Have you lost weight with the coconut oil? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2008, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I started out this whole thing reading Eat Fat Lose Fat...I try adding the coconut oil in each morning, I can't do all 3 meals, its just too much.
Ok, so thats 180 calories...and with my cod liver oil that makes my supplements at 300 calories a day which is a lot that I'd rather be eating in food...I just don't find it filling me up like it claims to and I'm not sure what it might be doing with my metabolism...
Anyway, thought I'd check with you all to see who has had some luck with it...

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Way too much!!!! I have to limit my CO intake, or I loose to much weight. That and ACV.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:33 PM

I'm distinctly warmer now that I'm consuming coconut fat regularly (I'm doing it with coconut milk). My thyroid was very low a few years ago, and I got it up to where I was feeling functional but not great, and now I feel probably just slightly off. So I could see weight loss happening in someone else with this scenario. But most of my weight came off when I cut out a couple allergenic foods, for me gluten and dairy. The weight just fell off, without effort (I was just trying to feed the family now that we were gfcf, so I'd eat as much as I wanted). So I'd consider whether there could be a food intolerance as well.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I'm distinctly warmer now that I'm consuming coconut fat regularly (I'm doing it with coconut milk). My thyroid was very low a few years ago, and I got it up to where I was feeling functional but not great, and now I feel probably just slightly off. So I could see weight loss happening in someone else with this scenario. But most of my weight came off when I cut out a couple allergenic foods, for me gluten and dairy. The weight just fell off, without effort (I was just trying to feed the family now that we were gfcf, so I'd eat as much as I wanted). So I'd consider whether there could be a food intolerance as well.
How would you know if there was a food intolerance, besides being unable to lose weight?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaW View Post
How would you know if there was a food intolerance, besides being unable to lose weight?
Good question, but I don't have a good answer. A lot of folks seem to have digestive troubles, but I didn't/don't. I figured it out as part of the larger picture of why I was hypothyroid and my adrenals were messed up, but that's not very universally helpful, I realize. Eliminating foods is a pain, especially things like gluten and dairy which are so much a part of our food culture, but a lot of people have issues with foods, often with gluten and dairy specifically, so maybe trying it and seeing is the best bet.

I never did any actual testing, but I know there are tests for both IgG and IgE allergies, the folks in the Allergies forum know more, so that's one place to look for guidance. I think there's a way to eat foods, maybe first thing in the morning? and if your pulse changes quite a bit (obviously not clear on the details) then it's a stress on the body and should be avoided. Not sure on the details (obviously!) but it was interesting.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:58 PM

I'm been meaning to spend more time here, so I'm sorry if this has been asked over and over, but coconut oil helps you lose weight?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Way too much!!!! I have to limit my CO intake, or I loose to much weight. That and ACV.

How do you take your ACV? Yesterday I made the Bragg's tonic (one glass water, 1 tsp ACV, and a little raw honey) It kinda made my throat scratchy and then later that day it felt like my insides were scratchy. I hope that makes sense, lol.

I actually didn't put much honey, I like kombucha so the taste didn't bother me. Maybe more honey will help the scratchy-ness?? I don't know??
Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Whats the reason for taking the ACV?

So the coconut oil does work for getting weight off for you? Is it that it fills you up?

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Good question, but I don't have a good answer. A lot of folks seem to have digestive troubles, but I didn't/don't. I figured it out as part of the larger picture of why I was hypothyroid and my adrenals were messed up, but that's not very universally helpful, I realize. Eliminating foods is a pain, especially things like gluten and dairy which are so much a part of our food culture, but a lot of people have issues with foods, often with gluten and dairy specifically, so maybe trying it and seeing is the best bet.

I never did any actual testing, but I know there are tests for both IgG and IgE allergies, the folks in the Allergies forum know more, so that's one place to look for guidance. I think there's a way to eat foods, maybe first thing in the morning? and if your pulse changes quite a bit (obviously not clear on the details) then it's a stress on the body and should be avoided. Not sure on the details (obviously!) but it was interesting.
This is interesting. I don't really want to go GF or dairy free. I have considered GF and could prob do it if I needed to. The thing that is interesting is watching foods cause the pulse increase which I totally do from time to time. I need to start watching what it is...

My weight is totally due to too many calories as I love to eat lots of food. I get good exercise, but not enough to offset the number of calories I consume. When I watch the calories just a wee bit, I lose the weight. So now that 8 lbs showed up over the last holiday, I have started watching things again.

I read about the CO and understand how it works. It does make me a bit warmer, but the extra calories are worrysome to me, especially since I'd rather be eating...

I might try to go with the cocnut milk. Thats at least something that sounds more palatable to me.

Thanks ladies!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I could never tolerate taht much coconut oil without feeling ill, and taking that much CO as a supplement got expensive, so I stopped.

I still use CO in cooking, but I don't drink or eat it plain anymore.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 12-02-2008, 10:26 PM

It hasn't made me lose weight but when I eat enough saturated fat (and having CO as a supplemet ensures that) I feel better which makes me eat better. Since it revs up the thyroid, it makes sense since my is borderline hypo.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 AM

What is ACV?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:32 AM

I first learned about raw apple cider vinegar and coconut oil form Kevin Tredeu, the famous guy always on TV trying to sell his book, "Natural Cures"

Let me tell you about a friend of mine on weight watchers. One day when I saw her in town, she said that she just went on WW. I told her the secret to weight loss, of 1 Tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and cold pressed coconut oil each. Take it once in the morning and once before bed. I said to just give it a try for a week. After a month, I saw her again, and oh my goodness, she looked amazing. Her clothes were barely staying on her. I said that WW must have been going well. Then she confessed that right after I saw her before, she got so busy and quit WW and went right onto acv and coconut oil!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 AM

I have been doing it for a few days. I definitely last longer in between meals and don't want to eat as much at meal time

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
Old 12-03-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb123 View Post
What is ACV?
apple cider vinegar
Old 12-03-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharr610 View Post
So I started out this whole thing reading Eat Fat Lose Fat...I try adding the coconut oil in each morning, I can't do all 3 meals, its just too much.
Ok, so thats 180 calories...and with my cod liver oil that makes my supplements at 300 calories a day which is a lot that I'd rather be eating in food...I just don't find it filling me up like it claims to and I'm not sure what it might be doing with my metabolism...
Anyway, thought I'd check with you all to see who has had some luck with it...
I've been reading EFLF too and have been following the weight loss guidelines for about a week now. I haven't incorporated the straight CO before meals into my diet yet--tried it once in tea and sorry, it was yucky!--but I have been cooking more in CO and eating foods containing coconut milk. (I've also drastically cut down my carb intake and have been eating only two slices of Ezekiel bread daily and minimal other grains.) I have been taking the CLO daily. I have lost 4 pounds this first week!! really!! this after many many false starts on WW so I am sold. I have been so generous with fats it's ridiculous, seriously I have been using like a stick of butter a day in my cooking. Yum yum yum. Hope this keeps up!

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
Old 12-03-2008, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

congrats Sarah! I did good in the beginning as well, but I think I tried varying things too quick. May you continue in your success! I totally believe in the plan.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I first learned about raw apple cider vinegar and coconut oil form Kevin Tredeu, the famous guy always on TV trying to sell his book, "Natural Cures"

Let me tell you about a friend of mine on weight watchers. One day when I saw her in town, she said that she just went on WW. I told her the secret to weight loss, of 1 Tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and cold pressed coconut oil each. Take it once in the morning and once before bed. I said to just give it a try for a week. After a month, I saw her again, and oh my goodness, she looked amazing. Her clothes were barely staying on her. I said that WW must have been going well. Then she confessed that right after I saw her before, she got so busy and quit WW and went right onto acv and coconut oil!
Delurking to ask some questions if that's ok. I try to live as tf as possible with limited funds.

Do you have to eat the co and acv straight or could you blend it into a smoothie?

Also, I am nursing. Are these ok for a nursing mama?

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 12-04-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
I told her the secret to weight loss, of 1 Tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and cold pressed coconut oil each. Take it once in the morning and once before bed.
How do you advise taking these? Especially the ACV? Thanks!!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:48 PM

Also wondering how to take the ACV and CO.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

Old 12-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Delurking to ask some questions if that's ok. I try to live as tf as possible with limited funds.

Do you have to eat the co and acv straight or could you blend it into a smoothie?

Also, I am nursing. Are these ok for a nursing mama?

I don't use co for weight loss (it does make it hard for me to maintain as I am also nursing) but I thought I'd offer suggestions about how to incorporate it without having to choke it down straight, ick. I use it anywhere a recipe calls for an oil - if the flavor is an issue I will use the expeller pressed kind that doesn't taste coconutty, but usually go for the extra virgin. You can use it on toast in place of butter, and one thing I like a lot is to spread a little pat on each bite as I eat a banana.

Coconut oil is great for a nursing mama as it increases the lauric acid content in your breast milk, which is excellent for the little one's immune system.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:44 PM

How much are you supposed to take a day (for a nursing mom).
Old 12-06-2008, 01:53 AM

I mixed a teaspoon of coconut oil with hersheys cocoa powder (unsweetened) with some splenda. I put it in the freezer for a few minutes so it was cool. It was so tasty! Yum! I think it would be even better with some stevia, but I didn't have any.

I'm trying the ACV recipe on the Braggs bottle, it's not bad.

I can't wait to see the results from this!

jog.gifkid.gif

Old 12-06-2008, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom View Post
I don't use co for weight loss (it does make it hard for me to maintain as I am also nursing) but I thought I'd offer suggestions about how to incorporate it without having to choke it down straight, ick. I use it anywhere a recipe calls for an oil - if the flavor is an issue I will use the expeller pressed kind that doesn't taste coconutty, but usually go for the extra virgin. You can use it on toast in place of butter, and one thing I like a lot is to spread a little pat on each bite as I eat a banana.

Coconut oil is great for a nursing mama as it increases the lauric acid content in your breast milk, which is excellent for the little one's immune system.
Thanks!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 AM

To get a whole tablespoon of coconut oil down, I store it in a warm place so it liquefies. Then I just put it in my mouth, and wash it back with water. I do the same with the raw ACV.

Just a note, I am pretty sure that the coconut oil has to be virgin since that source is from the meat. I know walmart sells coconut oil, but I don't know how good the results are going to be. And the walmart brand isn't virgin, and has chemical added that you don't want in you body.

I am a nursing mom, and use the coconut oil, and give it to my toddler. I usually combine it half and half with butter. My nursling has leaky gut, so I love to give these fats to her.

I have heard that coconut oil is great for yeast issues. I think to deal with this, you need something like 4 tablespoons a day.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:49 PM

So 1 tbs a day? And how much acv do you take?
Old 12-06-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
So 1 tbs a day? And how much acv do you take?
For weight loss, I suggest
in the morning 1 tablespoon of CO and ACV each, and
repeat in the evening.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:42 PM

Bluebirdmama1,
Does the ACV give you a scratchy throat? I've been drinking the Braggs tonic this week, so maybe if I just down a tablespoon and then wash it down with water it will have less time to irritate my throat.

I'm taking virgin coconut oil, about 2 tsp in my shake in the morning and some throughout the day. I like to put it on toast with a little nut butter. So far I'm maintaining my weight (hey, it's the holiday season normally I gain some between Thanksgiving and Christmas) I exercise almost everyday day and I take a green tea extract supplement. I'm hoping after all the holiday madness dies down I'll begin to lose a bit.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:11 AM

I'm doing the CO and ACV thing too. It's going really well so far and I feel great.

Quote:
I'm distinctly warmer now that I'm consuming coconut fat regularly (I'm doing it with coconut milk).
I usually have cold feet. Last night I tried CO for the first night before bed. During the night my feet felt so warm, like heat was radiating from them. I hope that means my metabolism is increasing

jog.gifkid.gif

Old 12-07-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
To get a whole tablespoon of coconut oil down, I store it in a warm place so it liquefies.
Thank you for this!

A long time ago I tried CO on hot water or tea and didn't the oil floating on top or the way it would affect the taste of the tea/water SO I thought I needed it to be solid and I gag when I try to get that down (semi-solid glob). I do like nut butter, honey, CO balls, but that wasn't helping me loose weight . HOWEVER, after reading your tip, bluebirdmama1, I have been warming up a Tbs in the toaster oven for a minute while I get the acv and a big glass of water. I can just drink it when it's warm and liquid...amazing without the gag...thanks!!

I feel good with the CO-acv combo and hopefully it will combine with the running I do to help me drop some extra weight I've carried since my second was born (3 years ago..)

Thanks!

User Tag List