Mothering Forum banner

why does kombucha give me heartburn?

15K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  kittyhead 
#1 ·
its so yummy and good, but it always gives me wicked heartburn. the bottled stuff from the store and my friend's homemade. ouch. when i look it up, it is touted as a cure for heartburn... so what gives?

i used to have horrible reflux problems, but pregnancy somehow cured me (?) and i havent had heartburn since my son was born 2.5 years ago. i used to get stomach aches every day. but every time i try kombucha it comes back! all of the foods that used to trigger it are fine now, red sauce and coffee and everything. only kombucha, delicious kombucha, give me problems.

yesterday i drank some kombucha and then cleaned my house, and every time i bent down to pick something up i could feel this awful burn up my esophagus.

i like kombucha, but my digestive system hates it.

am i the only one?

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
How much are you drinking?

The carbonated, fizzy one makes about everyone belch. You could let it go flat before drinking it.

Pat
i could try letting it go flat.

i drink sparkling mineral water, and it doesnt make my stomach hurt. but ill give it a shot.

yesterday i drank half of a bottle.. so about 8 oz.

#4 ·
The ph of kombucha is about 4.5, iirc. It is very acidic. ACV is ph 5.0, I believe.

You might try drinking smaller amounts, or sip over a longer period of time to allow the acid not to be so much at once on your stomach.

I drink it for the probiotic benefits. It is tasty, but I don't drink much at a time.

Letting it go flat might help with the reflux.

HTH, Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.