Stop asking me! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-20-2007, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so fed up of people asking me if I've had the baby - phone calls, emails, etc. It's driving me crazy. Strangers asking me if my cervix is dilated, etc. I understand the need to check into a Namibian hotel at 36 weeks.
I love most of my friends but I'm so fed up of it at the moment.
I just need to scream AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
That's better.

Another one - "I called twice and you didn't answer so hoping you've had the baby". Yes, as I've nothing else to do but answer the phone or go into labor
#2 of 16 Old 02-20-2007, 06:42 PM

I totally agree! I am astounded how people jump back into your life as soon as the "due date" is coming up. Two weeks ago I explained to one friend why I was not in the mood to talk on the phone. She seemed to understand. Until last week when she called three times! Thank goodness for caller i.d.

I am also curious as to why people think I will have the baby and not tell them. As if in the age of email, it's not simple enough to send out a quick message. I have told everyone they can look forward to an email from me after the baby is born. Now I just need them to believe me. Argh!
#3 of 16 Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 PM
jkg

I've been getting the same thing for a couple weeks now. I'm only 37 weeks!!! I've started telling people that I don't think I will have the baby until the end of March--that way, I'm hoping they lay off a bit.
#4 of 16 Old 02-20-2007, 07:35 PM

People are asking you questions about your cervix???!!! WHAT?! Have they lost their insensitive minds?

I'm trying not to badger my sil who's due next week for this very reason. I want her to know I'm there to talk but also understand just wanting to feel normal, just wanting maybe even to be left alone before the baby comes, not wanting to feel pressured to return phone calls, emails, etc.

I hope people back off. You could leave a message on your machine like I've been known to do--"No baby yet, and I can't come to the phone because I'm enjoying these last few days of peace and quiet. Leave a message if there's anything ELSE I can help you with. Thanks" BEEEEEP!
#5 of 16 Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 AM

I hate going to church because people keep freakin poking my belly! And there's this one guy who keeps saying, "If you don't pop that kid out soon, I'm going to take you for a truck ride on bumpy roads!" I can't even fit in the bleeping seatbelt in the car! And I hate trucks! And I hate people. Even MIL has only called once in the last week and isn't being pushy. So what's up with these other bozos? I've decided I'm not taking the baby to church until he's at least 3 weeks old anyway, if only just because I don't want them to see him right away! Dang!
#6 of 16 Old 03-01-2007, 12:01 PM
kdf

I am with you here. I was at church on Sunday and two of my friends were like " NO baby yet" Look at me does it look like I have had a baby. Then yesterday my friend called and I was putting my ds down for a nap so I didn't answer the phone so she got the answering machine and left a message saying " Oh I got the answering machine maybe you are in labour, can't wait to here the news" I didn't call her back and I am not answering the phone again until the baby is here. I am not due until today so don't ask me if the baby is here yet.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#7 of 16 Old 03-01-2007, 12:53 PM

Yup, luckily my mom got a clue & asked dh if I was getting tired of phone calls. He was pretty blunt, lol. So she passed the word around.

You should have seen the look on our new doctor's face when I told him I'd been having contrax for a week & was due Saturday... (family doctor, but I'm not seeing him for the pg -- obviously). He stared at my belly like it was going to pop right there in the office. Then asked what they (the midwives) were going to do on Saturday.

All in all, I say -- three cheers for caller ID!
#8 of 16 Old 03-01-2007, 02:30 PM

I get daily texts and phone calls from all sorts of people! Uhhh... hello, I'll let you know when I have the baby! It's a constant reminder of how slow the time is going!!
#9 of 16 Old 03-01-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Another one - "I called twice and you didn't answer so hoping you've had the baby". Yes, as I've nothing else to do but answer the phone or go into labor
That is SOOOOO true!! I'm getting a bit tired of all the "When are you due? Oh you're NEVER going to make it!!" Wow - I didn't know you were a fortune tellar!! How silly of me for not knowing that you would know when my baby would be born! :
#10 of 16 Old 03-01-2007, 03:47 PM
kdf

She called again today. My friend b/c she was sure I had the baby just because I didn't answer the phone yesterday. I told her she would get a call. Hopefully she got the hint not to call me again. I am scared to call anyone b/c that is the first thing that they think when I call.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#11 of 16 Old 03-01-2007, 03:50 PM

We should make a new t-shirt:

YES I'm still pregnant - NO I don't need you to help get the baby out - NO don't call and NO don't assume if I don't pick up that I'm in labor!!

I would wear that to church EVERY week!
#12 of 16 Old 03-01-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstinctiveMama View Post
I am also curious as to why people think I will have the baby and not tell them. As if in the age of email, it's not simple enough to send out a quick message. I have told everyone they can look forward to an email from me after the baby is born. Now I just need them to believe me. Argh!
That is so true!! I'm not there yet - I'll be 36 weeks on Sunday, but I know it's just around the corner!! This time around I plan on being plenty blunt with people. Last time I didn't have the nerve and everyone drove me crazy!!
#13 of 16 Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM

I've already had to give my standard answer:

Yes. We had the baby weeks ago. We just decided not to call you because you're not that important.

It was my cousin and she already knew what I was planning to say when people started getting antsy and calling to find out if I am still pregnant. So, she laughed, but I'm still saying it to everyone else who has a snarky comment about still being pregnant.

Good luck to all of you!
eva
#14 of 16 Old 03-02-2007, 02:46 PM

If a stranger asked me about my cervix I'd probably pop em.
#15 of 16 Old 03-02-2007, 08:04 PM

I guess I'm getting lucky now that its my 3rd or its just not as exciting for people because I'm not getting calls or anything and I'm 38 weeks tomorrow. We don't plan on telling for at least 4-5 days anyways so its all good.
#16 of 16 Old 03-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Oh yeah, I'm sick of it too. Grrrr.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page