Hi new on this site (with a question) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi my name is Elaina, Im new to this site. I'm due March 4th with a little boy we will be naming Kristopher. My DH name is Ryan. This is our first baby. Ummm if there is anything anyone wants to know let me know.

Now I have a question. Ive been trying to talk DH into letting me get a pet. We have a cat but he is picky and really only likes DH. I would really like to get a bunny rabbit, one that i would like to keep in the home. He said he dosent want to get one because it might have diseases. What do you all think? could a rabbit be bad to get with a newborn on the way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 01:00 AM

I think any new pet would be a bad idea right now. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all and act like you don't know what your in for, but since this is your first baby I don't think you realize just how much a baby is going to take over your life. You will not feel like taking care of an animal, when it's all you can do to take a shower and feed yourself. You will not want to play with or cuddle a rabbit when you have a beautiful baby to play with and cuddle. It would not be fair to the animal and it would be to hard on you.

Congratulation on the new baby to be!!
#3 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieB View Post
I think any new pet would be a bad idea right now. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all and act like you don't know what your in for, but since this is your first baby I don't think you realize just how much a baby is going to take over your life. You will not feel like taking care of an animal, when it's all you can do to take a shower and feed yourself. You will not want to play with or cuddle a rabbit when you have a beautiful baby to play with and cuddle. It would not be fair to the animal and it would be to hard on you.

Congratulation on the new baby to be!!
I totaly understand that and i was thinking that too. I'm just really big on having some sort of pet for the baby. I know he wont really understand it much right away but i know that sometimes animals do better with kids when they grow up together, i sure wont be letting the baby touch him or anything like that till he is much older but i think its a learning experience and that way he has a friend for life. Im not really sure if that makes much sense.
#4 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 01:16 AM

I'd wait till the baby arrives to make that decision. I barely have time to comb my cat these days and really don't clean his litter often enough. Just wait and see. If, once the baby arrives, you feel like you have extra time for a bunny, go for it. I think you'll decide that the baby is enough for now!

About the growing up together thing, if you wait till your little one is 2 or 3, they'll still grow up together!

It turns out that moderation is the key to good parenting.  Too bad we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

#5 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaina_Bell_19 View Post
I'm just really big on having some sort of pet for the baby. I know he wont really understand it much right away but i know that sometimes animals do better with kids when they grow up together...
Rabbits don't live long, you know. Maybe 5 years on the outside. I agree with others that it would be best to wait until your child is older, maybe a year.

As for diseases, a rabbit would probably bring less diseases into your house than a cat would, esp. if the cat is allowed outdoors and the rabbit isn't. Rabbits can also be house trained (litter-box trained, in other words), but aren't always the most cuddly of pets.

I suggest you do a LOT more research before you consider a rabbit. Maybe a 2nd cat would be a better idea.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#6 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 02:56 AM

Animals can be very finicky when it comes to having a new baby. We lost one of our cats when I was 6 months pregnant--she died very suddenly and we were extremely sad to see her go. But, I felt like we needed to fill the void for our other kitty. We got a new cat. I just didn't have the energy or attention span to devote to another cat. When the baby was born, it was even worse! Unfortunately, the cat turned out to be a biter and was VERY aggresive with the new baby and literally DESTROYED OUR HOME the 4th night the baby was home. We were able to return him to the no-kill shelter where we had adopted him--but it was AWFULLY hard for me, having just given birth days before.

If you want another pet--wait a while, then your baby will already be in the house when you bring home said pet. There will be no adjustment period since it will be the norm!

But I have to repeat what everyone else says--you have no idea how much time, energy, and love your baby will take out of you, after having another child, it may be a while before you want to take in new family members!
#7 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 05:13 PM

First off, congratulations!

I think I would wait, and see how you feel after baby arrives. Rabbits make great pets if you can find one who is social- the antisocial ones are a handful. I went through this with my first. I wanted a rabbit (no kidding, a rabbit. preferrably flop-eared) so bad I had a hard time staying out of pet stores. After I had DD, the feeling faded to a shadow as I had my hands full.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page