Anyone thinking about birth control? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-13-2007, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I keep trying to have this conversation and we're getting nowhere. I never realized finding a method acceptable to both parties would be so difficult.

How's the discussion going at your house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 04-13-2007, 06:48 PM

My husband missed the monthly class he has to go to to get a vasectomy. was it on purpose? Did he truly forget? Who knows, but all I know is it just either delays him getting any, unfortunately me too , or he best understand there is a possibility of irish twins. I have gotten fertility back very quickly after both girls. But if he makes the class in the beginning of may and can get an apt quickly, then we should be okay. I am figuring before 3 monthpp we are alright, so that gives us till end of June.
#3 of 24 Old 04-13-2007, 06:58 PM

We were vacillating between a diaphram & the Mirena IUD. Decided with a little babe, timing and sponteneity were important, and I had the IUD inserted a week ago. I started spotting yesterday, but so far so good. Not that we've needed it or anything...

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#4 of 24 Old 04-13-2007, 07:43 PM

: : : : :

This is my happy dance because Dh got a vasectomy 2 weeks ago!!!!!!!! He put it off for a year and in the process I got pregnant with #4. She is a month old today, and I love her to death so it all worked out in the end. But, I am sooooooooo happy that I never again have to think about birth control.
#5 of 24 Old 04-14-2007, 10:40 AM

I'm doing the Mirena IUD at my 6 week pp visit.
#6 of 24 Old 04-14-2007, 11:42 AM

My DH is also getting a vasectomy. I'm not particularly happy about it but I do think it's the best solution for us as we are both done with 5 children.

I have never heard of having to go to a class. Is this the doctors requirement? If so, there are other doctors out there.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#7 of 24 Old 04-14-2007, 12:41 PM

It is a military thing. They pay for it, they will also pay for a refersal, so they lie have to jump through all these hoops to actually get it done. He already had to go through a family plannin type thing also. It scares me to have a military doctor so close to my dhs parts but I am not sure we have any choice. Wish us luck I am really glad that I looked back on my post, that u was an i, which didn't seem appropriate
#8 of 24 Old 04-14-2007, 11:25 PM

I'm planning to get an IUD until we're sure we're done or decide for #3. (If we decide to stop at 2, DH will get a vasectomy) I haven't decided between the Mirena or a copper IUD yet - still have to do further research. But my CNM doesn't recommend them before 6 weeks post partum, and we're heading to china again around that same time, so I wouldn't have immediate follow-up care if needed. So I'll probably wait until we come back to the US for next Christmas to have it inserted. In the meantime, my fertility didn't return after DD until 19 months post-partum (after she had weaned, even though she was only nursing like 2ce a day for the last 2 months). SO I'm hoping for another long non-fertile period this time (with her it was very frustrating, b/c I was TTC or wanting to TTC much of that time)
#9 of 24 Old 04-15-2007, 02:12 PM

snip snip.

dh is planning on getting the big 'V'. I'm a little nervous about it. We are young still. BUT I cannot do hormonal bc at all and the other methods don't seem "safe" enough for us. He needs to get it done soon though...
#10 of 24 Old 04-15-2007, 03:16 PM

I'm still trying to convince DH to get a vasectomy. I'm sure he'll agree in the end, since the other option he has is condoms - and he HATES those! He agrees with me that I shouldn't have to be the one responsible for birth control anymore, since I've done all the birth control, plus 3 pregnancies and two births since we've been together. It's all on him now. He just has to get over his fears...
We're definitely done having kids in any case. He knows I'll terminate if I get pregnant again, and he really doesn't want to have to deal with that.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#11 of 24 Old 04-15-2007, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

I want to get a copper IUD, but Dh basically refuses to let me. I've had some severe issues with my reproductive parts including several large cysts rupturing and surgery. Basically, he thinks that I'll perforate and require another surgery and he can't handle the stress of worrying about me. But he also refuses charting as a method of TTA.

I refuse latex (makes me smell something awful) and spermicide (makes me itch). Dh adamently does not want a vasectomy. I can respect that. I would never get a tubal, so I cannot force him to get surgery when I wouldn't.

Dh's solution is lambskin condoms which just freaks me out. I just don't think I can feel sexy with that in my vagina. ::shudder::

I always get my fertility back pretty quickly so we had better come up with a solution soon...
#12 of 24 Old 04-16-2007, 04:54 PM

DH had a vasectomy in February. Everything went VERY smoothly. (WildFlowers - DH is also military and we had it done at Walter Reed, everything went just FINE!) I am really happy that DH had a vasectomy done and he has had no issues what so ever. He even has a *weird* testicle that isn't properly formed and that healed with no problems.

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
#13 of 24 Old 04-17-2007, 07:06 PM

My doc has suggested the "breastfeeding birthcontrol" and then an IUD at 6 months PPD. She won't do it before then but I also don't know what "breastfeeding" pill she was talking about. I was in so much pain from the mastitis that I didn't care to ask!!!
#14 of 24 Old 04-18-2007, 01:13 PM

This hasn't come up in our house. I didn't get af until dd was 16 months old. I'm hoping the same thing's gonna happen this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4imprints View Post
My doc has suggested the "breastfeeding birthcontrol" and then an IUD at 6 months PPD. She won't do it before then but I also don't know what "breastfeeding" pill she was talking about. I was in so much pain from the mastitis that I didn't care to ask!!!
Does she mean the fact that breastfeeding usually is pretty good birth control by itself? (Sorry about the mastitis )
#15 of 24 Old 04-18-2007, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm on Micronor. Its a pill safe for bf'ing.
#16 of 24 Old 04-18-2007, 05:02 PM

Yeah, my first thought on "breastfeeding birth control" was LAM - the fact that if you are exclusively nursing a baby less than 6 months old, and you haven't yet had a period, your chances of conceiving are ~2% - not 0%, but more effective than many barrier methods.
But on second thought, with a doctor talking, he probably meant the minipill - lower-dose progesterone-only hormonal contraceptive.
#17 of 24 Old 04-19-2007, 09:28 PM

It'll be condoms for us : until we find something else. I'm open to barrier methods too. I'm prone to ovarian cysts to Mirena was out for me. I loved the patch when I was on it but it is not bfeeding friendly. Ugh. I hate condoms.
#18 of 24 Old 04-20-2007, 04:49 PM

My dh refuses to get a vastectomy, so I am thinking of talking with my MW about an IUD. I need to do some more research, though. We had used IVF for a year before we TTC, but I am not trusting it now.
#19 of 24 Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 PM
kdf

We will be using condoms until i get my period back and we will be charting again. It worked after my ds for 4months until we wanted to get pg again. Hoping it will work again.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#20 of 24 Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 AM

LAM with the possibility of spermicide/withdrawal later if we get nervous and then I'll be seeing a doctor to get an IUD around 6 months pp. I've heard so much that the risks of perforation or other problems drop after 6 months and I'm ok with waiting that long. DH would get a vasectomy now but I want to wait it out and see how we feel in 4 or 5 more years, we are still so young (21 and 22).
#21 of 24 Old 04-23-2007, 05:38 PM

Anytime we talk about it I burst into tears. Most likely dh will get a vasectomy but when who knows?? I thought about an iud but don't like that fact that I could get bad menstraul cramps. We have been doing nfp for over 14 years and could just continue but it would be nice not to have to stress about an unplanned pregnancy.
#22 of 24 Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 AM

I was thinking of getting the copper IUD but still need to do research on it. I didn't even know about waiting 6 months till some of you mentioned it here.

Maria
stay at home mom to 2 girls 11/20/03,3/09/07 and 2 boys  2/28/05 and 11/16/10 and one on the way 1/13/12

#23 of 24 Old 04-26-2007, 08:07 PM

I got the Mirena at 8 weeks pp. So far so good. I'm spotting at the moment, but no cramping. Many women with the Mirena actually end up not really having a period after a few months which would be just fine with me!
#24 of 24 Old 04-29-2007, 02:30 AM

I am leaning towards the Mirena IUD, and plan to talk to my midwife about it at my next appt. DH was going to get a vas. and is still willing, but I just don't have a good feeling about it for him. I do look forward to sex without pg worries

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page