Have you lost weight with the coconut oil? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2009, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So about an hour ago I downed my first tablespoon of ACV. Then I made some hot cocoa and melted 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in it.

I'm going to weigh myself tonight and see what happens. I've decided on a 2 week goal. I'm just going to eat what I want/normally would but add the ACV and coconut oil and see how much I weigh in 2 weeks.

I'm a little nervous about adding the extra calories but I also got a blender so I can do smoothies with the coconut oil for breakfast...you wouldn't mix in the ACV with it would you? Wouldn't it cause the smoothie to curdle?

Karne and Gwedolyn's babies...how is it going???
Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
Coconut oil is just the fat whereas coconut butter I was talking about is the ground up flesh. I guess coconut butter is also a term for coconut oil, but this company uses the term butter like nut butters, which is confusing. It's like the difference between peanut butter and peanut oil. 2 tablespoons have 18g of fat and also have sugar, protein and fiber. I just wasn't sure if that would work in the same way because of the presence of other macronutrients.
Sounds a lot like the coconut cream concentrate I get from Tropical Traditions. I'm not sure if it would work the same because the fiber would slow things down, but it still has the beneficial oils in it, so you could give it a try.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:13 PM

I've 'lost' 4lbs in the last 4 days. I say in quotes, as I fluxuate up to 5&6lbs of water weight, so I will not know if this is actual weight for a week or so.

I've been melting the CO in warm water, with a little bit of honey. Its actually not bad - not as 'greasy' as I imagined it would be.

I've mostly been eating the same. Not too much of a difference, though a little less carbs & a little more consciously. Still craving sugars.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:53 PM

do any of you who do this chart? I imagine if it affects your metabolism it would affect your BBT. Just wondered if anyone has seen such a change.

signature currently in transition
Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 PM

Okay, last night I think I was warmer...who knows.

This mornings experiment didn't go quite as well...the smoothie was: orange juice, non-dairy whey powder, ACV, and coconut oil. I think things were okay until I added the frozen strawberries. Yeah...the coconut oil congealed and maybe even frozen into a big blob which I then had to fish out and melt in the microwave. The end result (and it could be the cheapo blender's fault) had chunks/chips of coconut oil, bits of frozen strawberry, all in a whipped up orange whey vanillay foam. I did drink it though. Not the best smoothie I've ever made but not the worst. The part I just choked down though at the end had big clumps of oil and strawberries...gag!

Anyway...

I have done BBT tracking before...I'll do it again with my next cycle (if it's here in time) and see...

Jenne

02/11/2011   

Old 04-09-2009, 10:17 AM

I always put a TB or more of CO in my smoothies. To keep it from clumping up, I put the CO in first, drizzle in some honey (maybe a tsp.?, not any more than that). Add a banana and any fresh fruit, some liquid (milk, yogurt, juice, etc.) and whizz all that in the blender. I add any frozen fruit while the blender is already going. I tend to let my frozen fruit thaw partially, just because my blender handles it better (need one of those vitamix blenders that can handle anything, but they are too $$ for my blood right now). I don't usually get any clumps in my smoothies.

I've been taking about 1TB of CO in the morning with my ACV. I am just chugging it back, as I can't imagine getting it down in a tea. I haven't been super hungry; it has been pretty easy to cut back on how much I'm eating at each meal. Now, if I could just resist the snacking... very hard when I am home with 4 kids who want to snack all day!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:43 AM

Ok...why are we taking the acv? I am taking it for my varicose veins...but I am not sure about all the rest of you. and....I don't have my book and my mommy can't find it!! I am very curious to know.

I think I have dropped another pound. But I have to be honest. I am getting the case of the queezies and I am having to nibble on things that aren't so healthy to keep me from ....:Puke. I hope I can keep eating right. I actually returnd the cod liver oil today, because just even looking at it made me want to....yuck.

Does anyone else, just down the coconut oil by the spoonful? I actually like to have it melt in my mouth. Though tonight I might have to skip the acv and the co.....yuckers.....I hope it goes away tommorrw (who am I kidding?).

Now, I think I might have to do something different to lose more weight. Like...oh I don't know, exercise? .
Old 04-10-2009, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
OK, I'm in! I've been taking CO and ACV for the last three days, not very consistently... twice I did honey and ACV hot drinks, which were surprisingly pleasant - pretty much like a hot lemon drink. I've been taking the CO by mixing it into a paste with honey and eating it off a spoon - charming, I know, but I don't think I could stomach it straight or melted in a drink.

Can't say I've noticed any changes yet, but it's only been 3 days and I haven't managed to take much (a teaspoon a day, maybe?). I'll try to get some unrefined CO next time I'm near a health food shop. Mine is refined - it doesn't have that coconutty taste. It's still better than nothing though, right? Ditto my non-organic non-'the mother' supermarket ACV? And my store brand el cheapo creamed honey?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Banned

Okay, I'm glad to have found a use for all the CO I have left over from making bath product gifts . I took some today with banana-- yummy! I would be jazzed if it helped with my terrible metabolism (I have the cold feet a night thing) and weight loss!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM

So I have really been consistent--despite going out of town--and have been taking 1 tablespoon of ACV and CO each morning and night. I *think* I have lost weight--my Easter skirt fit and my collar bones are showing more. I'll weigh tonight and see how much (if any...) has budged from the scale...

02/11/2011   

Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 PM

I have been doing this since sunday (after reading this thread) so about 3 days and I have lost 1 lb. so far.

I am really excited to see if this works. I am trying to lose 30 lbs and get back to pre baby weight.

I am BF my 7 mo. old and I have noticed that his breath smells a little like vinegar. Is this something you other bf moms have experienced? He still likes the taste so no worries there!

I have also noticed that I feel hotter all the time! Hope that means my metabolism is revving up.

I also don't feel hungry as much and when I do feel hungry I want REAL food, not just anything.

We have also been struggling w/thrush after a round of antibiotics when I had strep throat in Jan. so I am hoping the CO will help.

I would love to hear updates from those of you who started this last year.

Yay! Excited about the possibilities!

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM

I've been consistent since I began making the simple and yummy coconut bark (just melt, add cocoa powder, a little agave or stevia, maybe nuts, then freeze). I don't even think I'm eating very much and I still haven't lost, so I don't know. I do feel like my metabolism has really slown down since I had number 3 and got into my 30s, and was hoping that how I was eating might effect that. Oh well, gotta exercise more.

I do think my sweet craving has diminished massively. Now maybe any filling, healthy high fat would do that, and maybe I wasn't getting enough. It's also kind of a sweet treat that is better than the real thing, so if I am wanting something sweet a bite of it seems to do it.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn's babies View Post
Does anyone else, just down the coconut oil by the spoonful? I actually like to have it melt in my mouth. Though tonight I might have to skip the acv and the co.....yuckers.....I hope it goes away tommorrw (who am I kidding?).

Now, I think I might have to do something different to lose more weight. Like...oh I don't know, exercise? .
I got mine last night in the mail!yay! I actually think I'd prefer eating a blob to putting it in the drink. I made a smoothie that didn't really blend up the CO, so I just chewed it. It's not bad. I think it's less appetizing in a tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
I've been consistent since I began making the simple and yummy coconut bark (just melt, add cocoa powder, a little agave or stevia, maybe nuts, then freeze). I don't even think I'm eating very much and I still haven't lost, so I don't know. I do feel like my metabolism has really slown down since I had number 3 and got into my 30s, and was hoping that how I was eating might effect that. Oh well, gotta exercise more.

I do think my sweet craving has diminished massively. Now maybe any filling, healthy high fat would do that, and maybe I wasn't getting enough. It's also kind of a sweet treat that is better than the real thing, so if I am wanting something sweet a bite of it seems to do it.
Glad you said your sweet cravings have diminished. That's really what I was hoping for - carb craving death.

For me the problem is salty carbs, and I'm noticing that today (after have some at breakfast and some right before lunch) that I don't feel ravenous yet. I'm usually snack hunting at 2, so that's a good sign.

AS for the bark, just melt the CO, as cocoa powder, sweetner and then what, pour it onto a plate, and freeze it? I'm so interested in that baby!

Old 04-19-2009, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
the first week that I took VCO and ACV three times a day, I lost 4 lb

... but then I got sidetracked the following week, was not consistant and have been badly attracted to unhealthy carbs, salty and greasy ... which were not leaving me a satisfied feeling after eating ... and then I put back on the LB ...

am going to try to stick to it now, especially as I'm now making my shakes more runny and baught straws .... today I tried putting a little hot water first, then disolve the VCO before slicing my fruit in it and using the hand held blender & used previously defrosted raspberries too so only fridge temperature like the milk kefir I added = CO no lumps in it !
Old 04-20-2009, 01:15 PM

sorry thought I answered! I'd use wax paper to cut down on the mess. I pour the melted CO with cocoa powder/sweetener into a wax paper-lined baking pan and then lift it out when it's solid. Then I just wrapped it up and kept it in the fridge. I'm not a big fan of stevia (I read about making it with xylitol but don't even know what it is) so I tried agave the second time. THat was yummier but remained a little gooey and made it a bit messy. I may have used too much or not mixed it well. I'm new to agave too, so maybe that just doesn't solidify at all once in the fridge? I also added chopped nuts and unsweetened shredded coconut, but that's optional. At min. at least it satisfies my dessert craving after a meal with no refined sugar. I have been able to resist birthday cake and chocolates and Easter candy though! That usually never happens.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:38 AM

Hazelnut

thank you for the recipe for the chocolate bar.

I havne't been taking the co because ....I just couldn't down it anymore.

So I mixed the;

liquidfied coconut oil
stevia
almonds
coco powder

into a lined baking dish ( I used a 9" cake pan")

froze it...

ate it (well a part) very nice!!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:49 AM

Around here, we call that fudge, and I can't keep my DC out of it. I make a nice-sized pan, and it is gone within about 3 days, max. It does satisfy my dessert cravings, when I get those, and it doesn't have refined sweetener, so I don't feel so bad about it.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:51 PM

down another pound.

Hey, I wonder if I should add some butter to the chocolate bar recipe...hmmmm and peanutbutter.

Today for brunch we had masoor dal with cream on top...oooo so good.
( I got it from mothering recipes.) I wonder if coconut cream would be nice too?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Ok, can't say I've yet lost any weight with CO. (In part due to a weekendlong slumber party). But I have noticed something nice. My skin is not so dry anymore! Also the skin under my cast does not feel funky and all sticking to my cast.

I do find I'm far less hungry with CO. My problem is the eating of things because "I'm bored" or out of habit. Which is bad news when there's free pizza down the hall. I am not hungry, per se, but found myself eating it.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:51 AM

lovely salad

strawberries
fresh spinach
walnuts (roasted)
feta cheese
purple onionss (chilled)

viagarette

strawberries (pureed)
balsamic vinegar
ac vinegar
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 AM

Yum! I have some strawberries in my fridge. Think I'll make that salad.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM

I've been doing the CO and ACV for a week (I skipped one day) and I feel like my clothes are fitting a little better. Also, my skin is looking lovely! I started washing my face with honey at the same time, so I think both the CO and honey are paying off.

I was starting to get a little revolted by the texture of the solid CO, particularly when taking it at night. But the recent heat wave took care of that - it's liquefied! And swallowing a tablespoon of liquid oil doesn't disgust me for some reason.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:28 PM

How has maintaining the weight loss been for the mamas who posted in December?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavieenrose View Post
I've been doing the CO and ACV for a week (I skipped one day) and I feel like my clothes are fitting a little better. Also, my skin is looking lovely! I started washing my face with honey at the same time, so I think both the CO and honey are paying off.

I was starting to get a little revolted by the texture of the solid CO, particularly when taking it at night. But the recent heat wave took care of that - it's liquefied! And swallowing a tablespoon of liquid oil doesn't disgust me for some reason.
HOw are you using honey to wash your face? I have heard it is good for the skin.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:57 PM

I put about a tablespoon of honey in a silicone baking cup, mix it with about a teaspoon of baking soda, and then use it like a face wash in the shower. I just spread it around my hands a little then scrub my face with it. With the recent heat here I've been feeling my facial skin was a little dry afterward, so tomorrow I will do just honey and no baking soda. My skin's texture has always been fine, but I notice a definite improvement in the clarity and glow. I'm really prone to breakouts and I haven't had one in the week I've been washing with honey! I also applied tea tree oil to stubborn leftover spots, morning and night (but I only wash my face in the morning). As I said, I don't know whether to thank the CO or the honey, but my skin is looking uncharacteristically terrific.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 PM

We bought a 5 gallon container of Coconut Oil several months ago! and use it for all our cooking and baking needs. I love it. Also makes an awesome lubricant (separate container of course. ).

Apple cider vinegar is nice in a glass of water, it hydrates you and is cooling so good in the heat. A spoon in a glass of water. You could add a lil raw honey too if you like for taste.

I have lost 10 lbs, and am back to my high school weight! without really trying. I think the coconut oil could have helped a lot, but I can't say for sure.

Funny, but I tried a raw vegan diet without grains for 9 months and gained so much weight! and now eating a "traditional" foods diet I have finally lost weight, which I am about to get back as a baby!

Peace.

Earthy Mama treehugger.gifmarried to my best friend with a sweet,joy.gif Spark of Love born 1.2.10, expecting hola.gif 3.4.13!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:19 PM

I decided to try this a week ago after finding this thread. I started with just the CO twice a day, and only added the ACV about four days ago. No weight loss so far, though I'm not paying too much attention. I'll know when I get back into my favorite jeans!

Has anyone else had this symptom? The very first evening I did both CO and ACV, I felt just fine. Had dinner as usual, no big deal. Then I had a half glass of chocolate milk plus some Kahlua, and about an hour later I got nauseous. I didn't throw up, and it finally went away so I could sleep. Had both the next morning with breakfast, felt fine all day, then did the same that evening, had dinner, felt fine. Later on I had a large frozen yogurt. It only took about 20 minutes this time before I was very, very nauseous, and it lasted much longer this time. Ugh. Is there something happening with the ACV and sugar I should know about? I skipped it last night so I wouldn't risk being sick for class. The obvious next step is to NOT have sugar in the evening, which I will try today. If it still happens, I think I'll have to forgo to ACV from now on. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience?

9/2011 items decluttered
Old 04-29-2009, 04:40 PM

I'm new to this forum, and have read the whole thread, I have purchased my vco and acv and took 1 tsp of each this morning ( will increase slowly) my question: what else does this plan involve, that can't be all there is to it, can anyone direct me to a website for the whole diet. Thanks
Old 05-01-2009, 03:06 PM

I started taking 1 T of CO twice daily 3 days ago, and I'm having the total opposit effect. I'm bloated, constipated, and have gained 2 lbs in 3 days. Anyone have a similiar experience? We eat a pretty healthy TF diet. I have 15 lbs to lose w/a 8-month-old nursling. I was fine with not losing to have the benefits of CO, but I don't want to gain!!!!

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:47 PM

After researching a ton over the last few days I was able to answer my own question. CO attacks candida and can cause bloating, constipation, headache, lethargy, etc if you have a candida problem - which I know I do. I have lost a few pounds, and I feel terrible, but I'm fighting through this so I can hopefully overcome 15+ years of digestion issues I've had.

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

User Tag List