coconut oil makes me feel awful. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-17-2008, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, am I the only one? I've been trying to eat more coconut oil. Aside from all the health benefits, it's supposed to be great for combating yeast, which is important to me.

I've heard that some people experience die-off/detox symptoms from coconut oil, so I guess that could be what this is. But I've been trying to include it in my diet for awhile now, but every time I've tried (usually every couple of days), I've wound up sooo sick--nauseous, chills, awful stomach cramps--that I'm too terrified to try again.

If I keep at it will I be happy I did?

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#2 of 20 Old 11-17-2008, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just because coconut oil is good for most people doesn't mean it's good for everyone. Every *body* is different, yk? If it always makes you feel ill, then don't eat it.

That being said, what brand are you using? And are you positive that it is the oil?

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#3 of 20 Old 11-17-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
So, am I the only one? I've been trying to eat more coconut oil. Aside from all the health benefits, it's supposed to be great for combating yeast, which is important to me.

I've heard that some people experience die-off/detox symptoms from coconut oil, so I guess that could be what this is. But I've been trying to include it in my diet for awhile now, but every time I've tried (usually every couple of days), I've wound up sooo sick--nauseous, chills, awful stomach cramps--that I'm too terrified to try again.
Do you know if you might possibly be allergic to coconut oil? I know that some people say that oils are devoid of allergens, but my DS tested allergic to coconut and he had never had regular coconut, just CO. I think unrefined cold oils are more likely to cause allergic reactions (if a person is allergic) than refined oils.
#4 of 20 Old 11-17-2008, 04:25 PM

I totally got that response at first. I got nasty headaches, nausea, diarrhea, and I can't remember what else. And yet, now when I use it, even if I wait a long time in between, I'm fine with it. What I did to get used to it, was to eat a tiny amount at a time, like literally a 1/8 teaspoon or less, and then just gradually increase every day, never missing a day at that point, unitl I had worked up to a tablespoon or two. That's what worked for me. Unless you are allergis to other coconut products, it seems extremely unlikely that you would be allergic just to coconut oil.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#5 of 20 Old 11-17-2008, 04:52 PM

do you have a problem with other fats? Is this the first time you have tried to eat a large amount?

Yes, it can cause a massive detox, but if it doesnt' feel right back off. You can try it in smaller amounts and see how that goes, but it is possible that it is an allergy in which case continuing to expose yourself isn't going to be helpful in any way.
#6 of 20 Old 11-17-2008, 07:11 PM

i've been wondering the same thing for myself. i've increased the coconut oil i've been eating to about a dessertspoon a day - which isnt' much. but i've been drinking fresh coconut water that i bought in a carton and i've been having lots of that and since i started that i've been feeling quite sick, nauseus and dizzy and wondering if it is to do with that (if its not that then its a bug i suppose). i suppose the water is different though to the oil because it dosn't contain much fat if any? i'm pretty sure i'm not allergic to it as i don't have any allergies - just intoelerances.
anyway - just to say that i sympathise with you - i was hoping that it would be good for me too. if things don't get better i'll stop drinking the water and eating the oil and see if it changes.

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#7 of 20 Old 11-17-2008, 08:26 PM

allergy/intolerance is splitting hairs IMO. The only difference the layperson is interested in is how and when they react. If you react, you react. Now, I don't believe that it would be overtly damaging to continue eating it, but why do something that makes you uncomfortable, you know?
#8 of 20 Old 11-18-2008, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback--I've been pondering this all day now.

I don't know if I have an allergy to CO. I'm not allergic to coconut, or other coconut stuff (milk, etc.), so it would seem strange to just be allergic to the oil. I eat alot of fats otherwise, with no trouble at all--lots of butter and animal fat.

This isn't the first time I've tried, or more than I've ever tried--just put a tablespoon or so in a smoothie at lunch, and now, at 9pm am still feeling it!

I think I probably oughta back off a bit, like you all have said--but the truth is, if CO can help me and my DS with our yeast issues, it is TOTALLY worth a week or two of queasy/diarrhea/detox--we've been dealing with this for months. I just have no real way to tell if what I've been feeling all day is real detox, or just ickiness that's getting me nowhere.

Any thoughts there?

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

#9 of 20 Old 11-18-2008, 01:29 AM

I don't know but I wanted to sympathize. Actually, earlier this year, in the summer, I was eating a tablespoon of coconut oil at a time right off the spoon and had no problems whatsoever. I didn't use it for quite some time, and then last night decided to start back on it and took a spoonful and felt nauseous all night. Then I put a large tablespoon in a smoothie for DS and I to share this morning--he was fine, and I got stomach cramps like nothing I've ever felt before, nausea, and *TMI ALERT* I actually pooped my pants from diarrhea--thank goodness we were home at the time. IT WAS AWFUL. I felt like I was dying.

I'm not having any more CO for a while, anyway.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#10 of 20 Old 11-18-2008, 01:37 AM

If you feel that CO is right for you, start with minuscule amounts. I don't know what that is for you, but it could be 1/4 teaspoon. Just work up to it. Do you tolerate it better if mixed in with other foods? Like, spread on toast?

But, if even in small amounts it doesn't sit well, back off form it for some time, see if you can't do some gut healing and then go back.

If you can have coconut milk, iirc, there are about three tablespoons of oil in a can. Not 100% on the amount. And there is more fat in the cream, natch. You could always make some sort of coconut milk something for yourself daily. Though CO is way cheaper than this..

firefaery is right though, there are probaby better ways than feeling ill. Detox sucks.
#11 of 20 Old 11-18-2008, 02:25 PM

I personally am really skeptical of "die-off/detox" symptoms--those symptoms can just as easily be caused by a food intolerance or by food chemicals. The "die-off" symptoms I had when I was trying to get rid of yeast or heal my gut were never die-off symptoms, they were caused by food chemicals. Coconut is very high in naturally occurring food chemicals and IMO it's more likely that you're reacting to the food chemicals in it that having detox symptoms. I don't know if coconut oil is higher in food chemicals than other parts of the coconut. I don't remember if I ever reacted to coconut oil, but I know if I start drinking coconut milk or eating dried coconut I start having digestive problems due to all the food chemicals. My DD is actually intolerant to coconut, too.
#12 of 20 Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
allergy/intolerance is splitting hairs IMO. The only difference the layperson is interested in is how and when they react. If you react, you react. Now, I don't believe that it would be overtly damaging to continue eating it, but why do something that makes you uncomfortable, you know?
i've been eating and drinking coconut because i love it! being on such a strict diet its the one thing i was really enjoying the taste of! its so annoying if its the one thing that is also making me feel sick! i didn't eat any today and i still had some stomach problems so i might have a bug as i've got a cold aswell.

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#13 of 20 Old 11-18-2008, 08:52 PM

hopefully it's not!
#14 of 20 Old 11-18-2008, 09:03 PM

i react very uncomfortably with raw coconut oil -- indigestion, very loose stools, headaches and tingly mouth

so do 2 of my kids

i switched to 76 melt coconut oil, just google it(it's been pre-heated, but not refined with the use of other chemicals)

it's organic, food-grade and super cheap from some online soap making supplies shops

i have no problems with it now, plus the taste is way milder which is a plus for me and my kids
#15 of 20 Old 11-19-2008, 12:20 AM

Can I ask why you're eating it if it disagrees with you? That's usually a clue that you should stop.

Besides, unless your ancestors are from a tropical region, I highly doubt they were eating coconuts. Figure out what fat they would have been having and stick with that.

2 happy kids makes for a happy mother.

#16 of 20 Old 11-19-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
Can I ask why you're eating it if it disagrees with you? That's usually a clue that you should stop.
i did stop for a while, then i learned about 76 melt. ray peat, ph.d., an awesome nutritional expert, recommends the 76 melt as an alternative to those who can't tolerate the raw oil. google him if your interested, he's written lots of interesting articles.

i believe most plant foods shouldn't be eaten raw, because of the small quantities of poison they contain. when veggies are cooked properly, they become more easily digestable. digestion may not be someone else's most important issue, but it's mine.

in my style of cooking coconut oil is indespensible mixed with butter as a saute oil -- it's multi-purpose, cheaper than any lard i can get, and much more neutral tasting than tallow.

i like to spread it on sandwhiches and i mix it half and half with peanut butter to increase the saturated fat.

i also like it's thyroid promoting properties.
#17 of 20 Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva View Post

Besides, unless your ancestors are from a tropical region, I highly doubt they were eating coconuts. Figure out what fat they would have been having and stick with that.
Because we're fighting yeast around here--and coconut oil is supposed to be great for that. I did 1 tsp. last night without any icky side effects, so I might keep at it that way.

#18 of 20 Old 11-19-2008, 05:29 PM

makes me so nauseous! can't determine if it makes me ill otherwise, as last time I thought it did, turns out it was Garden of Life's new Vitamin Code multivitamins. I'll try CO again soon, if I can get it down. I find it so foul!! Not the taste but the oiliness. I take my CLO in capsules (thank god!). Strange since I LOVE fatty foods!
#19 of 20 Old 11-21-2008, 09:53 AM

You get stomach cramps and diarrhea from coconut oil?

Something for me to think about for DH. I made something last night with coconut oil and he complained about gas/loose stools. His mom happened to talk about how he always had the opposite problem as a kid - as in she fed him 1/2 glass of prune juice every morning till around 2nd grade. I use coconut oil all the time, but he might have gotten extra in that dish.

Maybe he needs the detox?
#20 of 20 Old 11-22-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
Because we're fighting yeast around here--and coconut oil is supposed to be great for that. I did 1 tsp. last night without any icky side effects, so I might keep at it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I personally am really skeptical of "die-off/detox" symptoms--those symptoms can just as easily be caused by a food intolerance or by food chemicals. The "die-off" symptoms I had when I was trying to get rid of yeast or heal my gut were never die-off symptoms, they were caused by food chemicals. .
I worked with an amazing woman to deal with our yeast problems - now, it wasn't REALLY bad yeast, only symptomatic in my breasts and DS's mouth and bum/penis - when we were nursing the first year or so (we're still nursing). She had studied the microbiology of yeast in extreme detail, and the die-off reaction was documented.

I just wanted to suggest that you may need to use other yeast-fighters FIRST, or along with, the CO. We did Fungal Defense and then Primal Defense and are now on a great probiotic called Bio-Kult; we also eliminated all sugars/refined grains/sweeteners/juice/dried fruit from our diet. Just wanted to offer those thoughts in case it could help your yeast fight! Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page