coconut oil question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-06-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had read about coconut oil and bought some at an Indian food store and it was way cheaper than my grocery store. It has been in my fridge for awhile and I should probably start using it. I am just not used to it.
My questions are, how long does it last in the fridge?, and is it of less quality if it is not a big name brand one and from a foreign market?
Please excuse my ignorance... I do have nourishing traditions so I can read more about it as well...
Thanks!

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-07-2008, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At room temp, coconut oil will last over a year since it's so saturated, so in the frig, I can't imagine how much longer it would last--5 years? Maybe more.

It may have been cheaper just because they have a good source, or maybe it is refined. Refined CO doesn't taste coconutty, and I'm not sure how many grades there are between unrefined virgin and refined not-at-all-coconutty. I use the refined stuff sometimes, as a compromise, but it's not as good (nutritionally) as unrefined.
#3 of 4 Old 12-07-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, that helps!

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

#4 of 4 Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM

I think VCO can definitely last at least a year out of the fridge. It's very saturated and so does not go rancid like the PUFs or MUFs. I never keep it in the fridge b/c it gets too hard. I keep it on the counter all year long. In the SUmmer, it's liquid and I put in in a container w/ a pour spout. In the Winter, it's solid and I keep it in a wide mouth jar so I can scoop it out as needed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page