was 4 months old. I tried doing some EC when he was 8-12 months but did not stick with it well. It will be interesting if the idea fits better this time!
#12 of 18 Old 12-07-2006, 03:08 PM

Planning VBAC #2 and hoping I get my homebirth this time LOL...you can read Niamh's birth story by clicking her name but basically DH called the ambulance because I started pushing before the MW got there so she was born in hospital (only stayed 3 hours though so all in all not bad).

This is my third time trying for a homebirth so fingers and toes crossed (DS was a failed induction at 42 weeks +2 days...so obviously a hospital birth).

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#13 of 18 Old 12-08-2006, 12:34 AM

I wanted to have and HBAC. But were I live midwives are so hard to find and they don't take medicaid and I cannot afford one at all. So I am going to labor at home as long as possible then go to the hospital to VBAC. I am so happy that the hospital here is VBAC friendly and perfer it to a repeat c-sec. I have a friend who had her 2nd kid VBAC. She got pregnant 6months after her c-sec and they let her VBAC. So I just want the other doctor to stay away and leve me be. lol cause the one who did my c-sec works at the same hospital.
#14 of 18 Old 12-08-2006, 03:09 PM

i had a c/s with ds2 cuz he was breech....im planning a ubac.. im soo excited.. I know i can do this.. i know my body is designed to birth naturally....we need to get a pool and a new pair of scizors and cotton balls and some plastic covers.... i can;t wait ......i have been reading Mind Over labor, Unassisited Childbirth, and Spitiual Midwifery...

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#15 of 18 Old 12-08-2006, 08:59 PM

I am planning a hospital VBAC and so far having a healthy pregnancy like last time. My c-sec was because ds got stuck and despite the suction they couldn't get him out (he also was ROP). I've educated myself a lot more since ds's birth and am confident I can birth my babies vaginally. I need to focus on my posture more and will make sure my baby is in the best position possible. My labor last time was pretty quick for a first time mama, so I'm not worried about the docs pushing for a c-sec for failure to progress or anything. I just need to finish putting together my birth plan (which will include a c-sec plan) and make sure all the docs sign off on it. I'm getting excited to tour the hospital since I've heard the word 'doula' to describe their nursing staff!

partners.gif = angel2.gifloveeyes.gif & shy.gif
#16 of 18 Old 12-09-2006, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMama092485 View Post
I wanted to have and HBAC. But were I live midwives are so hard to find and they don't take medicaid and I cannot afford one at all. So I am going to labor at home as long as possible then go to the hospital to VBAC. I am so happy that the hospital here is VBAC friendly and perfer it to a repeat c-sec. I have a friend who had her 2nd kid VBAC. She got pregnant 6months after her c-sec and they let her VBAC. So I just want the other doctor to stay away and leve me be. lol cause the one who did my c-sec works at the same hospital.
I am sorry you can't find a midwife that takes medicaid. Have you tried the FL ICAN list (I am guessing you are in FL by your name). I know there are several HBAC midwives on the list that take medicaid and the one I am using does too.

Just wanted to let you know. I am in Central Florida.
#17 of 18 Old 12-09-2006, 06:27 PM

I had a c-section with DS. My water broke at 35 weeks and he was breech. I am planning a VBAC this time around, with a very supportive mid-wife. The practice group she is a part of requires that VBAC mom's also meet with an OB/GYN every other prenatal appointment. So, despite missing my midwife at appointments (I adore my midwife!), I will be prepared in case I need an unexpected c-section . . . and if so, this time it wouldn't be with a doc completely unknown to me. The OB/GYN I see is very VBAC friendly, but also much more "medical" than my midwife, so I really don't look forward to those appointments with her . . .

This time around, I will be doing birthplans for both a vaginal and a c-section birth. I was COMPLETELY unprepared for the c-section last time, and in hindsight, many things didn't go as I would have liked (nothing horrible though).

We'll see what happens this time around. Ultimately, I just want a healthy baby!!
#18 of 18 Old 12-14-2006, 09:08 PM

I had a vertical c-section with my DS (emergency and positioning issue), so I can't go for a VBAC. If it was a regular my OB would be fine with it, but it's a no go

I'm concerned about it all, especially since I will be awake during it this time. But I will have a doula for postpartum recovery. I'm hoping to avoid some/many of the recovery/medication problems and unnecessary interventions done last time, by having her advocate for us. As well as just keeping the nurses away from me and baby.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page