Have you lost weight with the coconut oil? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 325 Old 05-21-2009, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
I've known about coconut oil for awhile but have been lazy about getting back into taking it.
I had gotten a large container of refined coconut oil for my skin and hair. I've been using it for cooking too. I'm also starting to do oil pulling.
For actual internal use, I bought two large containers of EVCO. I was cringing at the thought of taking it since my last batch of EVCO was disgusting. I tasted some of the new stuff yesterday and omg...: yum!
Word to the wise, if you decide to take coconut oil, stay far away from Now brand. I ate the last of my Now brand coconut oil that I had neglected for awhile (we're talking a year here) and remembered why I stopped taking EVCO. It tasted like soap : it was horrible.
The new stuff is from Gold Top Organics. I love it.

I tried the coconut oil and avc together and my throat felt scratchy afterwards too. Almost like I was having heartburn.

FWIW, I made my first batch of fermented carrot ginger last night I may become fully TF one day

Funny that you said that the Now brand was awful. My cousin just told me she loves it. I'll have to tell her. It really is important to try different brands. I had the scratchy throat too I think at first but when I mixed the 2 together in a large glass of water it was fine. The great thing is that I woke up w a very sore throat the other night and by early morning it was gone. I'm sure it was the ACV and CO. My son had a really bad cold for weeks and it turned into a cough but luckily thats all I got.
Re- the benefits of ACV just google it and you will see tons of stories about weight loss and its amazing benefits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 325 Old 05-24-2009, 06:03 PM

Ok, here is some info on apple cider vinegar. I guess I have to go for the "good stuff" and buy the raw stuff.

Did anyone try my recipe? Oooooo it is soooo good.

No, I am not losing any weight. I have gained two lbs but then again I am pregnant

http://www.ghchealth.com/natural-hea...cider-vinegar/
#243 of 325 Old 05-24-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn's babies View Post
Ok I tweaked the bark recipe yet again.

Ok, I just kinda of eyeball it so...this is NOT exact
1 tablespoon of stevia
1/4 or less of cocoa powder
1 cup of peanutbutter (natural)
1 cup of coconut oil

warm in a pan to all liquidy. Pour into a 9X9 glass pan then sprinkle whole almonds over the whole thing. Place int he frig until firm enough to cut into squares (little ones about 1" by 1".)
I did something like this but added honey instead. Just mixed all the ingredients together plus a little ground up oatmeal. They were awesome and we ate 2 batches already. I rolled mine in coconut (shredded) as well. I'm craving them right now. I actually made smaller batches so we wouldn't eat so many.
#244 of 325 Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 PM

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and don't follow a TF diet per se, but I have been reading through this particular thread and it really peaked my interest. Coconut oil has been recommended to me by a few sources as a way of perking up my not so great immune system. The fact that it can help stimulate thyroid function and assist in weight loss definitely has me interested in it as well. I have been doing the 1 TBSP of coconut oil and AVC for a few days now, but I have been having MAJOR stomach upset. Tons of nausea and almost an acid reflux type of feeling. Very sour and acidy type feeling, not fun. I am wondering if this is the type of tummy troubles you all experienced and if it went away. I don't know if maybe I should cut the does of each in half, or if it could be not related to the AVC and coconut oil at all. I have been just downing each back to back and following with copious amounts of water, don't know if there is a better way of taking it so that it doesn't upset my tummy.
TIA,
Wytchy

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#245 of 325 Old 05-24-2009, 10:57 PM

Does anyone have the link to the research/article about gut microbials and obesity vs. different gut microbials and thin body stature? I'm curious about the coconut oil role related to killing off candida and allowing the gut micbrobials to rebalance. I do believe that it is most beneficial to provide replacement probiotics to recolonize the gut, when consuming large quantities of CO.

I do want to caution anyone who has had or has mercury/silver tooth fillings that the lauric acid of coconut oil kills off candida. Candida binds with mercury to protect the body from excess mercury circulating. When we kill off the candida, it releases mercury into the blood circulation to redeposit into the brain, fetus, breastmilk and other organs. Unless bound with something like Vit C, selenium, clay, zeolite. The "reactions" such as headache, brain fog, lethargy, nausea could be the die-off and toxins from the candida and/or mercury circulating.

Panserbjorne is the resident expert about this, I believe.

Please comment on Susun Weed letter titled "Candida is a helper. It is keeping you healthy!"

Pat

I have a blog.
#246 of 325 Old 05-24-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Does anyone have the link to the research/article about gut microbials and obesity vs. different gut microbials and thin body stature? I'm curious about the coconut oil role related to killing off candida and allowing the gut micbrobials to rebalance. I do believe that it is most beneficial to provide replacement probiotics to recolonize the gut, when consuming large quantities of CO.

I do want to caution anyone who has had or has mercury/silver tooth fillings that the lauric acid of coconut oil kills off candida. Candida binds with mercury to protect the body from excess mercury circulating. When we kill off the candida, it releases mercury into the blood circulation to redeposit into the brain, fetus, breastmilk and other organs. Unless bound with something like Vit C, selenium, clay, zeolite. The "reactions" such as headache, brain fog, lethargy, nausea could be the die-off and toxins from the candida and/or mercury circulating.

Panserbjorne is the resident expert about this, I believe.

Please comment on Susun Weed letter titled "Candida is a helper. It is keeping you healthy!"

Pat
So are you saying having extra vit C would be beneficial?
#247 of 325 Old 05-24-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post
So are you saying having extra vit C would be beneficial?
Heading to bed. But, yes; however, caution on excess CO along with mercury issues.

Pat

I have a blog.
#248 of 325 Old 05-27-2009, 02:33 AM

:

Whew! I just made it through this whole thread/ I have never heard of any of this before but it is fascinating. I think I'm going to have to buy myself some VCO and ACV!
#249 of 325 Old 06-06-2009, 04:13 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#250 of 325 Old 06-06-2009, 04:39 PM

I don't follow a TF diet (I'm a vegetarian) but I have added coconut oil, raw honey, and light exercise (maybe 10 minutes a day?) and have lost 20 lbs. Nothing else has changed about my diet (until recently, I cut out dairy due to an allergy suspicion, but I lost the weight before that) I can't be sure, but anecdotally speaking, I have lost weight since adding co to my diet.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#251 of 325 Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM

Upon reading this thread (up to pg 3 so far) I am going to take 1T CO and ACV in the morning and evening. Hoping this helps - I have 50 lbs to lose. I'm on a top 8 elim. diet for my nursling but I'm also taking domperidone and that increases hunger. Maybe the CO will help me feel more full

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#252 of 325 Old 06-25-2009, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
good luck with it !
I've not been consistent with it and make poor food choices lately but now have stock of VCO and AVC so should start soon again (reading that you have the same amount to loose as I have is a little motivating for me .....)

what is exactly a top 8 Elim. diet ?
If you have time I d'like to hear more about that ...
#253 of 325 Old 06-25-2009, 09:37 AM

Top 8 Elimination diet is eliminating milk, soy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, and wheat to avoid allergens for a nursing baby.

I give HUGE high fives for anyone that can do that for an extended period of time. You are amazingly strong!

I think I might try this ACV/CO diet. I really should be trying to get more CO in my diet. I use it for cooking and wear it topically, but I probably should be eating more of it straight.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#254 of 325 Old 06-26-2009, 12:26 PM

So I've been doing this for a while now and I don't think it's helping me lose weight. Changing my workouts to be more productive and watching the junk has helped though. Once I started that I lost about 12 lbs.

I'm still taking the co though, but for health benefits, not weight loss.
#255 of 325 Old 06-26-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
So I've been doing this for a while now and I don't think it's helping me lose weight. Changing my workouts to be more productive and watching the junk has helped though. Once I started that I lost about 12 lbs.

I'm still taking the co though, but for health benefits, not weight loss.
Yep. It's woeking for me, adding CO, cutting out industrial oils & products, grains, and most sugar. Just adding CO to my old diet would not have done much, I think. I've lost 23 lbs, take 1-3 TBs of CO a day.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#256 of 325 Old 09-03-2009, 03:45 AM

Wanted to give this a bump! I'm going to try this and see if it helps!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#257 of 325 Old 09-03-2009, 04:11 PM

I have not done it for more than a week at a time but it helps me tremendously with my nightime cravings. It eliminates them all together. I'm starting back on this as well since its supposed to help with virus's (swine flu)too.
#258 of 325 Old 09-03-2009, 06:12 PM

I started it today! I feel much better right now. Normally I am sleepy and sluggish. I work nights and I think this is going to help!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#259 of 325 Old 09-05-2009, 01:00 PM

I'm starting today, too. I had trouble mentally gearing up for the daily acv and CO last time I tried this, but I have more CO tricks up my sleeve now.

I have a silicone mini muffin pan and I used it to make little CO-pb "candies." I know *I* shouldn't have a lot of peanut butter if I'm aiming for weight loss (I do best on low carb), BUT I like the flavor a LOT better when the CO has some Pb in it. I did 1 part PB:2 parts CO and then added a little sea salt and a few drops of green (unrefined) stevia (but it wasn't really necessary). Each candy is about 1 Tbs total so that's 1/3 Tbs peanut butter and 2/3 Tbs EVCO. I can easily eat these...yum! I will have to remember to start out pretty slow... (however, I'm not going from zero CO...I use it in my smoothies already and on occasional popcorn...)

The acv is harder for me to get down. I have a friend who was taking a daily shot for health reasons and she burned her esophagus and had to stop taking it for a while. Her doctor pointed out that the bottle says to dilute for a reason...

This morning I diluted acv in water and added a few drops of green stevia. It was OK, but I'll keep experimenting. (and I might need to invest in a straw) I'd rather NOT use honey (too much sugar for me), but I know for a fact that it makes it taste *much* better.

BTW, I have about 20-30 pounds to loose. Can I still call it "baby weight" when my youngest is 4? He stopped breastfeeding in his third year and I'd hoped it would fall off then, but even 1/2 marathon training (last year) and breast cancer 3-day (60 mile walk) training (current) haven't budged it. I have a healthy, mostly TF diet...

Honestly, I'd rather not resort to something that feels like a fad diet (this comes close in my mind considering I'm forcing it down separate from my real food). The science behind including CO in the diet is sound, it's just the extreme amount that's throwing me off. I'm healing a lifetime of less-than-ideal choices (and sugar addiction) so I guess I'll have to resort to drastic things to get back on "track".

Besides upping my EVCO, I just bought some refined CO from Tropical Traditions (they use steam, not chemical, deodorizing) and I will be able to use it in more foods for the whole family (they'd rather NOT taste it ). Plus, I'm stocking up on grass-fed butter while it's still really deep yellow (before the fall). The farm where we buy cheese and milk was selling seasonal, fresh, raw, salted butter and I easily ate a large amount yesterday and today. : Sooooo, in general, I plan to up the fats in my diet (with EVCO, CO, butter, and pastured bacon grease) and see where it takes me as far as sugar/carb cravings/control, appetite suppression, hair/skin/nails, etc.

Sorry for such a long post!
#260 of 325 Old 09-05-2009, 07:20 PM

I've started again and have lost about 6lb in about 2 weeks
but I also was ill with a virus and finished breastfeeding so I'm less hungry overall ... maybe I was loosing weight too fast because over the last week I felt like having crisps in 3 separate occasions and was surprised to see the number on the scale going down anyway ...

+ I shared a special pudding with DH (but it felt too sweet and off putting in the end and anyway creating problems with my feet, not the first time it happened with industrial sugar ...), not the best food choices .... but overall I feel I'm having a much healthier outlook about which food I'm about to eat ....

am now at either one tablespoon per day or two

these days, I like to mix both CO and ACV in milk kefir, with a teaspoon of chocolate powder and "fake" sugar (can't yet wean myself from that stuff ...wish I could)

baught a good supply of CO so am hoping that i'll keep to eat for a few months (have at least 20 lb to loose)

anyone knows more about medium chain transfat and why it works ?
#261 of 325 Old 09-05-2009, 11:17 PM

I've found the easiest way for me to get the CO down is in a small glass of OJ. I think it tastes great. : Also, I mix a tbls in my oatmeal and I can hardly taste it. The Barleens brand tastes so much better than my previous CO. I have no problems with ACV b/c I love making salad dressings with it and don't even mind it alone.
#262 of 325 Old 09-09-2009, 09:00 PM

lost another pound .... am going to TRY not to be distracted & trying to keep up with 2 tablespoons per day..
#263 of 325 Old 09-12-2009, 12:10 AM

Well, I have heard about coconut oil for a long time and finally got some yesterday to give it a try. I am borderline hypothyroid and my energy level is all over the place, depends on the day. Usually by evening I am so tired that I need to keep eating to keep my energy level up so to finish my daily chores. Eating in the evening or late at night is my downfall so I try to stop that. I was hoping the coconut oil will fill me up so I wouldn't be so hungry in the evening.

I had about a teaspoon of coconut oil (ate it straight solid from a spoon) last night. Didn't gag or anything... in fact, I didn't mind the taste or the texture at all. I probably could eat one tablespoon but someone here said to take it slow so I ate just one teaspoon.

At dinner tonight, I melted one tablespoon of coconut oil and mixed it with one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar for my salad. It actually tasted decent. I was hoping that the extra 130 calories of fat would fill me up longer. Unfortunately by 8 O'clock I was starving again.

The sad thing is, I had added 130 calories in my dinner so now I have to keep my snack small. I will try to go to bed early so I won't have to starve until bedtime.
#264 of 325 Old 09-12-2009, 09:33 AM

I've been eating a lot of CO (well, CO and peanut butter candies ), but I haven't gotten down the acv yet...I'll try to add it soon.

I didn't have digestive issues with the CO last week, but I think I might this week. I do have trouble eating enough food...I've gotten light-headed a few times from lack of food...I'm just not hungry! BUT I don't want my body to drop into starvation mode. This week I am eating less CO and trying to remember to eat more food.

The scale hasn't moved, but I'm in the middle of my cycle so we'll see how it all ends up in a few days.

I really shouldn't start everything at once, but I also added raw honey at bedtime b/c I needed some good sleep and...Ive had 4 amazing nights of sleep!

I wake up hungry and very "clean" feeling and I think it's the CO affecting my metabolism.
#265 of 325 Old 09-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Hmmm.... I will try to mix some coconut oil with some cocoa powder and honey to see how it will taste. That should be a pretty good evening snack. :
#266 of 325 Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 PM

I tried that last night; it was interesting. After adding honey and cocoa powder the oil didn't go back to solid state. I put it in the fridge but the honey remained on the bottom, separated from most of the "chocolate". So part of the mixture was very sweet while the rest was not sweet enough. I probably will try using sugar instead of honey for my next attempt.
#267 of 325 Old 09-13-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althetrainer View Post
Well, I have heard about coconut oil for a long time and finally got some yesterday to give it a try. I am borderline hypothyroid and my energy level is all over the place, depends on the day. Usually by evening I am so tired that I need to keep eating to keep my energy level up so to finish my daily chores. Eating in the evening or late at night is my downfall so I try to stop that. I was hoping the coconut oil will fill me up so I wouldn't be so hungry in the evening.

I had about a teaspoon of coconut oil (ate it straight solid from a spoon) last night. Didn't gag or anything... in fact, I didn't mind the taste or the texture at all. I probably could eat one tablespoon but someone here said to take it slow so I ate just one teaspoon.

At dinner tonight, I melted one tablespoon of coconut oil and mixed it with one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar for my salad. It actually tasted decent. I was hoping that the extra 130 calories of fat would fill me up longer. Unfortunately by 8 O'clock I was starving again.

The sad thing is, I had added 130 calories in my dinner so now I have to keep my snack small. I will try to go to bed early so I won't have to starve until bedtime.
Just curious- how long have you been using the CO? I found it took a while for me to notice it affecting my appetite, it wasn't instant. (Also I experienced a simultaneous decrease of sugar cravings, and was actually more hungry for a week or so until it kicked in...)

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#268 of 325 Old 09-13-2009, 07:03 PM

Also, just found some recipes for salad dressings using coconut oil. I might play around with the last one for dinner tonight, about to make a salad... but i'm intrigued by the buttermilk one!

http://coconut-recipes.blogspot.com/...-dressing.html

And also try using this as a base for salad dressings, more tasty:
MARY'S OIL BLEND
1/3 melted coconut oil
1/3 sesame oil - expeller pressed
1/3 100% olive oil

Discussed more here:
http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...l-blend-2.html

#269 of 325 Old 09-13-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althetrainer View Post
I tried that last night; it was interesting. After adding honey and cocoa powder the oil didn't go back to solid state. I put it in the fridge but the honey remained on the bottom, separated from most of the "chocolate". So part of the mixture was very sweet while the rest was not sweet enough. I probably will try using sugar instead of honey for my next attempt.
I always use honey and thats never happened. The recipe I use is 1 part coconut oil, 1 part peanut butter, honey (I use less than one part honey but you may want it sweeter), cocoa powder. Then combine. You can then put it in the fridge (about 15 min)so its easier to form into balls. Then roll in shredded coconut. Sometimes I add in some oatmeal that I grind finer to make it thicker and then I just spoon it on a plate covered in cling wrap so they come off easy. Then I put them in the freezer for around 10 min to harden. My husband has started making them too but adds in hemp seeds, dried cranberries,cashews,raisins etc. He likes it better w lots of stuff in it. There is a thread with some recipes for coconut balls. Here is the link. Good luck. They are really good!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=coconut+balls
#270 of 325 Old 09-14-2009, 12:49 AM

Betsy, I have just started. You could be right about it takes time for my body to respond. I will continue for a few more days. I like coconut oil, don't even mind that waxy texture when it's out from the fridge. The only part I don't like about it is the calories. I watch my total caloric intakes every day and when I dump an additional 130 or even 260 calories into my meal plans, it's very difficult not to have to cut something else out. But I love to eat! LOL By the way, when you use CO as salad dressing, do you notice the oil turn back into tiny whit balls? Not that I minded but I just wonder how other people eat it in salad...

es1967, thanks for the link and the ideas. They sound very delicious. I am afraid too delicious and I may end up eating too many of them. LOL I probably use too much honey; it was 1:1 CO and honey. I don't mind using less because I don't have a very sweet tooth and I don't normally crave carbs. When I am hungry I go for the fats! Goat milk kefir and nuts etc. That's why I want to eat some fat early in the evening to curb my fat craving later.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page