Questions when screening for Pediatricians - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-15-2007, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This isn't my DDC, but since I figure those of you who plan to have a pediatrician have already chosen one, I thought I'd post here.

DF and I are looking at who we should choose as our Pediatrician. We were just wondering what some of your criteria were for deciding on which doctor to go with.

Little background: I'll be having my labor at a birthing center with a midwife. I plan to co-sleep, breastfeed, selective vax, baby wear, etc. I want someone who is very naturalistic, doesn't over prescribe antibiotics, and who is open to discussion about things like vaccinations etc. What are some questions that you feel we should ask a Pediatrician? Any suggestions would help tremendously! Thanks in advance!!!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#2 of 6 Old 02-15-2007, 10:13 PM

Tara, you might try asking your midwives for recs, they often know the friendlier peds in the area. We used a pediatric naturopath in the past, that was a great fit for us, and our insurance covered it - there are a decent number of insurance plans out there where the primary care provider doesn't have to be an MD. Good luck finding someone you really like!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#3 of 6 Old 02-15-2007, 10:53 PM

You might want to consider what help you want from your pediatrician. I realized after my son was born that I wanted my ped to help when my son needed medical intervention, i.e. some infections, vaccinations, etc. I found my pediatrician was not very good at helping with sleep issues and I never approached subjects like baby wearing, etc. The more I have learned about complementary/alternative medicine, the more I have spread out our health care to those areas. That has felt right for my family. I still take my son (and soon baby) to the ped when I feel medical intervention is needed.

So I suggest you spend some time thinking about what you need from a pediatrician then formulate your questions from there. For example, if you know now you will selectively vax, ask for a ped's opinion on that.
#4 of 6 Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 AM

there was a previous thread on this forum about this a few months back with some pretty specific questions - I'd search back, b/c there were some good suggestions!
#5 of 6 Old 02-16-2007, 09:48 AM
jkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstinctiveMama View Post
You might want to consider what help you want from your pediatrician. I realized after my son was born that I wanted my ped to help when my son needed medical intervention, i.e. some infections, vaccinations, etc. I found my pediatrician was not very good at helping with sleep issues and I never approached subjects like baby wearing, etc. The more I have learned about complementary/alternative medicine, the more I have spread out our health care to those areas. That has felt right for my family. I still take my son (and soon baby) to the ped when I feel medical intervention is needed.

So I suggest you spend some time thinking about what you need from a pediatrician then formulate your questions from there. For example, if you know now you will selectively vax, ask for a ped's opinion on that.
This is the approach I ended up taking and it has worked well. I don't ask my ped. about things that I don't want to hear her answer to, such as co-sleeping or breastfeeding issues--I have sought out other professionals and sources for those purposes. As far as medical intervention goes, I have been pleased with her care.
#6 of 6 Old 02-16-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstinctiveMama View Post

This is great advice!

Vaccination is a big one for us. We don't vax at all and obviously we need a pediatrician who's on board with that. I think having a ped who's breastfeeding friendly is a good idea too. Otherwise if your dc doesn't end up gaining "enough" or something you might get negative pressure about it.

Also, you will want to think about how you want to approach sickness. Do you want a doc that's going to prescribe something for every sniffle? Or who can walk you through some home remedies first? Stuff like that..

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page