birth control after? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 02-16-2007, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We'll be using diaphragm and the occasional condom for probably the first 9 months. . then I think we'll start not trying not to. I would like one more baby and it took 2 years and 2 miscarriages to get this one. . . I'm not getting any younger.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 02-16-2007, 11:28 AM

We will be going back to what we used before this baby which is the cervical cap. I used it for 3 years between babies and it was the perfect BC for us since it didn't involve hormones, didn't interrupt sex, and was easy to use. Plus it was completey reversable once we decided to TTC. I just didn't use it when I was ovulating and here we are waiting on our next little girl.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#33 of 45 Old 02-16-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risen_joy View Post
Wait - how effective is the sponge? Do they still sell it? All I remember from it is from Seinfeld and how Elaine horded her stash b/c they took them off the market! Don't know much else!

I was looking into the sponge before we decided to get pg this time and learned from their own website that if you have delivered a baby vaginally the effectiveness was 80% which is a pretty high failure rate.

We've been using NFP and condoms off and on throughout our marriage but DH really wants a vasectomy. I am weary of the side affects but there are side affects with everything I guess.

I agree, we need a switch.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#34 of 45 Old 02-16-2007, 12:04 PM

We'll be using the lesbian method : . Hey, it's pretty effective!

Seriously though, it's one of those few times where being gay makes life easier. The getting pregnant part was more complicated, though luckily we got pregnant on the second try.

I'm glad we don't have to worry about bc because after this pregnancy I am pretty sure (and so is DW!) that we never want me to be pregnant again. And she has *absolutely* no desire to EVER be pregnant.
#35 of 45 Old 02-16-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadoula View Post

Seriously though, it's one of those few times where being gay makes life easier. The getting pregnant part was more complicated, though luckily we got pregnant on the second try.

I'm glad we don't have to worry about bc because after this pregnancy I am pretty sure (and so is DW!) that we never want me to be pregnant again. And she has *absolutely* no desire to EVER be pregnant.

You cracked me up!
#36 of 45 Old 02-16-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadoula View Post

Well, I guess that option's out for us, sigh...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#37 of 45 Old 02-16-2007, 05:22 PM

Wow, after reading this thread I'm not so sure what we'll do after he's born. I really want to loose all of the 40+ pounds I've gained which makes the shot kind of hard justify - no worries about becoming preg again, but hard to loose weight etc... In anycase though, I really, really, really can't afford to become pregnant again soon - have to wait till we've settled down (ie, figured out/picked which STATE we're going to live in, at the VERY least!!) at the very, very earliest. kwim?. So yeah... we'll see.
#38 of 45 Old 02-17-2007, 12:51 AM

I'm getting a copper IUD. I have some really serious reservations about it, many of them tied to my wacky menstrual history. But I found out that my insurance will cover it and so I'm going to try it out. I don't think I would if I had to pay for it myself.

I don't "do" hormones - mostly because I have severe hormone issues and PCOS. I think it's totally ridiculous that physicians kept trying to shove Mirena on me when it's known to cause cysts. Hello! I already have had two ruptures, surgery, and countless other cysts - some of which were up to 8 cm in diameter. Uh, no thanks. :

I won't let Dh get a vas (nor would he get one anyway) and a tubal is out of the question. I'm allergic to spermacide and condoms make me smell. FA is hard because of my hormone issues, it can be nearly impossible to chart. So I do hope that the IUD works out. Dh is adament that this is our last baby. I would have liked a fourth, but I think realistically three is my limit.
#39 of 45 Old 02-17-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We will be going back to what we used before this baby which is the cervical cap. I used it for 3 years between babies and it was the perfect BC for us since it didn't involve hormones, didn't interrupt sex, and was easy to use. Plus it was completey reversable once we decided to TTC. I just didn't use it when I was ovulating and here we are waiting on our next little girl.
Is this an over the counter thing? I'll have to google it.

That's crazy re the sponge - 80% effective doesn't quite cut it!!
#40 of 45 Old 02-18-2007, 06:09 PM

we use condoms ... only option I can deal with but I hate condoms! IUD scares me ... the whole do it only if you've already had a kid. And won't do hormones because I believe in the natural thing.
#41 of 45 Old 02-20-2007, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
we use condoms ... only option I can deal with but I hate condoms! IUD scares me ... the whole do it only if you've already had a kid. And won't do hormones because I believe in the natural thing.
: If I weren't so desperate to have a break between this baby and the next I wouldn't even think of regular (ie hormonal) bc...(sigh)
#42 of 45 Old 02-20-2007, 02:59 PM

Anyone know about if the ring is safe??

Asking my midwife today.
#43 of 45 Old 02-20-2007, 10:30 PM

According to this page at Kelley Mom, it is in lactation risk category L3:
Quote:
L3MODERATELY SAFE:
There are no controlled studies in breastfeeding women, however the risk of untoward effects to a breastfed infant is possible; or, controlled studies show only minimal non-threatening adverse effects. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#44 of 45 Old 02-20-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxceleste View Post
Anyone know about if the ring is safe??

Asking my midwife today.
I would not trust the ring, as i posted before it caused me to have to miscarriages.
#45 of 45 Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipfree View Post
IUD scares me ... the whole do it only if you've already had a kid.
That is only true for Mirena. Paragard (copper IUD) can be used by nulliparas.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page