PIH and bed rest - UPDATE Post #16 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-29-2007, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I am now officially on modified bed rest for pregnancy-induced hypertension. My BP has been hovering around 140/90 for the past few weeks, and the CNMs are concerned enough to make me take it easy for the duration - no shopping, cooking, cleaning, one 15-minute walk a day at most, most of my time laying on the couch or in bed.

I had my first NST test at today's appointment, and my baby passed with flying colors - as I felt he would. But the consulting OB is concerned about possible pre-eclampsia. I can't say I blame him - pre-e is nothing to fool around with. I don't think it's in my future. But just to make sure I'll be having twice weekly NSTs, bloodwork, etc.

This week, I also have to do a 24-hour urine collection (starting tomorrow am) and a "growth ultrasound" (on Friday morning).

Anyway, the worst part of all is that I feel FINE! If it weren't for the stupid BP cuffs, I would continue doing as I've been doing - any activity I want as long as my body says it's OK. Laying on the couch yesterday while my DH did the laundry, the dishes, worked on the nursery and made dinner was MUCH harder than I thought it would be. I felt very guilty that he was doing all that work while I was "being lazy." Stupid, I know, but there you have it!

Anyway, just had to b*tch a bit

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#2 of 27 Old 01-29-2007, 07:00 PM

Karen, that sucks. I was told to lay down and drink water and have lots of sex while laying on my left side, I started showing some signs of pre e, but it was after 37 weeks. Nothing ever came of it, but laying down all day really got to me. Can you teach yourself how to crochet/knit/something that you can do laying down? It can help to pass the time. Spend lots of time on here
#3 of 27 Old 01-29-2007, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Luckily, I've got a stack of novels, and a Netflix subscription I was supposed to go to a "Learn to Knit" meeting through my tribal MDC area, but now I can't I do want to learn to knit, so maybe I can convince someone to come here and teach me

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#4 of 27 Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 PM

I feel for you, karen. Being told I can't do what I want because I am preggo is bad enough-but bedrest on top of that would drive me bonkers. I second Valerie- now is a good time to get into those projects that you can do sitting down. you know, the ones that you have been putting off...and putting off....
#5 of 27 Old 01-29-2007, 07:39 PM

I'm so sorry that you are stuck on the couch. And all that testing sounds like a PITA too. I'm glad you are *NOT* feeling horrible though, physically at least.

There are tons of knitting videos available online. My favorite site is http://www.knittinghelp.com/. You might be able to teach yourself from there. You want to learn to knit continental style (a bit harder to learn but much more efficient in the long run), and the first things to learn are casting on, the knit stitch and the perl stitch, in that order. And with the Netflix I highly recommend a series. I had a real addiction to Six Feet Under (more on the dark humor side but awesome IMO) and Project Runway is a favorite of mine too. The instant gratification of not have to wait a week for a new episode rocks!

And of course we are here for you too. I hope the time passes quickly for you and that you stay healthy.
#6 of 27 Old 01-29-2007, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisley View Post
I'm so sorry that you are stuck on the couch. And all that testing sounds like a PITA too. I'm glad you are feeling horrible though, physically at least.
You meant NOT feeling horrible, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisley View Post
There are tons of knitting videos available online. My favorite site is http://www.knittinghelp.com/. You might be able to teach yourself from there. You want to learn to knit continental style (a bit harder to learn but much more efficient in the long run), and the first things to learn are casting on, the knit stitch and the perl stitch, in that order. And with the Netflix I highly recommend a series. I had a real addiction to Six Feet Under (more on the dark humor side but awesome IMO) and Project Runway is a favorite of mine too. The instant gratification of not have to wait a week for a new episode rocks!

And of course we are here for you too. I hope the time passes quickly for you and that you stay healthy.
I'll definitely have to look into the knitting videos. That would be awesome if I could teach myself. And I *love* getting TV shows from Netflix! I've seen all of "Six Feet Under" and "Nip/Tuck" and just signed up for "Big Love." And thanks for the reminder on "Project Runway"! I don't have cable anymore, so I sometimes forget about the great "off network" series out there...

It's great to have this forum and know there are people who sympathize and don't mind the b*tching

#7 of 27 Old 01-29-2007, 08:16 PM

Yep, knitting help is how I taught myself to knit. Now, I must admit that I still can't follow a pattern, but I have a hard time following a crochet pattern also, I just make up as I go A big tip someone gave me, use circular needles, even if you don't need them. It is easier to keep together.
#8 of 27 Old 01-29-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
You meant NOT feeling horrible, right?
D'oh! Oh, that's bad! Yes, I totally meant to throw a 'not' in there. Sorry about that! I actually am feeling horrible - I have this cold from hell (well actually it came from ds's preschool) that has been going on 11 days now, green snot and all. Ugh. That must be where that little slip came from.

Quote:
I'll definitely have to look into the knitting videos. That would be awesome if I could teach myself. And I *love* getting TV shows from Netflix! I've seen all of "Six Feet Under" and "Nip/Tuck" and just signed up for "Big Love." And thanks for the reminder on "Project Runway"! I don't have cable anymore, so I sometimes forget about the great "off network" series out there...
Did you like SFU? If I was stuck on the couch I would totally watch it again. Nate... My favorite episode opening was the one where that lady died because of all the blow-up dolls floating through the air. (Wow I bet that sounds really bizzare to anyone who hasn't seen the show! ) And Lisa was supposed to have disappeared near where we live so we had fun trying to figure out what beach they were filming at. It was definitely not our real coroner's office though.

Quote:
It's great to have this forum and know there are people who sympathize and don't mind the b*tching
This kind of bitching is not bad at all. It's when you start complaining that you only have a 3 car garage and you can't decide which Mercedes should get left out in the rain that I stop showing sympathy.
#9 of 27 Old 01-29-2007, 08:43 PM

Have you been monitoring your BP at home?

Has your midwife talked to you about any remedies or alterations to your diet?

How high above your normal baseline BP is your current BP running?

These are just some questions I'd be asking myself if I were in your situation. You see, I was (mis)diagnosed with PIH with my last pregnancy at 37 weeks, put on bedrest and induced (unnecessarily) at 39weeks with an unripe cervix (obviously the induction failed). I didn't receive any type of medication for the BP when in the hospital, it was labile (means it fluctuated frequently). I never had any other signs of PIH/pre-e other than the elevated BP, I did at least two 24-hour-urine collections and had lots of blood work. Little did I know at the time that there were things I could *do* about the BP other than lay around on bedrest. It turns out I just have some major white coat syndrome in the latter half of my pregnancies. My BP has been way high at my midwife appointments for the past few months, but I've been taking my own BP at home with my own monitor and keeping a log-this is acceptable to my midwife and we are continuing with our homebirth plans.

Not saying that your diagnosis isn't legitimate, just might want to make sure you've covered your bases.

Here's also a good resource for you:
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/pih.html

Just trying to help...wishing you the very best!
#10 of 27 Old 01-30-2007, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the resource, tika! My pre-preg BP is around 112/70, and even as late as mid-December, it was running 120/78. So, 145/86 (which is what it was today) is high. I did have them take it twice for a while, once at the beginning of each appt. and again at the end. The first couple of times I did this, it dropped at the end of the appt. But the last three times, it's stayed high (dropped, but not significantly).

I've started taking a Cal/Mag supplement, though I'm not sure it's enough. I tried the Cream of Tartar/Lemon Juice thing, and the one night I did it, I just felt really weird the whole next day, so I haven't tried it again. My protein consumption is usually high, though maybe NOT 100 I AM eating a banana a day, now, though, which I wasn't before. And I've gone back to monitoring my water intake, suspecting correctly that I'd slipped in my consumption. I'm now back up to 120+ ounces a day (had fallen as low as half that!)

I suggested home monitoring to my CNM, and she wasn't too keen on it. Said she'd had too many calls at 2am from women saying, "Oh, no! My BP is XXX/XX!! What should I do!" (The midwifery I go to serves a lot of low-income, inner city women/girls, and most of them have not educated themselves about pregnancy the way I have...which sounds really condescending, and I don't mean it to be!) I don't actually have a monitor at home, but my dad does, and he's coming to visit in a couple of weeks, so I might ask him to bring it with.

#11 of 27 Old 01-30-2007, 02:38 AM

Just wanted to chime in and say you're not all alone: I had pretty severe pre-e with DD and it looks like this time is heading down the same road (no pre-e yet, but BP is 145/95 to 150/100 pretty consistently). It really isn't something to fool around with - but so hard to tell in the early stages whether it's just a physiological rise in BP or something more ominous. I'm meeting with an OB this week to consider whether to up the NSTs to bi-weekly and also consider medication, though so far baby looks great, bloodwork is fine and no protein or other signs.

It is so tough to feel totally fine - I feel like it's impossible there is something going on in my body that's this serious and yet I don't feel it. Even though I'm generally very intervention-averse, this is somewhere I've been pretty open because (at least in my prior experience) my body didn't pipe up until things were pretty bad (I vacuumed our house the day my BP and protein were so high after an NST that the nurse RAN out of the room to get the OB).

Sounds like you've got a good care provider that you're comfortable with - you may want to talk to them about the strict bedrest if it doesn't look like it's having a significant impact on your BP. From my research, the consensus seems to be that in most cases, it's not effective in preventing the progression of pre-e and may actually precipitate other complications (to say nothing of the mental strain). It's especially hard when you don't FEEL sick...

FYI, I've also found that spending time in the pool (just floating around up to my neck) is really nice: there's a little research that shows that it's as effective as bedrest and certainly is a good break (of course, this only works if you can can get there and back).

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted!

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#12 of 27 Old 01-30-2007, 04:12 AM

I'm there too. Full bedrest "with bathroom privelages" - at home. Due to Pre-E. I had PIH with my daughter (kicked in right about the same time too), but I was on hospital bedrest that time, so this is an improvement.

I feel fine as well. Just normal late pregnancy discomfort, but otherwise I'm OK. It makes it hard to just lie there. I feel like I have 100 things still to do, and I can't do them now!

I do knit, so I'm cranking out baby sweaters and soakers etc.

I don't think DH realized exactly how much I actually do in the house! Of course, now that he's doing it all he isn'nt having to much fun!
#13 of 27 Old 01-30-2007, 04:45 AM

Eww isn't that tar tar & lemon just NASTY? I took it a few times this pregnancy until I figured out what was going on with me. I started vomiting when I drank it so I used some Sprite instead of water, still used the lemon...not sure if it had the same affect but I think it did.

Oh yeah, and make sure they ALWAYS use the correct size BP cuff. It is vital to an accurate reading. Don't be afraid to ask for a larger cuff if you need it. The plus-size-pregnancy.org site has extensive info on using the correct size cuff.

My BP is about 116/76 consistently at home, but 140/90 or MORE when my midwife takes it. My BP log shows clearly that my BP truly does elevate that high when I'm under stress or am anxious. It's just very sensitive to that. Though, mw is still fine with me keeping my log. I just have to watch my stress level.
#14 of 27 Old 01-30-2007, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Luckily I'm not on STRICT bedrest - I so feel for those of you who are! My midwife even said I can go for a short walk - 15 minutes - as long as I lay down for 30 minutes afterwards. I know there is really nothing I can do to stop pre-e if I am headed down that road, but if it is just PIH, and taking it easy can keep it to a manageable level that will allow me to have the spontaneous vaginal delivery that I want, I'm going to do it. I don't even mind the NST's, etc. too much, because I know how dangerous pre-e can be if it isn't detected and watched.

paisley, I *loved* "Six Feet Under". I very nearly kept paying money I couldn't afford each month to be able to keep watching it Then I realized how stupid that was and waited for the DVDs. And I loved that "Rapture" episode, too.

I recently went to the bead store, so I've been working on some "nursing bracelets", but those will be done soon. Hopefully I can find some other projects to keep me from going bonkers. DH did let me help with dinner last night - I sat on a stool and chopped veggies for salad. And tried very hard not to "teach" him how to cook!

#15 of 27 Old 01-31-2007, 10:30 PM

KAREN,

so sorry you are dealing with this hon. Some light yoga at home can be very helpful to stay relaxed, keep flexible and good for lowering BP. don't do anything with hands over the head or higher than the heart, don't do any like holding standing poses and of course, no legs up the wall. But simple stretches can be very good and breathing meditation. Floating in water can also lower BP; I think someone else said this. also, there are some homeopathic remedies that really help. Lemme know if you wanna referal for a ND who could prescribe one.
In terms of entertainment, I guess you know that the Library has a website that you can reserve books and they will deliver. Also, on netflix, I really liked Weeds. And I love Battlestar Gallactica but I dunno if you are into Sci Fi. That is the new series, not the old...
call me if you want some company, I can come by and visit you...
#16 of 27 Old 02-01-2007, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

I am now officially pre-eclamptic. Mildly so , but it still puts a much different spin on things.

The results of my 24-hour urine test came back with a protein level of 381. It needs to be under 300 to be considered normal. And my blood pressure finally rose "above the line" to 145/96.

I had another NST today, along with an AFI u/s to check the amniotic fluid levels. The baby looks GREAT, so that's terrific news, of course. We have a growth check ultrasound tomorrow morning, and I don't expect to hear anything different.

But the consulting OB brought up induction (on the phone to the CNM). It's something I need to seriously think about, and talk to DH about as well. According to the CNM I saw today, even mild pre-eclamptics can seize, and that is VERY dangerous to the baby. She checked my cervix, and it is soft and dialated to 1cm all the way through, but not at all effaced.

My gut says to hold off on induction for now, so I think we'll wait and see how things look at my next appointment on Monday. If I make it to next Thursday, I'll have another NST plus an in-person consult with an OB.

One of the biggest things holding me off is that once I hit 36 weeks (next Tuesday), baby won't automatically be sent to the NICU. I definitely want to avoid that. I also want to avoid a c-section, and the CNM did mention that if they tried induction and my cervix wasn't "ripe", I could be headed down that road.

DH should be home soon and we will talk about our options. If my time at the midwifery and the drive home are any indication, I won't be able to do it without bawling my eyes out.

#17 of 27 Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 PM

Karen I am sorry you have to go through this. I will be keeping you in my thoughts.
#18 of 27 Old 02-01-2007, 11:19 PM

Hugs karen - What a hard position. Good luck trying to stay healthy and hold out a bit longer.
#19 of 27 Old 02-02-2007, 03:31 AM

I'm also mildly pre-eclamptic. We're doing bedrest for now, and I see them twice a week for blood pressure checks and NSTs, and ultrasounds if needed. Weekly 24 hr urines. Our goal is to get to 37 weeks.

I'm not sure why they're talking induction quite so soon for you. My protein clearance was worse than yours, and my bp is about the same, sometimes lower. I'd definitely talk about the need to induce NOW with your midwife.
#20 of 27 Old 02-02-2007, 03:58 AM

Oh, Karen, I'm so sorry to hear that - it's a pretty frightening term to hear.

The good news is that it does seem that this isn't moving at lightening speed and you're not having any other symptoms: over 300 is high, but not yet severe. How does your bloodwork look?

As for induction, it's such a hard call - there are times when it's obvious and times when the OBs amd midwives may be need to be reminded to keep their fear in check. For example, my protein was over 700 (apparently the lab stops counting at 700+), BP was 110/160 *with* two meds and I was the poster child for symptoms (vision, headache, epigastric pain, vomiting): at that point, even though I still felt almost ok and was less than 35 weeks, it was time to go. And my cervix wasn't ripe and it ended in a c-section and 8 days in NICU... no long-term physical health problems for either of us (some pretty solid psychological damage to me though).

But it's definitely not that clear for you at this point and there's nothing to say it will ever get there - pre-e has real and serious risks, but so does an induction and early delivery. The balance of options may be clear and it's so hard to talk about them, but I urge to make sure that you and DH really feel confident that the decision is the right one.

One of my main problems from the first time that the OB was very, very clear in explaining the risks of seizure, organ failure, IUGR and placental abruption (frankly overstating these risks serious as they are) and denied that medication, early delivery or induction carried any risks *at all* (which even though I had not done enough reading to argue, I knew instinctively wasn't true). So, even though if you look at the stats above, it's obvious I needed the pregnancy to end and DD is the picture of health, I carry a lot of baggage for what happened in those days.

A long-winded, roundabout way of saying I'm sorry that this stinks and hope that you have a long and boring next couple weeks - but if you don't or want to chat, we're here.

Michelle

#21 of 27 Old 02-02-2007, 01:23 PM

Karen, i have no experience whatsoever to speak about whats going on with you but just wanted to offer a hug and say that I hope everything works out and you are able to keep baby in awhile longer!!

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#22 of 27 Old 02-02-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Another update:

We had a "growth ultrasound" this morning, which lasted much longer than I expected. The upshot, though, is that the baby is doing FINE (and has a full head of hair, according to the u/s tech ). He is not suffering any consequences of the pre-e.

That is a huge relief. DH and I had already talked about not inducing until and unless it is clear that he is in danger while in the womb. Knowing he is OK in there is all I needed to hear.

And to be clear, the mw wasn't pushing for induction. She talked to the most conservative on-call OB, told me so, and also said she didn't think any of the other OBs would have mentioned induction at this point.

I'm still not showing any symptoms - no increased swelling, vision changes, abdominal or shoulder pain, low back pain (other than that caused by lying down all day!), sudden weight gain...if it weren't for the labs, no one would know I was "sick."

I'm scheduled for twice-weekly NSTs and once-weekly AFIs, and I know pre-e can get dramatically worse overnight. But for now, I'm just taking it easy and trying to make it from appoinment to appointment.

back to all of you. Thank you so much for your support!

#23 of 27 Old 02-02-2007, 07:43 PM

no symptoms is a good thing right?

More hugs to you, Karen. I was happy to read that baby is still doing well in side.
#24 of 27 Old 02-02-2007, 07:47 PM

So glad the ultrasound went well - weird about the hair: Isabelle also had a full head at 35 weeks, even though both DH and I were bald at birth (I was pretty well bald until I was almost two actually). I mean, her hair was so full, it was almost like fur . I always wondered about that...

Anyway, I think you've got a great attitude and approach - good luck!

Michelle

#25 of 27 Old 02-04-2007, 02:25 PM

Karen,

Sorry to hear about this. I am so relieved that baby is doing well though! Thinking of you..

Jenny
#26 of 27 Old 02-05-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Luckily, I've got a stack of novels, and a Netflix subscription I was supposed to go to a "Learn to Knit" meeting through my tribal MDC area, but now I can't I do want to learn to knit, so maybe I can convince someone to come here and teach me
Convince? Hah! Just drop a line (although I can't teach continental really - I'm a thrower, but not too shabby in the speed department for all that ).

#27 of 27 Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Arwyn, I might do just that! One of my other friends (as in non-MDC ) offered to come over tomorrow, but she hasn't confirmed yet. If that falls through, I'll PM you. Maybe we can keep each other entertained

I had another midwife appt. today, and my blood pressure was higher still. I got sent over to L&D for in-patient labs (faster result) and more time on the monitor. Well, my BP dropped and dropped the longer I was on the monitor, and the last read was 125/69! The midwife commented, "We often 'cure' people by sending them over here..." I had an in-preson consult with an OB who was all about keeping baby inside as long as it's safe to do so, and they finally sent me home - six hours later. Back to bedrest, and another appt. on Thursday. Right now, we're really just taking it day-by-day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page