Induction blues...not making it to March - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-11-2007, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so sad mamas...

I will be going in for induction on the 20th. I have Cholestasis. It increases the risk of stillbirth, and there is little to be done about it besides get Nicoleta out of there.
The other aspect of this problem is itching....sort of comparable to the chicken pox if you get them old enough to remember...a bit more severe (and no week vacation from school). So even though I am sad about the interventions, the itching is so bad that it will be a relief to stop it.
I just feel so gyped that I don't get to have anything even close to the birth I want. I know that having a healthy baby is the most important, but I really feel blue.

: :
#2 of 23 Old 02-11-2007, 11:15 PM

I know that not having the birth you want is really hard. I've been down that road before. I hope that all goes well. You are in my thoughts.

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
#3 of 23 Old 02-11-2007, 11:34 PM

I'm so sorry mama!! We'll be rooting for you!! Just think - you'll get to meet your sweet little one all the sooner! I hope it ends up still being wonderful for you!
#4 of 23 Old 02-11-2007, 11:44 PM

I completely understand how you feel. I'm going in for an induction on Monday 19th, due to Pre-Eclampsia.

I will once again no be having the birth I dream of, but I didn't with DD either, and I got over it eventually. I know I will this time too.

Good Luck!!
#5 of 23 Old 02-12-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjm View Post
I completely understand how you feel. I'm going in for an induction on Monday 19th, due to Pre-Eclampsia.
: Except I don't have an exact date yet - we are playing it appointment by appointment at the moment. I think I'll be induced the week of the 19th, though, even if things are the same as they are now. I'll be 38 weeks by then, and the midwives and OBs are worried things could turn bad at the drop of a hat.

I'm sad not to be able to go into labor spontaneously, not to be able to labor at home for any time at all. But a lot of my other birth wishes are still possible, according to my midwives (I'd already planned a hospital birth, so that part isn't a surprise or change).

to all of you who are facing this. It's so hard to lose all you've dreamed of. But my priorities have changed...I used to say "The last thing I want is a c-section." but now I realize that, really, the last thing I want is to not have a healthy baby! I try to keep that in mind every time I get "bad news."

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#6 of 23 Old 02-12-2007, 03:14 AM

I'm so sorry. I too won't be having the birth I wish for - not even close. I have to get a c-section again (had a vertical emergency last time), and due to other complications, it's being done on the 22nd. The baby will only be 37w3d, which has me a little on edge, especially since I'm having a section.

On the upside, at least you have a little time to mentally and emotionally prepare. I think it will really make a difference for you in the long run vs. having to have an emergency induction or section. Some things we just cannot control, but holding your healthy baby in your arms will make it much better, I'm sure
#7 of 23 Old 02-12-2007, 07:30 AM

#8 of 23 Old 02-12-2007, 11:13 AM

I have cholestasis too. I'm scheduled for c-section this Friday at 37 weeks, and it's the saddest thing for me. I'm not a candidate for induction because I'd be VBACing and this means that since I don't plan on having more kids, I have lost completely my opportunity to ever birth a baby the normal way. It's a terrible loss, I think. So I'm right there with you, and I know just what you mean about feeling gypped. I keep hoping I'll start labor before then, so at least I'll get a little of THAT, but so far it hasn't happened and I only have four more days.

The one upside is I look forward to STOPPING the godawful itch, don't you? It is kind of nice to see a definite date when it will end, because it's terrible to live with. People keep saying, "it's just an itch, what's the big deal, it's not like you're in pain" but they have no idea how BADLY a person can itch, and how much constant itching can wear down your nerves; I've been living with this for almost 9 weeks. So I'll be glad to see the end of that, won't you?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#9 of 23 Old 02-12-2007, 01:51 PM

ooops double post!

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#10 of 23 Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

to all of you who are facing this. It's so hard to lose all you've dreamed of. But my priorities have changed...I used to say "The last thing I want is a c-section." but now I realize that, really, the last thing I want is to not have a healthy baby! I try to keep that in mind every time I get "bad news."

I couldnt have said it better. Hugs to all of you who are going through the inductions-you are brave mamas and I know that may not be the experience you have envisioned for yourselves.
But- you do get to meet your wonderful beautiful babies and take them home. THAT is the most important and priceless.

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#11 of 23 Old 02-12-2007, 03:12 PM

#12 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you mamas....and it is comforting to hear other March mamas in the same February boat!
#13 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Llyra,

You have been in my thoughts and prayers.

NOBODY who has not experienced this can possibly understand how difficult it is for us....the inability to escape it just for a minute, the lack of sleep, the skin scratched so raw it stings and bleeds but still itches....maddening.
And of course the knowledge that at any time this "just an itch" might kill our babies. At night I sometimes think I may not make it to week 37.

So, yes, I also see my induction as a light at the end of a tunnel....but it's the train.
#14 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 08:32 PM

http://www.rainiersoapworks.com/ makes a special soap for PUPPS, which is another pregnancy related rash/itching problem. I read in a birth journal on another site that this soap eased her itching and made her feel so much better after trying everything! Maybe this will help??
#15 of 23 Old 02-14-2007, 07:42 PM

mommietime and llyra,

You're both in my thoughts...I went into PTL with Nic, his due date was 3/1 and he was born 1/27 by c-section. It definitely wasn't the birth I had envisioned, especially after a complicated pg, but the joy at seeing my baby boy and now having him home makes me push back the negative thoughts about birth.

I hope your births go well and that you both soon get to hold your little ones soon. Good luck.
#16 of 23 Old 02-14-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather423 View Post
http://www.rainiersoapworks.com/ makes a special soap for PUPPS, which is another pregnancy related rash/itching problem. I read in a birth journal on another site that this soap eased her itching and made her feel so much better after trying everything! Maybe this will help??
It's a really good idea, and thank you, but I've been through every soothing itch remedy know to humankind, and nothing works for me. They work to soothe the irritation caused by scratching, which is a blessing, but the only thing that helps the actual ICP itching is cold-- ice or cold baths-- because they reduce blood flow to the skin.

It's the bile salts or whatever that build up in the blood that cause the itch, rather than skin irritation, so it's really really hard to find anything that helps.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#17 of 23 Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 AM

Well, everything was fine again at the midwife today (NST/AFI, BP, blood work, and cervical check). But we went ahead and scheduled my induction for next Thursday (2/22) (check into hospital on Wednesday night). I'll be 38w2d at that point, and babe should be healthy as can be...and hopefully I won't have any additional issues before then!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#18 of 23 Old 02-16-2007, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well,
not only did I not make it to March, I didn't make it to Tuesday...

but I am very pleased to announce that we survived the Cholestasis, and as of 2:51 on 2/15/07, I am the proud new mommy to Nicoleta

She is doing very well so far, and I am not complaining about my stitches too often!

It went really great, and you mamas are in my thoughts now, hoping as great for you!
#19 of 23 Old 02-16-2007, 06:02 AM

Congratulations!!!
#20 of 23 Old 02-16-2007, 10:55 PM

Congratulations!! I'm not from your ddc, but I have Cholestasis too and I'm facing a 37 week induction myself, so it's wonderful to hear a good story.
#21 of 23 Old 02-16-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
The one upside is I look forward to STOPPING the godawful itch, don't you? It is kind of nice to see a definite date when it will end, because it's terrible to live with. People keep saying, "it's just an itch, what's the big deal, it's not like you're in pain" but they have no idea how BADLY a person can itch, and how much constant itching can wear down your nerves; I've been living with this for almost 9 weeks. So I'll be glad to see the end of that, won't you?
Oh, this is so true. I developed Cholestasis at only 15 weeks, so it's been 15 weeks for me and I'm quite honestly at the point where the end can't come fast enough. I hope your section goes well and that you feel better soon.
#22 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 07:00 AM

I'm sort of late chiming in here (was searching for cholestasis threads), but I wanted to let you know, I know exactly how you feel.

Kaiden was born at 38w3d, I was admitted to the hospital at 38w1d. When I found out I had cholestasis, I was devastated. I had dreamed of a water birth, going into labor on my own, and being able to labor for a while at home. I was so upset that it wasn't able to happen, and felt guilty for being upset as well.

Once a date was scheduled for my induction, it was such a relief knowing there was an end in sight. Nobody can understand what it's like itching yourself until your skin is raw and you're bleeding. I'd take ice cold showers, and sleep with ice packs in bed, even that didn't totally help.

I look back now, and I'm so happy things turned out ok. I was even able to go into labor without pitocin, and was able to deliver in the tub. I'm terrified of it happening again when we are ready for child #2, but I know that at least this time around, I'll be able to be prepared and know what to expect.
#23 of 23 Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 AM

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page