life with a babe thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 131 Old 04-09-2007, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Llyra - I had Eli sitting on my lap onthe recliner last week, and DD climbed up to sit with us. I was tickling her and playing with her - when Eli rolled right over the arm of the chair. He landed on the Boppy, and it was a very soft landing, but I felt awful. He was fine... i felt like a bad mommy though. ANd about grumpy James, I really wouldn't worry. My nephew and DD are 3 days apart, and she was little miss sunshine and early on every milestone. He was much less expressive, smiled much later, made little eye contact those early months, etc. SIL was worried he had some developmental problem or that something was wrong, but it was just his personality and developmental curve. They are 2 1/2 now, and he's clearly perfectly normal. DD has always been quicker on the milestones, and is much more verbal and a clearer speaker, but my nephew is normal, happy, and his own unique self. And unlike my DD, he's got an intensity about the things he loves (totally devoted to trains) and is fantastic at playing by himself. It's super hard to not compare them when you have 2 same-aged kids side-by-side. Just remember they are individuals with different personalities, and will develop at different rates.

Karen - With RObin, I would look at the variious developmental milestones for her age in The Baby Book, and would randomly incorporate those activities into our day (like, when she was supposed to be able to start mimicing facial expressions, I'd look at her and stick my tounge out, and when she was supposed to start grasping, I'd offer her small things to hold). I suspect I'll have less time on my hands for poor Eli. But I agree that generally, the best thing to do is to include your DC into your day as much as possible, and narrate to them as much as possible. I talked to Robin nonstop when we were interacting (liek during bathtime, I'd tell her what I was doing and what parts I was washing, etc.). Just narrating what you are doing and why over time can help them understand their worlds and eventually develop their own verbal skills. And it never hurts to read to a child or just show them pictures.

SeeingStars - How is your recovery going? So sorry to hear your surgery didn't go as smoothly as planned. you really did an amazing job pumping so much milk so early! I know it's disappointing to have to supplement . But truly, you pumped a lot - I had to pump for my DD at 1 week pp, and I got such scant amounts. You couldn't have predicted the complications, and even if you had, would you have been able to pump and save enough emb? Be proud of what you were able to do! Hope you are feeling better.

LotusDebi - sorry your DS is having trouble adapting. Don't beat yourself up about not homeschooling - it sounds like it's not a workable situation at the moment. I personally don't think homeschooling is the best option for every child. That's a whole other conversation, though. But your son sounds like he might blossom in a school setting, and that you'd be totally overwhelmed homeschooling him at the time being. Good luck, and hope his adjustment improves.

ANybody else on reflux watch? My DD had it pretty bad, and I'm worried for Eli. He clears his throat/grunts a lot - it's his primary noise. I'm trying to be watchful as to whether it indicates discomfort, or if it's just his noise. He's started spitting up this past week - mostly it seems normal, but he's had 2 high-volume, almost puke-like spit ups this weekend. DD spit up so much, and so forcefully, and cried and screamed from the pain of just nursing. I just can't remember how old she was when in first manifested - i think it was when she was 3-4 weeks. I'm crossing my fingers he dodges the bullet.
#62 of 131 Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

nak
ugh, can i just vent for a sec about my mil? i don't normally have trouble telling people what is on my mind but i don't want to tell her off because she does so much for us and is so sweet and generous and she really does mean well, but UGH. We live near each other and she is always observing miles and then making suggestions to me. she called me last night to berate me for not taking miles to a pediatrician since the trip to the pulmonologist. She told me how concerned she is about his muscle tone and that she is still sure there is something wrong. I tried to tell her that ever since the pulmonologist suggested reflux, we've been addressing it and his breathing has gone way down to normal and he doesn't sleep 22 hrs a day anymore, and he is getting tons stronger. He has met every milestone that he is supposed to meet plus he is ahead on lots of other milestones. He is a happy peaceful baby. oh and it's frustrating because my naturopath ped doesn't count in her book, needs to be a medical ped.

and then she got into (again) how she thinks I should send dd to this ridiculously priced private school for kindergarten this fall about 30 miles away from me (1 1/2 hours one way in traffic) which costs 30,000$ tuition per year. We homeschool right now and that annoys her, but there is a charter school I really like about 10 miles away and that is where i would want to send her if we decide not to homeschool.

What bugs me so much is when she says that she just wants what's best for her grandchilren, but when she says that she is basically saying that I do NOT want what's best for my children. :

sorry for the novel.
#63 of 131 Old 04-11-2007, 04:48 PM
jkg

Oh Astromom, I totally get it, believe me. I wish I had some advice but I go through the same sort of thing. Stick to your guns, mama! You know what's best for YOUR kids!
#64 of 131 Old 04-12-2007, 12:57 AM

Is anyone soooo tired ? Isabel stays up, sometimes up to 18 hours a day. Her average is staying up 12 hours. I'm soo tired.
#65 of 131 Old 04-12-2007, 09:17 AM
jkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Mama View Post
Is anyone soooo tired ? Isabel stays up, sometimes up to 18 hours a day. Her average is staying up 12 hours. I'm soo tired.

Oh yes, ME! Last night I told DH he was going to have to carry me to bed...seriously, I am so tired it hurts!
#66 of 131 Old 04-12-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post

SeeingStars - How is your recovery going? So sorry to hear your surgery didn't go as smoothly as planned. you really did an amazing job pumping so much milk so early! I know it's disappointing to have to supplement . But truly, you pumped a lot - I had to pump for my DD at 1 week pp, and I got such scant amounts. You couldn't have predicted the complications, and even if you had, would you have been able to pump and save enough emb? Be proud of what you were able to do! Hope you are feeling better.

Thanks for asking, Becca! I am feeling MUCH better. I still have a bit of soreness where the infection was, but thankfully the antibiotics have knocked the infection out. Now that we have all of that out of the way I am enjoying being able to eat! I spent the last 4 months of my pregnancy surviving off of saltines and broth, so the transition into good food has been enjoyable. I just hope that I don't end up gaining AFTER pregnancy as opposed to during.

Is anyone else STARVING? It seems like every time I eat something I am hungry again as soon as I sit down. My sweet tooth is insane too. It doesn't help that my husband brings be goodies every morning from the resort that we works at.
#67 of 131 Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post

ANybody else on reflux watch? My DD had it pretty bad, and I'm worried for Eli. He clears his throat/grunts a lot - it's his primary noise. I'm trying to be watchful as to whether it indicates discomfort, or if it's just his noise. He's started spitting up this past week - mostly it seems normal, but he's had 2 high-volume, almost puke-like spit ups this weekend. DD spit up so much, and so forcefully, and cried and screamed from the pain of just nursing. I just can't remember how old she was when in first manifested - i think it was when she was 3-4 weeks. I'm crossing my fingers he dodges the bullet.
Yup!! I'm on reflux watch here. I hate it. My first ds had reflux and a dairy allergy and it was hell on us. I'm really hoping to forgo the reflux this time!! Well, dairy allergy, too of course, but I can live with that!

I'm not sure if it's reflux or not, but Gabe seems very urp-y sometimes and uncomfortable on his back. Other times he's fine. I guess only time will tell. For those of you who are dealing/have dealt with reflux, at about what age did you begin to suspect reflux as the culprit? I'm having a hard time remembering how all this happened the first time around...
#68 of 131 Old 04-13-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeing_stars View Post
Is anyone else STARVING? It seems like every time I eat something I am hungry again as soon as I sit down. My sweet tooth is insane too. It doesn't help that my husband brings be goodies every morning from the resort that we works at.
I'm with you on the starving. I'm way more hungry now than I ever was on my hungriest pregnant day. I had to explain to DH what "eating like a hobbit" means, LOL. (I need to come up with a hobbit name for myself. Any ideas?) And yeah to the sweets thing, too. I've been begging DH for sweets on an almost daily basis. Fruit just doesn't cut it, although I try like heck to make it work. For some reason, my body knows the difference between an apple and a Snickers. Funny, that.
#69 of 131 Old 04-13-2007, 03:01 PM

I know I'm a little late to chime in on the diaper rash issue, but I was given lots of different diaper cremes and the one I like best is called Butt Paste. I hate the name, but it is good and it isn't pasty, it's more ointmenty. In any case, my new baby did get the little pimplies I think twice and both times it was because I tried to skip a midnight change....never again! He is too sensitive. Anyway, the butt paste really works wonders and QUICKLY!! Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!
#70 of 131 Old 04-13-2007, 04:43 PM

Ok, it's taken me four days to read through this thread and two to reply! : Glad to see everyone here! It's going to be weird when they close our DDC, I'm so used to checking in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemommy View Post
I've actually got a bit of an oversupply problem and need to watch to make sure he gets enough hindmilk. I'm looking forward to the pooping becoming a little less frequent. Between pee and poop it seems he needs to be constantly changed. Oh and he belches louder than a frat boy. . it's pretty funny this huge sound coming from such a small being.
Be - We have the same baby! This is us to a T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkg View Post
Good news--the diaper rash went away!! I just used breastmilk and let it dry.
Jkg - Thank you for mentioning this! I forgot all about using bm for rashes. Will have to try it when ds1 is at preschool so I don't have to try and explain me squirting milk onto baby's bottom to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeing_stars View Post
I am so sad that she had to have formula. I was always so proud that my older son never had a drop and I feel like I've given this new baby "worse" treatment than I was able to give her brother.
Seeing_stars - I have a friend who had a similar experience with formula. It was really hard on her and it still hurts but it's gotten better with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
Ugh, anyone else absolutely starving? I can't eat enough. I dropped 20 lbs in the first few days pp but have been stuck at the same weight ever since. Seems like it all dropped off quick with dd. Oh well. I'm mostly annoyed just because here I am again without clothes that fit me. :
Astromom - Yes! Me too! I am so hungry it's nuts. I need to find some healthier snacks to have on hand because my appetite and all this easter candy is a bad mix! I gained 47lbs, lost 31 in the first couple of weeks and seem to be stuck now. I am thinking about trying eBay for some cheap clothes in my in-between size.

Lotusdebi- How's Ethan these days?

Things are good over here. We're rockin the oversupply and OALD over here too. I thought we might have some kind of issue with reflux or allergies but now I am thinking that it's all related to a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I put A on the scale with me and I think he is pushing 15lbs now! Finding clothes and diapers that fit properly is tough. Poor me, I will just have to stalk the TP and Co-ops boards looking for some new deals. Off to see why ds1 is so quiet...
#71 of 131 Old 04-13-2007, 07:05 PM

Can someone show me some info on foremil/hindmilk inbalance? I am one week two days into cutting out dairy and eggs. She is still congested and still spitting up. Though I think she is what is called a happy spitter. It doesn't seem to bother her. But I am wondering if any of this is milk/allergies, or if it is something else. I am looking forward to a little less pee and poop. TYhe poop seems to be constantly coming out of her poor little butt.
I am hungry but I can't seem to find anything I can eat!!! My dh is gone and I am having a real hard time finding the ime to cook. Add to that all the diet rescritions and I am going slightly crazy. I am seriously thinking on forgetting all the diet things and to just eat. We do the fiengold diet also, so most convience foods are out for us, add the dairy and eggs to that and well, there isn't much. I am 8 pounds over pre preg weight. I am fitting into most of my clothes though. My dh is going to come back and wonder if I did actually have a baby. Don't worry, I can show him the deflated belly How do you get rid of all the extra skin
On the funny side, my dds haven't quite figured out that we already had the baby. I think it was anticlimatic for them. They are still coming up with names for the baby. Boy and girl names, since we don't know the sex...I have tried to explain to them that we already had the baby, she is already named, but they don't get it. They also are still playing midwife. One of them goes into labor at leadt 4 times a day.
We also had to cut my older dds hair. It was past midback and after too many fights over me having to brush her hair...it is at her ears now. She does like it though. I just feel bad since it has been growing out for over 2 years and it is pretty much because I had a baby that we needed to cut it. Okay done spilling all of this, going to eat some fake ice cream:
#72 of 131 Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisley View Post
Lotusdebi- How's Ethan these days?
I actually have a minute to type something out right now!
Ethan has been doing better, for the most part. He's just like his Daddy - a strong Alpha male type. And, it seems that part of the problem has been that he's competing with Daddy to be the man of the house, or something (he's FOUR! : ) So, Daddy has been talking to him about what it means to "be a man of honor and integrity" and Ethan's really picking up on it. He lectures baby Alex, "Do you want to be a man of honor and integrity, Alex? Mans of honor and integrity never use violence as the first thing." It's really cute. Ethan is still having some issues, but he has certainly been improving! I'm split on the public school/ homeschool issue now, since his behavior has been so much more manageable. I think I'll give it a few more months, and see how things go. And I'm talking with DH about putting Ethan in a martial arts class that really stresses self-discipline.
The baby is SO easy compared to Ethan right now!
Enjoy your TP stalking! That's one of my favorite things to do!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#73 of 131 Old 04-15-2007, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

nak

PHOOOEEY I am miserably sick with a cold. (Despite my carefulness and paranoia about germs.) somehow (luckily) dd didn't come down w/ this crappy thing yet but miles is speeding up his breathing and he's having rough times at night. i stayed up with him so he could sleep on me upright, but of course now i'm absolutely exhausted.

DD didn't get sick until she was 6 months old -- so i am a little nervous about ds being so young -- all the websites say to take an infant under 2-3 months to te doctor at the first sign of a cold -- but it's a virus, why do they say to take them in? He doesn't have a fever or anything, but he is stuffy and he is grunting again occasionally. i use the blue bulb syringe thing and we sat with a steamy shower (and i tried to do a drop of breastmilk in his nose but i hate nose drops and nose sprays for myself, so i'm so skittish i'm probably not even getting anything up there ) -- anything else i should be doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkg View Post
Oh Astromom, I totally get it, believe me. I wish I had some advice but I go through the same sort of thing. Stick to your guns, mama! You know what's best for YOUR kids!
Aw, thanks, and hugs back at you for having to deal with stuff like this too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Mama View Post
I'm so sorry mama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkprincess View Post
For those of you who are dealing/have dealt with reflux, at about what age did you begin to suspect reflux as the culprit? I'm having a hard time remembering how all this happened the first time around...
well we had symptoms showing it from the beginning..but it took a doctor to point it out because i had no idea. i hope you all on reflux watch can dodge the bullet

Quote:
I put A on the scale with me and I think he is pushing 15lbs now! Finding clothes and diapers that fit properly is tough. Poor me, I will just have to stalk the TP and Co-ops boards looking for some new deals. Off to see why ds1 is so quiet...
whoa, amazing! ds is 7 weeks and somewhere between 13 and 14 pounds and fills out his 6mo stuff and i mostly do 9mo stuff (especially since the cloth diaper system i have is pretty bulky) -- crazy --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flowers View Post
Can someone show me some info on foremil/hindmilk inbalance?
i don't know if this will help?
http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/foremilk.html

OK, no longer nak'ing, now dwacbak'ing (dealing with a cranky baby at keyboard) -- so I'm off for now. take care mamas.
#74 of 131 Old 04-15-2007, 09:36 PM

Hey everyone, I've been MIA for a little while, just recovering, dealing with adjustments, my mom is with us now and I'm usually pretty darn tired.
DD is having a bit of hard time adjusting to the new baby, but she is still loving and gentle with her. She is regressing, peeing in her pants all the time, being whiny and super-dependent for even the smallest tasks. any advice would help
My mom isn't as much help as I thought she might be, mostly due to her disabilities and physical pains which get worse every year. I thought she might be able to cook, but now she told me she hasn't cooked in 8 years : though she is practcally a chef and worked in a "training kitchen" teaching other people how to cook for many years. I asked her if she could fix a steak and she just backed off saying she forgot. Weird, huh? :
Also, she refuses to drive even a mile to go shopping, well ok, she's never driven in the US before, but the rules are all the same as in Germany.

I had a rough starting to bf again, and needed a LC to help me and now things are much better. Romea feeds only once at night after we manage to fall asleep maybe around 1 am or so, she feeds at 4am and then sleeps til 8am. I'm happy that we get a good stretch of sleep at night. I try to" top her off" by bf her a bunch before bedtime and it seems to work ok.

Sorry Astromom to hear about you guys being sick!! I think the reason they usually want to see the baby when s/he get sick is that it's just really hard on a newborn and there is a possibility that it might be a disease rather than just a cold and the difference might be hard to figure out in newborns.
Maybe you can just call your doc instead of going there??

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)
#75 of 131 Old 04-16-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flowers View Post
Can someone show me some info on foremil/hindmilk inbalance? I am one week two days into cutting out dairy and eggs. She is still congested and still spitting up. Though I think she is what is called a happy spitter. It doesn't seem to bother her. But I am wondering if any of this is milk/allergies, or if it is something else. I am looking forward to a little less pee and poop. TYhe poop seems to be constantly coming out of her poor little butt.
Valerie - I'm a little late, but: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html. You can skip around her site from there. The biggest tip-off to me aside from what she lists was greenish stools (green = too much foremilk). I had the same thing with ds1 and his poo was bright, bright green. Now with ds2 sometimes it's just a greenish tint or speck amongst all that orange - he's a constant pooper too! "Block feedings" have helped even the milk balance out (it's on kellymom somewhere). HTH!
#76 of 131 Old 04-16-2007, 06:44 PM

Astromom- my DD had a stuffy nose when she was just a week old or so. She got it from the cold my 4 yr olds had. My DS was sick when he was two months old- he got a cold from me, and it turned into bilateral ear infections. I'd say just keep a good watch over your babe and keep him home for awhile. The worst thing is to take him out around other germs while his immune system is already compromised. Other than that it sounds like you're doing all you can for him. Poor thing. I hope you both get well soon!

My little DD is 7 weeks old today! I can't believe she's growing up so fast. She's about 8 1/2 or 9 pounds by now. She was only 6 lbs 1 oz at birth, so she's growing slowly but surely. (I can not believe paisley birthed a 12 pounder!!!) My DD is so smiley and she's cooing to us all the time! She's so mellow and wonderful, we're having so much fun with her. I pumped this morning and left her with her daddy while I went grocery shopping with the 4 yr olds (an adventure in itself!), and she took the bottle just fine. My DS never took the bottle and would scream insanely without access to the breast, so this is a nice change. DH is enjoying it for sure!!!

Have a good day, Mamas!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#77 of 131 Old 04-18-2007, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well I am starting to feel better finally but ds is still congested. I'm pretty sure he is mad at me. he smiled at dd and dh the past couple days but just frowns at me.

Leah thanks for tips -- I am watching to make sure it doesn't progress past a stuffy nose. I was reading the websites over the weekend (when of course I have no access to my ped) and they sure know how to make a mama panic. Must stop Googling!

OK, strange question mamas -- where do you find socks?? I have Mr Chubby-Wubby here and I tried 6mo socks - no good, then 9 month socks - also no good, then I bought 12 mo socks - still too tight! They seriously look like they are cutting off the ciculation in his legs. (The ones I got are all from Target.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani View Post
DD is having a bit of hard time adjusting to the new baby, but she is still loving and gentle with her. She is regressing, peeing in her pants all the time, being whiny and super-dependent for even the smallest tasks. any advice would help
I would say make sure she is getting as much one-on-one time with you as posible, but hopefully someone can come on with better advice.

I'm sorry your mom isn't helping out as much as you were hoping -- hmmm instead of cooking could she spend her time playing with your older dd? Like fixing two problems at once? When my mom was here for a week I was thankful that she cooked but the biggest help was that she showered dd with tons of attention and it was great. I think that helped dd adjust. Although you said your mom has some disabilities so maybe she wouldn't be able to keep up with your DD1. My mom was able to entertain my dd by doing quiet things like reading 30 thousand books, but my dd is older and that might not have worked so well when she was 2. Good luck -- I hope your older dd adjusts quickly.
#78 of 131 Old 04-19-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
OK, strange question mamas -- where do you find socks?? I have Mr Chubby-Wubby here and I tried 6mo socks - no good, then 9 month socks - also no good, then I bought 12 mo socks - still too tight! They seriously look like they are cutting off the ciculation in his legs. (The ones I got are all from Target.)
I am right there with you!! I have 2 kinds of socks for Marin right now:
1. Falls off in 2 seconds
2. Cuts all circulation off

SO fun. :

My mom is coming next wed and I can't WAIT!!!

Ok, so has anyone else been forbidden to do anything (housework, etc) for 2 weeks after the birth? My mw actually extended my "restriction" to 3 weeks and I am going NUTS wanting to clean my house and do laundry!!! :
#79 of 131 Old 04-19-2007, 09:47 PM

I have the opposite problem with socks, all my kids have had horribly skinny legs. So diaper covers never fit and socks are always too loose.

I was restricted, but only bbecause my dh was leaving for a week, so she wanted me to staay on my butt for as long as i could. I understand it to a point, but it was actually hard to get back into the swing of things when he left. But it sure did feel weird not doing anything for two weeks. To o from doing 90% of the launfry and dishes and all of the cooking to nothing, I barely changed a diaper those ywo weeks either to having to do it ALL a little overwhelming.
#80 of 131 Old 04-19-2007, 09:54 PM

Yeah I hear you! I think the only thing more frustrating for me has been that all of a sudden my ilaws stopped doing anything as if they were on maternity leave too!! We rent the basement apt but share the kitchen. As soon as I had the baby - it was like they completely forgot how to do dishes!! I haven't said anything - but it's really pissed me off since they know how much I'm struggling with not being able to clean and now the kitchen is a PIGSTY!!! :

(Ok, residual hormones talking - they are in general really great people!! Just...not clean freaks like me. )
#81 of 131 Old 04-21-2007, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by risen_joy View Post
I am right there with you!! I have 2 kinds of socks for Marin right now:
1. Falls off in 2 seconds
2. Cuts all circulation off

SO fun. :
Yeah and what is it with those weird round socks -- y'all know what I'm talking about? They look like they'd fit my dog's paws better than my baby's feet. We got some of those as parts of some outfit sets that were gifts. They fall right off. The designers of baby clothes must not actually have babies of their own.

oh well, it will hit 120 degrees here soon enough and socks will be moot

Quote:
Ok, so has anyone else been forbidden to do anything (housework, etc) for 2 weeks after the birth? My mw actually extended my "restriction" to 3 weeks and I am going NUTS wanting to clean my house and do laundry!!! :
I had a one week restriction, then did too much the week after that and ended up reopening my tear, increased bleeding.. blah... i should have taken it easy the first 2 weeks instead of just the one, but I am like you and can't stand my house being dirty. Especially because I felt fine the second week. But overall it took me longer to heal so I would say stick with the restrictions! To stay sane I would clean one little tiny thing every so often, so like in the course of an entire day I would end up with a clean bathroom.
#82 of 131 Old 04-21-2007, 02:55 AM

Im so not happy right now.. I think I am coming down with mastitis.
Oh well after 2 weeks of thrush what can one expect.
Word to the wise.. NEVER be co-erced into ABX before you birth!

Uck...
#83 of 131 Old 04-21-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
But overall it took me longer to heal so I would say stick with the restrictions! To stay sane I would clean one little tiny thing every so often, so like in the course of an entire day I would end up with a clean bathroom.
(sigh) Yeah. At least the restriction is off on Wed...my next challenge will be (as you said) not doing too much once I'm "clear". : Good idea on tiny cleaning though!!

Yummymummy - what's ABX? I'm sorry you aren't feeling well!! Hope it gets better!!!
#84 of 131 Old 04-22-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
(sigh) Yeah. At least the restriction is off on Wed...my next challenge will be (as you said) not doing too much once I'm "clear". : Good idea on tiny cleaning though!!

Yummymummy - what's ABX? I'm sorry you aren't feeling well!! Hope it gets better!!!
Antibiotics.
#85 of 131 Old 04-22-2007, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummymummy74 View Post
Im so not happy right now.. I think I am coming down with mastitis.
Oh no! Mastitis sucks. I had it a couple weeks ago and I was able to get rid of it with heat and as much rest as possible. The best way I've found to apply heat it to take a wet washcloth, sqeeze out the extra water, microwave it in a bowl for 20 seconds or so, and then apply the washcloth to the breast while baby is nursing. Good luck and I hope you get rid of it soon!!
#86 of 131 Old 04-22-2007, 02:35 PM

A is rolling over!

He rolled over 5 or 6 times yesterday but I wasn't convinced (maybe a downhill slope on the bed, maybe I put him on his tummy with his arm too far under him so he just fell to the side, etc.). But no. He rolled over on the bed again today and then I put him on the baby gym and sure enough! He did the rocking on his belly from side to side and then four more rolls! He's going from tummy to back and I think he has fairly good control over what he's doing - he would rock to one side on his belly and take one hand off the mat and stayed there without rolling over.

I checked the baby book and this is supposed to be a fourth month thing. They say that babies that roll earlier are the active ones. Ds1 rolled over just before he turned 2 mos and he is definitely a handful. A will be 6 weeks tonight.
#87 of 131 Old 04-22-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
A is rolling over!
WOW!! That's incredibly Paisley! :

Sorry I've been MIA. All is pretty well here. The midwife weighed Edie this Thursday and she'd gained 2 lbs and over 3 inches since she was born (a little under 4 weeks ago). No wonder she's not fitting into the tiny newborn stuff anymore! We are finding a balance between doing enough and not overdoing it - we went to a conference yesterday for GLBT families and that was too much - it was all day long and Edie and I were exhausted by the day's end - and DW was pretty tired herself. So we're laying a bit low today.

Enjoying the warmer weather here has also been fantastic and Edie is interacting with us a lot more and for longer periods, which is fun. We also take her in the shower in a sling with us and I love that - she is so calm and happy when we do. I can't think of anything else interesting to say, sorry! But I am reading and glad this thread is here.
#88 of 131 Old 04-22-2007, 07:37 PM
jkg

Quote:
A is rolling over!
Oh my goodness! What an active little guy! My little one is starting to hold his head steady. He's just so adorable. My 2 y/o loves him--I have to keep reminding him that the baby has very tiny bones!!
#89 of 131 Old 04-23-2007, 10:33 PM

OMG, paisley, I can't believe your "little" man is already rolling over! Good for him!

Ivy is so alert and she's always happy! My mouth starts to hurt from smiling at her so much- but it's hard not to when she's smiling and cooing at me. : She lifts her head up and away from me to look around. When she's in the sling she'll hold her head up to look around, and when the wind blows in her face she can't catch her breath, but she keeps putting her face into the wind anyway! It's so funny. I think she just loves the fresh air- she definitely loves to be outside. And she loves to be walked! Sometimes I can't sit down because she loves the motion of being walked, especially in the sling.

My little one has pink eye. She got it from her 4 yr old brother. I got her some drops, but I still feel so bad for her, it looks pretty uncomfortable.

I can't believe that 2 months ago today at this time I was in labor. I was two hours away from pushing her out! And now she's this little person, curious and aware and beautiful. :

Happy belated earth day, Mamas. It was also my 7th wedding anniversary! DH and I went to dinner and a movie and we took Ivy along and she was an angel the whole time, even with the goopy eye.

Gotta go, crying babe...

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#90 of 131 Old 04-24-2007, 05:23 PM

Hey ladies! I wasn't very active in the DDC b/c we didn't have Internet for a few months, but now I'm back (when the DC let me, that is). I'm really struggling to be a mom of 2 little ones (both high needs, especially the toddler). I often feel like I'm drowning. DH was sure that John would be easy b/c his brother is so challenging (smart, active, AND emotionally needy), and for the 1st few weeks he was almost as easy as DD (baby cries, you pick him/her up, they stop crying, etc...), but now he has some sort of colic issue and is rarely content.

On a more positive note, John is adorable, and very happy when he's not miserable. He was an early smiler, and this usually makes life seem wonderful.

I am CD for the 1st time (I have my 1st load of dirty diapers in the wash right now), and it makes me feel a little bit better about myself for not wrecking the environment as much as with my 2 previous DC.

Biggest challenges:
- encouraging big brother not to unintentionally kill John
- not killing myself tripping in the wreck my house has become

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page