Lecithin substitute in bread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, in my constant effort to make a great loaf of bread, I've still not tried dough conditioners (they look to be made of all chemicals ) or lecithin. We have soy issues in our house and I try my best to avoid any soy product.

My question is this-- since there is a high amount of lecithin in egg yolk, could I add that to my dough and get the same effect as the lecithin granuals? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Eggs are good. I find myself, that sourdough bread has a better "shelf-life" than regular bread. Oil/fat also helps enhance dough as well.

Keep in mind that the perfect bread is different to each person and also for the purpose of its use. Bread stick, sandwich bread, rolls, bagels etc. They are all perfect in their own way.
#3 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that's true. My ultimate goal is to find a consistant sandwich loaf for kids and hubby. Some of my bread has turned out tasty, but crumbles to bits when you try to slice into a thin enough slice to make sandwiches (big hunks with butter are yummy though!). I'm trying to make sprouted spelt bread, as my kids are not fond of sourdough. In doing this, I'm using 100% sprouted spelt without any white flour, so it can get dense. I use gluten and knead the c**p out of it to get a nice rise, but they're still really crumbly.

I've read that lecithin (and other chemical dough enhancers) help with the rise and crumble factor; hence the egg/lecithin question. I'm probably going to try to put 1 egg (whole) in my next bread and decrease some of the water and see how it goes.

Another question-- anyone substituted milk for water? What's the result?

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
#4 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 PM

I've been baking sourdough for the past two years but now have been asked if we can have non-sourdough. Sourdough doesn't seem to crumble like regular yeast bread. Anyway, in my quest for the pertfect sandwich bread I have found that egg and oil/fat help. Another big thing that helps is soaking the flour in buttermilk for several hours. Buttermilk (or thinned out yoghurt) is a conditioner. To soak I just mix the flour and liquid required in the recipe to just wet the flour, no kneading, and the cover and wait for atleast 7 hours (I don't use sprouted flour). When ready I add the rest of the ingredients and procede as usual. This I think makes a big difference in texture and crumblessness for me. Just IMHO.
#5 of 6 Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by syllymom View Post
I've been baking sourdough for the past two years but now have been asked if we can have non-sourdough. Sourdough doesn't seem to crumble like regular yeast bread. Anyway, in my quest for the pertfect sandwich bread I have found that egg and oil/fat help. Another big thing that helps is soaking the flour in buttermilk for several hours. Buttermilk (or thinned out yoghurt) is a conditioner. To soak I just mix the flour and liquid required in the recipe to just wet the flour, no kneading, and the cover and wait for atleast 7 hours (I don't use sprouted flour). When ready I add the rest of the ingredients and procede as usual. This I think makes a big difference in texture and crumblessness for me. Just IMHO.
I do use sprouted flour, but I going to try to soak a little (maybe overnight) in kefir/milk, then use an egg when I mix. We'll see...maybe I'll try this for tomorrow!!!!!

#6 of 6 Old 11-24-2008, 05:27 PM

Milk or yogurt gives a softer bread. You can certainly use egg to enrich bread - just replace some of the liquid. It is supposed to give a soft and cakey effect.

If you are having trouble with crumblyness then you could be using too much flour or baking too long. Also you could try reducing the oven temperature slightly.

I like to use mashed potato in my sandwich bread - makes it moist and helps it keep well. I don't know if it would turn out any different substituting sprouted spelt for wheat though. Might be worth a try while you are experimenting!

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page