Do you ever feel like you chose the wrong "pill"? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know I've felt similarly for years, but lately I've seen a real shift. And the shift seems to be growing in strength and speed and the blessings in all the "breakdown" (of health, environment etc.) is that knowledge is being passed around like wildfire. The internet is helping too because we are not just relying on the people of power to tell us what is going on. We can find out for ourselves and for short cash people can start networks and cooperatives and share knowledge.

I really think things are changing and the knowledge of real food will not be lost. It can't be because we know it and I see the people in the "know" growing as people start to question why they are sick and why they feel like crap.

I have hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 03:47 AM

I don't evangelize. I don't really care whether all of humanity goes to pot. Honestly, there's so little I can do. If people ask my opinion about a given processed food, I just tell them what I think: "That's not food. It's industrial byproducts shaped and colored like food, with a teeny bit of food thrown in to convince us to eat it. But I won't."

Generally, I try to encourage people by showing that it IS possible to buy organic on a lower-middle class income, that it IS possible to bake enough bread with a baby and an toddler and a husband, that it IS possible to cook good food and even eat decently when out and about.

Also, I do not think that there is any panacea for illness. People get sick. People die. They ALWAYS got sick. They ALWAYS died. Maximum one person didn't die and that wasn't because he got enough kefir, you know? Sure eating well should give you an edge but it's not the cure for cancer. Diabetes- possibly. But they had parasites in the Americas LONG before the Europeans showed up, and do you think they were eating Snickers?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 06-09-2009, 07:02 PM

I try not to preach but sometimes....well it can be really hard. Especially when a coworker I know said "But your body needs sugar...." I was speechless for once (didn't last long). I tried to tell her that her body doesn't need sugar but she just shut down and said "Don't even talk to me." Um, ok. Whatever. I wish I had a group of people to share this stuff with but I don't know anyone IRL. I find that I get really "into" something and that's all I can talk about for awhile which really isolates me socially. And I don't like to have my DD go over to other people's houses since their idea of food is Burger King and I have my limits & BK/McD are it.

Of course I just got done making chocolate cake (it was with a 50/50 coconut flour/almond flour cocoa powder, I did add some white sugar and honey but only because I accidentally added too much salt and had to fix it somehow...it's really good).
Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
Notice all the nice, wide faces on the whopper virgins? Not like the narrow, collapsed faces on the folks who enjoy the burgers regularly....
SUCH a good point...

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 06-10-2009, 12:05 AM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post
I try not to wallow in self pity, but look all around me every day at everyone who eats junk and is somewhat healthy, and then back at myself who has been into TF for 3 years and it is MY gut that got messed up. And I'm like, how did this happen since I eat better than literally everyone I know?
I feel your pain. My kids have both had bad baby teeth with very weak enamel (adult teeth are good so far, I had bad baby teeth too), and I was so hopeful that our excellent, nutrient-dense diet for 4 years before having child #2 would have ensured he would avoid the same tooth problems as his big brother. No such luck, they're horrible, he's 3 and will need dental work under sedation soon. It just kills me that some people I know whose kids eat SAD have perfect teeth, and it's hard sometimes to keep perspective about how healthy my kids are otherwise (no allergies, asthma, rarely sick, etc.). Different people have different manifestations of problems past or present, and yeah, sometimes bad stuff just happens no matter what. I find precious little acceptance among TF-oriented writing out there (or any other dietary philosophy, for that matter) for the fact that good food doesn't necessarily insure physical perfection.

There is no secret ingredient.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertlycrunchy View Post
I wish I had a group of people to share this stuff with but I don't know anyone IRL. I find that I get really "into" something and that's all I can talk about for awhile which really isolates me socially. ...

Of course I just got done making chocolate cake (it was with a 50/50 coconut flour/almond flour cocoa powder, I did add some white sugar and honey but only because I accidentally added too much salt and had to fix it somehow...it's really good).
OMG me too! I am part of an online group of local natural moms that I loooove, and tend to keep sticking my foot in my mouth about all this crazy TF stuff. They are going to really get sick of me!

Was your cake good? You have GOT to share with me! DD's B-day is in 2 weeks and I have no idea what I'm going to do about the cake. She really needs to be grain free so that would be awesome!!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
leila1213 - why did you remove your siggy? i have a question about the book too (if you don't mind)...are there any suggestions on an appropriate diet for a dairy-free child? i went to the website and couldn't find anything about dairy allergies. the book looks absolutely wonderful, though!! right in line with a lot of my beliefs.
I don't know how I didn't see this till now. Anyway, I removed my siggy b/c the site promotes the sale of the book, so the mods put the kibosh on it.

I can't recall dairy info specifically, but I'm pretty sure he does have some suggestions in there about different diet restrictions. I lent my copy to my sister, so sorry I can't check it out for you.

User Tag List