What Are You Doing/Not Doing?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 38 wks and I'm pretty sure DH thinks I'm milking this pregnancy for all it's worth. : As of last Friday I told him I'm not driving anywhere - I'm 5ft tall and can't reach the pedals with my big 'ol belly in the way. I also told him I'm not grocery shopping. Even if he keeps our toddler at home it's still such a hassle. Lots of walking, lugging bags (we have to bag our own groceries, too, at the store we shop at), oh and not to mention the driving to get there and back.

I'm not expecting him to baby or pamper me. I've never asked him to do anything I don't NEED. I'm out of all my pregnancy tea and he won't get more. Too much of a hassle. I really want to see a chiropractor since my OB is talking induction if my amniotic fluid gets too low, but when I asked dh when we could he sorta rolled his eyes and said that his schedule is too booked up.

I think I'm pretty easy-going. I'm not sending him out at odd hours to get crap like ice-cream or dingdongs. I'm not asking for full-body massages. I haven't been emotional - I never am, even when not pregnant and pmsing. I don't expect him to make dinner, or clean up...or anything. I ask him to carry heavy things, drive me around, and run important errands (grocery shopping) and that's about it.

Am I asking too much?? What are you mama's doing? What is your activity level?
#2 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 06:23 PM

I'm doing everything I was doing before except carrying DD's up to bed.
I'm due tomorrow.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#3 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 06:33 PM

I've cut down on some of the usual things that were my chores, such as grocery shopping (I can't reach anything on the bottom shelves anymore!). But otherwise, I'm doing pretty much the same stuff... still walking to get the mail, still doing the dishes, still making dinner--although we split that 50/50 anyhow. I am still working full-time, through the end of this week, but that's where I know I've really been particularly flexible. "Full-time" is a relative term when an office chair isn't comfy for more than a few hours and you know that work stress will keep you so wound up that there's no way to let your muscles relax.

So while all the home chores are pretty much the same, I'm taking a bit of extra for myself at work.

However... that all said to say... I'm 39w right now, due on Mar 25th. Next week, I sort of expect that there will be far more whining on my part, which will mean far more "stepping up" on my DH's part. I might be able to get away with not doing dishes for a few days.

ETA: I just glanced at your blog... You're doing PLENTY, mama! If I was doing that much house stuff, I'd be demanding some palm-fronds and fanboys for all my troubles. Wowza.

Do you guys have a grocery store near you that delivers? (Like safeway.com or something?) Maybe just for these last few weeks when you're uncomfortable and he's not feeling up to some of the big tasks like grocery shopping?

Ecstatic mama to our one and only Aurora (Apr 07)
#4 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaylee View Post
I've cut down on some of the usual things that were my chores, such as grocery shopping (I can't reach anything on the bottom shelves anymore!). But otherwise, I'm doing pretty much the same stuff... still walking to get the mail, still doing the dishes, still making dinner--although we split that 50/50 anyhow. I am still working full-time, through the end of this week, but that's where I know I've really been particularly flexible. "Full-time" is a relative term when an office chair isn't comfy for more than a few hours and you know that work stress will keep you so wound up that there's no way to let your muscles relax.

So while all the home chores are pretty much the same, I'm taking a bit of extra for myself at work.

However... that all said to say... I'm 39w right now, due on Mar 25th. Next week, I sort of expect that there will be far more whining on my part, which will mean far more "stepping up" on my DH's part. I might be able to get away with not doing dishes for a few days.

ETA: I just glanced at your blog... You're doing PLENTY, mama! If I was doing that much house stuff, I'd be demanding some palm-fronds and fanboys for all my troubles. Wowza.

Do you guys have a grocery store near you that delivers? (Like safeway.com or something?) Maybe just for these last few weeks when you're uncomfortable and he's not feeling up to some of the big tasks like grocery shopping?
at the palm-fronds and fan boys!! I like the way you think.

Yeah, I've been keeping busy - and I LIKE to be busy. I'm NOT expecting dh to wait on me or anything! There are just a few things I cannot do and I don't *think* it's too much for my hubby to suck it up and do what needs to be done. Granted, he's been busy with house stuff too - I don't deny it - BUT this whole "sell the house and build a new one" was HIS idea. He pushed for it even though I (and everyone else) said he was nuts.

I'll look into the delivery thing. I've never heard of it around here, but it's certainly worth a try!!!

Oh, ps. Dh JUST went out and got me my tea (and some castor oil LOL). So I guess he's not a complete meanie.
#5 of 10 Old 03-19-2007, 10:37 PM

You are only 38 weeks - is there some reason to expect your fluid would be low? I've never heard of fluid being checked prior to 41 weeks in a low-risk pregnancy (ETA: I saw on another thread that you are being monitored for low fluid - is it a recent development? Sorry you are having to deal with that and hope you can avoid induction!) Trying castor oil at 38 weeks if you don't have any clear signs of imminent labor will probably only lead to you hanging out on the toilet a lot....

I'll be 42 weeks on Wednesday (unless I go into labor tomorrow). I'm saving the sweeping for DH - well, trying to, really I'm just sweeping less than I normally would want to (the big black dog has started shedding) and DH is supplementing it. I try to not pick up heavy things - although I did hassle a 42 lb. bag of fertilizer into the truck yesterday. But he is responsible for carrying baskets of folded laundry upstairs. Otherwise, I'm home alone 5 days a week, so I carry DD (2.5), do all the cooking and cleaning that gets done through the week, drive (although I'm 5'2" and my belly does touch the wheel now), bathe DD and put ehr to bed, do the grocery shopping, etc.

When DH is home, I certainly tap him to do all the things I dread (carrying in groceries, bathing DD, sweeping, etc.). But I think challenging myself to stay active and do all the things that are a normal part of my life (as long as they are safe) ultimately makes for a more comfortable pregnancy. I carry many fewer bags of groceries in each trip, so it takes me 2ce as long to get it all in - but that's not unhealthy. Although I do *hate* reaching into the cart to get my groceries out. I actually hit the grocery more often so it's less of a feat when I do go.

My SIL describes being pregnant and nursing as a process of turning to veal - you lose muscle, endurance, energy. I've actually been more active during this pregnancy than I was before and I feel so much better than I did at the end of my pregnancy with DD. I'm determined to stay active even with a newborn - I just feel so much more energized. I refuse to turn to veal!
#6 of 10 Old 03-20-2007, 10:16 AM

It seems to me the solution to my DH issues (such as you mentioned) was to be away from each other for almost two months!! My DH was sooo not helpful when we were together earlier in the pregnancy (first 6.5 months), but now that he has joined me in Oklahoma, he's been very attentive! More than I ever really thought possible! It does help that he's on his paternity leave already and not having to deal with work. He has even volunteered to be my "Jeeves" and drive me wherever I want/need to go. He's been putting up with my horrible emotional rollercoaster, too! (and yesterday he *almost* happily applied my belly cast plaster/gauze...I think he's pretty proud of himself, too! )

I don't know how women who work out of the home during the last month of pregnancy do it! I'm so exhausted and in pain after half a day of errands...I just couldn't imagine getting up--esp. after a particularly restless/sleepless night!, getting dressed, and sitting in an office chair all day (or worse...standing all day!), unable to put my feet up (I swell quite a bit if I don't have them up most of the day). Kudos to you all!!

Oh, and to the OP, no I don't think it's unreasonable of you to ask/expect more from your DH than he's delivering!
#7 of 10 Old 03-20-2007, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post
You are only 38 weeks - is there some reason to expect your fluid would be low? I've never heard of fluid being checked prior to 41 weeks in a low-risk pregnancy (ETA: I saw on another thread that you are being monitored for low fluid - is it a recent development? Sorry you are having to deal with that and hope you can avoid induction!) Trying castor oil at 38 weeks if you don't have any clear signs of imminent labor will probably only lead to you hanging out on the toilet a lot....
At my appt 2 weeks ago the doc I saw (not my dr, but another in his practice) wanted me to get a quick u/s to make sure the baby was head down because I'd mentioned lots of low movement. Luckily the baby is head down, but they noticed that my fluid levels are low. It was at a 7 that day (they like it to be between 5-25). Last Wed it was just below a 6, but they did a nst and let me go because I told them that induction is just not something I want unless it's critical. On Friday it was back up to 8.5!

So tomorrow they'll look at the fluid levels again and I'm hoping it looks good - at least good enough that they'll be content with just monitoring me and letting me go into labor on my own. Luckily my doctor is much more easygoing about all this and knows how I feel about induction, pain meds in labor, c-sections, all that.

So that's what's up with the fluid levels.
#8 of 10 Old 03-20-2007, 11:19 AM

I'm 41 weeks 3 days and besides my achey pubic bone I feel better than I did a few weeks ago . I'm either very, very energetic (walking everywhere, cooking and cleaning up a storm, shopping, etc). Or totally crashed out in bed. There's no in-between anymore that seems.

That said, I felt like ass a few weeks ago and I really needed DW to be there for me, and your DH should do the same mama! You're working hard!!
#9 of 10 Old 03-20-2007, 01:05 PM

I'm 39 weeks today, I do what I am comfy with. I clean and do laundry, but I go slow. do not do heavy lifting, other people take care of water bottles and groceries. And a lot of the time, I have volenteers to carry my 27lb DD up the stairs for me, thank goodness, other wise i have to stop for a breather every two steps. Especially if I am having BHs.
#10 of 10 Old 03-20-2007, 01:23 PM

I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow and pretty much doing just what I've always done... just waayyyyy more slllooooowwwwllllly... and with a cute waddle according to dh

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page