Have you lost weight with the coconut oil? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 325 Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Decided to try the CO & ACV. Love the CO, use it like butter and for cooking, even straight up; I can get up to 2 tbsp daily, and it does seem to have suppressed the sugar cravings. So far, no heating effect, TG.

But I can't get the ACV down straight. Terrible bellyache. I put a tsp in my 1 ltr water bottle and swig it, but that's a maximum of 2 tsp a day. How much do I really need? Will this acid drink affect my teeth? Do I need to take it before meals, or is it OK spaced out during the day?

My very skinny teen daughter has been using the CO as well -- she can't afford to loose weight. Should I encourage her towards butter and more carbs?
#302 of 325 Old 05-12-2010, 12:40 PM

Do yourself a favor and don't take the 2nd tbsp of CO at night. It took me almost 2 weeks to figure out it was the reason I wasn't sleeping at night

Epsom salt baths sound like a good idea to help the detox along.

In regards to drinking ACV straight, I don't do it either. It can burn the esophagus quite badly to do that. You could try putting a tsp in a small amount of water to dilute it.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#303 of 325 Old 05-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Now i have something new to try too! I have some VCO in the cupboard so I guess I"ll give it a shot. It sounds like in smoothies works? I make smoothies every day and wouldn't mind adding a little more healthy goodness to them. I'm supposed to take CLO daily too (I'm past the throwing-up-when-I-take-it part but still don't like it). It goes down best with a tablespoon or so of the smoothie. I put a bit of smoothie in one of my daughters tea party cups, add the CLO and toss it back, lol.
I think I might be ready to give this a shot!
#304 of 325 Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 PM

I just slathered a tablespoon of raw/virgin coconut oil on a half piece of banana bread, it was delicious. :) If I'd put butter on that thick it would have been gross, but the coconut oil melts away as soon as it's in my mouth, and doesn't leave a greasy feeling in my mouth. 

When I was pregnant I used to put 2 TBSP of coconut oil in my smoothies and it was great, and also seemed to cure some skin itchiness I was having. :)

married to my best friend, stillheart.gif britt, since 8.12.2004 ...homeschooling mama to my girls: avi born 8.3.05, my ryan leanor 1.5.08, azia 9.2.09, and #4 a BOY! due in november 2011.  homebirth.jpg

#305 of 325 Old 03-20-2012, 03:02 PM

I have only gotten through page 8on this thread, so the answer may already be out there....

Is extra virgin CO just as good as VCO? I have the extra virgin and putt some on a banana, very yummy!

Mom to Izzy biggrinbounce.gif (12/04) and Violet 2whistle.gif (9/07). love.gif  saynovax.gif treehugger.gif

#306 of 325 Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

I told her the secret to weight loss, of 1 Tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and cold pressed coconut oil each. Take it once in the morning and once before bed. 

so just to get this straight: one tbsp of ACV and one tbsp of coconut oil 2x day is the way to go? should it be on an empty stomach? how long before breakfast? is it ok to have some water with it?

#307 of 325 Old 06-15-2012, 04:27 PM

This seems to be an old thread/message. Was just wondering if any weight was lost. Thxs

#308 of 325 Old 06-15-2012, 04:33 PM

I started the coconut oil about a week ago, I use Extra Virgin, and put a tablespoon in my coffee in the morning. I'll be honest, .... I hate it. The taste makes me want to barf, but I'm doing it anyway for the health benefits AND I really need to lose weight in a bad way. I bought some cranberry/apple juice and plan on melting the oil and putting it in there to dilute the yucky taste. I will say that I'm very excited about the weight loss potential.

I will say that I have noticed my cravings for sweets have decreased and I'm really happy with that. I'm still eating sweets just not a ton like before.

#309 of 325 Old 06-15-2012, 07:49 PM

If you mix it w OJ it tastes great.  I've found that this is the best way.   Also different brands taste different.  IMO Barleens is the best tasting.

#310 of 325 Old 06-17-2012, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the advice........ I pray this works. I did some internet surfing and all over the place was "ACV does not help you lose weight, it is an old wives tale" etc. How come its working for the women on this board but not outside of it?

I wish I could get over this coconut taste, its so awful. Mixing the two really makes my stomach churn. I used to use a brand of organic coconut oil by Jarrow that had very little coconut taste to it, however it wasn't Extra Virgin, does it make a difference? Also, what exactly does the ACV do to help you lose weight. I've been pounding the coconut oil and I feel like I'm gaining weight not losing.mecry.gif

Oy vey.

#311 of 325 Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

yes i did loose about 8 pounds in 6 days or something, but that was with having NO starch whatsoever (no rice, bread, potatoes, beans etc... )

i had insane amounts of cooked veggies at lunch, with melted coconut on top (i like it with salt better) and a protein (actually a combo of veggies and proteins at every meal in fact)

no cravings which felt amazing (i had sort of PTSD about feeling never satiated during pregnancy number 2)

however, since then i have had some health troubles (un-related), two operations, long standing medication (starting last August, won't finish before next September) and have gone through chemically induced menopause

and some of the drugs i'm given make me want to eat anything in sight

+ i sleep poorly due to stress so i just cannot function without carbs these days

am back to the same weight i was about 18 months ago (at least no more ...)

i now know that if i can lower my stress level and sleep better (am not there yet)

THEN I'll be able to go without carb whilst eating a variety of veggies and proteins drenched in Coconut oil

(which I order in 2.5 kg buckets on the internet these days ...)

#312 of 325 Old 06-18-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Scrunchy View Post

Thanks for the advice........ I pray this works. I did some internet surfing and all over the place was "ACV does not help you lose weight, it is an old wives tale" etc. How come its working for the women on this board but not outside of it?

I wish I could get over this coconut taste, its so awful. Mixing the two really makes my stomach churn. I used to use a brand of organic coconut oil by Jarrow that had very little coconut taste to it, however it wasn't Extra Virgin, does it make a difference? Also, what exactly does the ACV do to help you lose weight. I've been pounding the coconut oil and I feel like I'm gaining weight not losing.mecry.gif

Oy vey.

I've only wanted to lose about 5 lbs and the coconut oil did help w some cravings like the pp said.  For weight loss I would look inot the Joel Furhman plan. His way of eating is basically how I eat most of the time for most of my life. I've been the same weight since I was in my teens and and now am in my 40's.  Steady 125 lbs.     Eating the high nutrient foods and filling the majority of your plate w veggies and salads.   I've read his book and see him on PBS alot.  Was even on Dr Oz.  I've never followed his diet but like I said it works and is what will keep you healthy. 

#313 of 325 Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM

I found that drinking coconut water every day was just filling me up and I was consuming extra calories. I wasn't substituting it for anything else though so I was essentially  just adding it into my daily calorie intake maybe that's why?

#314 of 325 Old 06-26-2012, 02:51 PM

ACV is a mild clease so it can cause symptoms of "die off" like post nasal drip, diarrhea, acne, rashes, fuzzy brain, achy muscles or joints, etc,.  It's a good thing as bad stuff is leaving the body.  It's possible that your scratchy throat was some kind of die off.  If you keep drinking ACV, it should go away if that's the case.  If it's because you have a sensitivity to ACV, you'll keep having those symptoms.  Die off can come in waves as yucky stuff leave the body.

#315 of 325 Old 07-11-2012, 05:00 PM

I've been taking coconut oil for at least a month and have  not lost any weight. Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?

#316 of 325 Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 PM

I add coconut oil in my daily smoothies. I don't see any other way for me to consume it on a daily basis> It tastes good. I never heard of people loosing weight using coconut oil. it has a lot of calories even though it's good fat.

[Admin note: edited to remove website linking, which is not permitted]

#317 of 325 Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The only way I could see coconut oil helping you lose weight is if you were substituting it for food that you might otherwise be eating.  I read about a diet plan that involved taking olive oil as a way to give your body calories to keep your metabolism up, but not being enough of a meal to trigger the appetite to consume a whole meal.  Or something like that, I'm not quite sure.  Supposedly it boosts metabolism, but I don't know how it does that other than giving you calories to burn.

#318 of 325 Old 08-14-2012, 05:33 AM

Coconut oil helps our bodies burn fat better and more effectively, as well as utilize food we consume for energy, health, and repair. Coconut oil and weight loss are compatible.

private label vitamins

#319 of 325 Old 09-06-2012, 10:41 AM

I have a silly question...

You take the co in the morning and evening, as well as the asv... But, how do you eat with it? Is this along with regular meals? Do you calorie count? If you take more co, how do you adjust your eating?

I have about twenty pounds i have to lose for health reasons, and i am nursing as well. I really need to know.
#320 of 325 Old 09-07-2012, 02:45 PM

subbing (can't make the 'subscribe' button work with my browser!)
#321 of 325 Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyato View Post

so just to get this straight: one tbsp of ACV and one tbsp of coconut oil 2x day is the way to go? should it be on an empty stomach? how long before breakfast? is it ok to have some water with it?

#322 of 325 Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Bought a weighing machine 10 March 14 under iHealth App which auto records my weight with my body weight... 

I was horrified with my weight of 70kg with body fats of 36%.

Since then I watch out my diet,  no food after 8 pm,  goes into my infra rad sauna every 2 days. Within 10 days lost 2.5 kg but body fat has never goes down !

After that,  I realise the weight never goes down since.. Determine to push it through,  I read about co. So on 25 March 14 I had 3 tbsp of co.

My main aim is not body weight - I am determine to pull down my body fats.  Had my friends who exercise regularly - all been saying they have never succeeded in pulling down their body fats level.

There is no much side effect like headache or dizzy.  Think no diarrhea is due to I had just down a cleansing detox programme which cleared so much of my inner toxin.  About the crave of sugar after drinking co,  tell us guys,  just try drink 3 tbsp of oil at one shot,  your appetite is definitely killed on only on sugar but on all food. 

Guess what within a day, I have a good news and a bad news  :  for the first time I saw my body fat drops to 34% - but my weight jumped up 1.5 kg ! Think when drinking co in such manner,  must take it as a meal replacement and take note not to eat full meal.

For the next 2 days,  I hands off - frighten my weight will lost control if I start drinking co.

But continue reading after these 2 days,  think is too early to make a conclusion... I decided to give a full week trial and shall take co in the morning with oats,  light lunch and dinner... actually will fine tune during trial

Shall update you guys 

#323 of 325 Old 03-27-2014, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Please pardon me if this has already been asked, as I just discovered this thread 6 years later.

I take approximately 2 tablespoons of virgin CO straight out of the jar daily anyway for my thyroid, now I will start taking it morning and night with ACV. Must it be taken with food?

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#324 of 325 Old 03-30-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

i don't know about taking it with ACV

i did loose a bit of weight with coconut oil ... but only on the weeks when i could totally eliminate straches from my diet (i had mounts of vegetables, litterally, on my plate, with one to two large soup spoon full of coconut oil on them, together with some protein, = totally not hungry) .... but then if find it hard to stick to a no starch diet ..... so that's not been a durable plan for me for loosing weight ... am now doing a mixture of Harcombe and 5:2 diet .....

#325 of 325 Old 06-01-2014, 07:03 PM

I put CO in oatmeal - usually one tablespoon - both kids and I love it.
ACV is a tough one. I used to take it in a shot when suffering from really bad heartburn. It worked but taking it was no fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page