Natural Induction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not saying that I intend to "naturally induce" per say, but I havn't had so much as a twinge or a BH and I am beginning to get worried. My OB will only let me go a week past due before scary medical induction.

So here is my question - could sex and nipple stimulation be harmful at this point? I am "due" in 9 days. Could using a little hand pump at this point harm a future BFing experience?

And then what would the next steps be in order of most natural to last ditch efforts before Pitocin?

Mother to a wonderful 4 year old boy born March 2007 who was once fuzmalesling.gifbfolderchild.gifdiaper.gif and still familybed1.gif

Starting once more from the beginning and  expecting bigeyes.gif a surprise someone pos.gif in September

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 02:30 PM

First I'd like to say that I am sorry you have a caregiver that does't believe in the process. One week late isn't much give for a first time Mama.

I am not a fan of induction, natural or otherwise but some things that are good for you anyway: Lots of strong red raspberry leaf tea - at this stage you should only be drinking water or RRL, EPO=Evening Primrose Oil taken orally and vaginally and plenty of sex - orgasms are great and semen applied directly to the cervix or taken orally will also help ripen your cervix. Spend as much time as you can on an exercise ball to help bring the baby down to a good position and going to the chiropractor at least once a week would be great! If you get close to your 'induction date' you also might want to give accupuncture a shot. Nipple stimulation isn't a bad idea per se but my concern is that you could make yourself sore before you even have a baby.

Last but certainly not least - your doctor cannot make you get an induction. Even if you schedule it you could always not show up saying you were sick or had a family emergency, this could buy you some much needed time.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#3 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 03:10 PM

With my first I never had a single contraction until I went into labour about 8 days after my due date, so don't be too concerned.
I think to keep it natural as possible - sex, walking maybe spicy food if you like it. However I do think that you will be ready when you are ready and nothing truely brings on labor - except from cytotec/cervidil and pitocin.
My mantra at the moment is - no-one is pregnant forever!
#4 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 03:16 PM

I second Keri, your dr cannot make you get an induction- they *have* to offer one at 41 weeks, then again at 42, but you can refuse. They will most likely recommend a bio-physical profile then to see how baby is doing.

I tried nipple stimulation at 41 weeks last time to try and get things going, using a manual breast pump. It did make my nipples a little sore and chapped- so if you go this route, I would recommend using lanolin as well. It is also recommended to use hot compresses on your nipples between pumping sessions.

Cumin tea made with the seeds can also speed things along, as well as black and blue cohosh. (sp?)

But, your due date is nine days away- if this is your first, give your body the time it needs. Your body hasn't done this before, it may take a little longer than what the dr thinks.
#5 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior mama View Post
With my first I never had a single contraction until I went into labour about 8 days after my due date, so don't be too concerned.
This was me too. No BH, baby hadn't dropped or engaged, I wasn't at all dilated or effaced, my mw didn't expect me to go "anytime soon" (24 hours before I went into labor) - and I had a very fast, easy labor at 8 days past my due date.

My suggestion if you are going to try anything past sex and RRL is to wait until 2-3 days before you would "have" to get medically induced (and I agree with PP about stretching that as best you can). At that point, there's a much higher likelihood natural induction methods would work (and a pretty good chance you'll go into labor on your own anyhow ).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#6 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 PM

You might also schedule a visit with a chiropractor-- which I just discovered can be difficult if you have an HMO. Also, spend lots of time on your hands and knees because that encourages the baby to get in a good position.

Something to keep in mind is that if your doctor is induction-happy, he/she may also be very quick to use interventions if you go up to 2 weeks past your due date. Some doctors are wiggy about overdue moms. Have a really specific birth plan and if you don't have one already, get a doula.

Good luck!

Trish: Mama to Buckaroo , Sweet P :, and Obo Difficult wife of Rick :
#7 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! I do have a birth plan and a Doula, but I also have this pushy OB. : And my OB is located in the hospital so it's hard to give them the slip if it came down to that....

At this point I think I will try RRL, the ball and sex - my god it feels like it's been so long - I hope we even remember how to do it at this point!

I have trouble getting on my hands and knees because of severe swelling that has left my hands numb (apparently this means that I was cruising for carpal tunnel syndrom before pg) and my legs and feet pretty unconfortable.

When I get closer maybe I will try the EPO. How much EPO is recommended and at what kind of intervals?

I am glad to hear others didn't have BH or twinges at this point. That fact had been worrying me. I am determined not to be induced though - and will try anything more natural that that if it looks like that's the way it's going down.

I will give it a week or so though! I get my crib today - maybe that will kick us into high gear - or maybe I should go on that girl's weekend I was invited to next weekend - 3 hours of bumpy roads away from DH and birthing hospitals.

Mother to a wonderful 4 year old boy born March 2007 who was once fuzmalesling.gifbfolderchild.gifdiaper.gif and still familybed1.gif

Starting once more from the beginning and  expecting bigeyes.gif a surprise someone pos.gif in September

#8 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_shoshin View Post

I am glad to hear others didn't have BH or twinges at this point. That fact had been worrying me. I am determined not to be induced though - and will try anything more natural that that if it looks like that's the way it's going down.
I even tried castor oil at 42 weeks- and it didn't even make me go to the bathroom.

I think I was doing EPO vaginally just at night at first- and when I got to 41 weeks, morning and night. Orally I can't remember. 400mg capsuls I beleive.
#9 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 06:30 PM

I'm going for evading visits as well. Call the morning of say your sick or dc is. Give you a little extra time. You could research stripping memebranes, somewhat natural, worked well for me last time wjhen there was just about no other alternatives then being enduced last time

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#10 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_shoshin View Post
I have trouble getting on my hands and knees because of severe swelling that has left my hands numb (apparently this means that I was cruising for carpal tunnel syndrom before pg) and my legs and feet pretty unconfortable.
If you can't put any weight on your hands/wrists, try getting down on your hands and knees but lean your chest on your birth ball. This can be really great for labor too, in the hospital - either put the ball up on the bed, or kneel on the bed facing the back of the bed - put the back of the bed as high as possible and the foot of the bed as low as possible, so you can kind of hang over the back of the bed. This is great for pushing too (if this makes no sense ask your doula she knows I'm sure). There's a pic on this page, partway down: http://www.transitiontoparenthood.co.../positions.htm
#11 of 11 Old 02-27-2007, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This probably sounds silly, but I've read it somewhere in the past 9 months. In addition to everyone else's comments, spend time looking at baby pictures, nursing pictures and things to get your mind focused on baby. Spend time intensly daydreaming/visualizing yourself with your baby against your skin and at breast. This is said to help release much needed labor hormones.

(FYI - several weeks of coughing your head off won't work : )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page