Possible Birth Plan argument? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-02-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I want to put in my birth plan that I want the baby to be left alone with us for 1 hour after birth or until breastfed, postponing any treatments. Assuming the baby is healthy and I am healthy, of course.

I will be talking over my birth plan with my doctor next week. Everything else I'm pretty sure she's fine with. Does anyone know of a reason she may object to this request?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-02-2007, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your doctor probably won't object, but expect the hospital nurses to. You might consider discussing with your doctor what "healthy" means to her. If baby's temp is a little low, will they put baby under the radiant warmer? Or will you be allowed to snuggle skin-to-skin? Things like that. Consider asking, "under what circumstances would the baby need to be taken from me and why?"
#3 of 4 Old 02-03-2007, 10:21 PM

Yeah...someone will likely give you trouble about it, and I'm not sure you can adequately represent or list reasons why you would be comfortable with having this particular wish not respected. God only knows what some headstrong nurse or whoever will try to pull on you just to get his/her way.:

What I'm doing in my birth plan is putting a note in there about how my baby will be room in with me at all times and if it is necessary for baby to go somewhere else for medical help, dh will accompany her at all times...

And that in the period after birth, no routine birth procedures, tests, shots, etc. will be performed until we've nursed. And then they can do everything they do with your baby on your chest or in your bed. Just more work for them (though not much) but...aren't you paying them to work for you?:
#4 of 4 Old 02-03-2007, 11:56 PM

would like a peek at mrstc's birth plan - sounds like it is good. still haven't written one - eek!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page