Swaddling Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I figured I should get a little baby care refresher so I was skimming through the Dr. Sears Baby Book and came across something I had never heard before. On page 92 of the revised and updated edition (incase anyone wants to check) there is a sidebox that talks about swaddling a baby. It says that swaddling babies too often and for to long may harm their hip development, and that they need to have freely swinging motion of their legs and lie or sleep with their legs outward in a frog position. Has anyone ever heard this before. I swaddled my other 3 babies for months and a lot. Their hips seem to be fine. It seemed to really help them fall asleep. Now I'm wondering do I swaddle or not?? Just one more thing to worry about.

If you think this should be in another forum please feel free to move it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 AM

We swaddled DD until she was about 4-5 months old with no problems at all, by that time it was more just her arms than her hips anyway...we used a Miracle Blanket. It was my understanding that this is more of a concern with older babies. There are cultures that swaddle until baby is a year old that don't have problems. We'll be swaddling again until it no longer works for us unless this baby doesn't like it to begin with.
#3 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 11:34 AM

none of mine really liked to be swaddled...they always squirmed until we took the blanket off...and then their legs went into frog position so maybe just watch for babe's clues...they'll let you know if they don't like it...mine did!
#4 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 12:06 PM

Mine have all like to be swaddled, though they wanted to stop at different times. I think you just have to watch the babe!

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
#5 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 02:26 PM

That might be a concern if you swaddle their legs really tightly (straight out from their bodies, no flexion or ability to move), but most of the swaddles I know don't really straighten and restrict their legs much - it's more about their arms, maybe a little gentle wrapping around the legs.
#6 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
That might be a concern if you swaddle their legs really tightly (straight out from their bodies, no flexion or ability to move), but most of the swaddles I know don't really straighten and restrict their legs much - it's more about their arms, maybe a little gentle wrapping around the legs.
Yeah, what Arwyn said. If you watch/read "Happiest Baby on the Block" he talks about how it's all about swaddling the arms quite snuggly not the legs.
#7 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 01:50 AM

Ooo, must finish reading that book, as we are swaddling DS pretty tightly at the moment. 'Course, he's only 2 days old : so we have plenty of time to change...

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#8 of 8 Old 03-01-2007, 11:26 AM

Yeah, swaddling is about the arms. Especially with a Miracle Blanket, there's no way it can be too tight on the legs. But if you use a straight blanket, just be careful not to trap the legs. The point of swaddling is to keep babe from squirming, waking itself, scratching, and being startled when his/her arms flail. You should swaddle if babe likes it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page