And so the calls have begun... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-06-2007, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why is it that I hit 36 weeks and suddenly people start calling? My mil is the worst she calls and asks if we have had the baby yet. Like we wouldn't call and tell her? Once we called and no one answered so we left a message that said if you wanted to know the gender to call us back. We got a call in 5 min. My mil even said she thought it was probably us but didn't want to get out of bed : , but then she accuses us of not calling when I have the baby? :

And I absolutly can not stand the ," How ya feelin?" Is this code for, "Are you in labor yet?"

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 02-06-2007, 07:51 PM
jkg

UGH!! I KNOW!! I am getting those calls too. "I can't believe you haven't had that baby yet!" was my favorite comment. Um...I"m only 35 weeks--we should all be happy I haven't had the baby yet. I know people are only concerned, but I also hate being treated like I can't do anything at this point. When someone calls and I don't answer, it might just be because I was out of the house or maybe just didn't feel like answering the phone. But all I hear is how I shouldn't be out doing the shopping or something like that...long story short, I understand your frustration. :
#3 of 17 Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 PM

I'm just 32 weeks and I'm hearing this already!! When people hear how far along I am their eyes get wide and they say something about me being SOOO close. Maybe it's meant to be comforting, but it always puzzles me because I have *8* weeks left. The baby is hardly going to come popping out at any moment!!!
#4 of 17 Old 02-06-2007, 08:36 PM

I am 37 weeks and have been experiencing the same thing! It's like the impending birth is finally REAL for everyone else. I, on the other hand, have been pregnant and awaiting this child for 37 weeks! The problem is I have happily entered my "birth space" as I have named it. I don't want to be jarred out of it by having to answer the same questions a million times. I am trying to let the silly stuff go but it does irk me sometimes!
#5 of 17 Old 02-07-2007, 12:19 PM

Funny, I had a couple of those calls the other day. One from MIL and the other from my neighbor who just wanted to see how I was feeling. Both just had the feeling that they needed to call and check in with me. Funny thing is that I actually was having some prodromal labor signs that day. Hmmmmm . . . .
#6 of 17 Old 02-07-2007, 01:08 PM

ALREADY???!!! Don't people know that babies are supposed to cook for an average of 40 weeks, not 37 or 38? WTH?

If I start getting this, I'll be edumicating people on what normal pregnancies are (term!).

Luck to you all
#7 of 17 Old 02-07-2007, 02:31 PM

UGH! Seriously? Well as rude as my family is I guess this never occurred to them! They didn't do it last time and no signs of it yet ! (yay because I would probably drop kick them)
#8 of 17 Old 02-07-2007, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTC View Post
ALREADY???!!! Don't people know that babies are supposed to cook for an average of 40 weeks, not 37 or 38? WTH?

If I start getting this, I'll be edumicating people on what normal pregnancies are (term!).

Luck to you all
Which is why it bothers me so much cause I always go to 42 weeks...so 6 weeks of calls : ! I refuse to answer the phone when she calls. She can leave a message and dh can call her back .

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#9 of 17 Old 02-07-2007, 11:54 PM

i'm dreading this. hasn't started yet --i'm 33 wks--but i remember it from last time. how annoying people can be!!
#10 of 17 Old 02-08-2007, 12:52 AM

This is why I haven't told hardly anyone when I'm actually due. Esp haven't given a due date. I'm sure it'll catch up with me, though it does seem to have bought me more time without hassles.
#11 of 17 Old 02-08-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tika View Post
This is why I haven't told hardly anyone when I'm actually due. Esp haven't given a due date. I'm sure it'll catch up with me, though it does seem to have bought me more time without hassles.
I did the same thing. I've refused to tell anyone in the family my actual EDD, hoping it will help with the "how ya feeling?" phone calls. And even though, I've been very clear about the baby being due at the end of March and vocal about my fears of him/her arriving on ds1 b-day of April 1st, my family is convinced the birthday will be St. Patrick's Day, the 17th! Ugh, so I'm sure the calls and comments will come even earlier than expected despite my best efforts.

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#12 of 17 Old 02-10-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tika View Post
Ditto! I've always just told people in April, then my DH started telling people "early April", but I figure I can live with that. However, my dad keeps asking me if "they've" narrowed down my due date to a specific date. I keep telling him, "Noooo....I'm the one that figured out my due date, and I'm not telling!!!" He just hates not knowing which day the baby is coming...well, wouldn't we all like to know the specific date???? Would make planning a little easier, right?? But no one knows for sure, except maybe the baby! (unless my prediction dream the other night was right...guess we'll just have to see!)
#13 of 17 Old 02-10-2007, 12:14 PM

I'm getting it too
I wonder how many call when I'm at work cause I dont work a regular schedule, and when I'm home the phone is off the hook
#14 of 17 Old 02-10-2007, 06:42 PM

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#15 of 17 Old 02-11-2007, 12:33 AM

it's started here too. The emails and calls, my MIL said, so you haven't had the baby yet? I was tempted to say, "oh, yes, I just forgot to tell you" I went through this with my first and I'm so surprised this time around. I keep saying - I'm not due until next Month. And then it's - not long now then.....grrrrrr
#16 of 17 Old 02-11-2007, 01:12 AM

I'm due in late Feb/early March, and I've been getting these calls for a few weeks. If I forget to call anyone, I get 10 frantic messages wondering if I'm in labor. What, like they really think I'm going to pick up the phone to chat while I"m pushing or something?
#17 of 17 Old 02-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Well I have been two weeks late with both of my previous DDs so everyone knows not to call me. They know that I may have this baby in March or in April and so they keep their mouths shut. I do get a lot of "How are you feeling?" once I do go overdue but mainly b/c going overdue is such a "rare" thing in my family.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page