Have you lost weight with the coconut oil? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 325 Old 01-06-2009, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone replied to me earlier and said it's working even though they combine it with food. I'm going to have to give that a try, because I don't know if I can down another cup of the straight stuff.

Gotta say, I skipped it last night and this morning because I just couldn't handle it, and I was hungry all day! I didn't eat horribly, but I ate quite a bit more than I do when I'm taking my CO/ACV. On days that I take it, I usually am only hungry enough for 2 meals and a snack. And very few sugar cravings.

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#122 of 325 Old 01-06-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemama View Post
I'm glad to be back on track too! I just feel so much better. Every morning after eating sugar the day before I felt sooo sick and yucky. I didn't even want to get out of bed. But, it didn't stop me from doing it all over again:. Holiday goodies are just too tempting for me. I'm kind of glad that I did go on the sugar binge though, just because it showed me once and for all that sugar is bad bad bad for me!

Tonight I'll be going to my first ballet class in a while. I love ballet and wish our studio held more than one adult class a week. I'm sure I'd be allowed to take a class with the older girls, but I'm so out of shape it would be really embarrassing lol. What have you been doing for cardio? I really like to walk/jog the neighborhood because we have lots of awesome hills but it's sooo stinkin cold!

Congrats on weightloss and hard work

Thanks! I use my eliptical most days. Sometimes I walk/jog in the neighborhood while the kids ride their bikes. Even less often I use a DVD like Walk away the Pounds or The Firm (I hate the firm, they go so fast and don't explain the moves) and sometimes my bellydancing dvds. Mainly though I just like my eliptical, I can control the resistance and I like keeping track of how many miles I've gone. Ballet would be so fun! I used to love going to my bellydancing classes, since we moved I don't have a babysitter and my husband travels about 50% of the time so no classes for me.
#123 of 325 Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handzfull View Post
So...does the CO/ACV have to be taken alone/on an empty stomach? I've been drinking it twice a day as often as I can and am having luck. I've lost about 8-10 pounds in just 6 weeks. I'm very encouraged. But I'm wondering...it sounds like it'd be okay to combine it with other stuff. I would like to drink a green powder drink each morning (tastes nasty - the Maker's Diet Super Food powder) and thought, rather than drinking two rather untasty drinks right off the bat each day, maybe I could just combine them and be done with it, ugh! What do you all think?

Go ahead and combine, it will still work. You're doing great, 8-10 pounds is awesome!
#124 of 325 Old 01-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macheetah View Post
After reading this thread I starting putting a heaping tablespoon in unrefined CO in my coffee each morning - it's been about four mornings and I've experienced an effect of feeling full, not craving sweets (and with AF here no less!) and not nearly as hungry as I normally am - all day long. Is that what causes the weight loss?
I have done that before... it seems to help and I really liked it. I keep going back & forth with committing to the coconut oil, but I think I will try adding 2-3 Tbs and doing the ACV for a month, along with my new workout plan, and see how it works for me.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#125 of 325 Old 01-07-2009, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handzfull View Post
So...does the CO/ACV have to be taken alone/on an empty stomach? I've been drinking it twice a day as often as I can and am having luck. I've lost about 8-10 pounds in just 6 weeks. I'm very encouraged. But I'm wondering...it sounds like it'd be okay to combine it with other stuff. I would like to drink a green powder drink each morning (tastes nasty - the Maker's Diet Super Food powder) and thought, rather than drinking two rather untasty drinks right off the bat each day, maybe I could just combine them and be done with it, ugh! What do you all think?
I think you'd be fine doing that. I was taking them both straight the first time I started this, but right now I've been taking my CO in oatmeal and smoothies and it's working about the same.

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#126 of 325 Old 01-07-2009, 11:29 AM

I usually put the CO into a smoothie. I can get it down, but no one else in my family can. They don't even like finding little CO balls in their smoothie (happens when you add a bunch of frozen fruit). I kinda like that, for some odd reason.

Going to start doing this just as soon as I get home.
#127 of 325 Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 PM

Is taking the co along w/the acv while breastfeeding ok?
#128 of 325 Old 01-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRose74 View Post
Is taking the co along w/the acv while breastfeeding ok?
Yes

#129 of 325 Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemama View Post
Yes
Thank you Mama!
#130 of 325 Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Well, I'm doing a shot glass of ACV in the mornings, followed by a good sized teaspoon (dinner spoon) of VCO. Another ts. in midmorning, midafternoon, and after kids' bedtime.
It's mostly eliminated my sugar cravings (the days I have less I want sugar more) so I've had somewhat little sugar for the last week. I'm trying to limit myself to on piece of sourdough bread each day, but have I do have a standard serving size of rice or potato with dinner.
I was drinking kombucha, one 16 oz container lasted five days since I only take a swing or two each day. I also take a swing or two of my cold ACV tea (recipe on previous page) each day.

And.......drumroll.......I've lost 10 pounds since Jan 1.

I don't think I'll continue to kombucha for two reasons: 1. I just read on another thread that it's not good while nursing and 2. It's kind of expensive since I'm not making it. But otherwise, It's all good!
#131 of 325 Old 01-09-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaEli View Post
Well, I'm doing a shot glass of ACV in the mornings, followed by a good sized teaspoon (dinner spoon) of VCO. Another ts. in midmorning, midafternoon, and after kids' bedtime.
It's mostly eliminated my sugar cravings (the days I have less I want sugar more) so I've had somewhat little sugar for the last week. I'm trying to limit myself to on piece of sourdough bread each day, but have I do have a standard serving size of rice or potato with dinner.
I was drinking kombucha, one 16 oz container lasted five days since I only take a swing or two each day. I also take a swing or two of my cold ACV tea (recipe on previous page) each day.

And.......drumroll.......I've lost 10 pounds since Jan 1.

I don't think I'll continue to kombucha for two reasons: 1. I just read on another thread that it's not good while nursing and 2. It's kind of expensive since I'm not making it. But otherwise, It's all good!
Congrats on the weight loss mama!

#132 of 325 Old 01-09-2009, 02:47 PM

I've been reading this discussion and really enjoying it! I heard about the co + acv a while ago but never looked into it more. After reading this discussion and needing to loose baby weight in order to fit into a bridesmaid dress in May I am ready to get going. My main goal is to cut out my sugar (I have major cravings & attacks - I'm pretty sure I have a sugar addiction) and to loose my last 10 lbs of baby weight. I'm also interested in all the healthy pluses to coconut oil as well.

So I guess my main questions are:
1. Is there one main source where all this info. is coming from. I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but I'm wondering if it is mainly coming from a book or website? I'd just like to do a bit more research so I know what I'm doing and why.

2. Are you supposed to start off slow... like 1tsp./day and then work up to 4 TBSPs? How fast do you work up? Is it important to do both acv and co?

I guess I'm looking for specific steps/specifics so that I can understand better and then vary from those specifics (if that makes sense?)

also, I got my mom going on this before I knew much about it and sadly she's somewhat given up b/c she thought I was saying to take the co in solid form! ICH! So I want to give her more specifics so that I can encourage her with the correct information this time.

Thanks in advance for the help mamas!:

Wife to my wonderful husband, Mommy to Aiden and Charlie, Audrey and baby Kate.
::

#133 of 325 Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM

bumping cause my VCO finally came in today
#134 of 325 Old 01-13-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMarshall View Post
After reading this discussion and needing to loose baby weight in order to fit into a bridesmaid dress in May I am ready to get going. My main goal is to cut out my sugar (I have major cravings & attacks - I'm pretty sure I have a sugar addiction) and to loose my last 10 lbs of baby weight.

me too! i really would like to lose this baby weight before my sisters wedding in may. so far i've just been using the co for cooking, but i use it for EVERYTHING. i haven't weighed myself yet, but in the last couple weeks i've been getting lots of comments that i look like i'm losing weight.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#135 of 325 Old 01-13-2009, 02:11 PM

While I'm not crazy about the coconut oil I can get it down but that ACV is AWFUL. I put it in some juice this morning and that helped some. I'm only taking 1 teaspoon to start out with I don't know if I'll make it up to 1-2 T or not! If it helps me lose weight it will be worth it though =)!!
#136 of 325 Old 02-01-2009, 05:12 PM

I can't do ACV. It just makes me feel terrible.

Mixing coconut oil with other stuff should be fine. I do it all the time. I cook and bake with it whenever I can (brownies made with coconut oil are awesome!).

I've just started taking it again, and have been putting 1 tbsp. in my tea every morning. I like the taste of it, but don't like to chug down a whole mouthful of oil, so I stir it in really good (emulsify it?) and just drink it with my tea (which has milk in it too, and a little rapadura). For me, it's quite tasty. I'm gonna start with that for now, and maybe try another tbsp. at night on a banana or toast or something later (thanks for the suggestions!).

As for CO curbing sugar cravings, I think a lot of that has to do with the candida-fighting effect of the CO. Candida yeast thrives on sugar, and CO helps fight it off, so it will help reduce your sugar cravings.
#137 of 325 Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

So glad this is working for lots of folks...doesn't seem to be meshing with my chemistry as I had hoped. Totally not losing...evening gaining! And its been a bit now. Sigh. Too bad as I had hope...

My skin and hair look great though!

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#138 of 325 Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 PM

I've been consuming CO regularly, usually in smoothies. I'm actually turning into one of those people who feels they can't lose weight no matter what they do. I have to start wondering if it's the fat. ? I've never been as heavy as I am now, and at 17 months postpartum I'm pretty annoyed. Before I was thinner than ever by the time my babies were 12 months. Granted I know I need to eat less and exercise more, and I'm older now (but not old ), but let's just say I don't think I'm eating more than I have been used to eating for years and I just keep gaining. It's really frustrating. Do you have to take the CO alone? Also I was just at a Weston Price talk where the speaker claimed that taking vinegar really messes with your good bacteria. :
#139 of 325 Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 PM

So I read this thread, and most of the Hibernation diet thread...

...I can seriously eat a spoonful of honey and CO at night and get skinny?! This must be too good to be true

It sounds like a bit of an expensive experiment, though. I'm a little worried about that part.

Curious to see how this works out.
#140 of 325 Old 02-02-2009, 12:23 AM

dh & i were just lughing about how much fat im eating right now. ive never eaten so much fat in my life.... and i'm consistently losing 1-2 pounds a week.

nak.

if i could consistently remember to take the CO first thing in a.m.- id lose more, i know it.

and im not doing the vinegar.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#141 of 325 Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM

Just wanted to jump in and say that I have been doing this for about 2 months now and have lost about 23 lbs. I have about 6 billion more to lose though so it's not that remarkable. I seem to have plateaued? I am doing 1 TBS of each 3 times per day. Any thoughts on what I should do now? I really do love it because I have SO much more energy and don't crave sweets which is amazing.
#142 of 325 Old 02-02-2009, 12:45 PM

That's great! Have you tried the tablespoon of honey before bed? I do both semi regularly and have recently lost 5 pounds of the 12 I gained over two years.

You might also try giving up more grains like wheat. If you're sensitive you may drop a lot of weight from it.
#143 of 325 Old 02-02-2009, 12:49 PM

My apple cider vinegar tip: Have a salad every day with lots of ACV in your vinaigrette and coconut oil if it appeals to you (I usually use olive oil but sometimes I do half melted coconut oil). IMHO it's a painless way to have your vinegar.
#144 of 325 Old 02-02-2009, 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=Brookesmom;13112907You might also try giving up more grains like wheat. If you're sensitive you may drop a lot of weight from it.[/QUOTE]

Over the last several months, there have been a few people in our local WAPF group who have eliminated or greatly reduced carbs. They are all looking & feeling great. For one individual with blood sugar issues, this has meant milk too. She has cream, but has greatly reduced her milk intake. We are all different & carb reduction may or may not work, but it's something to try if you've hit a plateau.
#145 of 325 Old 02-05-2009, 02:28 PM

Do you have to take the ACV too?? Is just taking the CO good enough??

Also what are considered "grains" for giving up?? Just wheat?? What about rice, oats and corn?? Are they ok to use??

Thanks!!

Teri
Homeschooling AP Traditional Foods Mama to 3 Girls!

#146 of 325 Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 PM

Being a nutrition educator at a university for natural medicine (Bastyr University), I see a lot of eating "trends" eating practiced. Rather than elimination of foods (gluten, dairy free) or taking supplements to remedy symptoms or produce quick results, it is important to occasionally look at the bigger picture - in this case digestive difficulties and weight gain.
We don't work hard enough physically to warrant eating a lot of products made with flour. Hard physical labor also build digestive fire. Our society simply doesn't force us to use our bodies in order to provide food and shelter anymore.
Our diet needs to reflect our lifestyle:
  1. Very low intake of flour and sugar
  2. Half the amount of food we eat needs to come from fruits and vegetables (lower calories, increase fiber and nutrients)
  3. A digestive element at every meal - this could mean taking a pro-biotiv or a tablespoon of ACV OR it could be accomplished by making sure each meal has something raw, fermented or cultured as a part of it (like kim chee or salsa).

Be well!
Cynthia Lair

Cynthia Lair

Assistant Professor and Author of Feeding the Whole Family

www.cookusinterruptus.com

#147 of 325 Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM

I've been incorporating 1T to my fruit/kefir smoothies more regularly and am paying more attention this time. I probably wasn't really having it daily. Anyway I do feel now like it does a number on my sweet craving. That helps.
#148 of 325 Old 02-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
I usually put the CO into a smoothie. I can get it down, but no one else in my family can. They don't even like finding little CO balls in their smoothie (happens when you add a bunch of frozen fruit). I kinda like that, for some odd reason.
To help prevent chunks of co in our smoothies, I typically emulsify the co with the egg yolks and banana that we put in ours. Then I add the yogurt/juice/milk and the frozen fruit. It makes it nice and thick - no one would know the co was in there!
#149 of 325 Old 02-10-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
To help prevent chunks of co in our smoothies, I typically emulsify the co with the egg yolks and banana that we put in ours. Then I add the yogurt/juice/milk and the frozen fruit. It makes it nice and thick - no one would know the co was in there!
Anyone try this with just banana? I don't have a source of eggs right now that I trust raw.

I'm not doing the CLO to lose weight per se (it would be great but I'm nursing a 5 month old and her older siblings right now and milk supply is very important) but I find that adding it helps stabilize my blood sugar throughout the day. Pretty neat!
#150 of 325 Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
wow, now i know why everyone was recommending that people start slowly with the co. i got overly excited to trial it this morning ( dd was allergic to it at one point many many months ago and i was hoping we could give it another go), and i took 1 tbsp straight on an empty stomach. i was sooooo nauseous. i could def lose weight if i'm too sick to my stomach to eat anything! holy crap, note to self...slower!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumama View Post
I started using CO a few years ago, and I had to start at 1/8 tsp per day--I went for 1 tsp at first and got soooooooooooo sick.

There are some good articles out there on coconut oil and losing weight, like this one: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...se_weight.html
I have been doing CO in my hot buckwheat cereal and on toast for a couple weeks. I tried it plain (in tea) this morning, for the first time.

I spent the afternoon projectile vomiting. I also had CLO and raw milk this morning, so I am not totally sure what did it. I guess I will try the smoothie thing. The thought of oily tea ever again makes me want to hurl.

I just feel lucky I made it home in time to puke in the comfort of my own bathroom.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page