anyone else having to control blood sugar? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so depressed - I usually eat very healthy - lots of whole grains. but def a carb person. I metered for three days and am running boderlins and sometimes high. I am normally vegetarian and I really can't seem to find anything to eat to control my blood sugar that doesn't totally gross me out. My mw and her assistants were calling out things egg salad, chees, more cheese, some fish, beef etc... and I thought I was going to barf just listening to them!
I am resorting to handfuls of nuts every ten minutes. can my baby and I live on nuts for the next 2 and half months?
#2 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 10:16 PM

How did I miss that we were in the same DDC? ~smile~

I'm seeing a nutritionist tomorrow... if she gives me any other suggestions besides the standard "meat, eggs, cheese", I will definitely post 'em here. Apparently there's also a danger of having too FEW carbs, so maybe you can find something that works for you? The carbs for the day that the nurse practitioner suggested were broken out as follows:

Breakfast - 30g
AM Snack - 15g
Lunch - 45g
PM Snack - 15g
Dinner - 45g
Bedtime Snack - 30g

Hopefully you can find something more than nuts... I've been doing chicken salad sandwiches for lunches, adding LOTS of veggies to the salad. Seems to be ok so far in terms of post-meal numbers.

Ecstatic mama to our one and only Aurora (Apr 07)
#3 of 19 Old 01-25-2007, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

oh gosh avaylee, thanks!
#4 of 19 Old 01-26-2007, 12:41 PM

Peanut and Almond butter are a huge staple here. . and milk. I've really been sucking down the milk. . it's crazy. Of course I'm also really particular about my peanut butter and milk so are grocery bills keep going up and up and up. It's Friday and I'm into gallon 3 of milk for this week. . .

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#5 of 19 Old 01-26-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaylee View Post
How did I miss that we were in the same DDC? ~smile~

I'm seeing a nutritionist tomorrow... if she gives me any other suggestions besides the standard "meat, eggs, cheese", I will definitely post 'em here. Apparently there's also a danger of having too FEW carbs, so maybe you can find something that works for you? The carbs for the day that the nurse practitioner suggested were broken out as follows:

Breakfast - 30g
AM Snack - 15g
Lunch - 45g
PM Snack - 15g
Dinner - 45g
Bedtime Snack - 30g

Hopefully you can find something more than nuts... I've been doing chicken salad sandwiches for lunches, adding LOTS of veggies to the salad. Seems to be ok so far in terms of post-meal numbers.
Wow, that's a pretty strict diet. My diabetic diet gives me one more serving of carbs at each meal/snack, so 15 grams more each. It works for me, but I'm not very insulin resistant this time. I can totally tell if I've eaten more than my share of carbs. Had Chinese the other night and while I thought I was doing well avoiding the noodles and only having a small portion of rice, I forgot about the hidden carbs in the sauces. My sugar was up to 159 2 hours after that meal - yikes!

I love eggs, cheese and meat though so it's really not been a huge deal for me to avoid too many carbs. My body responds much better if I have a healthy portion of protein when I eat carbs, too. So nut butters with a graham cracker do me good

Mandy
#6 of 19 Old 01-26-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyWelch View Post
Wow, that's a pretty strict diet. My diabetic diet gives me one more serving of carbs at each meal/snack, so 15 grams more each. It works for me, but I'm not very insulin resistant this time. I can totally tell if I've eaten more than my share of carbs. Had Chinese the other night and while I thought I was doing well avoiding the noodles and only having a small portion of rice, I forgot about the hidden carbs in the sauces. My sugar was up to 159 2 hours after that meal - yikes!

I love eggs, cheese and meat though so it's really not been a huge deal for me to avoid too many carbs. My body responds much better if I have a healthy portion of protein when I eat carbs, too. So nut butters with a graham cracker do me good

Mandy
This is all new to me, and I'm definitely working on the strict end of the prescribed diet since it's my fasting sugars that are high. My post-meal numbers are just fine and dandy. I'm starting to think that it's just anything refined that's causing my morning sugars to be off. Tonight I'm trying bemommy's suggestion of milk and peanut butter... I've been doing 1/2 an english muffin with peanut butter and a small cup of milk and my sugars are still high. Perhaps taking the flour out of the loop will help.

To be honest, at this point I wish I would have just declined any testing. I didn't do the GTT, this is all simply based on taking blood sugar measurements 4x a day for the last two weeks. The stress from getting the right numbers is more irritating than just eating in a more controlled fashion.

I'm down with the meat, eggs, cheese, and nuts though. It's a good excuse to actually have a more nourishing breakfast than cereal and milk.

Ecstatic mama to our one and only Aurora (Apr 07)
#7 of 19 Old 01-26-2007, 03:33 PM

Hi,
I've been struggling with this, too. Some other suggestions that have worked for me:

- hummus
- plain yogurt (full-fat with a pinch of stevia and capful of vanilla extract)
- All Bran cereal with berries (the fiber load is so high it barely impacts my blood sugar at all)

I am not seeing a dietician, but last pg my carb loads ended being something like:

breakfast 30
am snack 30
lunch 30
pm snack 30
dinner 30
bedtime snack 15

i seemed to do better with a very even distribution of carbs throughout the day.
#8 of 19 Old 01-26-2007, 03:51 PM

Mmmmm, hummus!!!! I love it too and it doesn't seem to be bad for my sugar either. The plain yogurt with vanilla and stevia sound great, too.

I figured the all bran cereal would be terrible for my numbers, might have to give it a try.

It's funny though...I have real sugar in my coffee every morning (I have about 8 ounces) and it doesn't seem to have any effect on my numbers - yay!

Mandy
#9 of 19 Old 01-27-2007, 06:31 AM

I'm working on getting my fasting blood sugar down, too. Everything else seems to be good. I, too, declined the GTT, but my mw's back-up OB feels that I have too much amniotic fluid (the u/s didn't show that, though), and he's worried about the baby being too big. So, I need to lower my fasting numbers. Can't quite get the bedtime snack quite right. Still working on that.

One thing I've learned, though, is that grain (even whole grain) will send my fasting sugar higher. Ds has Type 1, and we've noticed the same thing with him. Don't know yet what it does to me during the day. I just started checking things a few days ago. Just thought I'd share, in case this is true for any of you.

And I saw this article that might interest you. I can't eat chocolate (for other reasons), but for those of you who can, this might be an interesting experiment.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#10 of 19 Old 01-27-2007, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Christieb, I also seem to be unable to handle any grains - it so depressing when I read the diabetic pages and it says whole grain stuff is good. my normal diet didn't include white flour much at all before but lots of whole grain stuff
thanks chillmom also - I will try hummus.
I am seriously getting disgusted with the limitation of cheese, nut and meat - esp since I usually eat vegetarian!
#11 of 19 Old 01-27-2007, 07:40 PM

Cynde, you might want to try some muffins made out of nut butter and eggs or coconut flour and eggs. I can share some recipes if you'd like. They're better than you might think, and they certainly make the nuts and eggs seem less like nuts and eggs. And they can be sweetened with stevia too. Or you could make them banana muffins, which don't necessarily need any added sweetener. Pumpkin muffins would be good, too. We make pecan pancakes, too, out of pecan butter (ground in the food processor or blender) and eggs. They're seriously yummy! We top them with berries sweetened with stevia. We've been baking this way for about a year now, because ds and dh have gluten intolerance (ds has celiac, actually) and because of the damage to their guts they don't tolerate any grains, even gluten-free grains (for the time-being anyway).

I don't know for sure what these type of baked goods would do to your blood sugars, but I'm betting they'd be pretty well tolerated. Especially if you pay attention to the carb count (basically it's the add-ins you'll have to watch).

And I would bet that they would help you feel less deprived and more like you're eating what you're used to. The psychology of it all is so important.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#12 of 19 Old 01-28-2007, 12:06 AM

I am glad to get some comradery about all of this sugar stuff. I have not had the full GTT test or anything, but my midwife put me on a no sugar diet. This is definetly a struggle for me!! I am a sugar momma always have been. Since the change (pretty much cold turkey) i have lowered my blood sugars by about 40 points which is great. I do miss it a lot and noticed that my milk intake is very high as well. I am trying to substitute with fruit, but I still miss the chocolate.

I would love some recipes for baked goods (man I miss baked goods...........) with some good healthy for baby sugar substitues.
#13 of 19 Old 01-29-2007, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=ChristieB;7136707]Cynde, you might want to try some muffins made out of nut butter and eggs or coconut flour and eggs. I can share some recipes if you'd like.
yes! my psychology is that I am starving to death! although I am not its just I must have a real need for carbs emotionally. I would love the recipes - of course that means gettj=ing in the kitchen and learning to cook! but sounds worth it!
#14 of 19 Old 01-29-2007, 04:29 AM

I'll get on it tomorrow. If I forget, remind me!

#15 of 19 Old 01-29-2007, 08:21 PM

I too an having an issue. I am taking an analog insulin 3x day and every week they up the dose. I was also getting higher fasting rates avg 110 in the morning, so they put me on a small dose of NPH, a slower acting human insulin at night and that is helping with my fasting numbers. Apparently if you get too low at night, your liver starts to produce glucose during the night which can explain high numbers in the morning. I can't tolerate many whole grains at all. Especially oats, bran, and even brown rice. I have been trying a whole wheat english muffin with my eggs in the morning, but still have been running high from that. Also someone mentioned they can tolerate milk? Each cup has 12G, so I can't tolerate it all that well. I love my ice cream, which they said I could have as a bed time snack at 18G, but I still know it raises my sugars high. Dark chocolate is also a weakness, so I have a small 5G piece after some meals to satisfy my craving, if I have a nice low carb salad. I am also getting sick of eating eggs/cheese/nuts/salads and chicken. Cottage cheese is a good snack option. I found a great pita from Josephs with flax and soy that is only 5G a roll and that is awesome if you like to have it with some chicken salad, salad or some sandwich meat (I know not the best thing, but good for the diet). Avocados too are good.
#16 of 19 Old 01-30-2007, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

thanks heather - I was really confused about why folks were saying there fasting number would go lower if they had a good snack before bed. now I get it - hope it helps me I can't get lower than 104 right now!
I also wanted to tell you that I found a 72% dark chocolate bar that is only 15 grams of carb (9 sugar) for a big piece. I live in ca so we get it fromtrader joes. if I eat with peanut butter and eat half a serving size - I only go up to 124 1 hour after. can't do it every night but makes my feeling of starvation from carbs wain enough not to feel denied. also if you aren't against an occasional bit of splenda for special treats there is a 6 carb cheesecake at the cheesecake factory that is divine. or maybe it just seems divine because it is so different tadstign from the salad, nuts, chees eggs, meat routine.
#17 of 19 Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 AM

Oops! Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. But I come bearing recipes!

First, this is where I get my coconut flour, and at the bottom of the page are some recipes. I really don't know about the coconut flour that you might find in the store (it's hit or miss, I do know that). One brand I bought online was pretty course (like corn meal). This brand is nice and fine, and makes a better baked product.

I made the banana muffins on this page. They're tasty! Here's what I did differently. I used no honey, but added a little stevia to boost the sweetness. I used only coconut oil (so 4 Tbs. total, no butter), and water instead of milk, since we're dairy-free here. Normally I would have used coconut milk instead, but we were out. I also added some chopped pecans. They didn't rise as well as I would have liked, but I'm guessing that's mostly due to the age of my baking powder . I had that problem last time I made muffins, too, so that could be a clue. I'm also guessing that there is a little too much flour in the recipe, so next time I'll try cutting out about 2 Tbs. flour. Most coconut flour recipes I've made are a "looser" batter than this was. Even so, they got a big thumbs up from ds. And this made 15 muffins, and they are each just 8.5g of carb. Coconut flour has a lot of fiber in it, so that helps to slow the uptake, too (as do the eggs).

For the nut butter recipes, this page is where I got most of them. I make the Midas Gold pancakes, only I use nut butter instead of the almond flour (same quantities). And I don't use the honey. If the nut I'm using needs a little added sweetness, I add a little stevia. But my favorite nut to use is pecan, which is so rich on its own it doesn't need a sweetener. And I've made the cashew butter muffins, too, only I didn't use the banana. You could use pumpkin instead, or what I did was to use 1 1/2 cups nut butter (I didn't use cashew butter, I used some other nut butter), and an extra egg. Worked fine. I used lemon juice instead of the vinegar, and added the zest of the lemon. I sweetened to taste with agave nectar and stevia. They were quite nice. Remember that cashews are pretty high in carb (only pistachios are higher). I think I made pine nuts into a butter for this (ds can only eat three kinds of nuts).

Agave nectar is a nice sweetener because it's very low on the glycemic index. It doesn't affect blood sugar like other sweeteners, like sugar and honey. It still counts as a carb, it just won't spike your blood sugar.

I'll be back tomorrow with another recipe or two.

#18 of 19 Old 02-03-2007, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't know cashews were high carb or pistachios! gosh I have been eating huge quantities of them.
#19 of 19 Old 02-04-2007, 12:57 AM

Yes, some nuts are really good, and low carb. But some aren't. Here they are in a list from least to most carb (I'm sure I've missed some):
Brazil nuts -- 3.48g/oz.
Pine nuts -- 3.71g/oz.
Walnuts -- 3.89g/oz.
Pecans -- 3.93g/oz.
Peanuts -- 4.57g/oz.
Filberts -- 4.73g/oz.
Almonds -- 5.60g/oz.
Cashews -- 7.69g/oz.
Pistachios -- 7.93g/oz.

And the thing is, cashews and pistachios have less fiber, too. Most of the others are about half or more fiber, but those two have less fiber (in terms of percentage).

And, speaking of nuts, here's another recipe that you might like. Nut butter balls. I usually make them out of almond butter .

2 cups nut butter
1 cup butter or ghee (we're a casien-free family, so we use ghee, and I must say it's soooo good. It gives a bit of a toffee flavor)
5 Tbs. agave nectar
1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
10 Tbs. chia seeds, ground in a spice grinder
4 tsp. vanilla

I combine everything in the food processor and whiz until well mixed and pretty creamy (the coconut will still be in pieces, not creamy). Refrigerate until firm, and form into balls. Roll the balls in chopped almonds, or coconut (I haven't tried the coconut, but a friend of mine tells me that they're better with almonds than coconut). Store in the refrigerator.

For a variation with fewer carbs, I use half the agave nectar and some stevia to taste.

Hope everyone's holding their own with the GD! Not too much longer to go!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page