The Great March 07 Smilie-Off! Results inside! - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Our Birth Announcements Thread Keeper should be...
Bemommy! 24 60.00%
FLMama092485! 16 40.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
***Congratulations to Bemommy, our new March 07 Birth Announcements Thread Keeper!! Voting has ended (even if the poll says otherwise ). Keep an eye out for our new sticky, but don't feel that you have to go out and have your baby early just to fill it up! ***

Gather round all ye watermelon and basketball smugglers , the moment is upon us. It's time to vote for who will do our Birth Announcements Thread! :

The field had been narrowed to two equally skilled and qualified contestants. (Ok, so they were the only two who volunteered for this, but who's keeping track? ) Each Mama toiled endlessly to create her perfect vision of how our DDC's Announcement thread would appear if she were to be granted the duty of maintaining it. Their masterpieces appear below. Please vote for your preferred layout by Saturday, February 10th (don't worry, it's an anonymous poll ). The Mama who receives the most votes in the next 2 weeks shall have the honor of creating and updating our Birth Announcement sticky with the names and stats of all our new little people!

And now let the Great March 07 DDC Smilie-Off begin!

: : :

-------------------------------------------------------------
Going in alphabetical order, first up is Bemommy:

: Welcome Babies:

Congratulations to *insert name and username here*
the new mama to girl baby name here :

born on: EDD:
weight/height:
arrival:

Congratulations to *insert name and username here*
the new mama to boy baby name here :

born on: EDD:
weight/height:
arrival:

And our second candidate is FLMama092485:

: :

March 2007Arivals

Mama: Angela (FLMama092485)
Baby:: Boy: Corbin Michael
EDD: March 28th
Arrival Date: April 1st
Wieght: 8lbs 9oz
Length: 24 1/2 inch
Other: Successful VBAC. Corbin has a full head of dark hair and hazel eyes. Big sister is enjoying her baby brother. Mama is also pleased to annouce that he will remain intact.

: : : :

Mama: Angela (FLMama092485)
Baby:: Boy: Corbin Michael
EDD: March 28th
Arrival Date: April 1st
Wieght: 8lbs 9oz
Length: 24 1/2 inch
Other: Successful VBAC. Corbin has a full head of dark hair and hazel eyes. Big sister is enjoying her baby brother.

And there we have it. Bribery, mischief, and general mayhem welcomed - from voters or candidates! Happy voting!
#2 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 01:52 PM

Hmmm, that is a toughie. BeMommy's format is similar to July 06/Jan 07/Feb 07 which I really love and has already proven itself a winner. It has a classic look which you really can't go wrong with. On the other hand, FLMama's is quite festive and I like how all the info and stats are on their own lines. And I like how there is an "other" catergory in FLMama's. Hmmmmm... I can't decide!!! Will there be any debates scheduled between the candidates?
#3 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Can I be honest over here? I hope so.

But I think our *perfect* choice would be the blend between the two formats our mamas came up with.

I like Bemommy's because it is easy on the eyes and therefore easy to follow/read.

I like FLMama's for it's extras-its special. However I would prefer it to be a little more like Bemommy's as far as simplicity of colors/spacial word placing.

But of course, who am i but a peasant not worthy of such a decision! What do I know about smilies? Nothing, not a damn thing!
So I leave this importantest deed to you my friends and hereby declare that I abstain from voting.

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#4 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 06:51 PM

It's always easy to add extra lines. . for location, whatever info anyone wants included. :

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#5 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 07:13 PM

Oh, good LUCK TO BOTH of you! I can't choose between the two of you! I cast my vote but I love you both!
#6 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 07:17 PM

Boy oh boy, did ya have to make it hard?
#7 of 22 Old 01-28-2007, 11:24 PM

all I can say is at least it is all fun. I just wanted to have fun with the smilies after the smilie off. But I like bemommy's too. I like the Welcome babies. I wish I would have thought of that.
#8 of 22 Old 01-29-2007, 02:04 AM

I have come back to this thread like 20 times and each time I have a hard time thinking to vote. How can yo make a bunch of pregnant women vote???:
I also love the simplicty of bemommys, but I love the smiles in the info part of Flmamas. I agree that the best would be a combo.
#9 of 22 Old 01-29-2007, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
Will there be any debates scheduled between the candidates?
Hee hee hee! That would be awesome! Topics could include such controversial smilies as:

The dish licker -

The backwards notes-taker - : (Not to be confused with conventional notes-taker : )

The face eater -

The hooker -

And that broccoli who can never get totally in sync with the other dancers - :

Back to the layouts, I agree that a combo would be great. I guess what everyone should do is vote for the base design that they like better. Bemommy said she is adaptable and I am assuming that you are too, FLMama, but please speak up if I am wrong. Now obviously one Mama can't totally steal the other's design 100%, but it seems like allowing a couple tweaks would be reasonable. What do you all think about that?
#10 of 22 Old 01-29-2007, 02:51 PM

I have no problem toning down the smiles if they are what is the problem. I just wanted to do a boarder for each person and include all the different birthing methods that are available. But I can defiantly tone the smiles down. And I am 100% adaptable and open to suggestions as I am sure that Bemommy is. This is fun. This is the 1st thing I have ever tried to "compete" in. I am proud of me. :
#11 of 22 Old 01-29-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisley View Post
And that broccoli who can never get totally in sync with the other dancers - :
That darn : just has a mind of it's own. My question is why does one of the dancers sometimes get "stuck".

I'm all for tweaking and getting input. This is the announcement thread for all of our babies. And this is fun.

I will say that I did stay away from the birthing smilies. . : because they do not fit for everyone. I know that they (unfortunately) don't fit for me. I want everyone to feel hapy about announcing their baby and not have an added pressure of dealing with PP hormones on top of possibly not the birth experience that they were hoping for.

As possible thread keeper I would be more than glad to add any special smilies to each person's announcement as well as comments on the birth and or how the family is doing. I kinda think of my format as the bare bones

One things that might be an issue. . the cut off for the poll is 2/11? Is that right? Umm, I guess it's looking like we might have an announcement before then? Ms. prez, what will we do about that? (after : that is?)

#12 of 22 Old 01-29-2007, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemommy View Post
That darn : just has a mind of it's own. My question is why does one of the dancers sometimes get "stuck".
Does the banana not dance for you either? I thought it was only me. Mmmm... chocolate-covered frozen banana.

Quote:
One things that might be an issue. . the cut off for the poll is 2/11? Is that right? Umm, I guess it's looking like we might have an announcement before then? Ms. prez, what will we do about that? (after : that is?)
I really hope she is doing ok, and of course her baby too. I know that I can't edit the poll details, but maybe a mod could to get it to close earlier. Or we could always giver her her very own special welcome thread and post her first when the official thread is up.
#13 of 22 Old 01-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisley View Post
Does the banana not dance for you either? I thought it was only me. Mmmm... chocolate-covered frozen banana.
Yes. . but only sometimes. I guess he's just a little lazy.

I wish I could eat a chocolate covered banana It would send my blood sugars through the ROOF.

#14 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 01:16 PM

Personally, (not that I don't think this is fun and all...) I think we need to stop futzing about what the thread is going to look like and just put it up already.

Tomorrow is Feb 1st. Feb. 2nd is a full moon. We know we have some mamas with c/s coming up. It may tempt fate sure, but I'd rather have it there JIC.

(Says the woman with some nasty painful contractions, and is feeling like she's sitting on a head...)
#15 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post
Personally, (not that I don't think this is fun and all...) I think we need to stop futzing about what the thread is going to look like and just put it up already.

Tomorrow is Feb 1st. Feb. 2nd is a full moon. We know we have some mamas with c/s coming up. It may tempt fate sure, but I'd rather have it there JIC.
You're probably right. I've been waking up every morning now thinking how lucky this DDC has been that we haven't had any births yet. It's all getting scarily close.

Paisley, what should we do? Ask the mod to close or just ignore the rest of the polling and post the announcement thread?

#16 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Lesson learned - next time we will not let the lady who is in denial about having to give birth in a few weeks set up the poll!

I think the easiest thing to do would be to edit the title to let people know we are closing early and then make the final call and ignore the rest of the poll. That way we won't end up waiting for a mod to find the time or discover it's been closed before everyone is done voting.

So if that sounds good, when shall we call it? Tomorrow night? Tonight? FLMama, are you cool with that?
#17 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 03:45 PM

You're in denial??? Come to my house and see how totally unprepared we are to have a new baby!

I swear, these ctx I've been having were sent by the labor fairies as my wake up call. My midwife also happened to call today and I mentioned it to her and she's calling me back later to "discuss them". :
#18 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You're in denial??? Come to my house and see how totally unprepared we are to have a new baby!

I swear, these ctx I've been having were sent by the labor fairies as my wake up call. My midwife also happened to call today and I mentioned it to her and she's calling me back later to "discuss them". :
Glad to know I am not alone swimming in my little river here! I cannot find our baby clothes for the life of me. They are out in the garage...somewhere.

"Discuss them" sounds kind of scary - sort of like the pregnancy equivalent of being sent to the principal's office! Let us know what she says!
#19 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 04:09 PM

I think the bins of baby clothes are at my moms... All I know is that they are not here.

I figure if we suddenly go into labor I can send Dh across the street to borrow clothes from our neighbor who recently had a baby. Can you imagine? Hi, we had a baby. It's naked. Can we borrow some onesies? :
#20 of 22 Old 01-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I think the bins of baby clothes are at my moms... All I know is that they are not here.

I figure if we suddenly go into labor I can send Dh across the street to borrow clothes from our neighbor who recently had a baby. Can you imagine? Hi, we had a baby. It's naked. Can we borrow some onesies? :
: Oh that is too funny.

That is fine. I know I have been wondering if I will go early or not. I think it would be best to close it. Either tonight or tomorrow.

Which means congrats Bemommy. This was fun.
#21 of 22 Old 02-01-2007, 09:01 AM

This was fun. If we want to call it then I'll get the thread started and put up today. . get the mod to sticky it and all.

BUT, it won't be my fault if women start going into labor. I don't want starting the thread to be bad kharma or anything.

#22 of 22 Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This was fun. If we want to call it then I'll get the thread started and put up today. . get the mod to sticky it and all.

BUT, it won't be my fault if women start going into labor. I don't want starting the thread to be bad kharma or anything.
Sorry, super busy night last night and I totally forgot to update the title, etc. So yes, let's call it. Congratulations Bemommy!

And let's have a big round of applause for FLMama too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page