I need some advice.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-17-2007, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been in so much pain and I have been swelling for at least 2 weeks. I feel so miserable. My bp is good and I'm not spilling protein but I'm swelling like crazy. I gained 4 lbs in 1 week! My hands, ankles, legs, and feet are swollen all of the time. My dr. doesn't wanna induce me because my cervix is still hard as a rock. He said if he try to induce me while my cervix is like this, I will have a 50% chance of a c section. He said on my next appt. if my cervix starts to change he can induce.. Can someone please give me so cervix softening, ripening, or dilating tips.. It will be so appreciated..
#2 of 15 Old 02-17-2007, 12:42 AM

I hear that sex is good, something about sperm helping thin the cervix, thats all i know about that sort of thing.
#3 of 15 Old 02-17-2007, 01:44 AM

I don't have any advice. Just wanted to say that I've sooo been there. My first pregnancy was like that. In fact, I start retaining water at about the halfway point and the last few weeks are terrible! And like you, my bp is always fine, urine checks out fine. Sigh.

I hope baby comes soon and you feel better.
#4 of 15 Old 02-17-2007, 03:33 AM

Are you consuming enough salt? I know it seems counter-intuitive, but if your salt intake is too low, it can cause you to retain water. That amount of swelling isn't good. You might ask your doctor to run a 24-hour urine test (collect urine for 24 hours and check for protein). I was spilling only trace amounts of urine at my regular visits, but my 24 hour test came back at a level that made me mildly pre-eclamptic. A PIH panel (blood check) wouldn't be a bad idea either, even if your BP is "fine."

As for your cervix, try taking Evening Primrose Oil caplets - you can take up to three a day and it can help soften things up. I'm due almost the same day as you, and have been taking EPO for a couple of weeks. My cervix is dilated between 1-2 cms and getting softer at each check.

Sex helps, too - semen is a natural protaglandin. (we're going to try that some more this weekend )

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#5 of 15 Old 02-17-2007, 03:58 AM

Try nettle tea to help the swelling. Brew a *really* strong cup, add honey if you need to, and drink. Repeat in an hour.

Make sure that you're getting enough protein.

Salt your food to taste.

Rest. Lie down on your left side with your feet up and veg in front of the TV or with a book or just take a nap.

The aggravation of the swelling is nothing compared to an induced labor, trust me on this one.

But to get your cervix ripened, EPO is a good bet. Orally, as described above, as well as inserted into your vagina before you go to bed at night. (Wear a pantyliner as it can get messy.) Insert it as far up inside as you can possibly reach.

Sex also works as semen contains prostaglandins as mentioned above. Prostaglandins are also released when you orgasm as well.

You're almost there, this is the end of the ride. The last few weeks can be miserable, but you can do it!
#6 of 15 Old 02-17-2007, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

I read about epo capsules and I wanna start some but I don't know what stregnth to get?
#7 of 15 Old 02-17-2007, 05:29 PM

Not from your birth month

B-6 is very good for us preggos.
Quote:
Their pyridoxine deficiency results from not only methionine-rich high-animal protein Western diets and the same toxic Western environments that affect us all; high dietary sugar lowers B6 and many other nutrients. The stress of pregnancy and the demands of the growing fetus further drain the mother of B6. 62 This deficiency distorts mineral balance and hormone balance as well as fluid balance. 57
This deficit shows up in such symptoms as edema (John Marion Ellis, a pioneering clinician and researcher in Mount Pleasant, Texas, reported one pregnant woman lost 15 pounds of water from her tissues after she started B6!), carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), dropping glassware, leg cramps, diabetes of pregnancy, nocturnal paralysis of the arms, muscle spasms in legs and feet. None of these conditions is normal and healthy for the mother. 57
And for the fetus these symptoms are the stark but universally ignored handwriting on the wall foretelling not only risk of heart attack in later life but also of infantile atherosclerosis—which can be inferred to start in utero. 62 And, according to Suzman’s theory, risk of SID! Ellis rids his pregnant patients (and their fetuses and newborns) of these symptoms using B6 supplements. The women take 100 to 300 mg daily, gauging each’s needs by the severity of her CTS. 57
http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorba...v8-n4-p229.htm
#8 of 15 Old 02-17-2007, 10:19 PM

Your cervix can be hard as a rock and completely closed one day and you can go into labor the next. Or some women walk about for weeks a couple of centimeters dilated. Your body and your baby will begin labor when everything is ready. Can you get your OB to give you some time?
#9 of 15 Old 02-17-2007, 10:22 PM

mw told me that 75% of preg women have troublesome edema in last trimester and that it wasn't something to worry about as long as there are not ohter worries like spilled protein in urine or high bp. she just said rest, get massage. why would doc think it is worth inducing? my swelling is bad but mw sees nothing at all alrming about it. its just exremely uncomfortable.
#10 of 15 Old 02-17-2007, 11:11 PM

Watermellon can also help with swelling. Make sure you are getting enough salt, continue to salt your foods to taste. Drink at least a gallon of water a day. And take a bath every night. As far as softening your cervix - sex and EPO can both help.

I am very swollen. My thighs and hands are the worst. My hands swell to the point I can't bend my fingers. OF course great bp and no protein spilling. I just tend to retain water. Baths help the most for me.

I would recommend you hold off on induction if its not medically indicated. I know you are miserable (I really really do know) but its best for baby if the baby to wait till s/he is ready. Hugs!

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#11 of 15 Old 02-18-2007, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynde View Post
mw told me that 75% of preg women have troublesome edema in last trimester and that it wasn't something to worry about as long as there are not ohter worries like spilled protein in urine or high bp. she just said rest, get massage. why would doc think it is worth inducing? my swelling is bad but mw sees nothing at all alrming about it. its just exremely uncomfortable.
He want to induce me because I have been having quite a bit of problems. Plus he thinks that i have GD and he doesn't want the baby to get too big...
#12 of 15 Old 02-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying for #1 View Post
He want to induce me because I have been having quite a bit of problems. Plus he thinks that i have GD and he doesn't want the baby to get too big...
No such thing as GD. Really. There's not. Check out Henci Goer's writing on the subject.

The induction process is far worse than the swelling and general uncomfortability that comes along with the end of the third trimester. Best way to avoid an induction in this case: quitcherb!tchin. :
#13 of 15 Old 02-18-2007, 01:27 PM

I have to say, I agree with PP's - as much as it may *sound* good to have the baby sooner, you don't really want an induced labor and the higher risk of complications and interventions that come with it. And your doc "thinks" you have GD? that's not evidence of needing an induction. As someone who had horrible swelling and water retention with my first pregnancy, I know it's bad and makes you miserable. But you gotta be tough! This isn't the worst thing that will ever happen to you, and it'll be over soon with NO long-term side effects. But if you talk yourself into inducing and end up with a miserable birth experience, highly medicated and monitored labor, possibly a c-section, I can promise you you'll look back and wish you had held out a little longer. I know there are cases where induction is medically necessary and best for the health of mother/baby - that's a different situation entirely.

Take a nap every day, lying on your left side. Drink plenty, salt your food to taste. Taking EPO and having sex is never a bad thing to help your cervix along. The last few weeks of any pregnancy are a challenge, just try to be patient with yourself and stay strong!
#14 of 15 Old 02-18-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying for #1 View Post
Aside from the swelling and pain (what sort of pain?), what problems are you having?

Be wary of any doc who wants to induce because "the baby is too big." First of all, it's very rare to build a baby bigger than you can vaginally deliver, unless you have some sort of underlying problem with your pelvis. Second, there is no accurate way to tell how big a baby is until it is born. Even ultrasound estimates can be off by a pound or more. I had a friend who was "diagnosed" with GD and told her baby was over 9 pounds so they induced her. Her daughter was born weighing just over 7 pounds, and the doc said, "Huh. I guess maybe you didn't have GD after all..."

This last month sucks, it really does. I'm having neck pain/headaches from all the left-side-lying I'm doing to keep my BP down, and I'm tight and sore from lack of exercise. My pelvis hurts every time I stand or roll over in bed, no matter how often I go to the chiro. My baby has his butt high up in my right rib cage so that I'm uncomfortable sitting in anything but a straight backed chair. And, still, I'm really disappointed that I'm having to induce on Thursday (due to pre-e), and worried about all the things that might go wrong. I'd much rather wait it out and have a spontaneous delivery.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#15 of 15 Old 02-19-2007, 10:59 AM

I agree with the others, especially Turkish Kate

I know it SEEMS like having the baby out is going to solve all your problems but do you really want to be one of those women posting because she is traumatized by her birth experience? Believe me, that is something that sticks with you for YEARS. It seems like a quick fix but it isn't.

Rather than focussing on softening your cervix try to focus on treating the symptoms of your swelling. I understand that you are miserable, we all are, that is a big part of pregnancy and we assume that is going to happen when we get pregnant, it's a given. Do the things listed to work on your swelling but also know that it is normal as is being uncomfortable.

Really, this is your first test of parenthood. Being a parent is often times uncomfortable and downright painful. Yes, you get to meet your beautiful new baby but along with that comes many sleepless nights, worry, anxiety, the list goes on and on and quick fixes don't work once the baby is out so you shouldn't try to turn to them now.

Your baby knows when he or she is supposed to be born and your baby deserves the right to be born at the time that is best for him or her, not the time that is best for you. Patience Mama.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page