Did anyone else have trouble with BF a previous child? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If so, what are you planning to do differently this time around?

I had such a hell of a time bf ds at first. It was really awful and I think it contributed to my PPD. Basically if something could go wrong, it seemed like it did. After 6 or 8 weeks we finally got the hang of it and he nursed until he weaned at 2.5 , but I would like for things to start out more smoothly this time.

Here's what I have planned so far:

- Homeopathic remedies. I'll be taking Castor Equi 12C 2x/day for the last 4 weeks before me EDD (I first read about this in the July 07 DDC). It is a homeopathic remedy specifically for strengthening nipple tissue and can be used as a preventative treatment. I'm also getting some in a stronger potency (30C) to help with any problems that might arise. I'm also getting this combination remedy for any potential problems.

- Hypnobabies has a Breastfeeding Success hypnosis CD that looks interesting as well. I called them up and they say you can use it even if you are not using their hypnosis for birth program and they will ship it USPS First Class for $1.35 if you ask in the notes section at check out (they charge you the full shipping price and then refund the difference).

- I know which IBCLC to call (and which ones are not helpful) if I need one. And I think I'll also have a better idea of when to call instead of waiting too long.

- And I'm hoping that having some experience under my belt will help. I think just knowing that if I can make it through the first 2 months that we should be ok will give me something tangible to reach for.

I would love to hear other ideas and recommendations. Should I go to a LLL meeting? Would it be helpful for a second time mom? Is anyone else nervous about doing this again?
#2 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 03:16 AM

I have been breastfeeding for over 5 years now:
First time I had problems because my milk didn't come in right away, she actually didn't regain birhweight in two weeks. I had had a reduction so everyone was super quick to say that I needed to supplement, I would never make enough milk...It was my husband who saved me. It also turns out that I had a milk blister, which my lc kept telling me was just poor latch and me not making enough milk. She was, hopefully no longer a lc, a horrible bfing person! Anyway, I made it through that but doubted myself for a good long while.
Second time around I ended up with another milk blister, even though I never stopped nursing. It was same breast, same pain. BUT this time I knew what it was. I knew how to treat it. I was still in lots of pain, but it was gone much quicker once I realized if I popped it it would hurt for a little bit, but then no longer.
This time, I am pretty much expecting getting another blister, so I am going to start with some letchin, spelling on that?, like a few weeks before birth. And hopefully it won't be too much of a problem.
As for LLL, GO!!!!! I so wish I had gone sooner, not only will you still get stuff from it, it is support and sometimes very wonderful support. And even my third time around, I am going. Not only will you get something out of it, but LLL works because vetern nursers go and offer support and help to new mommies who need it.
#3 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 09:40 AM
jkg

Paisley--first of all, 2.5 years is awesome! I also had a hard time in the beginning (poor latch, I had no clue what I should be doing), and, like you, I'm lining up my support early this time. I just wanted to second the recommendation to go to LLL meetings. Think of it as a free pool of resources. Like the pp said, your experience can also help out lots of other moms!
#4 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 AM

Paisley, I had the same problem -- we didn't get bf down without pain until 8 weeks, and then we went for 3 1/2 years... so obviously we got the hang of it eventually.

I have more support this time. Hopefully I know what I'm doing this time. But I'm still a little nervous.

I hope it goes smoothly for all of us!
#5 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 PM

I think going to a LLL meeting or 2 (if possible) before birth is a great idea. I did when pregnant with DD. I wanted to know that there were women *that I'd already met* that I could call if I had any problems, or just need support. I didn't want to have to worry about relying on hospital staff or some unknown LC.

Of course I need to take some of my own advice this time. . . I'm not yet connected with my local LLL chapters since moving a year ago. I should get on the ball.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#6 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 02:27 PM

yes, yes. dd and I had about every problem known for 2-3 months (poor latch, over-production, an infection that wouldn't quite...) After lots of pain and tears we were able to carry on for a couple of years. My mother joked with me the other day that I'm the only expectant mother who isn't concerned about labor but petrified at the idea of the beginning stages of bf ... good to know she was wrong! I'm hoping for me, a lot of it was not knowing what I was doing and more importantly not knowing how to sort through good and bad advice (I saw every LC in town and some were just really bad).

It can't be that bad the second time around, right? right ?
#7 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 02:45 PM

Yes! Ds had a terrible latch. Took us 8 weeks to get it all ironed out!!

This time around I'm not going to hold off on using the nipple shield if baby seems to be having a problem. My ds ended up being supplemented with formula and had to stay in the special care nursery, yada yada. I'd rather just use the shield and get to take my baby home! Also, I will come to MDC for breastfeeding help/advice. The LC I used before was : . Her scale wasn't working so she couldn't tell if he was getting enough milk but she threw up her hands anyway, told me I had the patience of a saint, and that formula would be best. Thanks for nothing lady!
#8 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 03:04 PM

DS and I struggled for all 18 months of my nursing him. Out of that time, I think we had a total of one month of good nursing . . . 1 day here, a 1/2 day there . . . but we managed.

I've asked my midwife about this very issue, and what I can do to better prepare. Her words of wisdom were that each child is so different, that a nursing relationship really varies child to child. So, I'm hoping for a champion nurser this time around (and will be keeping this post bookmarked in case I need all of your great suggestions . . . ).
#9 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 03:12 PM

My last one, omg, glad he was #6 and I was an old pro cause I could see someone giving up trying to nurse him. He had a teeny tiny mouth and I basically had to smoosh my nipple to get it in his mouth. He pulled off constantly. He couldn't latch himself on for mos and mos. There was nothing I could do to help or prevent that. I hope the next one doesn't have the same issues, I would love to just have a baby latch on at night so I can go back to sleep.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#10 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

What's up with all the lame LCs? : I saw 3 "LCs" before I found the IBCLC that rocked my world. One of the first ones told me after 5 minutes that I should just give ds a bottle. Um, have you checked your job description lady? Grr! We saw the ped. the day after her and she could spot our raging case of thrush from across the room!

Flydale - I'm the same way! In fact I've spent so little time thinking about labor that now I am starting to worry that I might be screwing myself over in that department. I still have a couple weeks to figure that out though.

Full Heart - Ds had a tiny mouth too. I still remember the horror I felt when I discovered that a piece of the edge of my nipple was missing.

I will definitely look into LLL. They just got restarted in town. I know that so much of it will depend on how the babe and I work together, but I guess it makes me feel better to be doing some things ahead of time. Just so that I don't look back and wish that I would have done xyz while pregnant. Thanks for all the replies. I hope it goes well for all of us this time around.
#11 of 19 Old 01-26-2007, 08:14 PM

With my first I didn't know what I was doing at all and made major mistakes those first days. Then the lac. consultant I had was terrible. After 5 weeks of tears I ended up exclusively pumping for 7 months then gave up. With my 2nd there were absolutely ZERO problems and he breastfed for 3.5 years!! I will admit I'm a little anxious for those first few days this time but I'm sure all will be fine now that I have experience.
#12 of 19 Old 01-28-2007, 05:33 PM

Yes, with both.

The first time, it was a bad latch that caused me great pain until 8 weeks. I saw an LC-- didn't help too much. LLL said I had to wait for her mouth to grow and they were right. DD was never affected.

The 2nd time seemed perfect-- soreness lasted only a week, and on the outside her latch looked textbook. Hower, she had very minimal weight gain. She had a weak suck and didn't nurse long enough-- she refused to nurse. It was horrible. I had to pump, bottlefeed, use a Haberman feeder, tried a SNS, AND nurse . . .all with my 3 y.o. around. (Thankfully, my 3 y.o. was soooooo patient through all of it.) I had to give her formula at first when my milk supply had dropped. LLL thought she would never nurse full-time. At 6 weeks, DD and I had a "talk" (she'd gained weight through bottle-feeding, was not nearly as sleepy) and I made her nurse non-stop for several days. I tried that before but it didn't work. This time, she FINALLY got it. Oh, and during that time I saw 3 LCs . . .one of them did cranial-sacral therapy (for $350!) and that seemed to really help.

So, yes, I am worried. However, I know that from my end I make enough milk and lack of milk is one of the hardest things to overcome . . .I also know we've been through a very hard time (a "reluctant nurser" is one of the biggest BF mysteries) and made it . . .so HOPEFULLY it will be easy, but if it's not, at least I have a lot of good experience to know it will probably work out in the end.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#13 of 19 Old 02-02-2007, 01:55 AM

Paisley - I'm very interested in this homeopathic breast strengthener!! Anybody tried it with success?

My breastfeeding story is so horrifying that I hesitate to even share it - lest new moms get totally scared. I did find a really good LC, although MIL still is upset at how horrified she was at the state of my nipples at 7 days post-partum - MIL thinks she should have acted more upbeat. Um, I lost an entire nipple and had to fish it out of the baby's mouth. There's no way a woman can see a nipple turned to a bloody mess and *not* cringe. Apparently my latch and attention to latch was really good - I popped her off repeatedly if there was any latch problem, and popped her off correctly. I had "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" as my bedtime reading for months before my due date. So there's no real understanding about why I had all the problems I had, other than the sensitivity of my skin and DD's mouth or suck strength. I ended up with all of it - mastitis, thrush, severe cracks, losing the majority of the skin on my right nipple, etc.

It took about 5 months for the cracks to heal, another month for nursing to really be pain-free. I never gave myself any other option other than nursing, and I'm so happy that we nursed until she weaned at 19 months. Now I have lovely scars on both nipples. Being pregnant has made my nipples darker, so the white scars really pop. DH looked at them in the shower the other week and asked, "Is that from Robin?" Uh, no, I didn't tell you I took up nipple carving? I hope the scars are strong - they are really thick.

But just further back from the scars, I developed thrush a few weeks ago. THRUSH - and I'm NOT NURSING!!! It's such a BAD sign to get thrush when I'm not even lactating. It really made me depressed, b/c I think it's a given i'm going to be seeing a repeat of nipple problems again. But I got clortimitole to treat it (since I'm not nursing, I went for the big guns) and I had the drugstore order me gentian violet - need to go pick that up.

But if the homeopathics can help, I'll totally try them. Also, my LC had my doc prescripe me Multi-Purpose Nipple Cream. I highly recommend it - it's anti-biotic (cracks can contribute to mastitis, let the bacteria in), anti-fungal, moisturizing, and pain relieving. And it doesn't have to be washed off. I used it after every nursing for months. I'm going to try to get a prescription ASAP.
#14 of 19 Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Oh Becca! Good for you for sticking with it! What a rough road you had there. I hope that your scar tissue will be stronger and less sensitive. Seems like it would be, doesn't it?

I first read about the Castor Equi on the July 06 board from a member named Yin Yang. I'll PM her and ask her what she thought. I've been on a big homeopathics kick lately so I just went ahead and ordered it. I'm interested in your Multi-Purpose Nipple Cream too. I remember using Nystatin cream (totally worthless IME) when we had thrush and it was such a pain to have to wash it off before every feeding - we couldn't NIP for weeks.

Are you taking any probiotics for the thrush? I just picked up some from my Naturopath yesterday (I have a sinus infection, boo hoo). They prescribe Theralac by Therabiotics. It's not cheap but they say it's the best. You can order it online for $40ish a bottle. There are 30 caps to a bottle and the dosage is 1 cap per day for 2 weeks, then 2 caps per week after that, back up to daily if needed. So if you stick with the 2x/week dosing, the bottle should last 10 weeks which I suppose isn't bad for $40. It's a nice, high dose so it will definitely help with the thrush and it might help out with any GBS issues too. I hope you get it kicked soon!
#15 of 19 Old 02-02-2007, 12:51 PM

s becca, that is a lot to stick through. The only thing I can say is that I have scar tissue all over my breasts, breast reduction, and it is all around my nipple, there is pretty much no feeling there. I hope it works out better this time.
#16 of 19 Old 02-02-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post
Um, I lost an entire nipple and had to fish it out of the baby's mouth.

But just further back from the scars, I developed thrush a few weeks ago. THRUSH - and I'm NOT NURSING!!! It's such a BAD sign to get thrush when I'm not even lactating.
OMG! Losing a nipple!

Re: not lactating-- does the colostrum count? I bet you have that now!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#17 of 19 Old 02-04-2007, 11:04 AM

I had thrush for the first three months and it was horrible! Luckily I am stubborn so I stuck with it but it made me understand why some women just can't do it. I was in lots of pain, had cracked nipples and open wounds that would not close. After I educated my OB on how to treat thrush I received Diflucan in the right dose for 28 days which cleared it up. I hope not to go through this again. I had to sterilize everything constantly. I have been taking acidophilus since then everyday and plan to bring the capsules to the hospital as well. I think since I was GBS+ the first time around the antibiotics I was given during labor killed all the good bacteria in me and helped promote thrush.
We made it through though and I nursed DD until a week or two before her second birthday!
#18 of 19 Old 02-05-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I heard back from Yin Yang about her experiences with taking Castor Equi. Here's what she had to say (quoted with permission):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang
I had a good experience with the castor equi! I did not have any problems breastfeeding this time around!! : I was VERY HAPPY. I had some sorness on one side but I made sure I changed positions all the time and it lasted for maybe 2 days. I do believe the castor equi made a big difference for me as well as having a second child and being through what I went through with the first one, KWIM? It's a combination. My made sure my diet was better (no sugars) and I sunbathed every day (I sat topless on the deck for at least 10 minutes every day) after and before DS2 was born to make sure I'd kill any yeast.
She also said she ate a lot of coconut oil and used vegetable glycerin on her nipples before and after each feeding. The glycerin is supposed to help prevent cracking and she had another homeopath tell her that it's good for baby's digestion too.

I am feeling inspired after hearing her report. Still nervous about all this, but losing some of that pessimistic-ness. Pessimistictivty? I had to pack up the dictionary and the other content of the bookshelf and move them to the garage to make room for the changing table.
#19 of 19 Old 02-05-2007, 06:47 PM

here's a website of the homeopath/lactation consultant who recommended me the castor equi remedy. her website is full of great stuff, so check it out.

my Bfing experience was so horrifying the first time around that it rally made an big impact of wheather I wann have another child or not. I was so scared to go through that again I almost made the choice NOT to have another one. So glad I changed my mind because it was VERy healing experience this time around. i think i would be bitter for the rest of my life if I did not have a second child.

good luck to you all and I am sure you'll all have a great time breastfeeding this time around.

oh and the website:
http://www.patriciahatherly.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page