Do people just love to talk to preg women? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-03-2007, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get talked to every day by strangers. I dont mind it, but whats with that? If I werent pregnant they wouldnt talk to me or smile at me walking by. Everyday it's not only the "how are you feeling" questions from the people who I currently work with but strangers ask me stuff or comment on things. I actually find it quite amusing to give them my alternative to mainstream answers and watch thier reactions..."All done getting the baby's room ready?" No, we dont have any extra room in our house, we co-sleep with our children" is always a favorite. Or the "you have over a month left, wow your baby will be big, or you look really big"-- Me: Yeah, I was pretty big with dd, and we had a great natural birth, I beleive in my ability to birth anything under 10 lbs." or whatever the situation entails from cloth diapers to non-circing.
What questions/comments do you get and how do you respond?
#2 of 12 Old 02-03-2007, 10:25 PM

I like to tell them that I am not quite convinced the little one is mine.

Early on in my pregnancy, when asked what I was having, I would reply that we are hoping for a puppy.

Both seem to work equally well as conversation stoppers.

I do get told alot that I look really small and it is all baby. With close to 30 pound weight gain... I sure hope not!!!

People that I have run into are so mainstream they don't even think to ask questions, they just give advice.
#3 of 12 Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 PM

why does everyone - lady at the lube shop - everybody! have to ask: when is due date, what is gender, what is name? I try to be nice but seriously I don't want to hear if the lady at the lube shop new a mean person named our name (I didn't actually tell the lube lady - I NEVER say anything other than we are still thinking... which is totally untrue)
#4 of 12 Old 02-04-2007, 02:40 PM

I think what's bugging me the most right now is when (after finding out that we don't know the sex) strangers grill my daughter on what she would rather have, a brother or sister. I've been trying all along to present to her that either a brother or a sister will be equally wonderful, and I do think she agrees.... I don't know why this annoys me so much, but it does.
#5 of 12 Old 02-04-2007, 03:53 PM

I noticed when pregnant with my son that I became public property. The OP was right. People who would never have said hello are suddenly striking up a conversation whether it's convenient for me or not. I'm a person who keeps to myself especially in public so this bothered me. Of course, it does not end with pregnancy! Once the baby is here, mama and baby become public domain. If people are fascinated by a pregnant woman or baby, fine, but can't I please run my errands without having to chit-chat (and get too much BAD advice)!
#6 of 12 Old 02-04-2007, 04:19 PM

I do not mind the questions so much- I like to play with people who ask nosy questions. My favorite lately to ?'s such as due date/what is it, is to look insulted, point to my nine month old and say I just had a baby! Boy is that a conversation stopper! It's the people who think that touching my belly is okay that really gets me. You wouldn't walk up to a person who is not pg and ask to touch, or not ask, their belly, so don't touch mine!
#7 of 12 Old 02-04-2007, 05:04 PM

It doesn't bother me. Sometimes I wonder if people secretly want to be able to open up and talk to strangers more and when they see a pregnant woman/new mom and baby they feel like they have a great conversation starter?? Just an idea....
#8 of 12 Old 02-06-2007, 06:07 PM

I don't mind people asking me questions or asking to touch my belly (although I haven't had any strangers ask), but I do mind when they start harassing my daughter. People assume that she's thrilled about being a big sis (she's not), and then they don't understand why she doesn't want to talk about it.

Trish: Mama to Buckaroo , Sweet P :, and Obo Difficult wife of Rick :
#9 of 12 Old 02-06-2007, 07:45 PM

I haven't had too much experience with this, but my sister purchased a shirt for me that I will be receiving this weekend (baby shower)...

It states: You are bothering us.

I have a feeling it may get more and more use over the next few months.

Ecstatic mama to our one and only Aurora (Apr 07)
#10 of 12 Old 02-07-2007, 01:01 PM

I think it is great that society isn't so jaded that a baby is still a good enough thing to make complete strangers talk. DH & I just saw Children of Men and it reminded me how important babies are for the whole world not just their own families - they really should & often do bring out the best in people.

I don't like when people tell me or my dss "they hope it is a girl" but otherwise I am fine with all of it. The belly touching & even the implications that I am big or the crib should be up or whatever. I guess we co-sleep & cd and whatnot without feeling as strongly about it as some other folks. I think I will be one of those people as my kids get older --- I remember visiting my MIL in the nursing home when ds2 was an infant and the way just seeing him brought old women out of their trances. Babies are special.

BJ
Barney, Ben & soon to be #3!!!
#11 of 12 Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 AM

Ha, it *is* funny how strangers will say/ask anything to a pregnant lady.

I was shopping in a boutique last weekend and the owner said to me, "It looks like you're carrying twins." I gave her a look and said, "Thanks"...not the best way to make a sale!

Today an older lady sat down on a bench right next to me and started chatting. She told me my belly looked small considering how far along I was. It's funny how everyone has their own opinions (and how eager they are to share!).

A couple months ago a lady I had just met at a party asked me where I'm delivering. I said, "at home" and her husband looked at me and said, "At YOUR home?" and I said, "No, I'm going to come to YOUR house!" Haha, I chuckled to myself the whole way home about that one!
#12 of 12 Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

A couple months ago a lady I had just met at a party asked me where I'm delivering. I said, "at home" and her husband looked at me and said, "At YOUR home?" and I said, "No, I'm going to come to YOUR house!" Haha, I chuckled to myself the whole way home about that one! [/QUOTE]

LOVE THAT!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page